Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Altostrata

• Mentor

I can see how that technique could help you fall asleep but my problem is waking up every 2 hrs or so

what do they do for that?

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Mentor
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

H2H, I am highly skeptical of these claims made for "superfoods," they push food fads.

Mourad, if you have withdrawal insomnia, the sleep studies will not be helpful. All they will do is show you're not sleeping, which you already know. For the most part, they are diagnostics for sleep apnea, a breathing condition.

I didn't see any claims about superfoods

the article points out that there are foods that contain melatonin and that it takes very little in the food to have a much greater affect on amnt in the body.

didn't link to it, but just watched a second video on pistachios having the most melatonin. and you only need to eat 2 of them LOL I'm gonna give it a try, I love pistachios anyway lol

for those of us who are averse to taking pills, but have sleep issues, I don't see how it could hurt to try adding some of these foods to see if they help

I don't go in for all that super food craze, either, nor all the "dieticians' selling expensive supplements and cleanses and all that nonsense.

you need a wide variety of healthy whole foods for good health.

but if you think you *might* be low on one thing  or another, it might be helpful to include a bit of foods that have that thing in them, whether is fiber, or phytochemicals, a ALA or melatonin

surely a LOT safer than popping pills that aren't even regulated to know if they've contain what they claim to have in them imho

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

• Administrator

I would not discount the placebo effect, and eating a few goji berries or pistachios probably can't do any harm.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
57 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I would not discount the placebo effect, and eating a few goji berries or pistachios probably can't do any harm.

I never discount the placebo effect  😂

too bad that the placebo effect of ADs and other psych drugs came with the very real damaging effects. what's the worst thing a few nuts or berries can do? (assuming they're not poisonous or rancid lol)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/5/2018 at 4:02 AM, dj2010 said:

been a lot of articles about a new insomnia technique the last couple days, worth a try for people struggling

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6124063/Secret-military-technique-help-fall-asleep-night.html

Is this the end of insomnia? The secret US military technique that could help you fall asleep in as little as TWO MINUTES

Firstly, you have to relax the muscles in your face, including your tongue, jaw, and the muscles that are around your eyes. 

Then you should drop your shoulders as low as they'll go before relaxing your upper and lower arm on one side, and then the other.

Step three involves breathing and says you should breathe out, relax your chest and then, finally, relax your legs. You should start with your thighs and then move to your lower legs.  

Once you've relaxed your body for ten seconds, you have to then clear your mind completely.  

According to the book, these three methods may help you do that: 

Firstly, picture yourself lying in a canoe on a calm lake, nothing but blue sky above you.

You can also picture yourself snuggled in a black velvet hammock in a pitch-black room.

And finally, you can also try saying 'don't think, don't think, don't think' over and over again for ten seconds. 

This sounds a lot like progressive muscle relaxation, which I often use to help me fall asleep.  It isn't new, or secret! 

Also, it's all very well saying relax this and relax that, but the problem is most people can't relax, and it doesn't actually say how.  With PMR, you contract the muscle first and then relax it.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Moodyblues78 posted this on my thread Tao of the Brassmonkey and I think it has some merit in helping with sleep so I'm reposting it here:

"When I was at my worst I developed a method that would help me sleep. After an exhausting day of just surviving I would go to bed, raise my hands up, open my palms and just observe my symptoms. I would talk to them calmly and invite them all to come. Now I have time. Lets talk. I don't mean you should keep your hands in the air. Just keep them above your head on the bed.  Usually this took the bad feelings away from my many many symptoms and I could relax. Even sleep. You get better at it as you practice."  

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

On 9/3/2018 at 9:21 PM, Altostrata said:

Mourad, if you have withdrawal insomnia, the sleep studies will not be helpful. All they will do is show you're not sleeping, which you already know. For the most part, they are diagnostics for sleep apnea, a breathing condition.

Thanks, Altostrata, for confirming this, it's what I was afraid of: the site of the sleep clinic is all about respiratory issues. It won't be of much use.

Paxil/Seroxat/paroxetine 10 mg for over 20 years

Several failed attempts at quitting

Slow tapering since June 2016 using liquid paroxetine

Presently stabilising at 0,15 ml (0,3 mg) because of the worst withdrawal so far

June 2017: tried tapering further to 0,1 ml (0,2 mg) but that backfired badly. Stabilising again at 0,15 ml.

July 15, 2017: down to 0

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I did not read the whole thread, I'm very scared and I can not read some things.

Does someone have difficulty staying asleep? Not falling asleep? is it strange what happens to me?

I fall asleep easily, only at night, not during the day. but then I wake up in 2 or 3 hours and I do not go back to sleep anymore. this is normal in wd? or is it another problem?

Since JUN 2016: Sertraline. Took for 1 year, reduced & removed from 100 mg in 2 months. OFF Sertraline since 11 AUG 2017

-OCT and NOV 2017: Hipericum-St.Johns Worth

-25 DEC 2017: took sertraline 1 pill 50 mg

-Since end DEC 2017: Diazepam 5 mg. Reduced gradually. OFF Diazepam since 30 MAR 2018. 

-Since end DEC 2017: magnesium, omega3. 

• Mentor
2 hours ago, musk said:

Sorry I did not read the whole thread, I'm very scared and I can not read some things.

Does someone have difficulty staying asleep? Not falling asleep? is it strange what happens to me?

I fall asleep easily, only at night, not during the day. but then I wake up in 2 or 3 hours and I do not go back to sleep anymore. this is normal in wd? or is it another problem?

I don't know how many others have this issue, musk, but that's been my problem through out most of WD recovery, I can fall asleep but I don't stay asleep

at first I could only sleep maybe 20 mins! per night. it was awful.

It gradually got better, so that I could sleep up to 2 hrs at a time.

this sleep issue is the one I've had the longest. 

I would put on a very long youtube video of relaxing meditations and listen to them. It helps if you can just rest, even if you're not actually sleeping. and if you're lucky you may drift back to sleep for a bit.

I read a book that helped me, I wish I could remember the title but it was about insomnia. It said that sleep is a primary drive, so regardless of whether you believe you've been asleep, you will actually sleep. (a lot of times we sleep and are not aware of it, like those micro sleeps that they discovered some long distance drivers were having... and I'm sure other tired people as well)

Knowing this helped me to relax a LOT! we're always hearing how important sleep is, so if you're having trouble sleeping, this can make you even more anxious about waking up and having trouble getting back to sleep.

• Mentor

little update on the pistachio experiment, absolutely no difference in  my sleep (falling asleep nor staying asleep)
Pistachios are supposed to be full of melatonin

melatonin pills didn't help either

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve gone through many stages of sleep issues.  Just wanted to share that what’s helping right now (until next phase) is ghee at bedtime, I take 1 tsp pasture-sourced.  The idea is the short chain fatty acids help the microbiome and replace the SCFA’s that bacteria should be supporting you with through the night.  If you have a higher blood sugar (you’d have to buy a home glucometer to measure this) upon awakening than going to bed, there’s a problem with your insulin/cortisol/blood sugar regulation at night. Also, I have had many “brain on fire” sorts of symptoms through the last 6 yrs.  When I had nutrient testing, I was extremely low in glycine which is part of the whole GABA/glutamate balancing process. I have taken it now for about 2 yrs.  I never felt it helping, but I do sleep better now, at least most of the time.  You can buy glycine plain, 1/8 tsp was same amt as supplement my doctor prescribed.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 5 weeks later...

Good video on the importance of sleep.

He says serotonin converts to melatonin—the sleep hormone. I didn't know this until now. This may explain why we have a difficult time falling asleep. He also says sunlight is key for serotonin production. You can get around this, however, with some kind of high lumen light fixture. So, I'll be bringing my Happy Light to work tomorrow.

In this vid or a different one, he says nutrients are processed when we move, so excercise is important. Doesn't have to be an Iron Man competition. Yoga and walking are what I'm doing right now.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• Administrator

There is a relationship between melatonin and serotonin, but serotonin imbalance doesn't exist. The serotonin aspect of this is a red herring.

Sunlight resets our internal clocks via the pineal gland for sleep cycle regulation. The pineal gland causes the release of melatonin when your world gets dark.

Getting sunlight every day assists in triggering of melatonin at the right time in the evening. Artificial light at the wrong times of day can confuse the sleep cycle. To reinforce your natural sleep cycle, use therapeutic lights only when it's light outside. (And get off the computer early in the evening!)

Exercise is indeed important, as it improves body functioning, including hormonal activity, overall -- and if you do it under natural light, your pineal gland is getting the proper signals as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

comforting to hear for anyone suffering with withdrawal insomnia:

Insomnia: 'No link' between sleepless nights and early death

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46223386

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font size

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

• Mentor
On 11/17/2018 at 9:52 AM, dj2010 said:

comforting to hear for anyone suffering with withdrawal insomnia:

Insomnia: 'No link' between sleepless nights and early death

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46223386

I read a book about a year ago that explained that sleep is a primary drive, so that even if you feel like you aren't sleeping, you are.

that was a relief to hear. I wish I could remember the title of the book 😕

currently working my way through this thread (still on page one) and reading Quiet Your Mind and get to sleep - and the info from both sources is in agreement. pretty sure that's a good sign.

I'm going to try the bath with Epson Salts and baking soda as soon as I go out and get some. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Moderator Emeritus
41 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

I read a book about a year ago that explained that sleep is a primary drive, so that even if you feel like you aren't sleeping, you are.

that was a relief to hear. I wish I could remember the title of the book

Was it:  The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It by W. Chris Winter M.D.

I found this statement:  Dr. Winter explains "Sleep is a primary drive and that no pills are needed." on https://startsleeping.org/

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Was it:  The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It by W. Chris Winter M.D.

I found this statement:  Dr. Winter explains "Sleep is a primary drive and that no pills are needed." on https://startsleeping.org/

ah that must be it!

I sounds vaguely familiar. I read a bunch books on insomnia in the past couple of years 

As I understood that, it means that you may not get as much sleep as you want or that is optimal but your body will basically force a shut down at some point.

I found it very comforting when the insomnia was esp troubling.

in fact, as soon as I read it, I stopped worrying so much about the sleep I wasn't getting and starting sleeping better, more often

now I sleep pretty well more often than not, but I remember how comforting it was to read that one line.  I stopped trying to find the "magic potion" that would help me sleep longer (I had no trouble falling asleep, it was staying asleep that was the issue for most of acute WD)

edited to add: clicked on that link and it darn near undid all the good of hearing that sleep is a primary drive LOL it's full of warnings about how bad lack of sleep is for you. 

sheesh!!

I strongly recommend that if sleep is your problem, just read this one paragraph LOL
"Dr. Christopher Winter, dubbed "The Sleep Whisperer" by Ariana Huffington, and author of The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It, explains that your attitude towards sleep is extremely important. He said, "When you talk with good sleepers, they have a flip-flops-and-Hacky-Sack mentality toward their sleep. "Whatever, dude." Within them is an inner belief that they are going to basically be okay no matter what happens that night in bed. This is the mentality that you must find, or you will be doomed to struggle forever."

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 3:06 PM, Happy2Heal said:

I strongly recommend that if sleep is your problem, just read this one paragraph LOL
"Dr. Christopher Winter, dubbed "The Sleep Whisperer" by Ariana Huffington, and author of The Sleep Solution: Why Your Sleep is Broken and How to Fix It, explains that your attitude towards sleep is extremely important. He said, "When you talk with good sleepers, they have a flip-flops-and-Hacky-Sack mentality toward their sleep. "Whatever, dude." Within them is an inner belief that they are going to basically be okay no matter what happens that night in bed. This is the mentality that you must find, or you will be doomed to struggle forever."

this has certainly been true for me - at some point I realized I could function even on very small amounts of sleep for long periods, even though I didn't enjoy it. then I stopped worrying about it and everything got better. it is miserable, however! 

I didn't get any help with sleeping from the bath salts but only tried it once; it did make my skin soft. I'd try it again.

the book I mentioned a couple posts up is very much worth reading. one of the most important things I learned from it is to stop focusing on how many hours of sleep I am getting. you can't help but keep track but you need to know 2 hours of deep sleep is better than many more of light sleep. it's quality, not quantity. 

and also that you OFTEN think you aren't getting any sleep, but you really are. once you know that it helps to relax. 

Edited by JackieDecides

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Great piece by Kelly Brogan on insomnia in withdrawal.

https://kellybroganmd.com/psychiatric-medication-taper-and-insomnia/

Not a coincidence that I’m posting this at 3:20 my time. 

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A member recently posted that they were counting backwards from 1,000 to help them get to sleep.  I don't worry about saying the full number (nine hundred and ninety-nine) I just shorten it (nine, nine, nine, nine) and visualise the number.

I decided to google about counting backwards for sleep and found this:  when-counting-sheep-doesnt-work-try-this-word-game-to-fall-asleep

"When you are lying awake, unable to fall asleep, traditional advice says to count sheep. But if you find yourself still sleepless after counting livestock, try this sleep trick backed by cognitive science on how to purposefully scramble your thoughts until you can fall asleep.

Canadian cognitive scientist Luc Beaudoin calls his solution “cognitive shuffling,” or serial diverse imagining. It’s a technique where you play a word game to shuffle your thoughts into random images and words to encourage your brain to fall asleep."

Basically it is thinking of a word, eg bird, and picturing it 🐦then going on to the next word.  The suggestion is to start with a word and think of things that start with the first letter of the word.  Once you run out of things you move on to the next letter and think of as many things as you can starting with that letter, etc.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

6 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Canadian cognitive scientist Luc Beaudoin calls his solution “cognitive shuffling,” or serial diverse imagining. It’s a technique where you play a word game to shuffle your thoughts into random images and words to encourage your brain to fall asleep."

I'm going to try this, thanks for posting it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 6/12/2012 at 11:37 AM, Altostrata said:

Soft meditation music on a continuous loop without a narrator may be more to your liking.

If you startle when trying to sleep or wake up often with a start, you might want to sooth your hypervigilance with soft music, such as a continuous loop of trance music or meditation music, while you're sleeping.

The jerks are a paradoxical effect -- your nervous system is afraid you're going into a coma. But if it can hear the music, it's distracted and keeps calm.

Plus, if you wake up, you can follow the music rather than worrying about waking. This is a form of meditation that might relax you enough to send you back to sleep.

After a while, your nervous system may stop being hypervigilant and you'll be able to sleep without music. Or you may find you like it!

I have found soft piano with ocean sounds to be of great help. The ocean sounds take me to a peaceful and safe time and place in my life and I associate the sounds with the peace and safety of that time and then the worry thoughts are left and replaced by drowsiness and the good feeling of sleep coming. A lullaby perhaps, if you will. I guess what has been stated above. It's what works for me. And I guess yeah, brain says it's okay to let go and go back to sleep. 

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• Administrator
On 2/1/2019 at 6:19 AM, lobster said:

Good morning everyone.  I've been having a rough time of it lately.  I had been doing decent for over a year and a half . December 1st I started taking 43 mg of cbd oil daily as I thought it might help with a few things . I also started having a few Beer's again once in a while, as I didn't think it would be an issue as I had been off my lexapro for 26 months.  Not alot and not all the time,  I did notice my anxiety creeping up , I always have it to a degree.  I kept having histimine issues and on Jan 4th I cut my cbd dosage in half from 43mg , my histimine seemed to get better, but my anxiety got worse and my sleep started getting erratic.  I didn't realize cbd oil affected how long my cholesterol and blood pressure medication stayed in my system,  so essentially it made those dosages more potent.  The blood pressure med is for anxiety issues and it is also high , so kind of two fold.  Now my sleep is messed up again , I'm having jerks and shaking when starting to fall asleep and terrible anxiety to , no sleep last night because of it . I also see that cbd oil causes some of the same affects as SSRI on seratonin receptors causing deregulation.  I'm wondering if this is caused by that or something else . It doesn't seem like it would still be WD from lexapro, I've been off of it for 28 months.  It seems I always get my self into these situations.  Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated 🙂 I've also had other stressors, but have handle those ok, maybe a combination of things ?

On 2/3/2019 at 1:41 PM, Altostrata said:

Hi, lobster.

Sorry to hear you're still having these problems. What do you mean by histamine issues? What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day, what dosages?

You might have gotten a bit of withdrawal from reducing the CBD oil or, as you noted, it may have interacted with your other drugs. Your nervous system is still hypersensitive.

For your hypervigilance, can you play soft music, such as a continuous loop of trance music or meditation music, while you're sleeping?

The jerks are a paradoxical effect -- your nervous system is afraid you're going into a coma. But if it can hear the music, it's distracted and keeps calm.

After a while, your nervous system may stop being hypervigilant and you'll be able to sleep without music. Or you may find you (and your wife) like it!

On 2/4/2019 at 1:13 PM, lobster said:

Thanks Alto , I cut it in half this morning.  I tried the soft music last night, and started to drift off ,but jumped ,so I turned it off and went back to sleep. I'm not sure if I can catch on to it or not lol. 

On 2/4/2019 at 5:07 PM, Altostrata said:

Let's see if morning statin helps.

I'd keep going with the soft music. Maybe even softer. If you jump, drift off again.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:29 AM, lobster said:

Thanks Alto , I'll give the music another go 🙂 hopefully switching the time of my statin around helps and dropping the cbd oil dosage will help . I'm still having some issues getting to sleep right now and anxiety over it , but the twitching and shaking when trying to get to sleep are getting better again . I didn't have any last night . Maybe when I settle down some the music wont bother and I'll get used to it to. I think my anxiety peaked the other day and is coming down some.  I've had this happen several times over the years , but it's hard to go a couple years ,then be hit like this again . I get comfortable over time and do things, like have a few drinks, not realizing my nervous system is still not stable. I keep throwing it over a cliff it seems lol, but if I am comfortable enough to try and be my old self some, perhaps I am healing.  Thanks again Alto for all your help, I really appreciate it  🙂

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I've always found following soft music with my mind to be a very calming form of meditation. The music should be very, very soft, only to the point that you can hear it and follow it.

(Note to self: Do this more often.)

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Continuous loop is best. A lot of meditation music just goes on and on.

12 hours ago, lobster said:

Good morning Alto , I'm assuming when you mean soft music, your not talking about 80s soft rock lol. I found something called ,Weightless", Marconi Union ,on You Tube, it was 10 hours . I put that on and accidentally fell asleep for half an hour before bed time , then had it playing for the rest of the night . I woke up a couple times in the night , but went back to sleep.  I didn't have any issues at all , I do get the feeling I was aware, that it was playing while I was sleeping , if that makes sense at all . I had no sleep jerks , or any thing last night of any kind . As of right now , I've switched my statin to morning , cut the CBD oil down from 43mg to about 10mg , I'll give it a little while at this dosage , then stop it all together. Now I have music playing at night . The only medication I'm on that precedes my antidepressant use is the zocore statin , I've been on that many years. From my research,  if a person is going to have troubles with one ,it's this one . My head is always foggy,  and I do have memory issues to a degree and have for many years , my head never cleares out . I'm not sure if there is any connection, but it might not be helping.  I was told along time ago , that any thing that crosses the blood brain barrier,  could be harming my nervous system,  I'm not sure on that . Thank for your help Alto 🙂

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Very happy this worked!

Yes, your nervous system needs to hear the music for reassurance. The music keeps it a little bit awake, preventing you from sliding into the deepest sleep, but it will get used to your sleeping and over time, allow you to sleep more deeply. Eventually, it won't need the music to be reassured you're still alive, it will reset to a less sensitive level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Karma said:

Regarding inability to sleep. I experienced two years of excessive stress and inability to get a good nights sleep. Going to bed at the same time every night, doing a deep relaxation meditation prior to sleep, making my room as dark as possible, keeping my room cool and most importantly  not panicking when I woke up early allowed me to return to a normal sleep. When I wake early I tell myself, “I am safe, I am secure, I am OK.” I repeat that calmly over and over until I relax myself back to sleep, sometimes off and on or until time to rise.

Insomnia is probably one of the worst symptoms of this whole process.  The body requires sleep and certain processes of the body only happen during certain stages of sleep.  It is a necessity and so very difficult during withdrawl.  Sleep aids and melatonin just increase my agitation and there is no hope for me to sleep.  The one method I have found that works everytime if only to put me out for an hour (better than nothing) is listening to sleep hypnosis tracks.  My personal favorite is Michael Sealey.  He has a huge selection on youtube.  His voice is at a perfect mhz for my ears.  Couple that with deep belly breathing in your favorite sleeping position and it is the perfect recipe for some sort of sleep.  I hope this recommendation helps someone else.  It has been a lifesaver for me.

2002-2008 On and off Effexor XR 75mg 

2010 Effexor XR 75mg Trazadone 150mg

2012 Abilify 5mg and Buspar added increased Effexor XR 150mg quick taper after 6 months due to pregnancy.

2014 Reinstate Effexor XR 75mg increase to 150mg, 150mg Trazadone, Buspar, Abilify 5mg. Quick taper after about 1 year from Effexor, Abilify, and Buspar.

2018 Trazadone taper over 1 month

2018 Attempted Effexor reinstatement due to digestive distress 37.5 mg.  Failed 2xs after 4 days.  Gastro preacribed Elavil 2 weeks later.  Failed after 2 days.  3 days later full withdrawl.

I will check out Michael Sealey, thanks for the suggestion. I have a bunch of hypnosis CDs and my favorite is Goodbye Worries by Roberta Shapiro, that one often helps me to sleep. she has another one specifically for sleep which doesn't work as well as the worries one does for me. 

anyway, it's worth checking out different people IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

5 tips for falling asleep quicker according to a sleep expert (professor of neuroscience and psychology at the University of California Berkeley)

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I have realized that for me because of my hypersensitiv nervous system, and forced to be bed ridden because of it that I would be able to average 10 - 12 a night! It felt amazing it so much easier to handle withdrawal when you're sleeping, but unfortunately I didn't want to stay in bed all day and got up to walk and distract myself because of bad neuro emotions, and when I went to bed that night i barely slept and woke up like 4 times sleeping about 6.5 or 7 hours at best !

My hypersensitivity is very bad I cannot walk or exercise at all! It got bad after several failed reinstatements, basically before that I didn't experience sensitive nerves, only when I would exercise hard, now even walking in the house flare them up!, so be careful with your reinstatement, and listen to your body.

I had also found that magnesium keeps me awake, dehydrated me and worsen my sleep so I got read of it, I only take omega 3 and practicing the omega diet, but from my experience my only option to sleep well is to stay in bed all day long which is crazy by itself, but I can afford to myslef as I'm living with my parents,  that's the only way I got to sleep well, also I realized that the intense social anxiet were having and ALL withdrawal symptoms greatly diminish when you're sleeping well, you may well be quite healed but do not know it yet because youre sleep deprived!!!

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

CIPRALEX 10MG(M) TAB (Escitalopram): 29/01/2014-08/05/2016
VIEPAX 37.5MG TAB (Venlafaxine): 08/05/2016-26/06/2016
PRIZMA TAB (Fluoxetine Hydrochloride): 26/06/2016-18/08/2016
ELATROL 25MG TAB (Amitriptyline Hydrochloride): 18/08/2016-05/01/2017
WELLBUTRIN XR 150MG (M) TAB (Bupropion-Wellbutrin): 05/01/2017-16/01/2017
WELLBUTRIN XR 300MG (M) TAB (Bupropion-Wellbutrin): 16/01/2017-05/2018
SERTRALINE TEVA 50MG TAB (Sertraline): 29/05/2017-
SERENADA 50 MG TAB (Sertraline): 03/07/2017-16/07/2018
ARIPLY 5MG<><>(28) TAB (Aripiprazole): 17/06/2018-24/06/2018
BRINTELLIX (M) 10MG TAB 28 (Vortioxetine): 24/06/2018-16/07/2018
CLONEX 0.5 MG TAB (Clonazepam): 29/05/2017-16/07/2018 when needed not constant

May 2018 cold turkey: SERENADA 50 MG TAB, WELLBUTRIN XR 300MG TAB, SERTRALINE TEVA 100 MG TAB. June 2018 - partial reinstatement: ARIPLY 5 MG TAB, BRINTELLIX 10 MG TAB, SERENADA 50 MG TAB. July 16 2018 - cold turkey again. October 4 2018 - reinstatement: SERTRALINE TEVA ~ 0-25 MG TAB Overall: 29/01/14 - 16/07/18 + 27 days >>>> 4 years, 6 months, 1 week, 6 days, 8 hours, 40 minutes. 

I did another experiment last night and it worked, 

Because of my extreme body sensitivity (nerves super sensitive), my body is like a very gentle guitar, if I play the strings ( doing physical stuff like even getting out of bed), the strings vibrates very much, and they'll keep vibrating until the body is steady, like lying in bed, after that the body settles and the nerves will become relaxed and allow me to sleep.

If I dont listen to my body right now a specially when I'm in a wave like that and push it too hard physically( even exiting the bed and walking in the house) I will pay for it with no sleep...

And it will take me a few days in bed to get to that continues ~12 - 10 hrs a night.

May 2018 cold turkey: SERENADA 50 MG TAB, WELLBUTRIN XR 300MG TAB, SERTRALINE TEVA 100 MG TAB. June 2018 - partial reinstatement: ARIPLY 5 MG TAB, BRINTELLIX 10 MG TAB, SERENADA 50 MG TAB. July 16 2018 - cold turkey again. October 4 2018 - reinstatement: SERTRALINE TEVA ~ 0-25 MG TAB Overall: 29/01/14 - 16/07/18 + 27 days >>>> 4 years, 6 months, 1 week, 6 days, 8 hours, 40 minutes. 

It's not even exercise, even the bare minimum of physical wreaks havoc on me

On 3/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, Asi1309 said:

about 6.5 or 7 hours at best !

I would give about anything for this amount of sleep😱😂 

Rachel - 1998-2012 Prozac 20mg

2012-2014 Prozac 40mg

Sept 17 Remeron 15mg, March ‘18 7.5mg

Jan 31 - Feb 13 1/4 - 1mg Ativan

Jan 31 - feb 5 - 2mg Prozac, 4mg feb 7

feb 10 - 10mg rem, Feb 27 - 7.5mg rem

Feb 27 - March 6th - 5mg Baclofen 

March 12th - Keppra 250mg

March 24 - 30mg phenobarbital 

• 1 month later...

Don't know where to post this but I really need help. My med history is horribly long with so many meds and cold turkeys.  I am hoping someone with a similar experience can provide any help.  I have been suffering again with insomnia with no end.  

I was well for a year free of withdrawal symptoms. I had a few stressors last year that caused anxiety/depression and may have retriggered withdrawal symptoms - severe insomnia, anhedonia, dp/dr, no emotions, blank mind, head burning/pressure.  

I started going 2 nights with zero sleep then crashing on 3rd.  This was going on since January or February.  This became too much 3 wks ago and I probably messed myself up even more.  Took Remeron for a wk. 7.5mg first night and it helped. Next 3 nights zero sleep. Up to 15mg worked first night and zero next 3.  So I stopped.  

I cannot fall alseep at all. I have gone 5 nights staight now.  Desperate.  How can I survive this?  Feel like I will break. 

2006-15 Effexor on and off mostly on. Also tried drugs that didn't work; notriptyline, Celexa, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Abilify, Pristiq, Cymbalta. Weaned off Effexor for last time quickly (2015) - horrible depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Remeron (2016) helped wd symptoms. 
2017 - tapered off Rem over a few mths. Horrible wd symptoms with insomnia. Reinstating Remeron fail. For wd insomnia tried: Trazodone, Elavil, Gabapentin, Seroquel, Doxepin, Valium. Failed. 2mg Ativan at bed intermittent use 4mth.
CT Ativan - off all meds June '17.  Recovered by Oct '17 - well for a yr.
Oct '18-now. Major stresses, drank alcohol. In hell -insomnia, dp/dr, head pressure, anhedonia, no emotions, blank mind.
May/June '19 - 16 doses Rem CT, 10 doses 2mg Ativan. CT

Recovered Oct 2020-June 2022 - fully functional, working.  Only left with head pressure.

Major stresses - mainly financial, living space, relationship - severe insomnia, severe anxiety, depression, dp/dr, emotional numbness, blank mind

Sept 2022 - for sleep - took 8 doses of 15mg Remeron, 3 doses of 7.5mg, 3 doses of 3.75mg, 3 doses of 1.875mg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, RichT said:

I have found wax earplugs to be helpful - I don’t know it that’s what you tried, but I found they didn’t irritate me. They don’t actually go in the ear but over the outside. They have helped me get some rest in noisy places.

(I have no affiliation with the following)

https://www.earplugstore.com/moldable-wax-ear-plugs.html

https://www.earjobs.com.au/collections/wax-ear-plugs?

And DIY:

lAnyone dealing with paradoxal fear of sleep/ibsomnia? I almost completely lost my ability to sleep. I dont want return to drugs after i almost beaten withdrawal but mentally failed.

2017 - july 2018 - phenazepam 1mg  when needed (kindling)

aug 2018 - phenazepam 1mg , escitalopram 5mg daily. 

september 2018 - CT from benzo and escitalopram, olanazapine 5mg for 3 days with no effect. Reinstated benzo 1mg , felt better and CT after few days.

october 2018 - mirtazapine (remeron)30mg

november 2018 - mirtazapine stopped working for sleep, Mirtazapine CT, then reinstated and  CT (two weeks) Reinstated benzo and CT after week

december 2018 -  seroquel 25 then 50mg, fluvoxamine several days (blurred vision), clomiprine 1 pill (seizure), amitriptyline 25 or  75 several days.

january- 2019 - seroquel 50mg started building tolerance , so took 75-100 sometimes, depakote  300mg  then 600, then 750 mg, started building tolerance too.

february 2019 - CT seroquel, CT depakote.

Feb- March 2019 - Almost no sleep for few weeks.  Took doxylamine several times.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy