vvanessaa23: hi fellow survivors

vvanessaa23

Hi everyone! I recently found this site through a rabbit hole of Reddit threads about SSRI withdrawal. I’m a 22 y/o female and I’m two months off of Zoloft and feeling so miserable all the time. I think the worst part of it is that I didn’t have GAD, but had ADHD and was misdiagnosed and prescribed medications that made everything worse but at some point I just felt numb and didn’t notice. I finally had enough after 7 years as I started having random spells of vomiting that have stopped since I’ve gone off the medication. Emotionally I was shaking and anxious for a week, then okay for the following week, then randomly 3 weeks later I started feeling miserable and irritable all the time. I’m worried that the feeling will never go away and am feeling quite hopeless at the moment. I’m hoping this group can help me get through this as my friends and family don’t seem to understand the extent to which this is bothering me. I’m pushing everyone away, sleeping too much or too little, have no appetite, headaches, etc. It feels never ending and I really just wish I’d never taken SSRIs to begin with. I’m trying vitamins, CBD, and exercise but somehow it’s not helping. I’m not sure what else to do, even talk therapy doesn’t feel like it’s helping currently. Any advice or coping techniques that helped you guys? Thanks in advance:)

2022-Present: Vyvanse
2015-2022: Zoloft (100mg)

• ChessieCat changed the title to vvanessaa23: hi fellow survivors

@vvanessaa23

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

I looked up information on Vyvanse and this is what WebMD says:

Nausea, vomiting, constipation, stomach/abdominal pain, loss of appetite, dry mouth, headache, nervousness, dizziness, trouble sleeping, sweating, weight loss, irritability, and restlessness may occur. If any of these effects last or get worse, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

So, some of the symptoms you had or may still have could be coming from the Vyvanse. Also you tapered off the Zoloft way to quickly. We do not suggest more than 10% a month and many go much slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Withdrawal Normal Description

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Here is some information on nausea that you may find useful.

What to Do for Nausea, Queasiness

Digestive Problems

You could try reinstatement of 1 mg of Zoloft and see of that helps. It takes 7-10 days for it reach full effect in your body. Then you would hold for quite a while and taper very slowly.

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We don't suggest CBD or vitamins as it can be too stimulating. We do suggest magnesium and omega though. If you would like to try a small amount try one and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After reading the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, Frogie said:

@vvanessaa23

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off psychiatric medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

I looked up information on Vyvanse and this is what WebMD says:

Nausea, vomiting, constipation, stomach/abdominal pain, loss of appetite, dry mouth, headache, nervousness, dizziness, trouble sleeping, sweating, weight loss, irritability, and restlessness may occur. If any of these effects last or get worse, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

So, some of the symptoms you had or may still have could be coming from the Vyvanse. Also you tapered off the Zoloft way to quickly. We do not suggest more than 10% a month and many go much slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Withdrawal Normal Description

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Here is some information on nausea that you may find useful.

What to Do for Nausea, Queasiness

Digestive Problems

You could try reinstatement of 1 mg of Zoloft and see of that helps. It takes 7-10 days for it reach full effect in your body. Then you would hold for quite a while and taper very slowly.

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We don't suggest CBD or vitamins as it can be too stimulating. We do suggest magnesium and omega though. If you would like to try a small amount try one and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After reading the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

Unfortunately I had to quickly taper off as it was causing me vomiting spells where I couldn’t leave my house for

days, they only stopped once I had tapered off. This is also the reason I can’t reinstate, I already struggle with eating enough so not keeping food down nearly put me in the hospital. Nausea isn’t as bad because at least I can eat a little bit at a time and be okay. I do already take omega-3s and magnesium as they aid with migraines, so minus the quick taper I’ve been doing my best. 
Vyvanse symptoms or mostly fading with time, irritability is mostly around my menstrual cycle so I don’t have much control of it - it’s just been worse when I wasn’t numb to feelings. Thank you for your advice and help!

2022-Present: Vyvanse
2015-2022: Zoloft (100mg)

Hope you are seeing some improvements.  Take good care of yourself!

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Risperdal one month low dose (forget amount) stopped bad reaction

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 100 mg Summer 2020/Zoloft 75 mg Summer 2021

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

March 1 titrated Zoloft up from 0 to 65 from February to Early May

Severe vision problems at 65 mg (improved depression)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Mirtazapine -3.5 mg six weeks mid march to end april, occasionally for sleep

Supplements: Fish oil, magnesium, lions mane, cytokine suppress, MCT Oil

I wish I had good advice for you, but all I can say is that I’m in the same boat on my tapering journey! I’m 3 months off of Prozac. The isolation and lack of understanding from family and friends is really hard because the symptoms can feel all-consuming. I keep wishing I had never started SSRIs too. I hope improvement in symptoms is progressing for you or at least on the horizon soon!

citalopram 20mg 3/2019-8/2020

citalopram 40mg 8/2020-9/2020

fluoxetine 20mg 9/2020-4/2022