pwanzo: Pristiq and lexapro withdrawal

pwanzo

Iv been off pristiq for 3 weeks.  Was on 25 mg for 3 months.  Prior to that I switched from lexapro 15 mg I was in for 2 years.  I am having withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, depression, Brian zaps, and just feeling off.  I did a taper off pristiq of 25 mg every other day for a week then stopped.  My  NP recommended  that I could take Prozac 10mg for 2 weeks to lessen withdrawal.  Thoughts? experience? Please help! I don’t want to take pristiq anymore because I was already on the lowest dose 

Edited by manymoretodays
name to topic title

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I stopped taking lexapro because I began having panic attacks while on it still.  so my dr switched me to Zoloft.  Was on that for a few weeks along with buspar 15mg 3 x a day and ended up at the hospital for 8 days from sever panic and horrible migraines.  They put me back on lexapro and i was still struggling.  My provider wanted to switch the class entirely due to the situation I was in.  So she moved me to pristiq and took me off the buspar because of severe brain fog.  After coming off buspar I began to feel good again and was just soo sick and tired of all of the different meds being thrown at me I just wanted off of everything because I didn’t know what was causing what.  

End of May beginning of june 2023 took pristiq 25 mg every other day for a week then stopped.  Med free since June 5th.  

Off pristiq 5 weeks was having horrible depression nausea, and brain zaps.  Reinstated Effexor XR 7/7/23 10 beads out of 37.5 capsule

• manymoretodays changed the title to pwanzo: Pristiq and lexapro withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, @pwanzo

Skipping doses to taper is a good way to trigger withdrawal symptoms.

Reinstatement of the original drug is known to reduce withdrawal symptoms, but Pristiq comes in dosages too large to taper. Rather than Prozac, an unrelated drug, you might consider taking perhaps 10 beads out of Pristiq's sibling, Effexor XR. 

This topic explains how to open a capsule to count out beads. Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

We suggest low-dose reinstatement because often that's all you need. After trying a small amount for perhaps 2 weeks, you could increase it if that seems right. You'd stabilize for a while and taper of bead by bead later.

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for the reply.  I stopped taking the meds due to horrible migraines and brain fog daily.  I’m having with drawal with waves of depression and tolerable brain zaps.  Would I benefit to try and ride it out? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I stopped taking lexapro because I began having panic attacks while on it still.  so my dr switched me to Zoloft.  Was on that for a few weeks along with buspar 15mg 3 x a day and ended up at the hospital for 8 days from sever panic and horrible migraines.  They put me back on lexapro and i was still struggling.  My provider wanted to switch the class entirely due to the situation I was in.  So she moved me to pristiq and took me off the buspar because of severe brain fog.  After coming off buspar I began to feel good again and was just soo sick and tired of all of the different meds being thrown at me I just wanted off of everything because I didn’t know what was causing what.  

End of May beginning of june 2023 took pristiq 25 mg every other day for a week then stopped.  Med free since June 5th.  

Off pristiq 5 weeks was having horrible depression nausea, and brain zaps.  Reinstated Effexor XR 7/7/23 10 beads out of 37.5 capsule

• Administrator

@pwanzo It sounds like the dosage was too strong for you and caused the adverse effect of migraines and brain fog. It is unlikely a tiny dose will have the same adverse effects. Please read the links I gave you.

It's your choice whether you want to cope with symptoms while you very slowly recover, which probably will be over some number of months.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for the response.  I mentioned it to my NP and hopefully she will write me a script for Effexor XR shortly.  It’s the weekend and holiday coming up so hopefully can get it soon.   I do have the Prozac I haven’t taken yet, would it be worth trying that until I get the Effexor? Or just wait until I can get the script.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

Good to hear. She could phone it in. I would not throw Prozac into the mix.

Is 5 weeks too late to reinstate Effexor after stopping pristiq? I just got my Effexor ER 37.5 mg.  I took out 10 beads per your recommendation and am going to take that for 2 weeks.  After that do I I slowly come down from there? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

Also was I supposed to take the 10 beads as a dose? Or take the 10 beads out and then take what’s left.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

@pwanzowhen doing a reinstatement a little goes a long way. You would just take the 10 beads. Please read the link on tips for tapering off effexor. Journal the time you take the drug, how you feel before and after. Also any side effects. If your symptoms worsen you can stop taking the drug but it usually takes a few days to weeks to feel any improvements.

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

Thanks for the reply.  So I accidentally did the wrong way today and took 10 beads out, discarded, then took the rest. It’s only been 1 dose  Sooo tomorrow I should I drop to 10 beads and stay there? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

@pwanzoyes just take the 10 beads...I am not familiar with Effexor so please read the link @Altostratagave you. I know from reading others' experiences even beads differ in size and therefore drug so read up on it on here. Don't discard beads...you can use them. They last well beyond expiry dates and it is good to have a supply on hand. It is important to take your dose at the same time daily. Also avoid anything that can upset the central nervous system such as caffeine, alcohol, CBD, artificial sweeteners. Check out self care and supplements on the site as well.👍

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

Ok will do thank you! 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

How did you feel after you took most of the capsule?

I felt anxious, but this morning my mood was a little better and zaps have lessened.  Today I took the 10 beads and planning on staying on that for 2 weeks and see how I feel.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I really don’t want to go up more unless I absolutely have to because I would rather taper from a very small dose after reinstating 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

So after reinstating I have been waking up in the middle of the night with extreme anxiety and panic.  Should I continue to take to low dose or stop? Wasn’t having this before reinstatement.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

What times o'clock do you take your drugs? What time o'clock does this waking occur?

Take my drugs at 5 pm because the pristiq made me really tired.  Iv been waking up at 1230 am with horrible anxiety and trouble falling back asleep.   

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

So I’m unsure if it’s the meds or part of still being in withdrawal 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, pwanzo said:

So after reinstating I have been waking up in the middle of the night with extreme anxiety and panic.  Should I continue to take to low dose or stop? Wasn’t having this before reinstatement.  

If this is something new since you started 10 beads of Effexor XR, it's probably the Effexor XR. Suggest you gradually move your dose earlier by an hour each day until you're taking it at 5 p.m. Let's see if this symptom travels with the dose.

I’m sorry I think there was a typo on your end.  I’m currently taking it at 5pm so what time am I looking to get to? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

Also, my mood seems like it had gotten a little better and the weird zap like feelings i was having seemed to lessen,  but my physical symptoms have seemed to increase.  Like really weak feeling legs, burning in legs,  and strange upper arm sensations.  Almost like restless legs but in my arms.  Kinda hard to explain but it’s weird. And of course increased anxiety.  So I’m wondering if it’s beneficial to even continue taking the Effexor or if you think it would be safe to just try and stop.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

So today has been pretty bad,  on the verge of a panic attack basically all day.  Not sure if I should continue or wait to try and balance out.  However, I am currently struggling.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator
18 hours ago, pwanzo said:

Also, my mood seems like it had gotten a little better and the weird zap like feelings i was having seemed to lessen,  but my physical symptoms have seemed to increase.  Like really weak feeling legs, burning in legs,  and strange upper arm sensations.  Almost like restless legs but in my arms.  Kinda hard to explain but it’s weird. And of course increased anxiety.  So I’m wondering if it’s beneficial to even continue taking the Effexor or if you think it would be safe to just try and stop.  

What time o'clock does this symptom occur? Is it better or worse after you take Effexor?

Do you still have that surge of anxiety at night? If so, I meant gradually move your dose to noon.

Last night began having symptoms around 4 o’clock pm before taking Effexor at 4:30 pm.  Slept through the night and felt ok this morning while at church at then basically had a panic attack 11 am this morning.   So  it’s hard to say.  I should also mention I do have low dose Xanax for panic but I do not like taking it.  However, today I had to and it’s the first time Iv had panic like this in a while.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

Random surges of panic are characteristic of withdrawal syndrome. If Effexor is not interferring with your sleep, you might keep it at 4:30, there's no reason to move it.

Ok so I will keep the 10 beads of Effexor to meet the 2 week mark.  Do you think I’m still in withdrawal and the Effexor hasn’t built up yet?  After the 2 weeks I then can start to come down slowly from there? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

Withdrawal syndrome can last for months, and you have severe withdrawal from going off Pristiq.

@pwanzoyes you are in withdrawal and it can take months to stabilize. You will have to wait more than 2 weeks before tapering. I have been waiting 7 months for the WD symptoms to become manageable. Please read thoroughly the links that Altostrata provided on stabilizing, tapering, etc. The more you familiarize yourself with the site and read what applies to your situation, the better you will do. 👍

So isn’t the Effexor supposed to reverse this? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

@pwanzothese drugs are very powerful and there is no easy fix. The effexor will lessen and stop some withdrawal symptoms but your central nervous system has been now sensitized due to coming off pristiq cold turkey. You have been on ADs for a couple years. All that time your body was modifying gradually and now it has to undo all the modifications very quickly. The reinstatement helps your body with the shock of CT. This takes time. Being patient and accepting of the process will help you. Be kind to yourself. Since this site is run by volunteers, the more you read on here the better. Many of the moderators are in withdrawal themselves, working jobs, dealing with heal issues so sometimes it may take awhile to get a response. 

Understandable. Thank you so much and I really appreciate all that everyone does on here.  My provider didn’t know any better and unfortunately neither did I.  So now I will Begin the healing process and hopefully get out of this soon.  Thank you for the responses.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

@pwanzowe are all in the same situation. It definitely helps to have each other's support. 💯

• Administrator
20 hours ago, pwanzo said:

So isn’t the Effexor supposed to reverse this? 

Have you felt any other effect from Effexor?

@pwanzohelp Alto with daily notes. What symptoms and what times. What time you take the drug and any supplements, how you feel before and after.

Slept through the night.  
5am woke up anxious. 
530 am took magnesium d3 and omega 3
No appetite throughout the day 

Noon-extreme anxiety feeling off and spacey

had to make my self eat lunch 

1pm headaches

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg