Emma86: Trying to heal after heavy withdrawal Lorazepam

Emma86

Hi I thought I would update my progress. So I am currently as of 6th March on : 

From 400 mg quetiapine I am now on 2mg ! ( Focusing on this one at the moment )

From 30 mg Mirtazipine I am on 25mg ( Holding )

From 0.5 Ativan I am on 0.125mg ( Holding )

All tapered on by one. 

The Mirtazipine taper was attempted after I paused a while from the quetiapine taper, at that point I was at a much higher dose of the quetiapine. I found the Mirtazipine really hard to move, even changing the pill from a 30 mg pill to taking 2 15 pills caused me to loose my sleep almost immediately. It seems a very delicate pill for me and very connected to my sleep. 

As I have tapered the quetiapine my sleep has not been affected and has stayed the same, maybe at times waking earlier. But not drastic. 

I take the quetiapine and mirtazipine together at night and the Ativan I dose mid morning and mid evening this has been working well for a while. As in no obvious negative affects when I take any of the drugs.

As I taper the quetiapine I do experience jolting and anxiety surges, slight body contorting movements as I fall asleep. But this comes in waves and then goes completely, and is triggered by the tapering. 

As I find myself at 2mg of Quetiapine I find myself thinking back to the Mirtazpine and how it is soo connected to my sleep. How will I be once off the quetiapine. And how will it be tapering the mirtazipine..? 

It felt impossible to taper it before whilst on the higher dose of quetiapine, hence why I left it at 25mg. Sleep was lost almost immediately each time I tapered, it would resolve only after holding and I had the quetiapine as a back stop. 

I read through the tapering multiple medications section, and I can see how using an antiscychotic ( I can't spell that word ever ) can help if the antidepressant causes sleeplessness... and for me the mirtazipine really does!

Obviously the want is to get off the quetiapine due to its vast variety of side effects, movement disorders being one of them.. 

It is a juggling act, I also thought once off the quetiapine and then leaving good time.. maybe the mirtazipine could be easier to taper without causing this immediate insomnia. 

It is a worrying thought, to be left on the 25mg without a sleep aid though.. 

Is it wise to take my history of sleep issues with the mirtazipine into account and hold this small  dose of quetiapine. To which could be having no affect on sleep right now, or maybe it could, and attempt to try and lower the mirtazipine. 

These are just thoughts. As I have been gearing up to be off the quetiapine and that was my plan to just get off it. I guess as the time is drawing closer you start to wonder more about how one can help the other.. only natural I guess. As I of course want to be medication free. 

Sharing this as perhaps this will help others, also to connect with anyone else in the same boat, with similar medications and incase anyone can share perspectives on these decisions. 

Thank you in advance for any help.

Much love

Emma

- Nov 2020 –  Feb 2021 Lorazepam (1mg) for tinnitus. 

-(1,5- 2mg) till April (2021), tapered off for 1 week, reinstated in May 1mg - 2mg got worse

- Switched Ativan to diazepam 10mg 5 weeks from 10mg -3,5mg got worse

- March 2021 6 weeks Lexapro 15mg, quit (tapered of in 3weeks) took for anxiety made me a vegetable, better once off.

May Hospital - quetiapine once at 50mg, then olanzepine, hypotension I stopped everything. Severe symptoms, not sleeping.

- 2021 - 2mg ativan given twice in hospital drug induced Psychosis - July 2021 hospital  risperidone 2mg-6mg in 1 week  +30mg Mirtazipine total 2 weeks - I stopped for 1 week ( thought I was being poisoned ) had window of 10 days slowly some normality,  started at 3mg Risp for 10days + 15mg Mirtazipine because I worried for withdrawal, but too late was hit with intense withdrawal, uncontrollable symptoms 

- Sept 3 hospital  – Oct 13th -quetiapine within 1 week 50mg-400mg + 30 mg mirtazapine 

- 6 weeks in hospital  - Home -  300 mg for 4 weeks

- Reinstated 24th Nov 2021 - 0.5 Ativan - stabilised - 1st Dec went to 150mg quetia - 24thDec went to 100mg - Went to 31st Dec 112.5. 30th Jan 2022 100mg holding. Dropped -22nd March 2022 Mirt 26mg - 9th May, Mirt 25mg.  Hold Mirt and Quetia. Tapered Ativan from 0.5 - 0.125mg May 2022 - March 2023. 11th April 2023 started again with Quetiapine. 

December 30th 2023 - Quetia 8mg  - Ativan 0.125mg - Mirtazipine 25mg 

I take Quetiapine and Mirtazipine at night before bed 22/23pm, I take Ativan in the morning 11am and mid eve 8/9pm splitting the dose  

Current doses as of March 6th 2024 - Quetia 2mg - Mint 25mg - Ativan 0.125mg