OptimisticRP: hello - my story help me

OptimisticRP

• Administrator

I haven't heard of any problems with it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Update I’ve been feeling better and then me and my Gf broke up. We were having issues the last few months anyways so I kinda of saw it coming it still hurts though as I am heartbroken. 

The SIBO test came back positive and when I asked the doctor which one he said he didn’t know and he thinks hydrogen 🤦🏻‍♂️ And then prescribed me xifaxin which I’m nervous to take. Since I developed the histamine intolerance a few months ago - I feel as if my healing haas slowed down or I’m just getting waves more frequently. Is that possible? I also deal with a lot graudating school getting a full time job - how I feel emotionally numb or actually happy / normal anxiety - and then the anxiety triggered by the food intolerances and withdrawal and worrying about making PSSD worse or better on and off I try to just relax and remind myself it will heal in time but it just sucks. 

my next question would be, should I treat the SIBO with herbs or the xifaxin I’ve seen both good and bad reports on both in people dealing with issues from SSRI - or would you guys advise me to seek another test a more in-depth test because my doctor was very vague. Please let me know I think my gut is causing the brunt of my symptoms to be honest - I’m just terrified of getting worse it’ll be a year since on November 12th - and I’ve healed so much and have been able to do so many things at times I get flare ups and feel back at month 3 but it’s not persistent. So I’m just nervous any good advice and ideas would be great thank you all! ❤️🤙🏼 

@Altostrata

@brassmonkey

@Kiasofia

@ChessieCat

supplements taken on and off

consistently: magnesium glycinate 

vitamin C and DAO enzyme - whey protein powder - chamomile tea 

not consistent: MCT OIL - fish oil - peppermint oil or tea - ginger -

things I took before histamine intolerance as needed with no issues

-propanol

-Valium

those were as needed - helped a lot - but can’t take them cause of suspected histamine issue. 

histamine issue started in JULY 3 months ago and 8 months into this withdrawal. Or ADVERSE reaction. 

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

• Moderator Emeritus

gastrointestinal-issues-small-intestinal-overgrowth-syndromes-sibo-sifo

If you do decide to take the xifaxin you might be able to start by taking small dose to see how you react.  If you did get a bad reaction to the small amount then it possibly would not take as long to recover from as it would if you had taken a larger dose.

Just something to think about.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

gastrointestinal-issues-small-intestinal-overgrowth-syndromes-sibo-sifo

If you do decide to take the xifaxin you might be able to start by taking small dose to see how you react.  If you did get a bad reaction to the small amount then it possibly would not take as long to recover from as it would if you had taken a larger dose.

Just something to think about.

Okay and then if I feel okay with half - I can try the whole pill maybe ? 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Optimistic -- I'm sorry to hear about your recent relationship troubles and GI issues. 

Following my acute withdrawal from Zyprexa, I developed SIBO due to intractable constipation. When I visited a gastroenterologist in August, they placed me on a two-week Xifaxan (rifaximin) course, three times per day. Before treatment, I was experiencing intense brain fog and fatigue, along with a host of other withdrawal-related symptoms. Fortunately, by the end of the two-week course, many of my symptoms had improved.

The advantage of this particular medication is that it is minimally absorbed, acting only in the lumen of your gastrointestinal tract. With that being said, I did experience a brief worsening in brain fog and fatigue about two or three days into treatment. This can be attributed to the bacterial overgrowth in your small intestine "dying off" and releasing a bolus of inflammatory agents. Whether you choose to continue your course of antibiotics or opt for an herbal substitute, this may be unavoidable. In my opinion, it should not deter you from treatment.

Forgive me for prying, but did your physician offer any ideas as to why you developed SIBO? 

The only reason I ask is that if the underlying cause is not resolved, you may have another episode in the future. Since mine was attributed to constipation, I was given a prescription laxative (linaclotide) to take as needed until my body got back on a regular schedule. 

I hope this helps and everything goes well!

[active] Zyprexa: May 14, 2022 [5 mg PRN] --> CT June 6 --> Reinstated June 18, 2022 [1.25 mg] (success) --> March 1, 2023 [0.625 mg QPM] 

[inactive] Seroquel ER: March 2021 [300 mg] --> CT January 2022 --> Reinstated February --> CT April 25, 2022 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:01 AM, concerned said:

Hello Optimistic -- I'm sorry to hear about your recent relationship troubles and GI issues. 

Following my acute withdrawal from Zyprexa, I developed SIBO due to intractable constipation. When I visited a gastroenterologist in August, they placed me on a two-week Xifaxan (rifaximin) course, three times per day. Before treatment, I was experiencing intense brain fog and fatigue, along with a host of other withdrawal-related symptoms. Fortunately, by the end of the two-week course, many of my symptoms had improved.

The advantage of this particular medication is that it is minimally absorbed, acting only in the lumen of your gastrointestinal tract. With that being said, I did experience a brief worsening in brain fog and fatigue about two or three days into treatment. This can be attributed to the bacterial overgrowth in your small intestine "dying off" and releasing a bolus of inflammatory agents. Whether you choose to continue your course of antibiotics or opt for an herbal substitute, this may be unavoidable. In my opinion, it should not deter you from treatment.

Forgive me for prying, but did your physician offer any ideas as to why you developed SIBO? 

The only reason I ask is that if the underlying cause is not resolved, you may have another episode in the future. Since mine was attributed to constipation, I was given a prescription laxative (linaclotide) to take as needed until my body got back on a regular schedule. 

I hope this helps and everything goes well!

