gillyvanilly

Hi everyone! I’ve discovered this forum and have found it to be a great resource, and decided to post as I’m in a bit of a tough situation and could use some advice/words of wisdom.

I was on Lexapro 20mg for probably 6-7 years and Seroquel 150-200mg for about 8 months. I had been referred to a Psychiatrist and after our first phone call chat, she thought I might have bipolar 2 so she wanted me off both meds to try another med. That med reacting horribly with me so only lasted 2 days.

I had no knowledge of the tapering process, withdrawals, or how long it should be. So because of this, I listened to what the Psychiatrist told me to do. 

I came off BOTH meds in 2-3 weeks. I thought that seemed a bit fast, but listened anyways. Fast forward to now, it’s been 2-3 weeks since I’ve been off those meds and I’m now just learning just how horribly fast that was. Especially for my length of use.

So basically, I have no clue what I should do. Should I reinstate at a low dose? 

It makes things tougher that I’ve now been taking Ativan 1-1.5mg daily for 2 months or so, and as of yesterday had to make a huge cut to .5mg due to my circumstances. 

I’m truly so overwhelmed and anxious about all of it. 

If anyone could give advice on what to do, whether I should reinstate, etc, I’d really appreciate it. If reinstating is a good choice, I’m not sure what dose to reinstate with as I only have 20mg pills of Lexapro, and 25mg pills of Seroquel.

Lexapro 20mg - (2016/17- 2022)

Seroquel 150mg - (august 2021-late april 2022)
Rapid taper from lexapro & seroquel in 2 weeks (late april- early may 2022)
ativan 1mg - daily around mid april 2022.

Was on 1mg for a month or so then 1.5mg for two weeks. 
huge cut to .5mg of ativan on May 29th 2022 due to realizing i’ll run out before i can refill (planning on tapering slower once i refill) 

Gabapentin 100mg-300mg 3x a day - increased from May 25th-Present

• gillyvanilly changed the title to gillyvanilly - Introduction, Reinstate or no?
  • ChessieCat changed the title to gillyvanilly: Introduction

@gillyvanilly

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Most dr.'s or psychiatrists don't know how to taper you off these medications and you end up with a lot of withdrawal symptoms.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Brain Remodelling

How long have you been off your medications? You could try to reinstate Lexapro at 0.50 mg, as it is a very strong antidepressant and it is easier to reinstate at a small amount and go up if necessary.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Your body becomes dependent on a benzo (Ativan) in two weeks. Cutting 3/4 of your dose at one time is not a good idea at all. I would reinstate to your original dose and hold on that before tapering it. But you will want to taper the Lexapro first. And only taper one medication at a time. You should split your dose into 3 equal doses and take it 3 times a day, so 0.50 mg morning, noon and night.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Benzo-wise doctors who will assist in benzodiazepine tapering

I would not reinstate the Seroquel until we know how the Escitalopram and Ativan reinstatement goes. You can always reinstate it a later time.

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can be too stimulating to the central nervous system (CNS). We do suggest magnesium and omega as they do calm the nervous system in some. If you want to try them, try one in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

After reading the links provided, please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@Frogie

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I’ve been trying to read as much info as I can about everything now that Im aware of how fast I was tapered off my meds, as well as benzo tapering. 

I’ve been off my 2 meds for around 2-3 weeks I’d say. I read somewhere here that it’s usually recommended to reinstate within that time frame? So would it still be alright for me to do that? 

I currently only have 20mg Lexapro pills, so I’m unsure on how to get the .50mg. I know about the liquid titration method, but unfortunately I’m not the best with math and so I’m still left confused on how I’d do that. 

I do have an appointment with a doctor today, so should I ask about it to her instead? I’d have to get .50mg from a compounding pharmacy right I’m assuming? 

And yeah, the cut to .5mg of ativan is way too big I know.. I didn’t want to cut this big, but unfortunately I had to as I realized I would run out before I can refill if I continued to take 1mg. I can get a refill around the 10-11th I believe. 

Do you still think I should go back to the 1mg after I get the refill, and taper from there? I’m just worried about kindling or setting things back. 

The only thing I’m worried about in regards to tapering the Lexapro first, is being on the ativan for longer. I know that the longer you’re on it, the more difficult it can be to get off. 

Sorry for the questions!! Despite reading a ton, I still feel clueless with it all. 

huge cut to .5mg of ativan on May 29th 2022 due to realizing i’ll run out before i can refill (planning on tapering slower once i refill) 

@gillyvanilly

If you have an appointment with your dr today, ask them for liquid. It is so easy to use and then taper off of. You can get exact measurements then. Otherwise, I would crush and weigh the tablets.

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

Yes, are in the perfect time frame to reinstate and hopefully it will help.

Can you get a running prescription for the Ativan? You need to let your dr know that you have now become dependent on it and you need it to be able to stabilize an then taper off of it very slowly. Benzo's are very difficult to taper off of, no matter what the dr says.  You want to taper off the Lexapro before the Ativan. Lexapro is an accelerator and the Ativan is a brake which will help with the Lexapro taper. But you will be on the Ativan quite a long time, so please make sure you have an adequate prescription. You can not just taper off in a month or two. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

@Frogie

The lowest dose of Lexapro is 5mg right? If I got that in the liquid, I would still be able to get .50mg from that? 

Thats great to know I’m at least still in the timeframe where reinstatement is better. I’m hoping the doctor can or rather will prescribe the liquid to me, and even better if they understand that I was tapered off too fast.

Im not entirely sure about the running prescription. My prescribing/family doctor has given it to me the past 2-3 months, and at one point did say that if I become dependent after taking it daily it’ll need to be tapered off. I think she was a bit weary of prescribing it, the last times she did were due to me trying a new med so she gave it to me to help. 

I’m a bit scared to tell her about the dependency and tapering off due to some doctors immediately cutting people off when they hear that, but Im hoping she doesn’t. Maybe if I tell her that I’m suffering from coming off of the Lexapro too fast she’ll understand and prescribe more. 

Also - just to clarify, the doctor I’m talking to today is not my regular/family doctor that I just mentioned above. The doctor today is one I’ve never met as 1-2 weeks ago I was desperate to talk to a doctor about tapering. I do have an appointment with my family doctor/prescribing doctor on June 7th.

• Mentor

Hello @gillyvanilly and welcome!

I second what Frogie has said and agree what y’all have said. 

Even though you can taper a few different ways , prescription liquid lexapro is easier if you can get it. I would ask pharmacist if they can get it first because some drs will tell you they can’t get it because they don’t know and it’s not normal. Then ask dr .

But if you can’t get liquid in your area that’s ok there are other ways to adjust dosage. 

Use the liquid with a 1 ml syringe. I would get a 5 ml and a 10 ml syringe just in case you have to adjust dose any further. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

@Heath

Thank you for the reply and warm welcome! Happy to be here in this community. 

So if I used a 1ml syringe, Id be able to dose out .50mg? 
I know there’s always the option of going to a compounding pharmacy for the .50mg dose but it might just be easier to get the liquid at lowest dose and then dose that right? 

I know we have some syringes at home, I’ll have check what size/ml they are. 

I totally forgot to mention, but as of May 25th I’ve been on Gabapentin. Started at 100mg 3x a day and I’m now currently taking 300mg 3x a day. 

Just spoke to the doctor, and she ended up not prescribing Lexapro (lovely). She said that because I’ve been off of it, they wouldn’t want to go ‘backwards’ in a way. Which is what I was hoping they wouldn’t say.. Should I wait until I talk to my actual family/regular doctor next week to ask again or should I just try liquid titration? I only have 20mg pills, so not sure how I’d make the concoction. 

Would a telehealth doc be able to prescribe (liquid or pill) Lexapro?

@gillyvanilly

Definitely talk to your dr about the Lexapro.  You were tapered off way too fast.

You will have to taper off the Gabapentin at a later date. But please add that to your signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I don't tell people to lie at all, but I did lie to my dr to get him to keep my prescriptions going because he was cutting me off basically cold turkey. You could simply tell your dr you want to go back on the Lexapro and they are usually compliant with that.

Were you able to get any Ativan? If not I would talk to your dr about that also.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, gillyvanilly said:

So if I used a 1ml syringe, Id be able to dose out .50mg

Yes. You can order online. Amazon has them cheap. Like I said get you som 5s and 10s also. Like said above you have to take care of you and you need the medication to safely taper off. Talk to dr firm but respectfully with allowing him to fill he is in charge per day.  Tell them what they need to hear to get med to keep you safe. 

just some thoughts for talking to dr. 

“I am going to have to taper slower. For me to do so I must use liquid. I tried going slow with pills but still get wiThdrawals. Just too fast for me. I need to go real slow.  If I take the pills the withdrawal feelings go away.  Can you write me a script for liquid ? I talked to pharmacist and they said that it is available. I have been on lexapro for years and feel safer with it. “

Just remember there are plenty of drs with a prescription pad ready to give out this stuff.   Hang on to your old prescription bottles in case you need to present to different dr. Probably not but just in case.

To stay on lexapro would be best and not throw more confusion with different drugs. You were ok on lexapro for years , is this correct ? , if so it would be safer staying with lexapro. 

2013-2018 merry go round

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

@Frogie

sorry i was gonna change my signature but wasn’t sure how! i’ll do that now.

i’ll definitely be talking to my actual doctor about the lexapro next week. i was tapered way too rapidly and don’t want to wait too long to reinstate.

i might just have to say to her that i’d like to go back onto the lexapro but at the lowest dose. then hopefully from there i can either ask her for the liquid or just make my own.

unfortunately i didn’t bring up the ativan/getting more because 1) i believe it’s too early for a refill and i didn’t want to be marked as ‘drug-seeking’ and 2) because she isn’t my usual doctor i wasn’t sure how she’d react. 

i don’t even think she could have given me any since i wouldn’t be able to get a refill until the 10-11th unfortunately. 

@Heath

thank you for the tips for asking/talking to my doctor! that’s something i worry about because i wasn’t sure the best ways to ensure that they’ll listen or do what i want in that scenario. 

ill definitely be hanging onto the prescription just in case. 

i was okay on lexapro for years. i was put on it 6-7 years ago when my anxiety got bad/was just starting and it was good for that time i was on it. not sure if my anxiety just got worse or the lexapro wasn’t working for me anymore before i stopped. 

• Mentor

Another thing to think about is not even telling dr about tapering off. Just tell them you would like to go back on it. You feel better with it  yadyyada. And they will get you a script rt away. That’s just an option. You know what vibe you are getting from the doc. We can’t experience what you are in detail. 

One member told dr she felt like she was choking with pills and needs liquid. The member said dr thought she was crazy anyway so he didn’t want any trouble if she went to er complaining about choking on pills that her dr gave her🤷‍♂️

just some thoughts

2013-2018 merry go round