CookiePretzel- hi! Prozac Withdrawal Introduction

CookiePretzel

Hi all!

If you’re reading this, I’m sorry you’re here. Truly. I added a signature but a quick rundown on me-

after I had my last baby in December 2020 I was diagnosed w postpartum hypertension. I was terrified I’d have a heart attack or stroke, so the doctor gave me a script for Lorazepam. I had no history of anxiety or depression. I fell dependent in 20 days and the doc dropped me as a patient. 2021 and benzo withdrawal were my darkest days. I jumped from .0625mg November 2021. That was followed by 2 months of depression and 4 more months of windows and waves, then I was ok. 

I tapered off Prozac last year. Everyone told me to CT and I knew better, but still tapered a bit quick. 20mg in 5.5 months. Everything was fine once I jumped, but then one day last month (coincidentally 3 months post-jump) I had caffeinated coffee on accident (only drink decaf now) and a beer. I’ve been able to handle alcohol ok. But to go from 10-30mg caffeine to 300+ was a nightmare. I got dropkicked into acute with panic, dread, doom, all the worst mental symptoms. It passed in a few days. I’m still curious if the wave was caffeine induced or just the delayed effects of discontinuing Prozac. The last month has been windows and waves with less intense waves and less glorious windows. I just hit 4 months off Prozac. I’m in a wave right now but it’s manageable. The symptoms are more physical right now than mental which is always easier for me- heart palps, muscle tension, chest tightness, worsened tinnitus, stuff like that. I know this will all be behind me some day so I try to just ride the waves! 

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 
2/21 Prescribed 20mg Prozac/ day. 
11/21 Finally tapered off Lorazepam

1/22 unsuccessful Prozac taper (skipping days)

2/22 Reinstated at 20mg daily

5/22 Switch to liquid Prozac

6/22 Begin Prozac taper of .08mg every couple weeks

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 
12/22 Begin windows and waves of depression, panic and hopelessness

6/23 Symptoms stopped worsening but are still present 

9/23 Having more good days than bad, symptoms drastically lessening

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, CookiePretzel.  Thanks for completing your signature.

Congratulations on being benzo-free and Prozac-free.  That's a real accomplishment.  It sounds like you have a very good handle on what's happening with you and are basically doing pretty well.  The wave could have been the jolt of caffeine affecting your sensitized nervous system or possibly it was hitting the three-month mark, which is a common time for withdrawal symptoms to appear.  

You're familiar with the site, but I'm going to pass on some links so you have them all in one place.  Here's some information on withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the welcome! My wave has definitely picked up today. Trying to ride it out! A lot of health anxiety and worry. I felt ok, just woke up a lot. Sometimes when my eyes are closed, I see really rapid patterns flashing through. Anyone else ever experience that? Or my thoughts go flying through my head sometimes. Not great but not too scary, just confirms the dang wave!

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 

My wave passed. It got pretty intense last night anxiety and hopelessness-wise but one intense evening out of a week long wave is progress for me! I’m just a completely different person in a window vs a wave. It’s day 41 of windows and waves. Just trying to ride it out. 

I did have a question, I am HIGHLY sensitive to caffeine now. I’ve developed a fear of chocolate and decaf coffee which I know is silly. Has anyone ever overcome their caffeine sensitivity? I completely understand this doesn’t happen overnight, but I did love a cup of coffee and how it made me feel, and even if it’s not for a few years I’d love to enjoy that again. I’ve poked around the forums and haven’t seen anyone regain this ability. 

Happy Monday!

Really struggling with anxiety today. 

can 4 months off Prozac cause high blood pressure readings?

I had a doc appt today and my BP was high. They didn’t see too concerned; they asked how I felt and I said completely fine, which was true at the time. But now I feel so incredibly anxious. I also broke my ankle a week ago, could healing a bone cause an increase in blood pressure?

Trying to ride my waves but they’re getting hard to decipher. Last month (3 months post-jump) I have very clear windows and waves, no question. This month they kind of run together. My good days are ok, I don’t feel spectacular but nothing is wrong or bothering me. And my waves are also not so crucial and soul crushing, but still unpleasant. Anyone else notice a difference in their windows and waves over time like that?

• Mentor
1 minute ago, CookiePretzel said:

I had a doc appt today and my BP was high. They didn’t see too concerned; they asked how I felt and I said completely fine, which was true at the time. But now I feel so incredibly anxious.

3 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

Really struggling with anxiety today. 

Anxiety can cause a temporary spike in BP. Do you get nervous visiting the doctor? I know I do! It's possible that if you tested your BP in a restful state at home (making sure that you're not worried about BP being high, so in a very a relaxed mindset) you might not have the same numbers you did in the Dr's office. Worth keeping an eye on, though! Best to be safe.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

Hi littlebird! Thanks for responding. Makes me feel less alone while I’m struggling. I definitely get anxious when I have my BP taken. When I had my last baby I had postpartum hypertension (high BP for 6 weeks) and ever since then despite having decent BP readings I still get worried. 

I came home and it was still high, but not as high as at my appt. I figure I’ll check again tomorrow or Friday, no use checking it 10 times today. Really hoping it’s a combination of my broken ankle and withdrawal somehow.  

How are you doing lately littlebird?

• Mentor
54 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

I came home and it was still high, but not as high as at my appt. I figure I’ll check again tomorrow or Friday, no use checking it 10 times today.

Could be because you were anxious about it being high at the appt, but definitely good to keep an eye on it.

I'm doing all right, thank you for asking! Still trying to stabilize after making a mistake with dosage, and be productive through the brain fog. Uphill climb! Hope you're on the mend soon.

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, CookiePretzel said:

can 4 months off Prozac cause high blood pressure readings?

The thing about withdrawal is that many systems are affected and can become disregulated, with cortisol being at the root of a lot of discomfort during withdrawal because it’s responsible for the regulation of a lot of processes, including blood pressures. So it wouldn’t be unusual for you to find that your blood pressure fluctuates. Breaking your ankle, a physical stressor, probably kicked it up a notch as well. since we tend to be more sensitive to stressors during withdrawal and stress shakes things up, it can take longer than it seems it should to bounce back.

Four months isn’t that long, and sometimes there is a lag between stopping and the emergence of some withdrawal symptoms, which maybe why you’re experiencing some new stuff four months in, like the blood pressure thing. This might be particularly true for Fluoxetine/Prozac because of its long half-life. 

Your sensitivity to caffeine may also be cortisol related since caffeine causes an increase cortisol.  Stress reduction and management is an important part of managing symptoms. I’m pretty terrible at it, but you’ll find a lot of info and resources related to stress reduction on this site. ☺️ I’m also terrible about limiting caffeine. I don’t know if I overcame the sensitivity to caffeine or just burst through it. It would likely do me good to cut back or cut it out. But as crazy as it might sound, I would have to take time off from work to do it because the headaches and fatigue are pretty wicked when I don’t drink it.  Basically, anticipation and fear of the headaches and fatigue kept me drinking coffee despite some sensitivity.  On the flip side, if coffee has made you intensely uncomfortable, your fear of chocolate and decaf makes a lot of sense. 

It sounds like cortisol is the worst thing ever. It’s really not, it’s just uncooperative and goes a bit rogue during withdrawal. 

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

5 hours ago, littlebird said:

Could be because you were anxious about it being high at the appt, but definitely good to keep an eye on it.

I'm doing all right, thank you for asking! Still trying to stabilize after making a mistake with dosage, and be productive through the brain fog. Uphill climb! Hope you're on the mend soon.

Definitely an uphill cling! I’m glad Yule hanging in there. I’ve made a handful of mistakes finding my footing in this weird withdrawal world. Some lessons are so hard to learn from. Keep fighting the good fight!

5 hours ago, littlebird said:

Definitely an uphill climb! I’m glad you’re hanging in there. I’ve made a handful of mistakes finding my footing in this weird withdrawal world. Some lessons are so hard to learn from. Keep fighting the good fight!