Thank you for your response, my brain fog is fine and my symptoms come and go that’s why I get nervous. But I developed a histamine intolerance which could be caused from the Sibo  and they said it could’ve been caused from slowed motility - so I could take ginger and or  they said leaky gut. But I think I’m gonna get a second opinion. thank you for your kind response it means the world to me. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/1/2022 at 11:37 PM, OptimisticRP said:

Thank you for your response, my brain fog is fine and my symptoms come and go that’s why I get nervous. But I developed a histamine intolerance which could be caused from the Sibo  and they said it could’ve been caused from slowed motility - so I could take ginger and or  they said leaky gut. But I think I’m gonna get a second opinion. thank you for your kind response it means the world to me. 

I'm glad my response helped some. The gastroenterologist I saw suggested that SIBO is determined clinically, based primarily on the signs and symptoms a patient is having. The breath tests clinicians use to diagnose SIBO are imperfect and should only complement what can be found from a thorough health history and physical exam. Having a second opinion will surely help!

[active] Zyprexa: May 14, 2022 [5 mg PRN] --> CT June 6 --> Reinstated June 18, 2022 [1.25 mg] (success) --> March 1, 2023 [0.625 mg QPM] 

[inactive] Seroquel ER: March 2021 [300 mg] --> CT January 2022 --> Reinstated February --> CT April 25, 2022 

Okay, so I used to have a really thick head of hair and I did even through withdrawal. As I’m still in it, since developing the stomach issues in July of this year 2022 - I’ve noticed now about 2 months since then - that my hair is thinning pretty noticeably and Maybe I just didn’t  notice it. But it went from really thick wavy hair to thin wavy hair. Could it be from the stomach issues or vitamin/mineral absorption   issues or you think the stress of withdrawal and other life circumstances?  No one in my family  has a history of thinning or balding this young only like 35 and up and I’m 22.

@ChessieCat

@Altostrata

• Administrator

Sorry, we cannot advise you about your hair thinning, your nutritional status, or any general health issues..

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Hello, update I was doing well. Probably felt 50-80% healed. In all aspects 

PSSD

Dysautonmia 

stomach/histamine intolerance was the only thing that hindered me it seemed or over exercising but I was able to go out do things and of course my breakup really hit me hard and I spent much time crying and upset. But overall I was making slow and steady progress and started adding in exercises again slowly - cause of last time too much too fast messed me up a bit. 

However, on December 11th I got Covid from my job (Target! Missed my college graduation because it 🙃) and it hit me hard I had fever and was really sick for a good 10 days and it’s slowly gotten better, it’s 24 days in now and I feel like I have similar dystautomia symptoms again and brain fog but a different type of brain fog from withdrawal brain fog. Could it be that Covid just shook up my nervous system ? Is that normal in withdrawal and has Covid caused many  major setbacks in people? This is the worst I’ve felt since August. If you have any insight let me know! I feel so strange. 

Happy new year to you all though! I hope you’re all well and I’m sending love and appreciation! 

@Altostrata

@ChessieCat

@Kiasofia

@brassmonkey

• Administrator

I am sorry you got covid. The symptoms you describe are associated with covid infection. We don't know anything about treating covid.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I am sorry you got covid. The symptoms you describe are associated with covid infection. We don't know anything about treating covid.

Gotcha! From your experience does it affect withdrawal recovery ? Or flare up any of those associated things? I know people have definitely had withdrawal and Covid I’m wondering in your experience if you seen a common trend and if it’s good or bad or I should expect something. 

Yeah that’s  what I’m worried about having to worry about both of them combining and my body being reset back to day 1 with my nervous system. Also the “long Covid” is scary. Similar to our withdrawal in someways too. So that would really upset and frustrate me.

Please lmk! And thanks for the quick response alto you’re the best!

• Administrator

We can't tell what effect covid has on withdrawal syndrome, the symptoms are the same.

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

We can't tell what effect covid has on withdrawal syndrome, the symptoms are the same.

Okay thank you! I hope I’ll be okay 

• Administrator

I hope so, too. Please rest up and recover.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone I write this as a message to future people who join this website and are looking for answers and feel lost. I also write this as an update. First things first I am incredibly grateful for Alto and the whole surviving antidepressants crew. Life savers truly. They saved my life in a dark time. As far as symptoms go they have seen it all and please listen to them, just wait it out and take there suggestions I recovered to 80% in 8 months of listening to them. Other problems have come up since then but that’s how life goes. My update  today is that I have long Covid. I am unsure if it’s a mixture of withdrawal syndrome and long Covid but more symptoms align with Long Covid. That being said, it is kicking my ass I have fatigue and PEM and brain fog. I also just got my first full time job out of college and I don’t know how I’ll be able to do it. This is where I’m asking for advice I am the LOWEST I have ever been, as I’ve talked to all the forums and Facebook groups. A lot of times it’s negative people and frustrated people who feel ill which I understand. I am considering trying psyliocben(however it’s spelt) or LDN - to help with my really frustrating symptoms. As well as looking into the hormonal side of things. It’s been a long journey and I overcame SSRI withdrawal and got back to normal life besides exercise and then got Covid. 

I CAN NOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH, listen to alto and them. My PSSD was improved, everything they said would happen happened. In the end you’ll be okay. As long as you have breath in your lungs. Just really try not to get Covid and lower stress. 

Thank you for reading my long message and with your knowledge on all things not just withdrawal syndrome, in general do you think trying LDN, microdose mushrooms could be beneficial or detrimental? Thanks and appreciate all you do. 

@Altostrata

@JanCarol

@ChessieCat

• Administrator

Thanks, @OptimisticRP

I wish we knew more about long covid. From what I hear, recovery is also very slow and frustrating, with a lot of symptoms that might be dysautonomic, like withdrawal syndrome.

For withdrawal, many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

With your history with psychiatric drugs, I'd be cautious about throwing more psychotropics into your body. 

Please let us know how you're doing.