alberto: Tapering off Pristiq and Withdrawal Symptoms

alberto

My name is Alberto, Canadian, on Pristiq for around 4 years now. I was on 150mg and decided to stop it cold turkey.

Pristiq's withdrawal symptoms ( cannot be called a syndrome yet) are a pain in the neck. Today, as it is my 1st day with 0mg Pristiq after having weaned its use from 150mg to 100mg to 50mg and now to 0mgnin a matter of days I vomited once, feel dizzy all the time, zaps in the brains sometimes, insomnia, feel very emotive ( wanting to cry for any silly reason), depression-ish ( I was taking Pristiq for anxiety so depression is not hitting hard).

I am scared and lonely.

Again, quitting meds like this is a very bumpy road for one to drive on so I strongly do NOT recommend ANYONE to do the same.

Any comments? Advice? Testimonies? Scolding ( lol)? All of them will be much appreciated.

Feel lonely and alone and afraid of any further symptoms that may burst out. If I feel anything really scary I will [sadly] return to pristiq.

Alberto

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

2018–2019 Pristiq50mg     (MD prescription)
2020-2021- Pristiq 100mg (MD prescription)
2021/ March- Pristiq 150m (MD prescription)
2021/November/ 01- reduced to 100mg (at my own risk)
2021/November/04- reduced t0 50mg   (at my own risk) withdrawals symptoms resume
2021/November/06- reduced to 0 mg     
(at my own risk) withdrawals symptoms get worse

2021/November/08-  begin treatment with Psilocybin microdosing. MD monitoring

2021/November/12 -  Psilocybin microdosing wiped out all Pristiq withdrawal symptoms. Feeling much better and calm.  MD monitoring

2021/November/17- Psilocybin microdose: 0.2g every 3 days. Depression: No/ Anxiety.No  / Pristiq withdrawal symptoms NoneMD monitoring

2021/ December/25 - Off Psilocybin. Off Pristiq. 30th day taking NOTHING(0mg)  Depression: No/ Anxiety.No  / Pristiq withdrawal symptoms None. MD still monitoring ( and very surprised)

UPDATE:  2022/February/10: Off Pristiq. No other antidepressant either. After 3 months of having nothing I had a 2-gram mushroom of Albino A+, a very strong strain. I felt very good, a feeling of joy and peace. I have had no depression and little anxiety. It is amazing what Psilocybin ( mushrooms) did to my body. No depression. Very little anxiety even after 3 months of having had nothing.

UPDATE: MARCH/2022: Feeling lousy without taking any meds at all including psilocybin . My MD told me to return to Pristiq.

• ChessieCat changed the title to alberto: Tapering off Pristiq and Withdrawal Symptons
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello alberto and welcome to SA,

I am just about to finish my taper off Pristiq, so it is possible to do it.

If it has only been one day since you went to 0mg and your previous dose was 50mg, please take 50mg.

I will provide more information in the next post.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

We need to know the dates for when you made the reductions.  The easiest way to do this is to create your drug signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I am assuming that you went straight from 150mg to 100mg and then from 100mg to 50mg due to the tablet doses available.

Q:  What symptoms did you experience going from 150mg to 100mg?

Q:  What symptoms did you experience going from 100mg to 50mg?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

I have to log off for now because we have a bad thunderstorm.

I'll get back as soon as I can.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm back.  It wasn't as bad as expected, but still better to get off the computer.  I don't want to fry it.

Thank you for creating your drug signature.  You have reduced to much too quickly.  I am not criticising this, just explaining what is happening to you.  I didn't know any better when I reduced from 100mg Pristiq to 50mg.  Like you, I was very lucky to find SA when I did.

I can see in your drug signature that you are starting alternative therapy.  If this involves a supplement please reconsider this.  The only known way to counteract withdrawal symptoms is to updose, if not off the drug or reinstate if off the drug.  Also note that it is recommended to only make one change at a time.  If you take a supplement and also reintroduce the Pristiq you will not know what is causing what if issues arise/remain.  And it things improve, again you will not know what has caused that to happen.

Okay, what you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from going off Pristiq too quickly.  When we take a psychiatric drug the brain adapts to getting the drug and when it is taken away too quickly we can experience withdrawal symptoms.

This is what happened to me:  Two weeks after I reduced my 100mg Pristiq to 50mg I was not able to type.  I had been getting extremely brain fog up until then.  It took all my concentration to walk.  SA suggested increasing my dose, which I did and about 4 HOURS later I was able to type again.  Being a professional typist I had a benchmark and new it was the drug. 

I held on that dose for two months and made a 10% reduction and got very bad pain in my ears so I updose by a small amount and again after only a few hours the pain went.

This is a good example of what can happen and how it can be counteracted.  Please note that it is not a good idea to yo-yo your doses.  It is better to go nice and steadily.

SA's recommended taper protocol is to reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

Please see this topic.  Post #1 has some information, but there is information spread throughout the topic.  I have tried to post in that topic about what I found with regards to getting the dose I needed.

Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Please update your drug signature whenever you make a change.

I am assuming that you will start taking 50mg Pristiq again (and no supplement).  Please keep notes for yourself about what symptoms improve/worsen.  It would be a good idea to hold on 50mg for at least 3 months if not longer.

If you find after one week that you are still experiencing withdrawal symptoms please let us know and we can discuss increasing the dose.  But please do NOT return to 100mg.

Please let us know what you decide and let us know how you are doing.

This is your Introduction topic.  Each member has only one.  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat your story.

There are many existing topics on SA where members discuss their symptoms (these are general topics; please remember to post in your Introduction topic as explained above, staff regularly check the Introductions forum but because the site is very busy with a lot of members, they may not see posts made elsewhere).  You can try using the site search function.  Or you can use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org  to the search term.

• ChessieCat changed the title to alberto: Tapering off Pristiq and Withdrawal Symptoms
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've moved you new topic to a different are of the site.  You can find it here:

i-need-friends

I suggest that you check out the existing topics in that forum:

relationships-and-social-life

Second day off Pristiq altogether.

I feel crappy. Very dizzy, mood swings, feeling like crying for any reason at all, and I suspect I may even be experiencing some depersonalization? 

The sensation I have is as though I had a ballon on my head and that nothing makes much sense. In other words, I feel as though people are far away and I am detached from myself.

Does that make sense?

Probably not.

2021/November/04- reduced t0 50mg   (at my own risk) withdrawals symptoms resume

2021/November/12 -  Psilocybin microdosing wiped out all Pristiq withdrawal symptoms. Feeling much better and calm.  MD monitoring

2021/November/17- Psilocybin microdose: 0.2g every 3 days. Depression: No/ Anxiety.No  / Pristiq withdrawal symptoms NoneMD monitoring

2021/ December/25 - Off Psilocybin. Off Pristiq. 30th day taking NOTHING(0mg)  Depression: No/ Anxiety.No  / Pristiq withdrawal symptoms None. MD still monitoring ( and very surprised)

UPDATE:  2022/February/10: Off Pristiq. No other antidepressant either. After 3 months of having nothing I had a 2-gram mushroom of Albino A+, a very strong strain. I felt very good, a feeling of joy and peace. I have had no depression and little anxiety. It is amazing what Psilocybin ( mushrooms) did to my body. No depression. Very little anxiety even after 3 months of having had nothing.

UPDATE: MARCH/2022: Feeling lousy without taking any meds at all including psilocybin . My MD told me to return to Pristiq.

• Moderator Emeritus

All I can say is please take a 50mg tablet of Pristiq.  I've been there, I know. 

Did you read the beginning of my Intro topic?

chessiecat-so-im-not-the-only-one-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

This is NOT about how strong you are as a person, it is to do with the fact that your brain has adapted to getting the drug and now you have ripped it away.  You have a physiological dependency (not physical) on Pristiq.  That is what causes the withdrawal symptoms.

SA was started 10 years ago.  If we knew of anything that you could take or do other than take the drug that your brain has come to rely on, we would be shouting it from the roof tops, and there would be no need for sites like this one.

I remembered when I went to bed that I had not given you the link to the reinstatement topic see Post #1:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

Also see the following:

what-is-withdrawal-syndrome

39 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

All I can say is please take a 50mg tablet of Pristiq.  I've been there, I know. 

Did you read the beginning of my Intro topic?

chessiecat-so-im-not-the-only-one-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

This is NOT about how strong you are as a person, it is to do with the fact that your brain has adapted to getting the drug and now you have ripped it away.  You have a physiological dependency (not physical) on Pristiq.  That is what causes the withdrawal symptoms.