4 hours ago, Addax said:

The thing about withdrawal is that many systems are affected and can become disregulated, with cortisol being at the root of a lot of discomfort during withdrawal because it’s responsible for the regulation of a lot of processes, including blood pressures. So it wouldn’t be unusual for you to find that your blood pressure fluctuates. Breaking your ankle, a physical stressor, probably kicked it up a notch as well. since we tend to be more sensitive to stressors during withdrawal and stress shakes things up, it can take longer than it seems it should to bounce back.

Four months isn’t that long, and sometimes there is a lag between stopping and the emergence of some withdrawal symptoms, which maybe why you’re experiencing some new stuff four months in, like the blood pressure thing. This might be particularly true for Fluoxetine/Prozac because of its long half-life. 

Your sensitivity to caffeine may also be cortisol related since caffeine causes an increase cortisol.  Stress reduction and management is an important part of managing symptoms. I’m pretty terrible at it, but you’ll find a lot of info and resources related to stress reduction on this site. ☺️ I’m also terrible about limiting caffeine. I don’t know if I overcame the sensitivity to caffeine or just burst through it. It would likely do me good to cut back or cut it out. But as crazy as it might sound, I would have to take time off from work to do it because the headaches and fatigue are pretty wicked when I don’t drink it.  Basically, anticipation and fear of the headaches and fatigue kept me drinking coffee despite some sensitivity.  On the flip side, if coffee has made you intensely uncomfortable, your fear of chocolate and decaf makes a lot of sense. 

It sounds like cortisol is the worst thing ever. It’s really not, it’s just uncooperative and goes a bit rogue during withdrawal. 

Wow, this was a phenomenal responses and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your time and explanation. It truly helps me understand the symptoms or withdrawal when someone can actually explain what my body is going through and why. Everything you said absolutely makes sense! It puts my mind at ease a bit. Thank you for that. Man isn’t coffee SO good?! I don’t blame you one bit for indulging! I’m going to read your Prozac withdrawal story and maybe educate myself a bit more on cortisol. Thank you again for chatting, you made me feel less lonely this evening :)

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, CookiePretzel said:

Man isn’t coffee SO good?! I don’t blame you one bit for indulging!

It’s good stuff. No doubt. However, my aversion to what I feel like when I don’t have it sometimes has me drinking some pretty bad coffee. 😄

Cortisol is something I’ve needed to know about for reasons unrelated to withdrawal, but I first learned about it  in relation to withdrawal during the horrific experience described in my withdrawal story. Unfortunately, because my morning coffee and exercise are important to my life balance, and both raise cortisol levels, it’s something I may need to think about in terms of cost-benefit as I continue to taper. 

Because Prozac/Fluoxetine is what I’m tapper I gravitate towards threads by people who are doing the same. I saw your Prozac tag and thought I’d check in.  I’m glad what I wrote was reassuring. And don’t let my withdrawal story scare you. My taper this time has been a very different experience. 😊

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

2 hours ago, Addax said:

It’s good stuff. No doubt. However, my aversion to what I feel like when I don’t have it sometimes has me drinking some pretty bad coffee. 😄

Cortisol is something I’ve needed to know about for reasons unrelated to withdrawal, but I first learned about it  in relation to withdrawal during the horrific experience described in my withdrawal story. Unfortunately, because my morning coffee and exercise are important to my life balance, and both raise cortisol levels, it’s something I may need to think about in terms of cost-benefit as I continue to taper. 

Because Prozac/Fluoxetine is what I’m tapper I gravitate towards threads by people who are doing the same. I saw your Prozac tag and thought I’d check in.  I’m glad what I wrote was reassuring. And don’t let my withdrawal story scare you. My taper this time has been a very different experience. 😊

What a crazy experience for you and I’m so happy you are doing better this time around. I’m not a complete stranger to withdrawal as I dealt with Lorazepam withdrawal in 2021 and 2022. But SSRI withdrawal seems harder and I feel like symptoms really creep up on me and surprise me when I’m least expecting them, and at some pretty intense levels. 

I completely understand your desire to balance coffee and fitness. I’m an avid runner and cyclist and I was out on a trail run when I broke my ankle. It’s hard being sidelined, especially when I just sit and dwell on my situation. 

You had mentioned that at 4 months off it was still early in my withdrawal. That was also the case in the benzo community, even though everyone was different many people saw improvement or symptoms peak around 6-7 months, and then the intensity very slowly faded after that. Is that similar with Prozac withdrawal? When is considered not so early in healing?

How are you doing today?

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, CookiePretzel said:

You had mentioned that at 4 months off it was still early in my withdrawal. That was also the case in the benzo community, even though everyone was different many people saw improvement or symptoms peak around 6-7 months, and then the intensity very slowly faded after that. Is that similar with Prozac withdrawal? When is considered not so early in healing?

I should’ve probably said that 4 months is early in a taper, and withdrawal symptoms at 4 months after a tapering off completely is not at all unusual.  As for peaking and fading, I don’t think I have an answer about a timeline.  A very general and pretty vague answer would be that symptoms subside over time, but it’s not a linear progression, and what’s an early stage and what’s a late stage varies widely. It seems to vary so much from person to person, speed of taper, which and how many drugs someone is on or discontinuing, maybe how long they’ve been taking the drug.  Even specific to Prozac, I don’t know if there’s something close to a predictable timeline. Maybe someone who has that kind of information or knowledge will chime in here, or the info is somewhere on the site. 

How are you doing today?

A bump here and there, but I am being cautious and conservative as I taper, so the bumps are annoying when they happen, but generally, I am A-O-K. Kind of you to ask! 😊

I’m an avid runner and cyclist and I was out on a trail run when I broke my ankle. It’s hard being sidelined, especially when I just sit and dwell on my situation. 

Ugh! That is rough, for sure. For someone active like you I’m wondering if being sidelined hurts more than the broken ankle did.

Dwelling on how you’re feeling and withdrawal symptoms is one thing to try and get away from. It’s so easy to get sucked in by them and ruminate on them. Anything that draws you out of your head, try and do it.  I say that knowing that “doing” anything can sometimes feel like an overwhelming task.  

The experience of coming off SSRIs can be rough and yeah, some symptoms can feel like they came out of left field. That actually just happened to me. But I hear coming off benzodiazepines can be quite brutal, indeed, so It is great to “hear” you were able to kick the Lorazepam to the curb! That’s awesome. Good for you!  

• Mentor
22 minutes ago, Addax said:
12 hours ago, CookiePretzel said:

I’m an avid runner and cyclist and I was out on a trail run when I broke my ankle. It’s hard being sidelined, especially when I just sit and dwell on my situation. 

Ugh! That is rough, for sure. For someone active like you I’m wondering if being sidelined hurts more than the broken ankle did.

Well said @Addax, it's so hard when you're used to being active and your body can't do what it wants to! @CookiePretzel Oof, on a run? How far out on the trail were you? Hope you're quickly on the mend and able to get back out there soon.

@Addax that was nice of you to explain. It might not have been the answer I was looking for but it does make a lot of sense and out things into perspective. It’s a waiting game! Man today was horrific. I journal everything and the only thing I did that was new was I took an antihistamine called Hydroxyzine. It’s an anti anxiety though so I’m not sure. 

I’m glad you’re trucking along! It’s the best any of us can do right?

and yes Lorazepam withdrawal had me truly afraid for my life. It was terrible! Every taper was SO painful. I only used it for 12 days and then it took me 10 months to taper off! Gah! All in the past though. As I hope Prozac withdrawal will be too. 

@littlebirdit was so awful, I was a third of a mile to the closest road. A woman came jogging by with her dog in a doggy stroller and took one look at me, picked up her dog and said hop in. I thought she was joking. But I truly couldn’t walk and she got me back to the main road!

today was a hard day for me, I just wanted to say thanks for your kindness. I hope you had a good Thursday!

• Mentor
19 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

it was so awful, I was a third of a mile to the closest road. A woman came jogging by with her dog in a doggy stroller and took one look at me, picked up her dog and said hop in. I thought she was joking. But I truly couldn’t walk and she got me back to the main road!

A third of a mile on a broken ankle? Yikes!!! Bless that sweet woman, what excellent timing and thoughtfulness. So glad she came along when she did.

20 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

today was a hard day for me, I just wanted to say thanks for your kindness. I hope you had a good Thursday!

Happy to help! Today was a bit of a drag for me too, and it was nice to chat. Hope we both have excellent Fridays! 

Hey all, upon some research I believe I’m having an insane reaction to Hydroxyzine. I’m a bit scared. It was prescribed to me a while back for lorazepam withdrawal but I stopped taking it while on Prozac. Since I haven’t taken Prozac in 4.5 months I thought it would be fine. 

I took it last weekend. It let me sleepy/ groggy for 2 full days. Then I had a day or two of feeling not great but not awful. And now I’m experiencing moments of sheer panic and worry, intense anxiety, my brain feels pressure and fizzling, shortness of breath, what feels like a constant energy through my body. All my mild symptoms are in top gear- loud tinnitus, wildly sensitive hearing and touch. 

i feel convinced it’s the Hydroxyzine. Could this be? Does anyone have any insight? I tried to search but it just brought up posts of people mentioning they take it. Just desperate for my poor body to calm down, this is truly scary. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/24/2023 at 7:52 AM, CookiePretzel said:

i feel convinced it’s the Hydroxyzine. Could this be? Does anyone have any insight? I tried to search but it just brought up posts of people mentioning they take it. Just desperate for my poor body to calm down, this is truly scary. 

I am so sorry you had such a scary reaction. Withdrawal symptoms can be pretty horrific and the whole experience of withdrawal terrifying sometimes.  What you described could have been triggered by the hydroxyzine. Our brains and bodies become sensitized to all kinds of medications in withdrawal, including those that affect histamines. Even some vitamins can cause adverse reactions during withdrawal when they otherwise wouldn’t. I don’t think there’s a way to predict reactions or who will react to what, or when.  Maybe there is info about that somewhere on this site.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been off Prozac 5 months and a week. Here's what I can't figure out- am I getting worse, or do I keep having setbacks?

I was doing ok my first 3 months, then I had a cup of coffee and was thrown into my first bad wave. From there I had immediate windows and waves- the first windows were only a day long, then 3 days of waves, then a day and a half of windows etc. By 5 weeks post-coffee, I had an 8-day long window. Then I took an antihistamine and got thrown into another awful wave. I was on the mend from that when last week I tried to exercise (riding a bike for 10 min) and that led to an insane adrenaline rush followed by 3 days of intense fatigue. A couple days after that, I caught my daughter's cold which led to another wave.

I feel like I've been so unlucky- to have no setbacks for over a month and then the antihistamine, the exercise, the cold. I am trying to understand if I'm not in terrible shape, if my withdrawal isn't so bad as long as I avoid these setbacks, or if things are just getting harder as my withdrawal progresses. Is there a chance, once I recover from this virus, that I could work my way back to those week long windows? Or is that more common at 3 months off than it is at 5 months off?

I have been tracking my windows and waves and for the most part, my setbacks can define most my bad waves:

1/12 large caffeinated coffee (I didn't know!!) (3 months off)

1/13 wave

1/14 wave

1/15 bad wave

1/16 wave

1/17 window

1/18 wave

1/19 bad wave

1/20 window

1/21 window

1/22 window/ wave

1/23 wave

1/24 wave/ window

1/25 window

1/26 window

1/27 light wave

1/28 wave

1/29 wave

1/30 light wave

1/31 slight window

2/1 window

2/2 window

2/3 window

2/4 window (but irritable)

2/5 light wave

2/6 wave

2/7 wave

2/8 window

2/9 window

2/10 slight window (4 months off)

2/11 window

2/12 window

2/13 window

2/14 slight window

2/15 slight window (took Hydroxyzine)

2/16 light wave

2/17 wave

2/18 wave

2/19 wave

2/20 window

2/21 slight window

2/22 slight window/ wave

2/23 bad wave

2/24 mental window, physical wave

2/25 window

2/26 light wave/ window

2/27 light wave

2/28 window

3/1 wave

3/2 wave

3/3 window

3/4 window

3/5 window (but irritable)

3/6 wave/ window

3/7 wave

3/8 wave (rode Peloton 10 min- no resistance but brisk pace)

3/9 bad wave

3/10 wave (5 months out)

3/11 wave (mostly physical)

3/12 mental window, physical wave

3/13 window

3/14 light wave

3/15 light wave

3/16 wave

3/17 light wave

3/18 window

One final thing, I'm very thankful to the few people who took the time to respond to my last few posts. I apologize that I stopped responding to you, it wasn't personal at all I just felt overwhelmed. Thank you for your kindness everyone.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

am I getting worse, or do I keep having setbacks?

Setbacks.  Totally normal.  You're obviously at a stage where you're very sensitive.  The coffee, the illness, the too-intense exercise are all known stressors that can cause a wave.  Now you know so you can avoid them.  

12 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

if my withdrawal isn't so bad as long as I avoid these setbacks, or if things are just getting harder as my withdrawal progresses.

The former.

13 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

Is there a chance, once I recover from this virus, that I could work my way back to those week long windows?

For sure.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley thank you for the thoughtful response! It gives me a lot of hope. I was just reading your introduction, you’ve been on quite the journey yourself! How are you doing these days?

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, CookiePretzel said:

How are you doing these days?

Well, I'm chugging along.  I get a really nice window every so often and for a day life blooms inside me and outside in peace and joy.  Then I get some pretty bad days when I'm just crawling from moment to moment.  And mostly it's in between.  I don't post about myself much.  I've got a lot of protracted symptoms from my first too-fast (and still unfinished) taper of Imipramine, and the current benzo taper is a whole other animal in terms of symptoms.  I did the intervening Lexapro taper slowly over four years and it was rough at times but I don't think I've got much protracted withdrawal from it.  When you've  tapered or are tapering three drugs it's hard to say what's causing what. But I'm making it.  This site has been a life-saver; I was on a lot of psych drugs and don't want to think of my fate had I not come upon it.  

Thanks for asking.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

5.5 months off Prozac. It's been ok-ish as long as I don't rock the boat. My setback from having a cold wasn't too bad and my windows have returned, and the waves haven't been as detrimental. A couple of those window days have been incredibly wonderful actually, I just felt amazing. My sleep is a bit jacked up but I know I shouldn't complain. I can usually fall asleep ok, then sleep for 4-6 hours with a wakeup 30-45 minutes after falling asleep. Always. What is that?! I can go back to bed quickly after but it's odd. Once I'm up after 4-6 hours it feels like very light sleep for another 1-1.5 hours.

I did overdo it this past Saturday. My boot camp group ran a half marathon and I was on my feet for 3 hours cheering, yelling and running people's jackets and keys to and from my car. After that my daughter had summer camp signups which was basically chasing her around a gymnasium packed with inflatables. Saturday evening after all that, I felt totally fine. I even felt ok Sunday morning, but as yesterday went on I felt worse and hopeless. I got a bit of relief around 8pm, slept 6 hours, then woke up to a cortisol rush with the sweats and anxiety. I managed to calm down and rest another hour, and now I actually feel ok mentally but physically I'm lagging.

I'd love some advice- I have a work trip to San Antonio in a month. I'm concerned about a couple aspects- my travel day and some outings with colleagues. What is the best way to prepare for this 4 day trip? Should I take it completely easy and not do more than I need to the next month? Rest rest rest? Or should I get some very slow walks in daily and somewhat "train" for the trip? I'm worried walking through the airports will be too taxing and I'll feel miserable the rest of the trip.

• Moderator Emeritus
25 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

Or should I get some very slow walks in daily and somewhat "train" for the trip? I'm worried walking through the airports will be too taxing and I'll feel miserable the rest of the trip.

This seems to me to be the best idea.  If you take it very slow you won't be taxing yourself but will still be in shape for the trip.  I think the daily gentle exercise will be good in general for you.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

@Gridley thank you for your input! I think I will do that. Try to build up some confidence. 

I had one more question if you have the time, when I have these days where I overdo things, is it truly a setback where it’s detrimental to my healing? Or is it just a blip where I’ll soon move on in a day or two and actually improve because of testing the waters of what I’m capable of? Like when you go to physical therapy, it’s painful to work the injury but ultimately there’s improvement; is having long days out of the home physical therapy for us or just not helpful for healing? I’m sorry if that doesn’t make sense!

thanks again for responding, I hope you’re well today Gridley :D

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, CookiePretzel said:

when I have these days where I overdo things, is it truly a setback where it’s detrimental to my healing? Or is it just a blip where I’ll soon move on in a day or two

I can't predict exactly.  I'd hope just a blip than a serious setback.  I wouldn't say that overdoing or "pushing the envelope" is advisable or that it's like the "good hurt" of physical therapy.  When I suggested your option of very slow walks, it was only slow walks.   We really do have to take it easy and remember that we're healing, which is easy to forget when in a window.  Healing is a gradual process and taking it slowly wins the race.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

@Gridley that’s very practical and makes a lot of sense. I went for a 5 minute walk with my treadmill set to 1.7MPH. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but it wasn’t hard at all! Now to rest. 

I’m going crazy with my setbacks. I just keep accidentally putting myself in terrible waves. 

1/10 caffeinated coffee

2/15 antihistamine 

3/8 workout overexertion

3/13 viral cold

3/25 overdid it cheering at a race/ taking my girls to the park

3/30 learned I’m apparently hypersensitive to orgasms

I’m just afraid to leave my bed at this point. I don’t understand how I can ever move forward when almost every week lately something trips me up. Even last week when I resigned myself to spending a lot of my free time on the couch, I still gave myself an awful wave with the orgasm. I just can’t win and don’t know how to not have a setback. I was so hopeful to see some progress around the 6 month mark since I was having windows since the beginning, but I’ll hit 6 months off in a week and things seem to be at a standstill with these setbacks. 

Hi @CookiePretzel. I'm really sorry you are suffering so many setbacks. I definitely went thru  all of this instability during my dark period (2-3 years) of frequent windows/waves. Sometimes there was an obvious trigger, other times it seemed inexplicable. I wish I could give you some practical advice, but I definitely commiserate and suffer with you. I am dealing with my first major flare-up (5 days now of akathisia) after having thought I turned the corner about a year ago. It is devastating and gruelingly difficult. 

Even though I'm dealing with these brutal neuroemotions at the moment, and can barely stand the uncertainty of when this wave will end (I even have to stop myself from saying if), from my extensive reading, research, and own experience, everyone seems to heal a great deal, and most people completely heal.

I'll add that as I progressed in my healing, I became less sensitive to many of the things  you mention. There were many times where even an orgasm would throw me into darkness too. Or exercise. Or maybe alcohol, which I had to give up for a year and a half. Or so many other seemingly ridiculously minor things. I had to give up my love for intense exercise, but over the last three years I've increased my walking from < 2,000 to 5,000 to 7,000 steps a day. Amongst other glacially slow improvements. Healing and building strength.

Even  though I can't see  out  of my  own wave (ha), if I was putting  money on it I  would bet that you will improve. And I will say the fact that you've had so many intermittent windows and light waves is a very  hopeful sign. Thinking of you. Best. 

2004-2011: EfX XR 75mg, Klonopin 0.25mg PRN 

2011- late 2015: Varying cocktail: Ritalin, EfX, Klonopin, Lamictal

late 2015-Feb 2018: 8-month taper off of everything but EfX 37.5mg, and started Wellbutrin SR 100mg (discontinued Aug 2017)

Feb 2018-Apr 2018: 45day Xtaper EfX 37.5mg w/ Zoloft 25mg. 2 weeks post taper developed akathisia & severe insomnia 

Apr 2018-May 2018: Reinstated both EfX 24 mg and Klonopin 0.25-0.5mg/night, and 2-week taper off of Zoloft

May 2018-April 2018: Efx XR 24 mg with taper; Klonopin 0.125mg (PRN)

April 2019 - December 2019 EfX XR 15 mg; Konopin 0.125mg 1-3x/month

(Sep 2019 - Rifaximin for SIBO. CT-like response. Worsened gut symptoms. Major setback that hasn't resolved as of Dec 2020)

4 Years Benzo Free and Held EfX XR at 15 mg 

Titrated up 5 beads (~2 mg) EfX XR since Aug 2022-March 2023. Dropped 1 bead April 2023 and holding.  

Hi @Audo! Thank you for taking the time to respond. This past Saturday I was in a very bad place when I wrote that. I try so hard to only come on these forums 1-2 times a month, and not when I’m feeling like the sky is falling, because I also know deep down that the feeling will pass. 

Since my bad wave Saturday post-orgasm, I had a slight window Sunday and a great window Monday (yesterday). I have also been taking it extremely easy- I’m sitting/ resting any chance I get, not picking up my kids, not walking quickly etc. This is fine and manageable, but I can’t live like this forever. My husband is doing everything- cooking, cleaning, driving, caring for kids. I’m sure once I get longer windows, I’ll attempt to do more, but for now it’s hard to picture taking my tasks back on and not having it be detrimental to my health. But hopefully this mellow lifestyle will keep the really bad waves away! I hope you’re also doing well these days!

6 months Prozac free today. 

I honestly can’t say if there has been any progress or not because it would seem I’m now suffering from adrenal fatigue. I have all the symptoms- trouble sleeping, fatigue, no appetite, blood sugar crashes, exercise intolerance, hair loss, muscle tension, elevated HR doing simple tasks, errands or chores for too long leave me bedridden. And of course anxiety and depression. 

I just feel like I can’t catch a break. I’m in bed most the time now, trying to work my way through this adrenal fatigue situation. Has anyone experienced this? I’m curious if I’m still healing from Prozac withdrawal alongside these adrenal issues, or if this is a big giant speed bump that will massively delay my healing?

I’m trying my hardest to stay positive. I’m trying so hard. I’m a mom to a 2 and 4 year old and my husband is doing all the parenting plus his job. He’s amazing. I just want to participate in life again. Now that I’m basically on bed rest all I do is think about my situation. I really thought I might see some progress by 6 months. 

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying spring. 

I’m actively getting worse and worse. 6 months off, and a week ago I was running errands with my kids and cooking. But now everything is setting me back and I’ve been bedridden for 4 days. And I don’t believe it’s helping. I’ve always been able to fall asleep pretty quick, even if I wake up multiple times in the night. Last night it took hours, and if I did fall asleep it was for a few light minutes and I awoke with a hot flash and increased heart rate. I can’t easily explain to people why I don’t leave the house. My in laws are here helping but only for a couple more days. 

Eating is next to impossible and I dread when I get hungry. It’s a tad easier later in the day though. I feel especially bad 8am-noon and 4-7/8pm. Someone help. 

Can I get anyone’s opinion? My symptoms of crashing from exercise intolerance align with

SSRI withdrawal

Adrenal Fatigue

Covid PEM (post exertion malaise)

I had Covid last October, coincidentally a week or two after my last dose of Prozac. 

I'm just trying to focus which of these conditions I may have (in addition to SSRI withdrawal). I’m very concerned about the Covid PEM because it seems like that could be extremely detrimental health wise. 

my symptoms are 

cortisol surges from sleep (usually with a hot flash)

frequently hungry but food doesn’t sound good at all

blood sugar issues

muscle tension

frequent urination

itchy skin

Anxiety and depression

some fatigue 

Insomnia/ trouble staying asleep

occasional vision problems

shaky arms and jelly legs

when I overexert myself (which is becoming easier to do each week), it takes 12-24 hours to hit me and then I feel absolutely awful. 

please, I just want someone to respond to me because I feel crazy and no one in my every day life understands.