jleigh853: Effexor Cold Turkey after 1 month Use, Bupropion HCL 150mg 24 HR ER Started Next Day- Help!

jleigh853

My dr had me discontinue my Effexor 37.5mg/day after starting it on 12/28/21, and discontinued on 1/28/22, and immediately start Bupropion HCL 150 mg 24 HR ER on 1/29/22. Felt wonderful this past saturday, 1/29/22, felt absolutely great on sunday 1/30/22 at church, the best I had in a long time, then sunday afternoon hit, cleaned the house inside and out and the dizziness, confusion, nausea, headaches, etc... started kicking in, I felt awful, couldnt drive, no appetite, and then continued on throughout the next day, attempted to work, i work from home so I am constantly on the computer taking calls, taking pts, so my eyes constantly are moving, severe brain zaps kicked in in the morning and continued ever since, dizzyness, severe headaches, sinus pressure, inability to focus,  chills, shakes, had to clock out midday this past monday due to symptoms, same yesterday, no improvement, severe constant crying, i feel like I am losing it...i am also a group member on the Facebook Group "EFFEXOR (Venlafaxine) Tapering, Discontinuation Syndrome and Protracted W/D" and they suggested I also come here to speak with someone about recommendations to reinstate due to also taking Bupropion as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am making myself work not to lose anymore money, my dr doesnt seem to concerned about it, have a phone appt scheduled with her tomorrow, only due to the fact i pushed for a sooner opening then my original appt this friday, I am at a complete loss and the only thing that I can deduce the cause to is Venlafaxine Withdrawal Syndrome being the cause, but hard to tell as i started Bupropion, and I am afraid my dr will just throw another med at me instead of figuring this out. The reinstatement recommendations on the Facebook Group page stated the following, " How the person quit the drug and how long he or she's been off it. If you've just quit cold-turkey 37.5 mg Effexor a few days ago, you might reinstate at 18.75." I am wanting to know what others thoughts are on all of this, this is all new to me, and I have completely frustrated and feel like i'm losing it right now. Sorry for the ramble, I make not being making much since in this post due to all my symptoms and trouble with focus, memory, etc...please bear with me. I just feel like crying all the time. :( 

• ChessieCat changed the title to jleigh853: Effexor Cold Turkey after 1 month Use, Bupropion HCL 150mg 24 HR ER Started Next Day- Help!

Effexor Immediate Stop, Bupropion Immediate Start Next Day

Start Date for Effexor 75mg/day (2- 37.5mg capsules taken per day): 12/28/21

End Date for Effexor, No Taper Was Given by Dr: 1/28/22

Beads Per Capsule: 87 

Amount of pills left before last refill runs out- Dr would not continue giving me refills, denied to taper: 215

Start Date for Bupropion 150mg HCL XL Extended Release: 1/29/22

This past sunday pm I started feeling the normal Venlafaxine Withdrawal Symptoms: nausea, dizziness, brain fog, confusion, off balance, sudden extreme mood swings, constantly crying, brain zaps, headaches, stuffy nose, sore throat, chills and shakes, feels like I have a fever at times, trouble focusing, blurry vision at time from brain zaps. I spoke with my dr to follow up from complete sudden end date for effexor and the above symptoms, she seemed to think I was getting a cold, and to test for covid, for the dizziness and nausea she recommended dramamine, couldnt explain the brain zaps or any of the other symptoms I was having aside from maybe the cause being starting Bupropion and in the early days of the new med, body needs to adjust. I had to miss 3 days of work this week, i do work at home scheduling pts all day so constantly on the computer and its fast paced and my brain and all these issues couldnt keep up, so I have not been feeling well. I wondered if anyone could shed some light on what options I have, my dr denied restarting my Venlafaxine and just sticking it out with the Bupropion XL 150mg/ day and said it will balance out. I guess I'm not sure where to start, honestly. I am also a member of the FaceBook Group for Effexor Withdrawal/Taper, but they mentioned to connect with this group as well since I am also taking Bupropion. Any information would be greatly appreciated and welcome. I am new to all of this with withdrawal symptoms. :(

Edited by ChessieCat
added intro topic title before merging with intro topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a volunteer-run community of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry you are in this predicament.  What reason did your doctor give you for switching you from Effexor to Bupropion?  

Thanks for giving us your drug history in your post.  Could you possibly also put a concise abbreviated drug history summary in your signature?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Use this format:

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Drug name: date, dose, date, dose, date, dose…

Etcetera

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.   This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is a link with checklists of common WD symptoms: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklists

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I agree, in that I think you may possibly be helped by a reinstatement. This is best done very carefully.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved. The sooner you reinstate after you quit the drug, the more likely that the reinstatement will work.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Did the Facebook group suggest an 18.75 mg reinstatement taken twice a day, for a total of 37.5 mg Effexor per day, or just a total of 18.75 for the entire day?  If it were me, I would try a reinstatement of 18.75 mg Effexor, 18.75 mg being the total dose per day.  However, this is your decision to make.  Read the above link carefully, and let us know what you decide to do.  If you do go with reinstatement, I would immediately discontinue the Bupropion, because Effexor and bupropion have a major bad drug interaction. You can do this, since you have only been on it about a week, and your brain would not be dependent on this drug yet.    

According to www.drugs.com: 

Interactions between your drugs

Major

buPROPion  venlafaxine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Effexor (venlafaxine)

BuPROPion may rarely cause seizures, and combining it with other medications that can also cause seizures such as venlafaxine may increase that risk. You may be more susceptible if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Please let us know what you decide.  It sounds like if you do reinstate, you may need to find another doctor who will be willing to work with you on this.  Here is a link with info about doctors who are favorable to working with people in withdrawal from psych meds: 

Recommended Doctors

Here is a link that can help you figure out how to get your proper dose: 

Tapering and Dosing Buproprion/Wellbutrin

Please keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do, and how you are doing.  There is a way out of this.  Time and patience are the keys. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly