Averus32: Prozac did this to me. I tried others.

Averus32

Hi. 

I'm currently having the worst time tapering off Trazodone. 

However. My problems started in April 2017 with emotional blunting/Anhedonia after coming off Prozac. 

I went a year after until I started more treatment on Citalopram in October 2018. 

This didn't help at all (it kept me the same). 

I switched to Mirtazapine in June 2021. 

This didn't help at all - the withdrawal gave me insomnia and what I can only describe as shear terror in the pit of my stomach, reducing me to a shaking crying wreck with no hope. 

Then came Prozac a second time and within the month I experienced overwhelming Depersonalisation and Derealization, my skin felt like rubber and being so emotionally stunted I couldn't even think my thoughts and my suicidal thoughts and feelings hit a peak. 

I switched over to Trazodone - in the first week I started to violently shake, however

this also put me to sleep. On higher doses it increased my Derealization and caused me to shake.  - on lower doses I stared to feel better, the shakes were gone and my Derealization lowered. 

I've gone three weeks now without medication and I'm truly skeptical about them. 

This week has been particularly hard. 

I've been constantly suicidal over the past few months and need advice. 

Prozac/Fluoxetine - October 2016 - April 2017 

Citalopram - October 2018 - June 2021

Mirtazapine - June 2021 - August 2021

Prozac - October 2021 - November 2021

Trazodone - November 2021 - March 2022

Sertraline - June 2022 - present

Emotional blunting/ Anhedonia being the main symptom. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Averus32: Prozac did this to me. I tried others.

@Averus32

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site helping member to taper off medications such as yours, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have on introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Did you just stop taking the Trazodone? That could be causing a lot of your symptoms. We never suggest that you just stop taking the medications. We suggest no more than tapering 10% a month and a lot of members on here go slower than that.

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

At this point you could try a small reinstatement and see if that would help. You would hold for 7-10 days to make sure the dose is steady in your system and you could always increase a little if needed.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here except 2 as they can be stimulating to the nervous system. If you would like to try one, try a small amount, wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided, please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Sure, how do I create a signature??

@Averus32

I provided the link above:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please keep it simple so that we can see your drug history at a glance and not have to read through sentences to get the information.  See the Instructions.  Thank you.

This link goes straight to your drug signature.  Remember to SAVE.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Anhedonia - how long does this take to go away?

Hi, for five years now I've been experiencing only what I can say is full blown anhedonia and emotional numbness and just wondering how many of you going through it either A. Cured it or B. Cured it with time? 

For me, it's felt like Prozac gave it to me and I've never been able to turn the light back on. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic (moved from success stories)

Thank you, I have made a recent post. 

I've been drug free for at least two months now and still have Anhedonia and blunting. 

I have a constant tiredness too or no motivation to do anything. 

I've only had these symptoms since antidepressants and they don't help but rather worsen things for me. 

Is their any success stories where emotional numbness went away or was treated with anything? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the link to SA's topic:

apathy-anhedonia-emotional-numbness-emotional-anesthesia

Here is the link to the search for the term "anhedonia" in the Success Stories forum:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=anhedonia

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Suffering alot this week. 

Can't feel anything but sadness and emptyness. 

I wanna hold on but I honestly don't want to be here anymore. 

I'm supposed to be going onto ADHD medication soon but I'm terribly I'll be damaging myself more. 

I've had 5 years of this feeling ever since I CT'd Prozac back in '17. 

I'm terrified I'll never get back to me. 

Something's shifted today, finally. 

I got out of bed yesterday to feel the sun and it did help. 

I've started to try Magnesium and Fish Oil for Omega 3 and drink Green Tea daily now for a boost that I'm trying to feel. 

The magnesium comes in baths with Epson salts and its quite relaxing - magnesium supplements I find are quite stimulating and I just don't like them.  

Head still feels full of pressure and I'm still numb, but I'm trying to be as positive as I can. 

Any advice to navigate through this more is much appreciated. I spiral quite easily and need the encouragement. 

Just want my life back. 

Back to feeling blunted. 

Can't get out of bed, completely dissociated. 

Seriously suicidal. 

Help. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Do you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages or eat foods containing MSG or aspartame/phenylalanine?

Or taken any antibiotics or other supplements (other than magnesium and fish oil omega 3?

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Do you drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages or eat foods containing MSG or aspartame/phenylalanine?

Or taken any antibiotics or other supplements (other than magnesium and fish oil omega 3?

I've been taking a multivitamin called Neuromind and I did have a drink this weekend. 

I haven't been able to get out of bed this weekend at all, like I've literally spent 48 hours in here. 

I also drink Green Tea. 

Help please. I'm spiralling pretty badly. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/16/2022 at 11:37 PM, Averus32 said:

I did have a drink this weekend

If the worsening happened after the alcohol then I think it is most likely the cause of the worsening of your symptoms.

Other members have reported the same thing happening after they drink alcohol:

alcohol-and-beer

On 7/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, brassmonkey said:

Drinking alcohol is a major factor in excellent recoveries getting derailed.  We just had a case of a member who has been drug free for several years with an excellent recovery underway.  They had a couple of drinks over the weekend and tripped off their symptoms all over again.  Luckily, it cleared in a few days, but that is not always the case.

Brassmonkey has had experience with both Paxil and alcohol so in this comment below he is speaking from experience.  From his drug signature:  Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:26 AM, brassmonkey said:

It is recommended that you don't drink any alcohol at all during withdrawal and even after reaching "0".  We have a number of members who were nicely into recovery/healing who had a few drinks 10 months after reaching "0" and it threw them right back into acute WD. It is also very common, especially around the holidays, for someone who is having a smooth taper to have a celebratory glass of wine and a day later start an extremely bad wave that lasts a very long time. Also for people who have regular drinks during the week who are having problems with their taper, when they stop drinking they stabilize and have a much smoother time of it.

Paxil is particularly bad because it can cause alcohol cravings and lowers ones resistance to those cravings. 

Maybe so. 

I just feel numb all the time - I went out and just had two and boom - supernumb. 

Today has just been pretty bad. 

I take omega 3 every day now but stopped taking the multivitamin. 

I take magnesium baths every now and again but taking magnesium in supplement form gives me the runs and I find it quite activating. 

I keep thinking that this is never going to go away - I've had this anhedonia now for near on five years and I just made it worse or prolonged my recovery. 

Every day is just feeling like a war. 

I'm better at night - mostly because that's the time I KNOW I shouldn't be doing anything anyway like now (It's quarter to one in the morning in the UK right now)

I explained tonight that it's like being trapped in a cardboard box with the fustration to get out but without the panic or excitement to truly escape.

I've been watching a YouTube channel called Kurosaki Elly who's been living with Anhedonia for years and it's helped. 

However, the days ahead fill me full of dread. 

• 1 month later...

Reinstated Sertraline. Couldn't help it. Still numb. 

Don't know what to do from here. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please add dates and doses to your drug signature:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature