Thewayshegoes: Difficulty tapering Effexor. Trying to stay positive.

Thewayshegoes

Greetings, 

My drug history on my profile doesn't list past meds I've taken. I was for some reason thinking it just meant current meds. I've been on a TON of different antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzos, and ADHD meds starting with childhood. I fast tapered Effexor in 2015 with disasterous results. I ended up checking myself into a psych hospital and was misdiagnosed as "manic." (I don't accept that diagnosis). Then came the cascade of antipsychotics and anticonvulsants. Seroquel, Latuda, Abilify, Trileptal, Depakote). I switched from one to another due to adverse effects. I reinstated Effexor long term and was convinced that's just "how I was" and feared life without it. Any time I describe withdrawal symptoms to doctors, I get the "well withdrawal is mild and lasts 1-2 weeks, so the symptoms you're experiencing are your illness."

I would include drugs I've been on in my signature, but there is just too many.

I FINALLY did what the medical community failed to do and recognized my difficulties in coming off Effexor were withdrawal. I am so upset and angry that modern medicine has failed me. Nobody caught this when they should have. I'm just done with the side effects of antidepressants. 

I've been able to get off most meds (it was hell coming off seroquel, let me tell you). I've had a hard time with antidepressants in particular. And it seems many of the diagnosis they made have been false. But Effexor has been awful. The lower doses were brutal. I struggled hard to get to 20mg and I just can't go anymore. About 4 months ago I failed to bridge to Prozac. My doc put me on 5mg Prozac in addition to my 20mg Effexor to let it "ramp up." He did not reduce the Effexor while doing this (I've been on Prozac before and found it activating). I began feeling very unwell; agitated, anxious. I felt over activated. Like I was on overload. I was even running a fever which went away after I stopped the Prozac. Doc said I was probably "catching a bug." He wouldn't acknowledge that hey, maybe that combo was a little toxic. Can such a reaction even happen at such low doses? I dont even know.

Eh, anyway, that's my story. Doing my best not to feel hopeless. I hope I havent permanently messed myself up with all these med trials. I get especially anxious when people talk about sensitization and kindling, because if it's happened to anyone, it's me. That prospect makes me feel hopeless. I hope I can get off these drugs eventually. I dont want to be a lifer. I want my life back.

My therapist suggested a medical detox going cold turkey. I'm like, idk anyone who will do a 6 month detox, Cheryl. And there aren't enough benzodiazepines in the world to control my withdrawal panic attacks.

I've visited this site before. I'll have to try to condense my drug history as much as possible for my signature. 

2014 Effexor reduction 150mg to 75mg. No symptoms.

2015 Effexor fast taper 75mg to 0 over 6 weeks. Excruciating withdrawal. Reinstated after 6 weeks. Symptoms abated.

2019 Seroquel taper. Successful, but very difficult.

2020-2021 tapered Effexor 75mg to 20mg. Taper very difficult at roughly 30mg. Last taper approx 21.5mg to 20mg

2021 Two failed tapers from 20mg to 19mg (August), then 20mg to 19.5mg (November)

10/2021 failed cross taper to prozac. Possible toxicity.
Occasional (once every 3 months average) emergency Ativan usage. Prescribed on and off for maybe a decade. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Thewayshegoes: Difficulty tapering Effexor. Trying to stay positive.

Welcome @Thewayshegoes

I'm sorry you have been through so much. Once a person has started or stopped a psychiatric drug it is in my opinion not possible to diagnose the person. Drugs are at play. So I would not accept the diagnosis either. Is Effexor the only drug you have been taking since 2020? Or you quit some of the others since then? The introduction of Prozac was probably too much for your sensitized brain to handle and caused your symptoms. How long have you been taking Effexor 20mg? You may have to consider doing a long hold at this dose and wait until your brain is less sensitive before starting a very slow taper or possibly a bridge.

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

The Prozac switch or "bridging" with fluoxetine

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

A medical detox is terrible advice, but I'm not surprised a doctor would suggest this.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

As there are common misconceptions about how these drugs work I found this post helpful to understand what is going on:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain 

I recommend reading  Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (interview) as well as A straight talking introduction to psychiatric drugs by Joanna Moncrieff to better understand these drugs and their effects. The Council for Evidence based Psychiatry also has a lot of good information.

About withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

51 minutes ago, Kiasofia said:

Welcome @Thewayshegoes

I'm sorry you have been through so much. Once a person has started or stopped a psychiatric drug it is in my opinion not possible to diagnose the person. Drugs are at play. So I would not accept the diagnosis either. Is Effexor the only drug you have been taking since 2020? Or you quit some of the others since then? The introduction of Prozac was probably too much for your sensitized brain to handle and caused your symptoms. How long have you been taking Effexor 20mg? You may have to consider doing a long hold at this dose and wait until your brain is less sensitive before starting a very slow taper or possibly a bridge.

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

A medical detox is terrible advice, but I'm not surprised a doctor would suggest this.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

As there are common misconceptions about how these drugs work I found this post helpful to understand what is going on:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain 

I recommend reading  Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (interview) as well as A straight talking introduction to psychiatric drugs by Joanna Moncrieff to better understand these drugs and their effects. The Council for Evidence based Psychiatry also has a lot of good information.

About withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I've been stuck at 20mg for probably 6 or 7 months. I try to reduce and it's just too much.

I think bridging may be my best option, eventually. Prozac or Celexa are what i have my eye on. I know no SSRI is "easy" to taper off of. 

At this point i have no idea who or what information i should trust. Everything is conflicting and often runs contrary to what i've experienced. 

The other med i take now, occasionally, is Ativan, on an as needed basis. I save it for absolute emergencies (and air travel). The last thing i need is a benzo addiction, so i'm very careful. By "occasionally" i mean i'll drop 1-2mg a couple times every 3-4 months. I slowly but surely tapered other meds over the years.

2015 Effexor fast taper 75mg to 0 over 6 weeks. Excruciating withdrawal. Reinstated after 6 weeks. Symptoms abated.

2020-2021 tapered Effexor 75mg to 20mg. Taper very difficult at roughly 30mg. Last taper approx 21.5mg to 20mg

2021 Two failed tapers from 20mg to 19mg (August), then 20mg to 19.5mg (November)

Occasional (once every 3 months average) emergency Ativan usage. Prescribed on and off for maybe a decade. 

On 1/22/2022 at 2:35 AM, Thewayshegoes said:

I'm like, idk anyone who will do a 6 month detox, Cheryl. And there aren't enough benzodiazepines in the world to control my withdrawal panic attacks.

Hi @Thewayshegoes

Thank you for giving me a chuckle. We need to see the humour in all this or we’d all go as mad as the doctors think we all already are 😂

You’re in the right place here with people who have been through the same as you and know how hard it is.  The mods are full of wonderful info and help so you’re in safe hands.

The thought of me coming off my meds scared the living daylights out of me but I’m the same as you. I want my life back.

Sertraline (Lustral):  2014. Sept 50mg. Oct 100mg. Dec 150mg. 2015-2019. 150mg. 2019  Apr-May 0mg. Beg May 150mg. End May 100mg. Late June 125mg. Late Aug 100mg. 2020 Jan 75mg. April 50mg.

2022  50mg. 1Jan 45mg. 1Feb 40.5mg. Water T24Feb 39.5mg. 3Mar 38.5mg. 18Mar 38mg. 25Mar 37.5mg. 22Apr 37mg. 5May 36.5mg. 18May 36mg. 1Jun 35.3mg. 15Jun 34.5mg.  30Jun 34mg. 15Jul 33.5mg. 22Jul 33mg. 5Aug 32.5mg. 19Aug 32mg. 1Sept 31.5mg. 1Oct 31mg.  27 Oct 30.5. 16 Nov 30mg. 30 Nov 29.5mg. 14 Dec 29mg

2023. 2 Jan 28.5mg. 6 Feb 28mg. 10 Mar 27.5mg. 1 Apr 26.5mg. 1 May 26mg. 1 Jun 25.5mg. 1 Jul 25mg. 1 Aug 24.5mg. 17 Aug 24mg. 5 Sept 23.5mg. 9 Oct 23mg.

Desogestrel:  2014 -  present:  

Supplements Magnesium. 400mcg  Vitamin D. 10mcg.  Multivit/min. 1 tab. B Complex

Certirizine:   2022 May 10mg. Dec 20mg. 2023. 15mg.

Omeprazole.:  2016 20mg. 2022  20mg.  15Jan 15mg. 9Feb 10mg. 25Feb 6.5mg. 15Mar 3mg. 3Apr 1.5mg.  15Apr 0mg   2023. 20mg. 15 Sept 15mg.

15 minutes ago, Thewayshegoes said:

I know no SSRI is "easy" to taper off of.

True, but Effexor is known to be among the more difficult. Are you experiencing side effects? 6 or 7 months may seem like a long hold, but if you can hold longer I suggest you do. 

Please add to your signature:

Ativan, dose and frequency

the month in 2021 that you reduced to 20mg Effexor and what the previous dose was

How often had you been reducing and by how much? It may be that the cuts you were making were too big:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

21 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

True, but Effexor is known to be among the more difficult. Are you experiencing side effects? 6 or 7 months may seem like a long hold, but if you can hold longer I suggest you do. 

Please add to your signature:

Ativan, dose and frequency

the month in 2021 that you reduced to 20mg Effexor and what the previous dose was

How often had you been reducing and by how much? It may be that the cuts you were making were too big:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

I was on a steady 10%, or near it, until I hit 30mg. That's when I found the taper increasingly difficult. Went down to approx 5% until 20mg when after 2 failed attempts I found I couldn't go anymore. My second failed attempt to get past 20mg was less than 5% and it still threw me way off.

Then there was the prozac. Doc suggested a bridge and I readily agreed. He loaded me up on prozac without reducing Effexor in order to let it "ramp up." I got really sick. 

I've been through hell these past few months. Really trying to stay positive.

Can I ask, should I try to bridge, I read that Celexa is another "candidate." Is Celexa known to be a more manageable taper, the way Prozac is? Mind you, I KNOW i will still have withdrawals. I have no illusion about that. I just need it to be manageable. This 8 hr half life monster I'm on certainly is not. Not at this point. 

In any case I think holding for awhile is certainly wise. Just trying to plan for the future. 

Did you read this post?

Both Prozac and Celexa are candidates, but Prozac having a very long half life is known for being the "easiest" AD to taper. Celexa is known to be more manageable to taper than the notoriously difficult ones: Paxil, Effexor,Cymbalta, Pristiq, but not as "easy" as Prozac.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

Did you read this post?

Both Prozac and Celexa are candidates, but Prozac having a very long half life is known for being the "easiest" AD to taper. Celexa is known to be more manageable to taper than the notoriously difficult ones: Paxil, Effexor,Cymbalta, Pristiq, but not as "easy" as Prozac.

Thank you. Im reading the link now.

Everyone reading, please, keep in mind that when i say "easy" i mean "more manageable." I fully realize NONE of this crap is easy, be it Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac, or Celexa.

It is strange, in years passed ive been on tons of stuff. Some easy to get off of, some not. None of it as difficult as antidepressants. Like, wow. Somethin' bout serotonin.

Oh man, this doctor I started seeing was really a trip. Dismissive of my withdrawal story and my current tapering efforts. Told me something must be wrong medically because I couldn't complete a 6-8 week taper and my symptoms weren't spontaneously resolving after 1-2 weeks. He wanted to get in touch with my PCP (who has been very supportive of my efforts) in order to pour over my medical history. 

I literally walked out mid session. Nope. 

I really should show him the research that shows standard tapering guidelines are no better than abrupt discontinuation. It makes me wonder how many of his patients develop severe withdrawal, and he diagnoses as relapse and back on the med they go. 

Hi there @Thewayshegoes,

I'm currently trying to come off duloxetine, which is another SNRI like Effexor. It's been challenging for me, too. I also tried a bridge to prozac. It failed to work and I ended up stuck on duloxetine and a low dose of prozac. I'm currently tapering off the prozac and then I hope to get back to the duloxetine. 

Anyway, about you. It sounds like you've been through a very rough few years. One thing I've learned through my various tapering over the years is that even when withdrawal symptoms have subsided, you're probably not quite yet "back to normal." There's a lot of healing still going on "under the hood" below perceptible levels. 

Is the 20mg of Effexor causing side effects? I don't mean the withdrawals, I mean side effects when you're stable at 20mg. The reason I ask is because you might consider staying at that level for a year to give your brain some normalcy for a while. It seems like you've been tapering off something since 2019. If you can tolerate the 20mg, maybe consider staying there for a while. After some time passes it might be easier when you try to resume your taper. 

-Since 2017-ish I've been on Cymbalta & Mirtazapine. At max dose it was 120mg cymbalta and 45mg mirtazapine. This combo was meant to deal with a depressive episode and it worked. Over the next few years I tapered down from those high doses. I had tried to get off the cymbalta twice and had to reinstate twice. I don't remember when. Maybe 2018? 2019? 

-Since 2020 I've been stable 20mg cymbalta and 7.5mg mirtazapine (this is mainly for sleep now). I have come off of the mirtazapine before without trouble, but still take it occasionally for sleep. 

-August 2nd began taking 10mg prozac as a bridge to attempt to get off cymbalta. Took 10mg for about a week then 20mg for a few days. Stopped taking the cymbalta and was doing okay for a bit, but things didn't seem to get better and maybe have been getting worse. 

-8/25/2021 - 20mg cymbalta and struggling. Stopped the prozac. I'm struggling, but I can probably ride this out if I had to. My concern is that things will continue to get worse, as they seem to be doing. 

-8/29/2021 - things started to get worse. Probably prozac withdrawal. Reinstated 20mg prozac. 

-9/2/2021 - 20mg cymbalta, 5mg prozac, 7.5 mg mirtazapine --> 9/24/2021 - 20mg cymbalta, 5mg prozac, 3.75 mg mirtazapine --> 11/7/2021 - 20mg cymbalta, 3.75mg prozac, 3.75 mg mirtazapine --> 4/24/2022 - 20mg cymbalta, 3.75mg prozac   --> 6/5/2022 - 20mg cymbalta, 3.33mg prozac

-4/25/2024 - Finally started tapering again this year after a long break and some unrelated health matters. I'm now down to just 15mg of cymbalta/duloxetine and doing well!

2 hours ago, thenextguy said:

Hi there @Thewayshegoes,

I'm currently trying to come off duloxetine, which is another SNRI like Effexor. It's been challenging for me, too. I also tried a bridge to prozac. It failed to work and I ended up stuck on duloxetine and a low dose of prozac. I'm currently tapering off the prozac and then I hope to get back to the duloxetine. 

Anyway, about you. It sounds like you've been through a very rough few years. One thing I've learned through my various tapering over the years is that even when withdrawal symptoms have subsided, you're probably not quite yet "back to normal." There's a lot of healing still going on "under the hood" below perceptible levels. 

Is the 20mg of Effexor causing side effects? I don't mean the withdrawals, I mean side effects when you're stable at 20mg. The reason I ask is because you might consider staying at that level for a year to give your brain some normalcy for a while. It seems like you've been tapering off something since 2019. If you can tolerate the 20mg, maybe consider staying there for a while. After some time passes it might be easier when you try to resume your taper. 

I'm definitely staying put for the time being, especially given the destructive nature of my PTSD (a diagnosis I do accept). It seems like all the recent changes have caused all kinds of flare ups and life has become challenging. I've turned to mindfulness meditation with good results so far. 

The whole "stabilization of the CNS" talked about frequently on this site seems to extend to a lot of different things. Pretty much anything concerning mental health, really. 

One thing that's messing me up is the whole "sensitization and kindling" concept.

I was a victim of the prescription cascade. I've been on and off a lot of stuff over the years, and have had a few successful and unsuccessful discontinuations.

I may be sensitized. To me that means "You're screwed. Good luck"

Can anyone relate to being on a bunch of stuff, with a few withdrawals, and still successfully tapered SSRIs?

• Mentor

@Thewayshegoes  I stopping by to let you know you are in no way alone.......On all fronts......Most doctors and their lack of real knowledge about these drugs and there effect on us. What happens in withdrawal...... How many of their patients are in WD and get put back on their drug or a new one or become ploy drugged or the mental diagnosis changes to something like bi-polar........Do you think they came out with the term/mental illness bi-polar because people where going through WD and/or when they start the drug and  become manic........So they had to come up with a new diagnosis to explain why they were reacting the way they were. 

Yes I can relate to the drug roller coaster ride. I have a long history of drug trails too......  Now I am poly drugged.😥   I have a therapist and she said she is learning from me.  She agrees that the doctors hand out  the drugs to easily. She is going to watch "Medicating Normal"  She watched the trailer and is intrigued with it.  I told her that she is on the front lines with her clients and she should educate herself on the drugs.......Is your therapist open to learning more about these drugs.  adverse affect, WD.

Have her watch Medicating Normal  Have you seen it?  Here is a link  http:// www.medicatingnormal.com  

I am with you, I want off these drugs.....I have been on so long I am scared.....

The success stories tell us we can heal.........

Educate yourself  on these drugs (as much as you can soak up in your brain at this time) lol  I must say the more I learn, the more encouragement  I get to keep going........

Reach out and connect with members.  We are here to help and support each other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

3 hours ago, Greatful said:

@Thewayshegoes  I stopping by to let you know you are in no way alone.......On all fronts......Most doctors and their lack of real knowledge about these drugs and there effect on us. What happens in withdrawal...... How many of their patients are in WD and get put back on their drug or a new one or become ploy drugged or the mental diagnosis changes to something like bi-polar........Do you think they came out with the term/mental illness bi-polar because people where going through WD and/or when they start the drug and  become manic........So they had to come up with a new diagnosis to explain why they were reacting the way they were. 

Yes I can relate to the drug roller coaster ride. I have a long history of drug trails too......  Now I am poly drugged.😥   I have a therapist and she said she is learning from me.  She agrees that the doctors hand out  the drugs to easily. She is going to watch "Medicating Normal"  She watched the trailer and is intrigued with it.  I told her that she is on the front lines with her clients and she should educate herself on the drugs.......Is your therapist open to learning more about these drugs.  adverse affect, WD.

Have her watch Medicating Normal  Have you seen it?  Here is a link  http:// www.medicatingnormal.com  

I am with you, I want off these drugs.....I have been on so long I am scared.....

The success stories tell us we can heal.........

Educate yourself  on these drugs (as much as you can soak up in your brain at this time) lol  I must say the more I learn, the more encouragement  I get to keep going........

Reach out and connect with members.  We are here to help and support each other.

Thank you so much for the awesome reply! It makes me wonder what happens to the people who develop severe withdrawal under "standard guidelines." Diagnosed as relapse and back on the medication indefinitely?

1 hour ago, Thewayshegoes said:

Thank you so much for the awesome reply! It makes me wonder what happens to the people who develop severe withdrawal under "standard guidelines." Diagnosed as relapse and back on the medication indefinitely?

Sadly that happens to many people. But also for whatever reason not everyone experiences terrible withdrawals when coming off these meds. Some people manage to handle a "standard" taper. 

-Since 2017-ish I've been on Cymbalta & Mirtazapine. At max dose it was 120mg cymbalta and 45mg mirtazapine. This combo was meant to deal with a depressive episode and it worked. Over the next few years I tapered down from those high doses. I had tried to get off the cymbalta twice and had to reinstate twice. I don't remember when. Maybe 2018? 2019? 

-Since 2020 I've been stable 20mg cymbalta and 7.5mg mirtazapine (this is mainly for sleep now). I have come off of the mirtazapine before without trouble, but still take it occasionally for sleep. 

-August 2nd began taking 10mg prozac as a bridge to attempt to get off cymbalta. Took 10mg for about a week then 20mg for a few days. Stopped taking the cymbalta and was doing okay for a bit, but things didn't seem to get better and maybe have been getting worse. 

-8/25/2021 - 20mg cymbalta and struggling. Stopped the prozac. I'm struggling, but I can probably ride this out if I had to. My concern is that things will continue to get worse, as they seem to be doing. 

-8/29/2021 - things started to get worse. Probably prozac withdrawal. Reinstated 20mg prozac. 

-9/2/2021 - 20mg cymbalta, 5mg prozac, 7.5 mg mirtazapine --> 9/24/2021 - 20mg cymbalta, 5mg prozac, 3.75 mg mirtazapine --> 11/7/2021 - 20mg cymbalta, 3.75mg prozac, 3.75 mg mirtazapine --> 4/24/2022 - 20mg cymbalta, 3.75mg prozac   --> 6/5/2022 - 20mg cymbalta, 3.33mg prozac

-4/25/2024 - Finally started tapering again this year after a long break and some unrelated health matters. I'm now down to just 15mg of cymbalta/duloxetine and doing well!

On 1/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, thenextguy said:

Sadly that happens to many people. But also for whatever reason not everyone experiences terrible withdrawals when coming off these meds. Some people manage to handle a "standard" taper. 

I envy the person who can cold turkey or 4 week taper an antidepressant. Blegh

Emerging research is showing us to be correct, though. Some people have immense trouble getting off these drugs.

Hey there

defiantly kindled and still on drugs. ✌️

As you can see from my sig I also got the sampler plater. 7-9 drugs at once. I just lost somebody. Go figure.

One thing that's messing me up is the whole "sensitization and kindling" concept.

I was a victim of the prescription cascade. I've been on and off a lot of stuff over the years, and have had a few successful and unsuccessful discontinuations.

Can anyone relate to being on a bunch of stuff, with a few withdrawals, and still successfully tapered SSRIs?

If feels like it, but we have to be extra careful. 

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 1:08 AM, ThatOneGirlStitch said:

Hey there

defiantly kindled and still on drugs. ✌️

As you can see from my sig I also got the sampler plater. 7-9 drugs at once. I just lost somebody. Go figure.

If feels like it, but we have to be extra careful. 

Thank you :) it's good to see people with similar experiences to mine. Kinda seems like the sampler platter is the rule for people who receive certain diagnosis

I was hoping to get some advice/experiences/wisdom with bridging. My last bridge was to Prozac. Doc had me taking both Effexor and Prozac at the same time. Went up on Prozac and kept Effexor where it was at to "build it up." The result was catastrophic. Progressing over a week, I felt MASSIVELY overactivated and overstimulated. My anxiety was off the freaking charts. I was so restless and agitated I couldn't sit still. At one point I ran a fever. D/C'ed the prozac and it took nearly a month for my CNS to settle down. (Now former) doctor dismissed my experience outright. Didn't care at all. 

Given that cross tapering just isn't going to work, could I feasibly do a more cautious switch to, say, Celexa or Prozac? Like, where I take a few days to flush out Effexor then direct switch to one of those drugs? I recognize that I may dump myself into withdrawal during build-up periods, but I just can't take the chance on that kind of reaction. 

This is of course in the future. I'm kinda sitting still for now. But at some point a switch will need to happen, as it appears I can no longer tolerate my current taper. Historically I've done well on all kinds of antidepressants, so I'm not worried about not being able to tolerate the bridge drug. I just need to bridge the right way. 

Question for the admin/mods: is there a definitive list of possible symptoms one can experience during withdrawal, be it acute or post-acute?

Also, hypothetical: if I increased my dose, roughly how long would I have to be on  that dose for withdrawal symptoms to happen should I drop back down to original dose?

• Moderator Emeritus

The second link has computer and PDF printable versions (of the first link list) for tracking your symptoms for 1 month:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist
Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

42 minutes ago, Thewayshegoes said:

Also, hypothetical: if I increased my dose, roughly how long would I have to be on  that dose for withdrawal symptoms to happen should I drop back down to original dose?

I don't understand your question.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

3 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

The second link has computer and PDF printable versions (of the first link list) for tracking your symptoms for 1 month:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist
Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

I don't understand your question.

Thank you.

Okay, say I'm on 8mg Lexapro. I bump up to 10mg. I wait, then drop back down to 8mg. How long would I have to be on 10mg to experience withdrawal when reducing to my original 8mg?

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Why are asking about increasing to 10mg from 8mg Lexapro?  And then going back down to 8mg.

I cannot understand what and why you are asking this question.

Q:  What drug and dose are you currently taking?

SA's recommended tapering rate is to reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

13 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Why are asking about increasing to 10mg from 8mg Lexapro?  And then going back down to 8mg.

I cannot understand what and why you are asking this question.

Q:  What drug and dose are you currently taking?

SA's recommended tapering rate is to reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

It's an example. I'm not taking Lexapro. If you don't want to answer, don't. It doesn't matter why I'm asking.

• Moderator Emeritus

The effect of psychiatric drug/dose changes on the nervous system is cumulative.

Changing the dose by going up and down when taking a psychiatric drug can upset the nervous system, it becomes sensitised.  We have SA members who have gone up and down and/or on and off their drug or various drugs numerous times with little problem and then one day they change something (and it might be the same as what they did before) but this time it causes problems.

@ChessieCat

Spot on in my humble opinion. 
I got away with all sorts for 40 years, chopping and changing. 
Now it hurts big time to waver from the path.
Ho hum

OldDodgy 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

The effect of psychiatric drug/dose changes on the nervous system is cumulative.

Changing the dose by going up and down when taking a psychiatric drug can upset the nervous system, it becomes sensitised.  We have SA members who have gone up and down and/or on and off their drug or various drugs numerous times with little problem and then one day they change something (and it might be the same as what they did before) but this time it causes problems.

Thank you!

I ask because some odd months ago in an attempt to bridge antidepressants, doc loaded me on prozac on top of my effexor dose. I had a really nasty reaction after about a week. I discontinued after said week and felt the effects afterward for 2 months. I was just wondering if it took so long to recover because I was essentially withdrawing from a higher dose (prozac on top of my regular effexor dose). Just trying to hypothesize what causes what, though it is impossible to know for sure. Sorry about my grumpiness. I had a looooooooonnnggg day. 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Thewayshegoes said:

doc loaded me on prozac on top of my effexor dose. I had a really nasty reaction after about a week.

It might have been Serotonin Syndrome / toxicity:

Drug.com Interactions Checker

Medscape Drug Interaction Checker

• Mentor

@Thewayshegoes

17 hours ago, Thewayshegoes said:

Just trying to hypothesize what causes what, though it is impossible to know for sure

The never ending game of what is causing what🙄 lol...I think most of us do this.........Oh man I feel worse today is it

1- something I ate  2- start or stop a supplement.  3- whatever your brain can think of for a possible reason.

Now your CNS is all worked up and anything can cause a intensified symptom, a new symptom  or it could just be a wave in your healing process.

Do you think you are going to try the bridge to another drug? Such a gambling game we are in....

My suggestion is to learn, learn, learn about these drugs..

What are side affects, adverse reaction, serotonin syndrome, paradoxical reaction, drug tolerance, What is WD. 

Watch Medicating Normal https://medicatingnormal.com/ 

Here is some link to some of their interview https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGiM-snSAzyusMfWgPyH-tENPdjTSRqSi

Look at recent research  here on SA forums   http://In the media   http://From journals and scientific sources

Read, "Your Drugs May Be Your Problem"  by.  Peter Breggin M.D.  Mad in America on you tube has a lot of interviews..........

Here is a interview with Robert Whitaker 

Edited by Greatful

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, 

So I've been experiencing symptoms of serotonin toxicity on and off since my failed cross taper to Prozac. It will go away for a few weeks, then reappear. My doc initially wanted to ride it out but now wants me to taper to 0 on my Effexor over 4 weeks. I KNOW what is going to happen if I do that. Would it be possible to do a smaller decrease in order to mitigate symptoms of toxicity, or am I screwed?

• Administrator

Hello, @Thewayshegoes

How do you feel on 20mg Effexor? How are you measuring it?

What were your withdrawal symptoms while you were reducing Effexor from 75mg to 20mg? What new symptoms did you get after you reduced from 21.5mg to 20mg?

Since your mishap with Prozac, how has your symptom pattern changed?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Thewayshegoes

How do you feel on 20mg Effexor? How are you measuring it?

What were your withdrawal symptoms while you were reducing Effexor from 75mg to 20mg? What new symptoms did you get after you reduced from 21.5mg to 20mg?

Since your mishap with Prozac, how has your symptom pattern changed?

I've been on a hold since my Prozac mishap. 

Withdrawal symptoms typically include flu-like symptoms, dizziness, disorientation, anxiety, OCD-like thoughts and behaviors, irritability, depersonalization. These vary in intensity based on how (relatively) big the taper was. Too big and I'm running a fever, sick, angry, and constant panic and despair. 

I didn't necessarily get new symptoms, but I've noticed symptoms have gotten more intense with progressively smaller tapers. It's gotten difficult to tolerate. 

After an argument with my doctor, who wanted me to halve my dose every week (no way), I've resolved to slow taper. I'm going down by 1mg. Once everything settles I may again attempt to bridge, though will use a different method rather than cross taper.

• Administrator

How has your symptom pattern changed since you last took Prozac?

When things get rocky, it's not unusual for people to take a break of some months from tapering, let your system settle down before making any more drug changes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, Altostrata said:

How has your symptom pattern changed since you last took Prozac?

When things get rocky, it's not unusual for people to take a break of some months from tapering, let your system settle down before making any more drug changes.

Interesting that you say so!

My doctor wanted me to taper to 0 over a month, halving every week, to deal with what we believed to be residual toxicity. I said heck no and told him I'd taper at my own pace. I was expecting an excruciating taper, but things have been relatively mild. Just some cognitive issues and anxiety. It seems the extended hold may have done me some good. That or my system is so flooded with serotonin my body isn't registering dose decreases. Who knows.

My symptoms were stable when I attempted a prozac bridge. After, it was anxiety/agitation/activation, on and off. It blows my mind how bad a bad psychiatrist can mess you up. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/27/2022 at 7:48 PM, Thewayshegoes said:

One thing that's messing me up is the whole "sensitization and kindling" concept.

You can read my story--I don't know if you'll find it encouraging or not. It has taken me like 10 plus years to taper off the meds I was on, and I still have a little ways to go with a couple of them.

I was on multiple drugs and on and off various things with all kinds of nasty withdrawal for like 20 years.

One thing worth being aware of, you can get down to pretty low doses on the drugs to where they aren't really messing you up too much, and still be tapering slowly in order to avoid withdrawal. I would say over half of my taper of citalopram I was in that mode. It really didn't affect me much taking those tiny doses, I got my sanity and my personality back. But I have always been SUPER sensitive to withdrawal so I had to go really slow and really low before I quit completely.

Again, that may or may not sound encouraging to you, but I'm thrilled to have gotten my brain back.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

17 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

You can read my story--I don't know if you'll find it encouraging or not. It has taken me like 10 plus years to taper off the meds I was on, and I still have a little ways to go with a couple of them.

I was on multiple drugs and on and off various things with all kinds of nasty withdrawal for like 20 years.

One thing worth being aware of, you can get down to pretty low doses on the drugs to where they aren't really messing you up too much, and still be tapering slowly in order to avoid withdrawal. I would say over half of my taper of citalopram I was in that mode. It really didn't affect me much taking those tiny doses, I got my sanity and my personality back. But I have always been SUPER sensitive to withdrawal so I had to go really slow and really low before I quit completely.

Again, that may or may not sound encouraging to you, but I'm thrilled to have gotten my brain back.

It does! Thank you!

I've been sensitive to withdrawal for as long as I've been on antidepressants. It's funny, it seems it's serotonergic drugs I'm most sensitive to.