btc5005: Need help achieving steady state dose

btc5005

In 2015 I was prescribed 10mg of Prozac for GAD and severe depression after several months of trying to "stick it out" it became apparent the dose was entirely too high.  I should mention I am extremely sensitive to all medications ( over the counter/ prescription)  After speaking with my doctor we lowered the dose to 5 mg daily which proved to be too much as well.  We decided to adjust the dose down to 2.5mg every other day which seemed to work well for approximately 1 yr.  I noticed some weight gain over that time and was feeling a little better so I decided to begin tapering my dosage a bit.  I tapered down to approximately 1 mg every other day where I am currently holding at.  This past summer I began to notice what I believe to be were early withdrawal symptoms setting in on the days I did not take my dose.  I have been trying to determine how to achieve a "steady state" dose since I am taking a micro dose of the drug?  Doctors seem clueless on the topic and continue to offer what I consider bad advice.  I realize "skipping does" is not advisable but at the time it allowed me to tolerate the drug better.   

My goal is to achieve a steady state dose of 1mg and hold there until things become stable again.  Any advice on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.  Currently my sleep is pretty erratic and the anxiety higher than usual.   

2015- 10mg Prozac daily, .05 Ativan daily as needed.

2016- 2.5mg prozac every other day, discontinued Ativan

2017- 1.25mg every other day

2018-1.25 mg every other day

2019- attempted to taper down to fast, had to reinstate to 1.5mg

2020- 1.25 mg every other day

2021- 1mg every other day

2022- 1mg every other day, withdrawal symptoms began setting in.

• ChessieCat changed the title to btc5005: Need help achieving steady state dose
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.   You have come to the right place.  It sounds as if you may have had an adverse reaction to the Prozac.  What symptoms did you have on the higher doses, such as 10 mg, and 5 mg?  Is your ultimate goal to get off the Prozac entirely? 

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

We at SA do not suggest skipping doses of an antidepressant.  This causes the level of the drug in the blood stream to vary, and may cause nervous system instability, and hence the symptoms you describe - anxiety and sleep problems.  

If it were me, instead of taking 1 mg every other day, I would take 0.5 mg every day, at the same time of day.  I would suggest using the liquid - it would be the easiest way to measure out small doses with a syringe.  This link will explain how to do that:  

Tapering Off Prozac

Since you are showing signs of nervous system instability, I would stay on the 0.5 mg Prozac for several months, until I felt better. 

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Welcome to the forum, and let us know how you are doing!  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you for your recommendation regarding my current dosage.  I currently just picked up the liquid form of Prozac but I have some concerns with switching from the tablet to liquid.

Concerns:

1. You recommended taking .05 each day to achieve a steady dose.  Will this initial drop be too much for my nervous system to adjust for given

its accustom to a slightly higher dose ( 1 mg every other day)?  I understand the thought process behind the recommendation (.05+ .05=

1mg),  just concerned with making the transition as smooth as possible given the extremely low dosage.

2.  I am highly concerned with switching directly to the liquid from the tablet given the known concentration/filler differences contained in each

form.  I did make sure to order the same brand of liquid Prozac (Teva) as the tablet form I am currently cutting/taking in a effort to further

minimize these inconsistencies when I decided to make the jump.  Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.  I fully understand I

may just have to take the "jump" and deal with the ramifications to achieve the end goal.

At this point, my long term goal is to completely be free from this medication but for the time being I want to get this dosage figured out so I can begin to feel better.  The ups and downs each day are extremely difficult to deal with as anyone reading this surely knows.  I often find on the days I take my small dosage I feel better but on the flip side days off often feel just as good as well.  It seems to be about a 50/50 split,  I am not really sure how to explain this phenomenon other than possible inconsistencies with weighing my small dose along with the long half life of the drug?

I appreciate any comments, suggestions moving forward and I am very thankful a platform like this exists.   One day at a time, stay strong everyone!

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, BTC5005 said:

1. You recommended taking .05 each day to achieve a steady dose.  Will this initial drop be too much for my nervous system to adjust for given

its accustom to a slightly higher dose ( 1 mg every other day)?  I understand the thought process behind the recommendation (.05+ .05=

1mg),  just concerned with making the transition as smooth as possible given the extremely low dosage.

It would be 0.5 mg, not .05.  So overall, it is not a drop in the dose over time, it is that you are getting a daily consistent dose.  It will be much easier on your CNS than taking it every other day.  Taking the drug every other day tends to be very hard on the nervous system, so switching to 0.5 (half a milligram) every day is not a change in dose, it is being more consistent in the the dose.  

3 hours ago, BTC5005 said:

2.  I am highly concerned with switching directly to the liquid from the tablet given the known concentration/filler differences contained in each

form.  I did make sure to order the same brand of liquid Prozac (Teva) as the tablet form I am currently cutting/taking in a effort to further

minimize these inconsistencies when I decided to make the jump.  Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.  I fully understand I

may just have to take the "jump" and deal with the ramifications to achieve the end goal.

How have you been measuring your 1.0 mg dose?  You may be able to stick with the pill form for a bit.  We suggest switching from the pill form to the liquid form gradually.  The 2 links below will explain several ways to dose a small amount of Prozac, and also how to gradually cross over from the pill to the liquid.  

Tapering Off Prozac

Cross Over from Tablet to Liquid

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

I have been measuring my dose via an electronic scale so the 1mg does is purely an estimate based on cutting down the 10mg tablet.  How do you recommend transitioning to the single does everyday?  Do I half my current dose on the "off day" or take down the dose on the " on day"?  This is where I am struggling,  my sleep has been very poor, anxiety very high, twitching at night, just utterly miserable at this point for the most part. 

Yesterday was my on day, I took my usual dose (measuring it out on the gram scale it was .018) my typical dose every other day.  I was jittery, anxious and felt off all day.  I barely slept (less than 2 hours), up all night peeing, twitching and restless.  Today is my Off day but I am not sure how to bite the bullet to get to a steady state.  Do I take a smaller dose ( like .010 today to try to get to steady state?) or wait till my next On day and take it lower from .018 to .012 or some gradual shift.  I am terrified to bite the bullet and just do it, and I am getting no help from the doctors or pharmacists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.