SA was started 10 years ago.  If we knew of anything that you could take or do other than take the drug that your brain has come to rely on, we would be shouting it from the roof tops, and there would be no need for sites like this one.

I remembered when I went to bed that I had not given you the link to the reinstatement topic see Post #1:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

Also see the following:

what-is-withdrawal-syndrome

Your post proved again to be very helpful as usual.

I stopped Pristiq cold turkey since I wanted to take [ not disclosed].  The last time I had it ( it was my first)  was still on Pristiq and I had no effects of XXXX at all... it was as though I had taken a placebo. But this decision has not been a good one. Is it Worth all this withdrawal nightmare for the sake of a good trip of something that is supposed to help with my anxiety?

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, alberto said:

Is it Worth all this withdrawal nightmare for the sake of a good trip of something that is supposed to help with my anxiety?

SA provides the relevant information about prescription psychiatric drugs.  It is up to members to do their own research about anything they consider taking so that they can make an informed decision.  I have already stated what I think is the best thing to do. 

Only you can decide whether to take the "alternative treatment".  And only you can decide whether to reinstate the Pristiq.

The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil .

SA also recommends only making one change at a time and only trying a small amount to start to see how it affects you.  See:

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

From Post #1 of the reinstatement topic:

On 10/9/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:

According to what medicine knows about psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. All the papers about withdrawal symptoms allude to how symptoms usually resolve after reinstatement. This is considered a hallmark of withdrawal syndrome.

• Administrator

Hello, @alberto It appears you've gone off Pristiq too fast and gotten withdrawal symptoms. In what way may we help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

this is true. the first three days were Hell.

after that, on the 4th day w/out any meds, I took XXXX under JHs' research umbrella in a controlled environment with volunteers previously diagnosed w/ anxiety and/or depression.

update: feeling n withdrawal at all, not anxious or depressed. I am feeling really well and calmer than usual.

other than this, it's too early to say anything else.

Edited by alberto
privacy

On 11/8/2021 at 12:16 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, @alberto It appears you've gone off Pristiq too fast and gotten withdrawal symptoms. In what way may we help you?

So far I am feeling well: Microdosing treatment with shrooms ( microdose= no 'Psychedelic trip', since dosages are very low and also not my purpose).

Hope this works.

Moved from:  how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

I talked to my doc st8 fwd that I had stooped Pristiq cold turkey and I was feeling crappy.

She told me to resume taking 50mg of Pristiq again ASAP.

I did not and began to replace it with a natural Med, (a plant) instead.

So far, feeling good but it any withdrawal symptoms I will contact my dc again and follow her guidance.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link before merging with intro

Moved from:  how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

Excellent topic!

Although I contribute to the topic, I always refrain from disclosing any drug name that has not been prescript by my MD.

The reason is that I don't want to influence anyone with their course of action. I simply want to share how my experience is and how it works for me only. Because something that may work like a charm for me may turn out to be a bad move for others and vice-versa.

In my case now, the Med that I use to replace Pristiq is still in a grey area in Canada but has been OK'ed by my MD, so I am legally entitled to use it.

OnE can purchase it widely by mail and buy it openly but then again, way too personal to disclose.

In the US, the same goes for you if you live in it. DC, Oakland, Detroit and the state of Oregon.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link before merging with intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the 2 posts you made in the "How to Talk to Your Doctor About Withdrawal" because they were not relevant to that topic.

From Pristiq 150mg to 0mg to Psilosybin

DISCLAIMER:

THIS IS AN ACCOUNT OF A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE  AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS ADVICE OR GUIDANCE OF ANY KIND.

This is a narrative I would never imagine to write and this is a good thing.

I was on Pristiq 150mg/ daily for, at least, 2 years, a dosage that had begun at 25mg but the pressure during my Ph.D. program and the communication - or lack thereof- with my supervisor that seemed to go sour by the hour made my MD bring my dosage up "only temporary while you get ready for your defence" ( sic). Problem is, that my MD's 'temp' became perm.

Although my anxiety got better, I still suffered from insomnia, so  I decided to try weed and felt significant improvement in my sleeping patterns while on the Indica cannabis oil, prescribed by my MD ( weed is legal in my country). Meanwhile, I heard about trial treatments with Psilocybin at Johns Hopkins University among other institutions. Since I had never tried any of those grey area drugs to treat my anxiety, I asked my MD if it would be a good idea to microdose ( nothing for recreational/ trippin' purposes) since many research results seemed to be promising and it is not known to cause addiction

Long story short, I switched Pristiq for Mushrooms ( Psilocybin) because in my mind a natural product coming straight from earth would be far better than chemicals.

I cut my Pristiq dosage from 150 to 100 to 50 to zero in a week's time which is very similar to doing it cold turkey ( under my MD's strong desageeremrnt).

During the first days ( a week maybe)with no Pristiq, I went to hell and back.

Dizziness, mood swings, irritability, insomnia, nausea etc. you name it but I didn't give up since I had to taper off Pristiq before having any dose of Psilocybin.

I had to detox.

After four terrible days of detoxing,  I began microdosing on Psilocybin. This means taking enough mushrooms to treat my anxiety but not enough to make me tune in and drop out. No trips. No hallucinations. Not my goal.

After 2 weeks of micro-dosing every three days (as in day ONE: yes/ day TWO: no/ day THREE: no / day FOUR: yes) following Dr. Jean Fadiman MD's guidance.

Now, I am feeling very well. I know it is still too early to say psilocybin's worked for me but for the first time in years I feel no mood swings, anxiety is under control and I can sit back and read a book for more than half an hour without random thoughts running at the back of my mind. for that alone, I am very thankful.

A very interesting effect: I have had tinnitus for years now and since I quit Pristiq and began microdosing Psilocybin tinnitus is gone! No more zzzz's and silence is back!

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS THE ACCOUNT OF A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE  AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS ADVICE OR GUIDANCE OF ANY KIND.

Edited by ChessieCat
added success story topic title before merging with Intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for including the disclaimers in the above post.

I have moved your new topic from the Success Story forum and merged it with your Introduction topic.

Please see the criteria for an  SA Success Story.

From Post #1 of this topic how-to-write-your-success-story

On 11/17/2012 at 3:24 AM, Altostrata said:

This forum is for success stories about recovery from withdrawal syndrome.

If your withdrawal syndrome is completely resolved -- you've been off ALL drugs for a year -- please open a topic for yourself here.

• Administrator

I certainly hope this experiment works for you, @alberto 

You've been off Pristiq 13 days. Please let us know how you're doing as time goes on.

PS The tinnitus was an adverse effect of Pristiq all those years.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:46 PM, alberto said:

A very interesting effect: I have had tinnitus for years now and since I quit Pristiq and began microdosing Psilocybin tinnitus is gone! No more zzzz's and silence is back!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I certainly hope this experiment works for you, @alberto 

You've been off Pristiq 13 days. Please let us know how you're doing as time goes on.

PS The tinnitus was an adverse effect of Pristiq all those years.

( pls read the disclaimer following this post)

thank you for following up, @Altostrata :)

It has been all good so far. Surprisingly no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. Also, haven't been anxious or depressed. Is this the Psilocybin working? Too early to say. But it may be the case because when I stopped Pristiq before I have always had important withdrawal symptoms, something not present now.

I continue having Psilocybin microdoses ( 0.05 grams) every 72 hours. 

Microdosing means that I do not aim for any hallucinogenic effects or anything of this kind. I take it simply to replace chemical garbage for 100% natural Med ( the shrooms). I microdose grinding the mushroom itself in a Coffee grinder and used a scale to measure up the micro dosages.

PS: A new feeling has emerged these days: I feel very calm and I have a clear image in my mind that whatever comes my way I will manage to work it out and if I don't, the outcome will not be catastrophic ( something g that I had as a certainty). I have never felt that way while on Pristiq.

DISCLAIMER: I use psilocybin microdosing, i.e., very low doses that do not allow any hallucinogenic effects to kick in.  I take Psilocybin microdoses following Dr. Fadiman's microdosing instructions.  Here are some guidelines for micro-dosing for reading purposes only.

NEVER EVER use any medication without proper professional surveillance/guidance. 

That would be a very bad move.

Follow your country/state/region/city laws, just like I do.

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded most of disclaimer and changed some text to lower case

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/18/2021 at 9:46 AM, alberto said:

Update on alberto's tinnitus which alberto has posted in another member's topic:

32 minutes ago, alberto said:

hey @Jayy

I also have tinnitus and it's still here. IK you will get better. man.

love!

Albert 

Irritability and lack of Motivation

I was on Pristiq ( 150mg) and stopped it around [almost] a month ago. Although I do not feel depressed or super anxious I feel very irritated ( not angry), have to cope with insomnia and I feel a lack of motivation about almost everything, doing things mechanically.

Does anyone feel this way?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

• 4 weeks later...

Off Pristiq altogether. Feeling good.

I was on Pristiq for quite a long time (refer to my signature) until I found out about Psilocybin ( shrooms). I decided to give it a try. At  first my body unresponsive to them due to the Pristiq acting in my organism. Therefore, I decided to slowly-ish taper off Pristiq.

And that was when the magic began ( a work game, got it? lol): I started taking shroom micro-doses every 3 days and after 2 months I stopped them, too. No dose at all for me anymore. 

Fast forward to today, December 25th 2021 ( hey, merry Xmas!):  it has been almost a month that I take NOTHING.

Not Pristiq, no shrooms, nothing. 

When I first stopped the micro-doses I admit I was scared. In fact, I was waiting for my anxiety symptoms to rebound at any moment at full force. I waited, waited....Nothing.  I kept observing my organism, ready to call my MD right then and there if need be.

Still nothing! I was still navigating on calm, blue, warm waters.

So, this is my experience and today I am off everything. And I feel great.

Did the shrooms save me from years of Pristiq? Was this just a random thing? I dunno and I will probaly never know. 

But long story short, I suspect that the shrooms did play a role in this liberation process and for that, I praise and thank Johns Hopkins for what they did for me and for the precious research on Psychedelics they conduct despite the huge prejudice from both (some) MDs and (some) patients.

Thank you also for many other universities and institutes in the US and Canada that believe in such Psychddelic turn in the 21st century.

I hope 2022 will be the first of many years ahead free of any of these meds.

Happy 2022 and keep shining! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added success story topic title before merging with Intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I have moved the new topic which you created in the Success stories forum and merged it with your Introduction topic.

From the "How to write your success story instructions:"

On 11/17/2012 at 3:24 AM, Altostrata said:

If your withdrawal syndrome is completely resolved -- you've been off ALL drugs for a year -- please open a topic for yourself here.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just wondering how you are?

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Just wondering how you are?

Hi!!

Thank you so much for touching base! This meant a lot to me!!

I am doing fine. Still off Pristiq and with no other antidepressant, I am still using magic mushrooms but with very moderately. Last night I had a 2gram-tea of Albino A+ (a very strong strain) after a month having had nothing. It felt great, I was relaxed, with a feeling of joy and calm.

I hope you are doing great!!

• Administrator

Please do continue to let us know how you're doing, @alberto

• 2 weeks later...

My MD wants me back to Pristiq

I went to my MD for the first time since 2019 when I moved back to Canada.

Now I am in Brazil and although there are Shrooms microdosage treatment here ( legal!) my MD wants me back to Pristiq because she believes it is ‘safer’ since I will have to spend sometime away from Rio, Brazil ( where I am now)  to conduct my fieldwork ( starting in early March) for my PhD.

I feel well, I have been off medications altogether since last year but I don’t know if I should follow her advice and be back to the meds 😕 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do not create a new topic to update your information.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  This is the best place to ask questions, journal your progress and keep your history in one place.

3 hours ago, alberto said:

I feel well, I have been off medications altogether since last year but I don’t know if I should follow her advice and be back to the meds

You say you feel well.  Your medical professional believes Pristiq is safer? 

Two weeks after reducing my dose of Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg I was not able to type.  Leading up to this I was experiencing very bad brain fog; even walking took my full concentration.  Being a professional typist for many decades when I wasn't able to type I knew that something was very wrong.  After I took more Pristiq, only 4 HOURS later I was able to type again and the brain fog lifted.  There was no way that this was placebo.  I had a benchmark so I knew for certain that it was because of the drug.

Only you can make the decision about what you do / take.  Do your own research so that you can make an informed decision.

• Administrator

If you show no signs of needing further antidepressant treatment, why does your doctor think take a psychiatric drug every day is safer?

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If you show no signs of needing further antidepressant treatment, why does your doctor think take a psychiatric drug every day is safer?

Because I am going through a personal challenging period and I will travel to a city where I know no one for my fieldwork and stay a few months there.

On 2/25/2022 at 7:16 PM, ChessieCat said:

Please do not create a new topic to update your information.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  This is the best place to ask questions, journal your progress and keep your history in one place.

You say you feel well.  Your medical professional believes Pristiq is safer? 

Two weeks after reducing my dose of Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg I was not able to type.  Leading up to this I was experiencing very bad brain fog; even walking took my full concentration.  Being a professional typist for many decades when I wasn't able to type I knew that something was very wrong.  After I took more Pristiq, only 4 HOURS later I was able to type again and the brain fog lifted.  There was no way that this was placebo.  I had a benchmark so I knew for certain that it was because of the drug.

Only you can make the decision about what you do / take.  Do your own research so that you can make an informed decision.

I hear you. Pristiq is a good medication. The thing is that I went off Pristiq and began taking mushrooms ( psilocybin) and the results were amazing, much better than any chemistry could do.

• Moderator Emeritus

Because I am going through a personal challenging period and I will travel to a city where I know no one for my fieldwork and stay a few months there.

It is better to learn and use non drug coping techniques, including learning general life skills, than to rely on drugs.

Pristiq is a good medication.

You might think that Pristiq is a good medication.  I do not think that Pristiq or any other psychiatric drug is a good medication.  They are prescribed too easily and too often and people are very often told that they need to be on them for life because they have a chemical imbalance, which is a theory that was proven false several decades ago.  I think that many people who end up on a psychiatric when they are experiencing external stressors (ie stressful life events which are "normal") should receive counselling and be taught non drug skills to cope with these.

began taking mushrooms ( psilocybin) and the results were amazing, much better than any chemistry could do.

You are still taking a "chemical" which affects the brain.  It is just a natural form. 

Another example is St John's Wort which is a natural substance but is just a milder form of the man made Prozac.

• 2 weeks later...

Returning to Pristiq? What should I do?

I stopped taking Pristiq last year and replaced it for shroom micro-doses.

However, I have been off them for a few months now and my MD has advised me to return to Pristiq, initially taking 50g/day.

I was feeling awesome with the shrooms but now without them ( or taking very sporadically) and with crazy pressure from my PhD supervisor ( I am the 3rd year and will begin my fieldwork, go through ethics board and defense of my project. a lot!) I have been feeling really lousy and crappy. I have lack of energy for anything and I Also, I feel a lack of motivation for my phd.

Should I return to Pristiq? I bought them as my MD prescribed but have not began to take them.

What do you think? Please help... ( I know I should follow my Doctor’s guidance and that whatever I read read here is not a medical doctor prescription, don’t worry! But this forum helps me a lot).

thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic/spacing

• Moderator Emeritus

I was feeling awesome with the shrooms but now without them ( or taking very sporadically)

When taking a psychoactive drug, whether prescription or supplement, it is best to take the same dose at about the same time EVERY DAY.

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

I have been feeling really lousy and crappy.

This sounds like withdrawal symptoms, which I think would be from stopping the Pristiq too quickly.  I have already told you in this post what happened to me when I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and what happened when I increased the dose.  The "shrooms" might have helped to cover/reduce some of the withdrawal symptoms, but now you are not taking the shrooms consistently.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Should I return to Pristiq?

You are the only one to make the decision about whether you start taking Pristiq again.  Please do not ask this question again.

If you decide that you are going to reinstate Pristiq I suggest that you carefully read Post #1 of this topic so that you understand SA's suggestion (and the reason) about reinstating a small dose:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

• Administrator
On 3/9/2022 at 11:05 AM, alberto said:

However, I have been off them for a few months now and my MD has advised me to return to Pristiq, initially taking 50g/day.

@alberto, it's your life. You decide whether to let your doctor tell you what to do. If you think you need Pristiq or other psychiatric drugs to get through life, please discuss this with a doctor, not to us.

It seems to me you're well shut of the Pristiq, which can be difficult to go off, and you've been lucky in finding 'shrooms assist with this. If you want to go back on Pristiq or other psychiatric drug, it's your decision, but don't come back here and ask us to help you go off. Talk to your doctor -- he or she gets paid for this, we don't, and as volunteers, we don't want to be exploited as unpaid backup to your doctor.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear.