Thewayshegoes: Difficulty tapering Effexor. Trying to stay positive.

Thewayshegoes

I have made the decision to bridge to Celexa. I had a delayed reaction and suffered some pretty nasty symptoms. This taper is making me go insane. Literally.

Does anyone have any experience tapering Celexa, and how does it compare with the behemoths Effexor and Paroxetine?

Thanks.

2014 Effexor reduction 150mg to 75mg. No symptoms.

2015 Effexor fast taper 75mg to 0 over 6 weeks. Excruciating withdrawal. Reinstated after 6 weeks. Symptoms abated.

2019 Seroquel taper. Successful, but very difficult.

2020-2021 tapered Effexor 75mg to 20mg. Taper very difficult at roughly 30mg. Last taper approx 21.5mg to 20mg

2021 Two failed tapers from 20mg to 19mg (August), then 20mg to 19.5mg (November)

10/2021 failed cross taper to prozac. Possible toxicity.
Occasional (once every 3 months average) emergency Ativan usage. Prescribed on and off for maybe a decade. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Thewayshegoes said:

I have made the decision to bridge to Celexa. I had a delayed reaction and suffered some pretty nasty symptoms. This taper is making me go insane. Literally.

Does anyone have any experience tapering Celexa, and how does it compare with the behemoths Effexor and Paroxetine?

Thanks.

What kind of delayed reaction?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What kind of delayed reaction?

Just that it took a bit longer for wd symptoms to appear than usual. Thought I was in the clear then BAM. 

2015 Effexor fast taper 75mg to 0 over 6 weeks. Excruciating withdrawal. Reinstated after 6 weeks. Symptoms abated.

2020-2021 tapered Effexor 75mg to 20mg. Taper very difficult at roughly 30mg. Last taper approx 21.5mg to 20mg

2021 Two failed tapers from 20mg to 19mg (August), then 20mg to 19.5mg (November)

Occasional (once every 3 months average) emergency Ativan usage. Prescribed on and off for maybe a decade. 

@Thewayshegoes

Hi, 

I just want to encourage you that with the experience of the SA group backing you, I think you have reason to be optimistic, even though your current symptoms might be foul. Simply because the Admins have the experience to help you. 

Back in the day I was bounced from paroxetine to sertraline, citalopram for escitalopram——all without tapering or cross dosing.

My memories were of some pretty grim physical side effects but they then CT the escitalopram and put me on an antipsychotic and mirtazipine.  Fortunately I was introduced to a group and shadowed SA and came off all potent psychotropic meds in a measured way. 

The physical symptoms have abated over time with support and understanding, and I hope this happens for you too. 

Wishing you well

OldDodgy 

My Intro topic.  Was Dickie in FB gabapentinoids 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

2020 June Stopped Pregabalin 150 at night using Ashton Method Some holds. 

2021 December Stopped Mirtazipine 15 using Ashton Method. (Slower at end). 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Oxazepam 10mg.STOPPED 10th FEB 2022  “Rescue dose x 2 in 2 months. 

Buccastem 3mg less than 1 a month for nausea. 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

• Administrator
On 3/31/2022 at 9:40 PM, Thewayshegoes said:

Just that it took a bit longer for wd symptoms to appear than usual. Thought I was in the clear then BAM. 

What was the reduction that caused this to happen?

Paroxetine is probably the worst antidepressant to taper.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What was the reduction that caused this to happen?

Paroxetine is probably the worst antidepressant to taper.

20mg to 19mg

Really? Worse than Effexor? Eeek

• Administrator

Paroxetine is so difficult, people often resort to bridging. This topic explains how to cross-taper to another drug. 

Just curious, what is the general timetable for withdrawal symptoms, like when they ought to appear and how long they should stay before disappearing?

• Administrator

For paroxetine, withdrawal symptoms can show up a few hours after dosage reduction. Mild symptoms would be those that go away in a few days. But if they get worse over a few days, they're not mild.

20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

For paroxetine, withdrawal symptoms can show up a few hours after dosage reduction. Mild symptoms would be those that go away in a few days. But if they get worse over a few days, they're not mild.

Okay cool. Thank you.

My w/d reaction was delayed by like 10 days. I reduced, was fine for awhile, then bam. There it was. I had to miss a dentist apt because I was running a fever when they took my temp (usually my first w/d symptom is running a low grade fever for a few hours). Covid test negative. Fever abated, and the symptoms following have been mild in intensity. Cognitive sluggishness, transient anxiety, strange dreams, transient dizziness/vertigo, low mood, overall kinda yucky feeling. I'm okay, I've experienced much much worse in terms of withdrawal. I'm not in distress. In any case, I think this is my cue to hold and not try to taper further until I've completed my bridge. When I do the bridge, I'm going to hold on the bridge drug awhile to let my CNS get used to it. At this point, no rush. 

Doc prescribed Hydroxyzine for anxiety, 50mg. What is everyone's experience with this?

I know it has serotonergic activity so I'm hesitant to make too much of a habit of taking it during my w/d. I took it once and noticed my w/d symptoms to improve somewhat and my anxiety to improve considerably. I want to sleep.

I really dont want to be taking something that prolongs or interferes with the healing process. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest that you do a drug interaction check for all drugs you are currently taking.

Drug.com Interactions Checker
Medscape Drug Interaction Checker

Q:  Are you currently taking Prozac?  There is a serious interaction (for Prozac and hydroxyzine) - I used the Medscape checker.

Edited by ChessieCat
added drug names with serious interaction

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

• Administrator

Please use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum to find discussions of hydroxyzine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, all. I decided to hold off on the hydroxyzine. I dont want serotonergic activity while I'm tapering.

Anyway, I thought I'd announce that I am switching to Fluoxetine in the next few days. I've hit a brick wall with Effexor and can't go any further. I initially suggested Citalopram to my doc due to it being a less activating and more "pure" (selective) SSRI than Fluoxetine. She assured me that Fluoxetine is by far the least problematic taper. Wish me luck.

My only issue is how activating prozac is. I've been having issues with hypomania as a part of withdrawal. I fear prozac may exacerbate that.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help but feel immensely discouraged. 2 months ago I attempted tapering by a very small amount and got hit hard. I tried to "ride it out" as I've tried to do before and just couldn't. I reinstated 1 week ago and things have been gradually improving. But this is the 3rd time in the last 8 months this has happened. I'm just stuck here. Tapering is already too difficult to do as is. If my system has been "sensitized" by these attempts, and it's now even harder, it is then impossible. I'm giving up and staying on Effexor. My doc and I have been discussing a switch to fluoxetine, but I'm not even going to do that. Maybe down the road if I feel up to it I'll cold turkey and brace for impact. But I'm just not playing this game any longer; tapering by very small amounts and being hit with ridiculous withdrawal. Thanks for all your help everyone.

This site is so doom and gloom. Alto suggests tapering carefully, so I taper by miniscule amounts. Withdrawal hits hard. Alto says reinstate but it might not work. Withdrawal symptoms should be mild and short lived. But any reduction at all causes outrageous symptoms. So what do I do? Taper so slowly it takes 30 years to discontinue, and even then withdrawal is unbearable?

This is maddening and I'm done with it.

@Thewayshegoes

I am so sorry you feel so lost and fearful. 

I hope you find some peace very soon. 

OD 

2020 January Stopped Quetiapine 150 at night in a fairly chaotic fashion with holds, jumping at 6mg 

Nov 21 - Given Quetiapine 12.5 for sleep. Reduced mid March 2022 to 6mg - Off 30/5/22

Feb 2022 Ongoing Diazepam 17.5, Blip at Christmas when took 22.5mg for a few days, now 24 FEB Stable 17.5 as advised. Had long covid. Now going to 16.25 from 8/7/22. 7% drop 

Past meds since 1969 -Approx dates only available. Tranxene 15, Clomipramine 150 for about 25 years. 1993 Paroxetine 20 AD change. Diazepam 20mg swap from Tranxene.

Oxazepam 10mg Prn since 1990's  1995 Trial of MAOIS. 2000 Escitaopram 10mg. 2015 trial of Trazadone. 2004 Pregabalin 150 at night.

2015 Started on Quetiapine 150 note, Mirtazipine 15 note. Diazepam increased to 30mg split dosing. 

2 hours ago, Thewayshegoes said:

I can't help but feel immensely discouraged. 2 months ago I attempted tapering by a very small amount and got hit hard. I tried to "ride it out" as I've tried to do before and just couldn't. I reinstated 1 week ago and things have been gradually improving. But this is the 3rd time in the last 8 months this has happened. I'm just stuck here. Tapering is already too difficult to do as is. If my system has been "sensitized" by these attempts, and it's now even harder, it is then impossible. I'm giving up and staying on Effexor. My doc and I have been discussing a switch to fluoxetine, but I'm not even going to do that. Maybe down the road if I feel up to it I'll cold turkey and brace for impact. But I'm just not playing this game any longer; tapering by very small amounts and being hit with ridiculous withdrawal. Thanks for all your help everyone.

This site is so doom and gloom. Alto suggests tapering carefully, so I taper by miniscule amounts. Withdrawal hits hard. Alto says reinstate but it might not work. Withdrawal symptoms should be mild and short lived. But any reduction at all causes outrageous symptoms. So what do I do? Taper so slowly it takes 30 years to discontinue, and even then withdrawal is unbearable?

This is maddening and I'm done with it.

Hi @Thewayshegoes

So sorry to hear you have been suffering with withdrawal even at low dose tapering. I am in the same boat - can manage about 3% а month.

It is absolutely your choice to stay on the drugs. We don't advise people one way or the other, we just assist them if they choose to taper properly. And you won't be alone in picking that road. 

just out of curiosity is anything else interfering with your withdrawal, other psych drugs (street or prescribed), alcohol, supplements and vitamins? All those can set people back. The most notorious one is alcohol. But even vitamins like D and B can be quite bad.

Hope you feel better soon

omw

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus

Others that might cause issues are antibiotics or prescriptions drugs/creams/drops containing steroids or allergy medications.

7 hours ago, Onmyway said:

Hi @Thewayshegoes

So sorry to hear you have been suffering with withdrawal even at low dose tapering. I am in the same boat - can manage about 3% а month.

It is absolutely your choice to stay on the drugs. We don't advise people one way or the other, we just assist them if they choose to taper properly. And you won't be alone in picking that road. 

just out of curiosity is anything else interfering with your withdrawal, other psych drugs (street or prescribed), alcohol, supplements and vitamins? All those can set people back. The most notorious one is alcohol. But even vitamins like D and B can be quite bad.

Hope you feel better soon

omw

3% per month would be wonderful! Lol

Ugh sorry everyone about my woe is me rant. I was feeling very lost. 

I am at a brick wall with my current drug. My last taper was 20 to 19.625 (1.8%). I presented with hypomania, dissociation, panic/anxiety, visual disturbances). Alto advises us to reinstate if such symptoms appear, then taper by a lower amount. But I decided to try to ride it out. Gave up after 2 months with no relief.

I'm just beaten down and it's hard to stay optimistic. Doc and I have been talking about a switch to Prozac. Idk when I'll be ready. 1 week back on 20mg and I'm feeling much better but still a little woozy. Reinstatement has historically worked for me. Let's hope that holds true.

No supplements. Occasional (every 2-3 months) alcohol use. No drugs. I do take hydroxyzine occasionally. I try not to.

Just so we're clear moving forward: if I reduce dose and severe w/d sets in, it's abort mission and reinstate immediately, don't try to ride it out. Correct?

Also, is it normal for w/d symptoms to be unpredictable? Every time I've experienced them they've had a different presentation.

yep. WD symptoms can be unpredictable. 

It is up to you to decide whether to reinstate or not, we can't make that decision for you - you know the risks and the benefits. We generally advise a small updose rather than going back to your previous dose. 

Effexor is hard to withdraw from. Prozac bridge is possible, we don't advise it as it can also go wrong but sometimes people have no other options. You can read the thread on it and decide for yourself. 

We find that alcohol can really set people back and intensify withdrawal a lot so we advise full abstention for many years. Again up to you what you do with that recommendation. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@Thewayshegoes

Hi. As ever On my way is super! 

I have withdrawn some folk on Effexor at ten percent but surely slowly is often necessary as you have found. 

I am afraid it’s a bumpy road. Or was for me. 

I only got off stuff with very intense support from a previous group. Every time I tripped they saw me through. 

Wishing you well 

OD 

38 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

yep. WD symptoms can be unpredictable. 

It is up to you to decide whether to reinstate or not, we can't make that decision for you - you know the risks and the benefits. We generally advise a small updose rather than going back to your previous dose. 

Effexor is hard to withdraw from. Prozac bridge is possible, we don't advise it as it can also go wrong but sometimes people have no other options. You can read the thread on it and decide for yourself. 

We find that alcohol can really set people back and intensify withdrawal a lot so we advise full abstention for many years. Again up to you what you do with that recommendation. 

My last Prozac bridge attempt was a cross taper. I got massively overactivated. I already find Prozac to be activating (was on it some years ago, could tolerate it), and I think mixing it with Effexor was all bad. But from what I understand I could be "sensitized" and will be too activated regardless, as if this ridiculous process needs to be even harder. If I can't bridge to prozac, I'm screwed as far as tapering goes.

I went back to my previous dose because I literally cannot measure any smaller a dose. 

Oh so now you're going to take drinking away from me too? What else can't I have?

20 minutes ago, OldDodgy said:

@Thewayshegoes

Hi. As ever On my way is super! 

I have withdrawn some folk on Effexor at ten percent but surely slowly is often necessary as you have found. 

I am afraid it’s a bumpy road. Or was for me. 

I only got off stuff with very intense support from a previous group. Every time I tripped they saw me through. 

Wishing you well 

OD 

I appreciate the support. Thank you.

• Mentor

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much with Effexor. It’s an awful drug to WD from. I’ve read your topic here, and didn’t see any reference to some important variables. I have a few important questions for you:

What form of Venlafaxine are you taking? Is it immediate release or extended release? Beads or tablets?

How are you measuring/preparing your doses?

Are you aware that immediate release needs to be taken twice a day, 12 hours apart?

Are you aware that if you are cutting an XR tablet or mini-tab, it too must be taken twice a day, 12-hours apart?

If the last two scenarios fit you and you are not taking them twice a day, 12 hours apart, then the withdrawal symptoms would be unbearable. Effexor is bad enough to taper when done correctly.

I just want to make sure you were aware of the above.

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, FindRest is correct about twice a day dosing.  Post #1 of the Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor) discusses this in details.

When you take a drug that has a short half life you may experience interdose withdrawal.  Signs of this happening:  there is a daily  pattern of you feeling worse symptoms prior to taking your drug (this may be several hours or more depending on the half life and how fast you metabolise the drug) and after you take your dose you gradually start to improve.

Also see:

dose-splitting-for-interdose-withdrawal-from-short-half-life-drugs

• Administrator
On 6/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, Thewayshegoes said:

I am sorry this is so difficult, as 17,000 registered members beside yourself have found. If we could make it easier, we would.

There are people who find going off Effexor to be very difficult. You may be one of those people. You did, however, taper from 75mg to 20mg.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, Thewayshegoes said:

My last Prozac bridge attempt was a cross taper. I got massively overactivated. I already find Prozac to be activating (was on it some years ago, could tolerate it), and I think mixing it with Effexor was all bad.

It's very possible that if your doctor added a "normal" dose of Prozac, such as 20mg, to whatever amount of Effexor you were taking, that you did experience serotonin toxicity. But that's your doctor's fault, not a sign that bridging with Prozac is not possible. FYI 
The Prozac switch or "bridging" with fluoxetine

However, you probably should wait to make this switch, to let your last attempt at tapering settle down.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, Thewayshegoes said:

Occasional (every 2-3 months) alcohol use.

It's possible you've been setting yourself back every 2-3 months by drinking alcohol. Again, this is not something we should be blamed for.

Very sorry you find yourself in this position with so many others, because doctors are so ignorant about the effects of the drugs they prescribe.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, Altostrata said:

I am sorry this is so difficult, as 17,000 registered members beside yourself have found. If we could make it easier, we would.

There are people who find going off Effexor to be very difficult. You may be one of those people. You did, however, taper from 75mg to 20mg.

It's very possible that if your doctor added a "normal" dose of Prozac, such as 20mg, to whatever amount of Effexor you were taking, that you did experience serotonin toxicity. But that's your doctor's fault, not a sign that bridging with Prozac is not possible. FYI 
The Prozac switch or "bridging" with fluoxetine

However, you probably should wait to make this switch, to let your last attempt at tapering settle down.

It's possible you've been setting yourself back every 2-3 months by drinking alcohol. Again, this is not something we should be blamed for.

Very sorry you find yourself in this position with so many others, because doctors are so ignorant about the effects of the drugs they prescribe.

My doc added a small amount, 5mg prozac, to my current dose to let it "ramp up." After about 7 days or so I began feeling very unwell. Anxiety, agitation, restlessness, high temperature. These symptoms (except high temperature) gradually faded over 2 months. I didn't get any of the clonus or hyperreflexia, so my doc dismissed the idea of toxicity. In fact, he dismissed the whole thing altogether. He pressed me on why I couldn't taper Effexor in the 6 weeks his guidelines suggested, and asked that I sign a release so he could talk to my PCP, in order to figure out what was "wrong" with me.

I have a new doctor now.

Anyway, I chalk it up to activation. I find both drugs to be activating on their own. Together, even in small amounts, spelled trouble. I have no idea. This whole thing is maddening. 

What are my options if I've kindled, and I'm hypersensitive to prozac?

• Administrator

You cannot drink alcohol.

If I understand your signature correctly, you are taking 19.5mg Effexor. You have succeeded in reducing your dose part-way. You will need to let your nervous system settle down from exposure to too much Prozac before deciding on next steps.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You cannot drink alcohol.

If I understand your signature correctly, you are taking 19.5mg Effexor. You have succeeded in reducing your dose part-way. You will need to let your nervous system settle down from exposure to too much Prozac before deciding on next steps.

Right. After the last time I drank, the reality became apparent to me. It compounded what I was experiencing. Best to avoid. I think it's best I find other coping mechanisms for the darkness that takes me sometimes.

I wanted to ask you, as you have a wealth of knowledge, what do you make of my situation and my Prozac bridge failure? In my attempts to taper I've had to reinstate 3 or 4 times. I'm afraid I've sensitized myself. In any case, I'm holding here a solid 4-6 months at least. This process has worn me down. I'll have to make a switch eventually, because I'm done fighting with this drug.

• Administrator

You've gotten down to 19.5mg Effexor, but you've made a lot of drug changes from which you need to recover. It's possible you will be able to taper directly from Effexor (by removing beads) if you let your nervous system settle down for some months, with no additional drugs, alcohol, or other disruptions.

Other than that, I cannot tell the future.