Joeindians: Came down off Lexapro now chronically fatigued

Joeindians

Hi I’m joeindians, 

I’m a 38 year old male that weighs around 200 lbs and about 12 years ago I “hurt” myself with an accident that messed up my fascia tissue in my lower abdominals/ pelvis. This has caused me great distress for my sleep because I wake up 4 times a night to pee.  It has also caused me great anxiety. 

In March of 21’ I was prescribed lexapro 10 mg. The first few days were rough because of the depersonalization effects but after it was gone, things were incredibly better. Then about in early June ‘21,  I became extremely fatigued. I went to the dr and they did all the sleep studies/ vitamin studies and found only a slight apnea thing which didn’t explain that I felt extremely tired after I took lexapro.
Fearing for my anxiety coming, I continued to take  lexapro until December when I decided it was enough. I used a nail filerer to file small amounts of lexapro 10 mg  everyday from dec 30-Jan 25. I’m still experiencing chronic fatigue everyday, along with brain zaps, vivid dreams and  constant ringing in my ears.
I sleep about 9 hours a night and I am still exhausted. And  I still wake up to pee 4-5 times a night. 
Life really sux right now. How long should these withdrawals last? I know it’s a hard question to get answered but I’ve been only on the drug for about 10 months even though the bad effects took place only 3 months into taking the drug. 
anyway, the only thing that kinda helps is my faith and my deep yogic breathing I do everyday. 

thank you 🙏 

0.0 lexapro 

2021 mid February  lexapro 10 mg

2022 start Jan - end January  (30 day taper to 10 mg - 0 mg of lexapro using nail filer) ,

100mg of 5HTP mid feb- end feb 

mid may 2022 - mid november 2022 taper 1.0 mg lexapro unorthodox taper to 0.0 mg by mixing it up with salt water

• ChessieCat changed the title to Joeindians: Came down off Lexapro now chronically fatigued

@Joeindians

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site helping people taper off antidepressants and other medications, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members going through the same situation or similar. We ask that each member only have one introduction page to keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature. Thanks.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

You have tapered off of Lexapro way too fast. We don't suggest more than 10% a month and some members go much slower than that.

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Urination and Bladder Issues (Male and Female)

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

At this point, you could reinstate a small dose, around 0.5 mg and hold that dose for 7-10 days until it reaches full capacity in your body and see if that helps. At that point, you could always updose a small amount. Then you would hold for quite a while before beginning a 10% or smaller taper a month.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You could try a small amount of magnesium and omega. They are calming to a lot of members on here. If you want to try one, try a small amount, wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided, please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Mentor

@Joeindians Also welcome!  Tiredness and no energy is a definite side effect of these medications and can be a symptom of withdrawal also. 

There are a lot of us prescribed this stuff for physical pain me being one of them. And it ain’t as great as they said it would be. They don’t tell you much about side effects. Take this pill they say.
So I am continuing to learn non drug coping skills as I taper . Still a work in progress. Non drug coping skills plays an important part in what we are up against. There is a lot of information on SA. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Would you suggest I retake the substance at 1 mg at taper down from there if I am 2.5 months from my last dose of 10  mg of lexapro 

2022 start Jan - end January  (30 day taper to 10 mg - 0 mg of lexapro using nail filer) ,

mid may 2022 - mid november 2022 taper 1.0 mg lexapro unorthodox taper to 0.0 mg by mixing it up with salt water

• Administrator

Hello, @Joeindians

Before any further discussion, we need to know more. To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator
On 4/6/2022 at 11:13 PM, Joeindians said:

Would you suggest I retake the substance at 1 mg at taper down from there if I am 2.5 months from my last dose of 10  mg of lexapro 

Yes, if you are still having withdrawal symptoms. If you wish, you could take 0.5mg-1mg of Lexapro's sibling citalopram (Celexa) instead, it may be milder. Both escitalopram and citalopram come in a prescription liquid for titration, as explained in 

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

What Dr would be the easiest to convince to write a Rx for these drugs? Ty btw. 

• Administrator

Just about any doctor would be delighted to write a prescription for an antidepressant. Most will not understand withdrawal and a very small reinstatement. You might say you would like the liquid preparation because you had adverse effects before and want to gradually titrate up.

thank you. I'll let you know how it goes

• 3 weeks later...

couldn't get the liquid version so I opted for 5 mg of pill form. I'll have to make a solution.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joe,  You asked the following in a PM to me.  Sorry, but I do not assist members with their drug questions via PM, but I am happy to help you here in your Introduction topic.

I want to make a solution from a 5 mg tablet of lexapro. I want to take 1 mg of of the substance and slowly taper. How many ml of water should I use and should I use ora plus as well? thank you in advance.

1. I’m putting 10 mL of water in a small glass. 
2. I’m then dropping  5 mg tablet of lexapro into the solution

3. Then I’m Stirring solution.
4. Then I’m putting 10 mL of maple syrup in.

5. I’m stirring the solution more.
6. Then I’m pippetting what I need.

In this case, Im pippetting the 4 mL of the solution because I’m taking 1 mg. 

I’m using a 5:20 or 1:4 solution. 
let me know if you any suggestions

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

It is better to use a saline solution, and the instructions (quoted below for your convenience) about how to do that are in that Post:

On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

Escitalopram oxalate occurs as a fine, white to slightly-yellow powder and is freely soluble in methanol and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), soluble in isotonic saline solution, sparingly soluble in water and ethanol, slightly soluble in ethyl acetate, and insoluble in heptane. According to RxList,com.

Your best bet would be to use a homemade isotonic (normal saline) saline solution (9% salt in water) which is made by dissolving 9 grams(1.8 tsp) of table salt in 1000mL of water.  Preparing a Saline Solution  The NS(normal saline) should be good for up to a month to draw from.

Draw out or extract the amount of NS(normal saline) for your desired dilution, add to a separate, mixing vessel, preferably amber colored, and with a lid, then add in your escitalopram tablet or powdered tablet until it's dissolved.  Keep protected from light in the refrigerator, and best to remix a batch of your Lexapro(dissolved) at least every week.

Please read the information provided and if you have any further questions please ask them here in your Introduction topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you 🙏.. I’m still getting used to this website.. can Saline container can be clear ? Or does it have to be amber colored as well ?

• Moderator Emeritus

It would probably be better to have it in a dark container.  The reason is that the light can cause anything in the water to grow.  For example, I keep regular tap water in my refrigerator in a light proof jug and I don't have any issues with anything growing in for a very long time.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

When changing from tablet to liquid it is generally better to do this gradually and without making any other change at the same time:

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

I work nights tho I might take some time off to concentrate on my health 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've just realised that you are doing the liquid to reinstate so that cross over does not apply.

From your drug signature:

Q:  Are you still taking 5HTP?

Please read Post #1 of this topic: 

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

Hi @Joeindians

Welcome to SA. I'm sorry for what has brought you here. Good you found the site.

I fast-tapered off of Lexapro (under the supervision of a psychiatrist!) at a rate tantamount to cold turkey. I didn't find SA until years later, when reinstatement was no longer an option.  

I'm glad you're working with the mods to reinstate and stabilize. You are wise to do so.

Good luck to you on your journey, 

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

I’m not taking htp 

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I've just realised that you are doing the liquid to reinstate so that cross over does not apply.

From your drug signature:

Q:  Are you still taking 5HTP?

Please read Post #1 of this topic: 

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

Do those Plastic amber bottles from the local pharmacy work as a good mixing/holding container for the substance ?

• Moderator Emeritus

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

As long as it is convenient to use any glass or suitable type of plastic container can be used.  If you cannot find a useful size/shape you could always use a clear one and place it inside a dark container, eg lunch box.

• Administrator

The tinted pharmacy containers are fine.

I’m kicking myself rn. Just had a really bad anxious, night accommodated by crazy vivid dreams. My thoughts are racing.  Did I make the right choice in reinstatement? I guess time will tell. 🤞 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please add the date for the reinstatement to your drug signature.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:12 PM, Altostrata said:

Yes, if you are still having withdrawal symptoms. If you wish, you could take 0.5mg-1mg of Lexapro's sibling citalopram (Celexa) instead, it may be milder.

1mg Lexapro is approximately equal to 2mg citalopram which is the higher reinstatement dose of citalopram that Alto suggested.

If you have only taken one of two doses of 1mg Lexapro then you could try reducing to 0.5mg Lexapro.

• Administrator

If you've already taken 1mg Lexapro, the question is: What effect has this had?

just had a really bad night that included nightmares, high anxiety, restlessness. 

I’ve taken five doses of 1 mg of lexapro: should I 

1. ride the storm and keep going 

2. immediately switch to 0.5 mg lexapro 

3. give it a few days and wait 

bare with me if I didn’t understand that I should take only .5 mg of lexapro.. I’m having chronic fatigue problems at the moment . 😞 Also having trouble donating: is ur PayPal (removed email due to bots and spam)

Edited by ChessieCat
removed email

Is it a big deal that a started at 1.0 mg of lexapro instead of 0.5 mg of lexapro 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/2/2022 at 10:13 PM, Joeindians said:

Also having trouble donating: is ur PayPal (removed email due to bots and spam)

Q:  Did you try this one, which is the Donate Today link:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=MBNKPTCS8Z7U8

Email in this post (it is a graphic so bots can't find it):

• Administrator

You've taken 10 doses of 1mg now. How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 4 days?

Thank you for your interest in donating.

My symptoms have gotten worse for the most part. The crazy anxiety is gone though I am sleeping 11 hours a day and fatigued through out. (as opposed to only sleeping 9 a week ago) I am experiencing more intense vivid dreams. My ringing in my ears is constant. I do not have brain zaps however. I am in a pit of despair rn. It should be noted that I have always had a high nervous system before I took lexapro. Let me know if I should go down in dosage ASAP. again, my fault if I didn't follow protocal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back to being "stable" though I could need advice on exercise, diet, alcohol tolerence, activities, etc for optimal relief of my CNS. I do relaxation methods daily for my tight pelvis. Pelvicpain60.com. I still sleep like poop. I recently quit my job so I can focus on my mental health. thanks in advance if you have any suggestions. I have a high nervous system and I am weaning off of lexapro. 

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/17/2022 at 5:01 AM, Joeindians said:

I could need advice on exercise

Some members find that over exerting themselves can cause an increase in symptoms:

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

On 5/17/2022 at 5:01 AM, Joeindians said:

diet

There are many existing topics on SA.  You can use the site search function or use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.  I think there are several topics about different types of diet so you might need to be more specific with what you search for.

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Absolutely no alcohol, maybe for many months. What is your sleep pattern?

Go to sleep around 4am wake up at 2 pm. wake up a few times a night to pee

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

• Administrator
On 5/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, Joeindians said:

Go to sleep around 4am wake up at 2 pm.

Is there a reason you keep these unusual hours?

On 5/20/2022 at 6:15 PM, Altostrata said:

Is there a reason you keep these unusual hours?

I work late night in the customer service industry. I just quit my job however. Looking to get healthy again and be closer to God. (fingers crossed) 😊

• Administrator

Keeping more regular hours may help your nervous system to settle down.