Margaret1: an attempt to discontinue paroxetine

Margaret1

@Margaret1

adding new psychotropic medications while in withdrawal can actually make things worse in the long term even if it works for a day or two, it turns on people and they end up at a much worse place. You are welcome to do as you wish but be warned.

If you continue experimenting with new medications we will not be able to help you here. We are a site for going off of medications and as manymoretodays mentioned earlier we do not want to give you advice that you ignore and then deal with the consequences when things go wrong. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Be patient with me. 
Stopped vraylar, stopped melatonin, stopped visteril, stopped everything except 

Paxil 20 mg

started abilify 2 mg daily

50 mg shot haloperidol once monthly 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

previous: 40 mg  paxil for 20 years, 100 mg trazodone, 200 mg seroquel, b complex 100, vitamin d3, magnesium, Keto diet please see dr berg

Coming off Paxil from 40 mg to 20 mg has sent me into mania. I need sleep guys, I need to take a med to get off Paxil. Only thing I know to do. I can’t go to a sanitarium for 5 years. I must work and make a living.   I’m going to go off Paxil and abilify eventually, but for now I will continue to lower Paxil and stay on abilify. For three months. Then I’m finished. 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

previous: 40 mg  paxil for 20 years, 100 mg trazodone, 200 mg seroquel, b complex 100, vitamin d3, magnesium, Keto diet please see dr berg

• Administrator
On 12/2/2022 at 3:56 AM, Margaret1 said:

started abilify 2 mg daily

Please update your signature and let us know when you want to reduce your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I stopped paroxetine. How do I update the drug signature? I am only taking 2 mg Abilify and 15 mg mirtazapine also. That’s it. Please assist. 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Administrator

Updating your signature

Assist with what?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok guys… in bipolar mania coming off Paxil. Please help

buying excessively 

not sleeping 

med Abilify is helping but it also is causing legs to tighten up 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Administrator

Did you cold turkey Paxil?

Antidepressant withdrawal symptoms may be mania or hypomania, bipolar disorder has nothing to do with it.

We provide peer support to help people taper psychiatric drugs. If you choose to quit your drugs without tapering, there's a very limited amount we can do. It amounts to telling you to either reinstate a small amount of the drug (or a related drug) or to cope with the withdrawal effects.

First of all, I want to thank this site and everyone on it. Getting off the paroxetine was essential to my recovery.  And is essential to my recovery. Not yours, but mine. My experience is that it wasn’t the med for me. 
Going off it has been monumental. All I can say. Quite monumental. 
I do have bipolar mania. And have had this since I was a young child, for reasons I think I will not discuss here. But I see it in my mother, and grandfather. I may be wrong. But I see mood swings in them. 
Abilify is saving me right now. Will I stay in it? I hope not. But for now, I need to. I am back on 10 mg approx. of Paroxetine daily. The Mirtipizine I will stay on as well. And that is what I am doing. 
The paroxetine is just too hard to go off of entirely presently. But I will get off this med eventually. 
I am going through a lot. And I have decided to back off from this site for now. 
I appreciate the work that is done here. You have saved my life. 
Thanks again 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

Ok guys, I need y'all to hold my hand through this. I am going off Paroxetine and continue on Abilify and Mirtazapine only. For now. My doctor is ok with me going off the antidepressants. And the abilify too. For now, one step at a time, the paroxetine is going finally. Please be near and keep me in your prayers.

These meds are pure sorcery. They are not an answer. This site is so helpful. Please be patient with me. I'll be posting everyday.

Aimee

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

One more thing... FOLLOW THE MONEY! Someone, somewhere is making money off this stuff. Its not about love or God. Follow the money. I hope to give back to this site one day.

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

When I was molested by my pediatrician at 7 or so things went downhill. Also at 15 I changed. This was before any meds. Please know this. I 1/2ed the Abilify. It was causing leg cramping bad. I Feel better. Thank you. Staying on 20 mg Paxil still. I lowered it too quick. And the remoron. 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yah.  Of course.  Trauma is not good.  You were doing the best could to cope.  I hope it's gotten at least somewhat addressed, and acknowledged by others in your life.  Simply to have it acknowledged would be good.  Again, I'm so sorry for that, and angry that..... that person did that to you.  You were a child.

I cannot keep up with your drug changes.

And when you put "current" into your drug signature it doesn't really keep us informed over time.  Dates, year, month, day are so much nicer.

Signature update/edit

And Margaret1,  You can do a lot of nervous system dysregulation by frequent and constant drug changes too.  So do try to just stay put for a little bit.

I hate to see you going back up and on different drugs, but you are making so many frequent changes.  That's going to keep you in instability too.

See:  The rule of 3KIs: Keep it simple, slow, and stable

Look at # 2 ^

I hope you follow that.

And best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi guys. Doing good.  Not sleeping great For heaven's sake! 

I'm down to 2 mg Abilify and 10 mg Paroxetine, it's amazing. 

My brain is finally gettin back to normal. Losing weight, but I'm OK.

It's all good. I am feeling fine. I should have never taken any of those meds.

I know that now. It's even better that I did so that i can't. See?

ye's got me. I'm just peachy. I'm so good actually. 

I've got ya'll. I'm going to take care of this site one day. Just can't right now unfortunately.

Ya'lls doing good work. Thank you.

Thank you for being you.

This is just great. I have a smile on my face today.

Finally, thank you God. Thank you all of yall. 

Couldn't of done this without.

I'm just pearly. Yay!

My voice is coming back. I can smell! I can taste food suddenly.

Having brain shifts like just extroadinary. Connections I nevah had b fo. 

IT's all good now. I'm not in a frown...anymore,,,,thank you all.

If I can, I will stand!

I will stand amongst all of ya'll one day.

In person! 

In time. 

In rhyme.

Love ya'lls always.

It's just going be rough going this last bit.

HOld tight, i'm not in fright. 

I'm just another just like you

Thank you. 

and 

God bless ya''ll

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

Head buzzy, face buzzy, in and out of mania, depression, feel like nothing..

then back up 

weirdest ride of my life

do not honestly even know how to talk about it

it's other worldly

upset stomach

frequent urination

just can't come down

when i do

I literally pass out. 

I am ok. 

They can't stop me I know.

I'm riding it out. Strong and steady. One day at a time.

Can not rush this. No way Jose.

It's beauitful, it's ugly, it's just downright upset belly!

;)

That was pretty good, right?

Love ya'll

Have a great night.

And do something nice.

Music is like being in a the most beauitful world that you suddenly came upon 

and you are just riding it out

it's too good to be true

now i see you

thanks 

it's been real

i'm here now

i'm back.

thank you. 

if i seem poetic...well it's true!

i've been down for so many years 

to come back from that

it's unbelieveably truth

finally

i'm here now

thank you

go away psych meds

i through with you!

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

And as far as having an accurate past drug sig. Ya'll know

I've been given every med known 

They threw it all my way

That is over now. Thank you God.

Moving forward if someone wants to know exactly

what meds I was on previously and what dosages, I will need to contact every hospital, every dr, every FOOL I ran across over the last 25 years or so. 

Moving forward, let's start here:

I am taking 10 mg paxil, and 2 mg abilify only now. 

Feeling super shakey today.

Super real though.

Super grateful to be getting my MIND back WHOOOOOO!

But i'm a a o k. God's got me. FINALLY!!!!! 

Well, HE was always there....just waiting for us to appear

Thanks everyone and have a wonderous holiday if you do that sort o thing

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

3 minutes ago, Margaret1 said:

And as far as having an accurate past drug sig. Ya'll know

I've been given every med known 

They threw it all my way

That is over now. Thank you God.

Moving forward if someone wants to know exactly

what meds I was on previously and what dosages, I will need to contact every hospital, every dr, every FOOL I ran across over the last 25 years or so. 

Moving forward, let's start here:

I am taking 10 mg paxil, and 2 mg abilify only now. 

Feeling super shakey today.

Super real though.

Super grateful to be getting my MIND back WHOOOOOO!

But i'm a a o k. God's got me. FINALLY!!!!! 

Well, HE was always there....just waiting for us to appear

Thanks everyone and have a wonderous holiday if you do that sort o thing

Angels are real. 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• 2 weeks later...

Titled:  Final Stages of Med Withdrawal

I’m down to 10 mg of Paxil only. 20 to 10 was rough. No sleep, feet frozen muscles cramping up back of right calf. Mood swings …. Manicky. Just pure craziness. Starting to level off. Taking 25 mg of seroquel at times to deal with this withdrawal and get some sleep. Face cold, fav hot, hot flashes! Oh 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged and added title

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

There is a whole world out there to explore!!!!!

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

Chewing ice helps 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

Hi

Is anyone interested in taking on Smith Glaxo? They shouldnt be getting away with this. We can get a good lawyer and take them on.

Edited by Shep
removed personal phone number.

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Margaret1 Please note I just edited your last post to remove your phone number. Please do not post your personal contact information on the forum. This site can be seen by anyone, not just members, so it's not safe to post any personal information. This is for your own safety. 

On 12/12/2022 at 5:11 AM, Margaret1 said:

I do have bipolar mania.

You may be having adverse affects from your drugs, too. 

What time(s) of the day are you taking your drugs? And at what dose? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Margaret1,

Easy does it please on posting in all caps.  I kept your last 2 posts, but we have a rule about using all caps.  And ask that you don't.  So they are there, just not visible now.

It's yelling in internet land.  And also it's tough on our eyes too.  We who read multiple entries at once, and spend a few hours here. 

17 hours ago, Shep said:

You may be having adverse affects from your drugs, too. 

What time(s) of the day are you taking your drugs? And at what dose? 

Did you see ^?  And would you answer with the drugs you presently take.  I had updated your signature for you awhile back.....so check that too for accuracy.

I know you are upset and feeling angry at this whole situation, with the drugs and how they push them at us, and then how many of us have had harm.  Many of us feel the same.

Okay, and best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Ok guys. I am at 10 mg Paxil and taking 100 mg seroquel at night. These are my only drugs. I needed the seroquel to sleep. And I am lowering the paroxetine this Tuesday to 5 mg. I am also getting a shot of Risperdal on Monday because I have had bipolar mania since I was raped as a little girl. Will

post on tuesday how I am

doing. Thanks 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Mentor

Hi @Margaret1

Why are you dropping so much Paxil ? 10 mg to 5 mg is way too much. Please be careful, this drug is vicious to get off, and you don’t want to put yourself into unnecessary suffering. 

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

Well I’m doing it it’s time been in it for 27 years it is not taking any more time from me 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Margaret1 said:

I am also getting a shot of Risperdal on Monday

Are you on forced treatment and required to be injected with this drug? 

These types of abrupt drug changes are likely what's causing a lot of your symptoms. Mania is a withdrawal symptom. While childhood trauma is definitely in play here, there are many trauma-informed treatments that do not involve subjecting your body to these types of toxic drugs. 

Alternatives for psychotic outbreaks

14 hours ago, Margaret1 said:

And I am lowering the paroxetine this Tuesday to 5 mg.

10 hours ago, Margaret1 said:

Well I’m doing it it’s time been in it for 27 years it is not taking any more time from me 

These drugs take more time from you the faster you discontinue your drugs.

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

• Administrator

@Margaret1 this community is for tapering drugs in a controlled, systematic way to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Your preference is to make dramatic changes in your dosing and let the chips fall where they may. We cannot help you with any bad results from this. I'm sorry, your situation is beyond peer support here.

• Moderator Emeritus

On 1/8/2023 at 3:08 PM, Margaret1 said:

Ok guys. I am at 10 mg Paxil and taking 100 mg seroquel at night. These are my only drugs. I needed the seroquel to sleep. And I am lowering the paroxetine this Tuesday to 5 mg. I am also getting a shot of Risperdal on Monday because I have had bipolar mania since I was raped as a little girl. Will

post on tuesday how I am

doing. Thanks 

To get to your signature, for updates......here is the short cut:

AccountsSettings/signature updates/edits

Just try and get 2023 started there, with all your changes.

I got a bipolar diagnosis from my drugs effects.  And agree that present symptoms are likely drug related, and that 50% reductions in Paxil are not harm reduction, nor are frequent drug changes......the way you keep doing them.

Agree again.......some trauma informed therapies that don't employ drugging are in my intentions for you now.  So sorry too......for the childhood rape, and subsequent toll it's all had on you and then the belief that you have fixed "mental illness".  Oh Margaret, sure hoping things settle a bit......and soon.

Best in healing, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi guys

still on 10 mg Paxil not ready to lower again. Swollen legs feet. Mood swings. It’s the hardest thing I have ever done. 

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Margaret1,

Were you meaning to post here, in your topic?  I just merged you back here to your Introduction topic from another members Introduction topic.  Keeps your information together.

8 hours ago, Margaret1 said:

till on 10 mg Paxil not ready to lower again.

This is good to hear ^.

Still on Seroquel?

Did you get injectable Risperdal? 

Bring us and your signature up to date when you can.

Oh.....I am just glad to see you HOLDING for a bit.  Have you checked side effects of your current drug(s)?  Just to see if your symptoms might be related to the drugs.  Drugs.com, Medscape, and lot's of online sites to check on your drugs.  Get in the habit, get knowledgeable about what you put into your body.

Sending healing, some even moods, and good vibes in general,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi

im trying to post in correct place I’m just really struggling. I get shot on Thursday of Risperdal. And I am taking 10 mg Paxil and 400 mg seroquel daily.

15 mg mirtazapine daily 

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, thank you Margaret1.

Sounds like you don't have a choice in the matter?  Is this the case now?

Can you hold off on the injection of risperdal and see if the now increased Seroquel helps?

And you don't need to answer, just typing that so you have something to think about.

Anyway hang on, and in there.

We'll be here when you are in a better place to taper.

I'll just type that again.

Your present drugs:

Paxil 10 mg

Seroquel 400 mg

Risperdal injection- date and dose unknown at present

And hugs, and extra healing......

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

@Margaret1 Please work with your doctor. What you're doing is far too complex for an online forum.

As @manymoretodays wrote, we'll be here when you're ready to taper. 

But we're not able to assist while you're making so many changes to your cocktail. 

• Mentor

@Margaret1

its very hard getting off of Paxil. You are most definitely in withdrawals from Paxil. Can I ask you who decide to order a shot of risperdal and why?

When I was in withdrawals, my physiatrist ordered seroquel 3 times  a day for me ( which I did not compley to) 

I am so sorry you are suffering.

Just a gentle reminder, be your own advocate, ask questions and follow your heart.

Doctors are humans and they for sure don’t know it all.

Edited by Hanna72

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

• Administrator

@Margaret1 if you've increased your drugs, you do not need to report that here. That's your decision. Please let us know when you're ready to reduce your drugs.