☼ Seer: Lexapro CT - currently in windows/waves of withdrawal

Seer

Hello everyone!

I haven't been here in a while but thought I'd share an update:

22 Months off:

From 18 months until about a week ago I was symptom free (about 4 months). This is undeniable evidence that we all heal, as there was long periods of time I completely forgot about withdrawal. This included a clear mind, high energy and deep restful sleep.

Last week I started getting familiar symptoms (dizziness, dp/dr, fatigue, etc.), and can unfortunately say I am in another wave. I understand this will pass, as it has every time before.

I have a question for the community:

• Is it normal to experience completely new symptoms this far out? New symptoms:
    • Thumb twitching
    • Hand/wrist pain
    • Finger joint pain/stiffness

I am convinced these are wd symptoms since they appeared along with my usual symptoms.

I will most likely see a doctor since it's been so long without symptoms, but any replies would be appreciated :) 

Cheers,

- Seer

Started Lexapro on 10/20/2020 at 10mg.

CT quit Lexapro on 3/04/2021.

Acute withdrawal hit almost immediately. Windows/wave pattern ever since.

Quick update on the above:

All symptoms have passed. This too has passed. 

Cheers,

- Seer

• 1 month later...

2 years off:

A few days ago I celebrated my two year anniversary from lexapro cold turkey. Looking back on it, I almost can’t remember the dark, torturous, unending suffering of the early WD days. It all seems so foreign, yet it was very real, and as we all know it was necessary. 

How am I doing now? I’m back to working full time, working out 5-6 days a week, sleep has improved by 100%, I eat whatever I want without worrying about a reaction, i no longer have constant debilitating symptoms. I will still have a bad day here any there, but this is usually from pushing too hard.

Remember, the pain/suffering may last for a minute, an hour, day, week, months, or even a year. BUT it will eventually subside, and something else will take its place.

Every. Single. Time. It will pass. 

I’ll be back at some point in the near future to write a success story.

I wish everyone great health, and I send support/encouragement to anyone still in the storm. 

- Seer

brilliant! Congratulations :) thanks for all your updates, really helpful. 

Sept 2021 - CT sertraline 25mg. told it was a 'placebo dose', knew nothing about the dangers or mechanism of these drugs

Nov 2021 - Jan 2022 - failed reinstatement attempt which exacerbated symptoms as it gave me severe serotonin syndrome, unrecognised by doctors who told me to double my dose (!!!!). this was a very awful period, was still trying to work and go to uni, eventually had to quit everything & move back in with family. horrific 'altered reality' symptoms of dissociation, hallucinations, insomnia, chemical dread, racing heart, agitation, nausea, burning & more 

Jan 14th 2022 - 0mg SSRI

Currently, 2023: in recovery from drug-induced neurological dysfunction/PAWS. only meds- 10mg amitriptyline at night.

• Mentor

@Seer what a wonderful and encouraging report!!!  Thank you for sharing!!!!   Yes your success story is near!!

1. .025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 by weight of pill  every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, AM and Pm  doses.  Reinstated  9-22-16. Began Buspar taper 1-29-23, .001 mg by weight of pills.  N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  1-2023 Labs okay but not where I feel best. 60 mg. daily now but adding 15 mg. more  twice weekly for a few months then check.  Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I unfortunately have been swept back into a wave. This one has symptoms that I had previously thought were behind me, and is fairly intense (most intense since 12-18mo).

Has anyone else experienced long periods of windows, only to be hit by an intense wave months later? I am currently 26 months off. 

I appreciate any comments/input

- Seer

Hi Seer,

Im at 4.5 years and just gone into a bad wave after months and months of feeling really good. I wasn’t recovered as still didn’t feel quite right all the time but was living a full life and no problems with functioning at all.

It’s quite disheartening to fall back and have to remember how you coped.

Im guessing as we have already got plenty of recovery behind us the gap between them keeps extending until no more.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

@Tom37

Thank you for stopping by. Wow… I can’t imagine how you’re feeling with a setback at 4.5 years. When you say you were living a full life, was your life limited by WD in any way? 

What is your mindset now in this recent wave? I’m 50% down the road you are and I’m struggling to cope with the fact I can still be disabled by this. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Seer, how are you doing? Hoping you are out of the wave? 

Clonazepam 0.5 mg (30 tablets, maximum twice a week)

Temazepam 10mg ( 40 to 45 tablets , upto 30 mg at once , sometimes together with Mirtazapine) 
2022 Mirtazapine 15mg for 2 weeks and stopped CT

Started Amitriptyline 20mg for 3 weeks and stopped CT

Again,Mirtazapine again 7.5mg for 3 weeks and stopped again CT.

7th Jan 2023 - last dose of 7.5mg Mirtazapine.

Currently on supplements:

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

@Purae 

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by. I am happy to say the wave did end, lasted about 10 days.

Today I feel fantastic.

Cheers!

- Seer

@Seer Do you still have sleep issues while you were on wave? I have having lingering sleep issues since I stopped , specifically, waking up abruptly at 4:00 am everyday and can’t fall asleep after. 
Have you ever had early awakening problem during your withdrawal? 

Temazepam 10mg ( 40 to 45 tablets , upto 30 mg at once , sometimes together with Mirtazapine) 

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

@Purae

I had such bad insomnia early on that I honestly thought I was going to die (this was amplified by w/d fear). I would wake up at 1, 2, 3, 4 am and not be able to go back to sleep.

I can happily say I sleep great now, even in the last wave.

I hope you find relief soon.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I hope sleep will get better for me too.

I wish you well going forward. 

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

@Purae

Many, many others including myself have been where you are. Your sleep will improve, like it has for all of us.

I wish you healthy days ahead.

- Seer

@Seer It means a lot to me.

Thank you 🙏

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

• 4 months later...

32 months off:

Hello friends,

I wanted to stop by and give an update on how things are going. 

Feelings of health, strength, vitality, calm and confidence have returned. I rarely think about withdrawal anymore, and when I do it is short lived. The experience is almost foreign as my healthy brain/body cannot recognize those dark, torturous days.

If you had told me a year ago I would one day feel like this, I wouldn’t have believed it. But the success stories are true, our bodies heal and we eventually return to normal (or even better than that). Trust in the innate healing power of our bodies.

To everyone still in the storm, remember that THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

There are no sunrises without sunsets.

There are no roses without rain.

Cheers,

- Seer

• Moderator Emeritus

Great news Seer.

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Please see this topic:  How to write your success story

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

So glad to hear. I’m so happy for you. I love coming to your post as you have / had a lot of the same symptoms as me. Keep healing & keep us updated :) 

how did you deal with the ocd/intrusive looping thoughts ? Did they just melt away over time 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, Seer said:

It's very hard for me to believe this is still WD almost 9 months out, but I've ruled out everything else. This too shall pass....

- Seer

Hi Seer, I’m 9 Months off Effexor and am dealing with almost the exact same timeline you have. You are absolutely right…. This too shall pass 💜

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023

• 1 month later...

Hi Seer, I have been following your thread lately and noticed that you had many muscle symptoms. 

I’m so pleased for you that you are healing beautifully.

I have muscle tightness and spasms on my torso and back but they cycle round.

Did you have those as well?

Peace and healing vibes

Giuly88

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Hi @Giuly88,

I had all kinds of muscle related symptoms, tightness and spasms included. These are both common wd symptoms and will pass with time.

You are healing my friend!

- Seer

6 minutes ago, Seer said:

Hi @Giuly88,

I had all kinds of muscle related symptoms, tightness and spasms included. These are both common wd symptoms and will pass with time.

You are healing my friend!

- Seer

Thank you Seer for replying to me. I’m so hopeless at the moment. I could not believe what was happening to me at the beginning of this year snot knowing about withdrawal and tapering. 

Congratulations for your healing, you have gone through so much pain looking at the list of symptoms that you have kindly compiled.

This list has given me and I’m sure others hope and validation.

I’m very grateful for this ❤️.

I wish you happiness and further healing.

Giuly88

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

@Giuly88,

I remember feeling exactly the same way. The reality of the situation sinking in is almost enough to break you, but it doesn’t. There is a strength within all of us that we are not aware is there until we need it. 

I could not imagine a reality where I was fully healed, even better than I was before I started the drugs. But here I am, and here you will be as well one day. One step at a time.

- Seer

Thank you Seer 😊

Hi Seer, may I ask you one more question please? 

Did you experience any muscle pulling, twisting and jerks at all at any point?

Thank you 🙏 💕 

Hey @Giuly88

im not @Seer but I saw your question — I have experienced those symptoms at times and had them improve.

Zoloft 50 mg since 2019.   
2024. January. 33.75 February. 33.75 March 32.5 April 30.0

2023. January 33.75 mg  February 32.5 mg March 30.0 mg April 27.5 mg June 50 mg August 40 mg September-December 37.5 mg December 33.75 mg 

2022. January 50mg February 45 mg March 40.5 April-November 37.5  December 33.75 mg

Prior to discontinuation:  20 years of a variety of antidepressants & anti-anxiety meds from months to  years at a time (fluoxetine, nefazodone, venlafaxine, clonazepam, hydroxyzine).  I was unknowingly experiencing discontinuation and was frequently diagnosed with anxiety/exacerbations of previous illness as opposed to discontinuation. 

Supplements: Fish oil, Vitamin D3, magnesium,  B complex, l-theanine

1 hour ago, CeruleanSea said:

Hey @Giuly88

im not @Seer but I saw your question — I have experienced those symptoms at times and had them improve.

Thank you CeruleanSea for chiming in 😊. Please to see these inhumane symptoms do go with time. It is impossible to even describe them sometimes 🤦🏽‍♀️. Like a tearing, ripping sensation.

I can see you are tapering Zoloft, another SSRI.

Healing and peace to you and to a symptom free life to all of us 💕.

Giuly88

20 hours ago, Giuly88 said:

Hi Seer, may I ask you one more question please? 

Did you experience any muscle pulling, twisting and jerks at all at any point?

Thank you 🙏 💕 

@Giuly88

I did experience all of those muscle symptoms. Guess what controls our muscle contractions…. Our nervous system!! So all things muscle are on the table.

Good news is, as always, these symptoms pass and you return to full health.

- Seer

1 hour ago, Seer said:

@Giuly88

I did experience all of those muscle symptoms. Guess what controls our muscle contractions…. Our nervous system!! So all things muscle are on the table.

Good news is, as always, these symptoms pass and you return to full health.

- Seer

Thank you Seer. I’m really scared about this particular symptom that I have on my torso, back and ribs. It feels like my muscles are being torn apart. It happens more often when I’m sat still, when I read or when I stand still. 

The jerks too occur mainly when I’m sat on the settee. 

I am very pleased this particular symptom went away for you, it is such an uncomfortable symptom that makes me cry and I often feel suicidal about it.

Thank you so much from my heart for replying to me and give me hope.

If it weren’t for these muscle symptoms I would now be back in the classroom teaching.

💕

• 3 months later...

36.5 months off:

I have fallen back into a wave recently, after many months of feeling great. The symptoms started with heart palps/dizziness and have moved to intrusive thoughts/energy surges/dpdr.

What can we do in these waves of healing? Continue to cope and let time pass. I truly believe this means more healing is happening.

I’ll be back after this wave passes.

- Seer