HI everyone,

I am so glad i have found this forum, After 10 years of being on Sertraline 200mg a day, and Gabapentin 900mg a day for 7 years i am well in the throws of withdrawal , this has been the hardest thing i have ever had to go through , i was missed diagnosed 10 years ago and actually now realize that there was actually nothing  medically wrong with me , i just needed a bit of support and understanding but instead was put on medication, i am going through hell with these horrendous withdrawal symptoms, head zaps ,sickness, diarrhoea, hot sweats, fatigue, ear ache, painful mouth, headaches, severe mood swings, headaches, depression, dizziness, the list goes on , this now is just over a month it is wearing me down , sometimes i feel and see how far i have come but then  3 hrs later i seem to be back where i was, its hard to dig deep when there is no one around you that knows what your going through or what you feel ,will i ever be back to how i should be ??    

Sertraline from March 2013 to May 2023  200mg per day started reducing April 2023 every other week by 25mg 

First pill free day 25th May 2023

Gabapentin  from 2020 to 2023  900mg per day  reduced 100mg per week from April 2023  May 2023 first month free 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Lipsticklou:HI
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Lipsticklou

When did you take your last pill of each drug and how did you taper?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have been pill free since the 25th May 2023 , I have reduced by 25mg every other week as instructed by my doctor,  it has been the most horrendous experience in my life and even though we are now in July I am still suffering with certain withdrawal is this normal and how long will this go on for ?

Sertraline from March 2013 to May 2023  200mg per day started reducing April 2023 every other week by 25mg 

Gabapentin  from 2020 to 2023  900mg per day  reduced 100mg per week from April 2023  May 2023 first month free 

• Administrator

Hello, @Lipsticklou

Withdrawal symptoms result from tapering too quickly. They are normal only in that they are common because doctors don't know anything about tapering. Doctors presume that withdrawal symptoms are mild and last only a few weeks, but clearly this is not what has happened to you.

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 2 weeks?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi yes it has I spent 2 1/2 weeks in bed with severe symptoms, sickness horrendous brain zaps vision was disturbed diarrhoea,  now I am left with moods swings digestion problems , bad tummy ,but there is obviously a vast improvement as I'm able to function alot better as in everyday routine with my children 

• Administrator

I am sorry you had those weeks of severe acute withdrawal syndrome.

You probably went off 2 drugs too quickly. If you've seen significant improvement in only 2 months, you might recover naturally. You'll need to be patient, this is likely to be slow. See

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

Please let us know how you're doing. 

Thank you so much I will try those suggestions I need to manage the withdrawal that I am experiencing now ,thank god I found this site it helps to know I am not on my own ! I have recently had a terrible argument with my mother who has no idea what I'm going through and at 85 years old has her own issues with an ageing brain ,this seems to have impacted on my recovery and I have spent the last 3 days feeling very unwell but I'm guessing my brain can not cope with additional pressure at the moment?

• Administrator

You might be very sensitive to emotional upset. Please avoid it if possible. You might assure your mother that you don't feel well but you're going to cope with it.

Thank you very much for your help I will update with regards to the supplements you have recommended which I have started today 😀 

Hi thought I'd share sine exciting news I have been taking omega 3 fish oil since Monday and vitamin E since Tuesday and now its Friday and the difference in my general feelings in my head is amazing, I am still suffering with mild brain zaps and a weird sensation like my brain is turning completely over but certainly not as bad as they were which is amazing ! I am starting on the magnesium tomorrow so watch this space! 

I have also been trying to find some advice on weight gain caused by sertraline,  I have over the 10year period of being on them put on over 3 stone which for a small person like me is excessive, I am hoping that now I'm off the drugs I will lose some weight but just recently I seem to have got bigger and feel bloated which worries me alot , is this normal ? Will I eventually lose this weight ? Anyone else had this problem?

Hi anyone got any suggestions on sickness, mine seems to be really bad again , it was improving but last couple of nights it's been horrendous again to the point of having to go to bed with fans on ,as the cold helps for some reason ,I'm struggling with food as well.it either gives me upset tummy or raging indigestion this all seemed to have settled down but as bad as ever again, just when I thought I'd turned a massive corner 😞

My mom doesn't understand WD either, but psychiatrists don't either
 I'm glad my mom is close. Regards PS I took only 6 months of escitalopram and I also have WD

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

Hi @Lipsticklou, I've merged your post from the Symptoms forum here. Please search for existing threads before you start one - there is one on the topic of nausea and physical symptoms

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• 6 months later...

Hi after coming off Sertraline last year after a very slow tapering off which was over seen by my new GP I find myself now really struggling with Depression which is something I've never had a problem with in fact that was not the reason I was put on the drug in 2013.

I am finding it really hard to cope with the highs and the more so lows, has anyone else struggled with this? my actual withdrawal was horrendous and my GP told me I has a severe withdrawal very much like someone who had withdrawn Heroin so I'm hoping its just my brain trying to find its level, any advice  ??? 

• Administrator

Welcome back @Lipsticklou,

I've moved your new post back to your own thread. It is best to keep everything relating to yourself in one spot. It makes it easier for those trying to assist and for others who may read about your journey.

Sorry to hear you have been doing it tough. Stopping ADs CT can take quite a while to stabilise from.

Have you seen the following list of possible WD symptoms? Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

People experiencing WD symptoms often say things like you said, "I've never had a problem before", or, "This feels different to my previous symptoms".

9 hours ago, Lipsticklou said:

I find myself now really struggling with Depression which is something I've never had a problem with in fact that was not the reason I was put on the drug in 2013.

I note that symptoms that mimic depression are the first symptoms on the checklist. Have a read of the list. Can you relate to what you read? It's not at all uncommon to experience WD symptoms 9 months after a CT.

Have you read these links before:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Can you identify these windows and waves in your life over the past ~9 months?

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Are you still taking your magnesium and fish oil?

Are you drinking alcohol at all?

10 hours ago, Lipsticklou said:

I'm hoping its just my brain trying to find its level,

What you describe and the timeline suggests this is the case. It takes time and patience to stabilise from a CT. Have you noticed any improvement with any symptoms over the past 9 months?

Does gentle exercise help you? It does wonders for me, but others don't find it beneficial. Moderation is key.

I'd encourage you to read some of the success stories. I find they give me a real boost when I need it.

Hope this helps.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Start of taper: Jan ’22 Vortioxetine 15mg, 

End year 1: 4.5mg, 

End year 2: 2.38mg, 

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

8 hours ago, Emonda said:

Welcome back @Lipsticklou,

I've moved your new post back to your own thread. It is best to keep everything relating to yourself in one spot. It makes it easier for those trying to assist and for others who may read about your journey.

Sorry to hear you have been doing it tough. Stopping ADs CT can take quite a while to stabilise from.

Have you seen the following list of possible WD symptoms? 

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

People experiencing WD symptoms often say things like you said, "I've never had a problem before", or, "This feels different to my previous symptoms".

I note that symptoms that mimic depression are the first symptoms on the checklist. Have a read of the list. Can you relate to what you read? It's not at all uncommon to experience WD symptoms 9 months after a CT.

Have you read these links before:

Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Can you identify these windows and waves in your life over the past ~9 months?

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

Are you still taking your magnesium and fish oil?

Are you drinking alcohol at all?

What you describe and the timeline suggests this is the case. It takes time and patience to stabilise from a CT. Have you noticed any improvement with any symptoms over the past 9 months?

Does gentle exercise help you? It does wonders for me, but others don't find it beneficial. Moderation is key.

I'd encourage you to read some of the success stories. I find they give me a real boost when I need it.

Hope this helps.

Emonda

Hi Emonda,

Thank you so much for replying to my post,

I have certainly improved since last year and yes it comes in waves, just when I think I have made it I have a really bad  spell it seems to be totally uncontrollable, I do not have the anger so bad anymore even though I can be wound up very quickly which isn't me at all ,I always found the funny side of everything I don't  seem to be like that anymore which I find distressing , I am very tearful at times for no reason and that comes in waves too.

I suppose I am expecting too much but like everyone I just want to feel myself again what ever that is .

I do not drink alcohol and I was taking the fish oil tablets but had trouble with really bad vertigo and thought it might be a side effect of the tablet, but maybe not and I have not taken them since, maybe I should try them again?

I have read a number of links you have sent me and they are very interesting and everything regarding the waves is so what I am feeling and it has reassured me that I am not going mad after all ,it seems it is four steps forward and 5 back ,every time these waves come along maybe I am focusing too much on them and it make me feel down, the building of the waves have got shorter it used to build up over time until it was really bad now it seems to be on me before I know it , when I feel them building I fill with dread,  the check list also I can relate to so much , most of the things on the  list I have suffered with and that in itself reassures me  that I am progressing forward and getting better, if I didn't get these terrible low times it would not be so bad but it makes me feel like I am losing control  and losing my mind, certainly talking to you guys that have experience of what this is like is such a help as most people do not have any understanding.

Can you recap me on the best type of fish oil and the quantities roughly to take 

regards

lipsticklou x 

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Lipsticklou said:

I suppose I am expecting too much but like everyone I just want to feel myself again what ever that is .

I have read a number of links you have sent me and they are very interesting and everything regarding the waves is so what I am feeling and it has reassured me that I am not going mad after all ,it seems it is four steps forward and 5 back ,every time these waves come along

I hear you. Time and patience are key on this journey.

I was taking the fish oil tablets but had trouble with really bad vertigo and thought it might be a side effect of the tablet, but maybe not and I have not taken them since, maybe I should try them again?

If you do try again, just start with a low dose and see how you go.

the check list also I can relate to so much , most of the things on the  list I have suffered with and that in itself reassures me  that I am progressing forward and getting better,

Glad you found it reassuring

Can you recap me on the best type of fish oil and the quantities roughly to take 

I'm not familiar with the brands on England, but have a read of the link regarding amounts.

Wishing you well.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

Year 3: 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg, 29 Feb 2.15mg, 7 Mar 2.10mg, 14 Mar 2.06mg, 21 Mar 1.99mg, 10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May 1.83mg,

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 9:19 AM, Emonda said:

I hear you. Time and patience are key on this journey.

If you do try again, just start with a low dose and see how you go.

Glad you found it reassuring

I'm not familiar with the brands on England, but have a read of the link regarding amounts.

Wishing you well.

Emonda thank you so much as always what would I do without this group!

I do have another question ,since I have been off medication I have suffered with spells of upset stomach it doesn't seem to be a particular food just anything ,anything you have experienced??

• Administrator

I note that stomach issues are on the WD symptoms checklist. Have another read of the list. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what it was.

• Administrator

Hi @Lipsticklou

If you have a question, please post it here rather than e-mail us offline.

If a link you clicked on isn't working, please post it here too, so others have the opportunity to respond...we are a very small team.

Regards, Emonda 

20 minutes ago, Emonda said:

Hi @Lipsticklou

If a link you clicked on isn't working, please post it here too, so others have the opportunity to respond...we are a very small team.

Regards, Emonda 

20 minutes ago, Emonda said:

Hi @Lipsticklou

Regards, Emonda 

OK thanks