pwanzo: Pristiq and lexapro withdrawal

pwanzo

Just awful.  This one was recommended by my therapist who is a huge advocate for getting me better.  So hopefully that will make a difference 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I stopped taking lexapro because I began having panic attacks while on it still.  so my dr switched me to Zoloft.  Was on that for a few weeks along with buspar 15mg 3 x a day and ended up at the hospital for 8 days from sever panic and horrible migraines.  They put me back on lexapro and i was still struggling.  My provider wanted to switch the class entirely due to the situation I was in.  So she moved me to pristiq and took me off the buspar because of severe brain fog.  After coming off buspar I began to feel good again and was just soo sick and tired of all of the different meds being thrown at me I just wanted off of everything because I didn’t know what was causing what.  

End of May beginning of june 2023 took pristiq 25 mg every other day for a week then stopped.  Med free since June 5th.  

Off pristiq 5 weeks was having horrible depression nausea, and brain zaps.  Reinstated Effexor XR 7/7/23 10 beads out of 37.5 capsule

7/20/2023

6:00am- wake up. Headache, anxiety, groggy 

7:00am-breakfast D3, magnesium threonate 

8:00am-can feel a nerve in my Calf fluttering.   

9:00-2mile walk 

10am-1200pm- felt a little better 

1:00pm-extreme anxiety pain in left arm muscle .  Almost like a Charlie horse feeling. Burning in right leg.  

4:30pm-Effexor 12 beads.  0.023 on the digital scale.  

8:00pm-bed time 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I stopped taking lexapro because I began having panic attacks while on it still.  so my dr switched me to Zoloft.  Was on that for a few weeks along with buspar 15mg 3 x a day and ended up at the hospital for 8 days from sever panic and horrible migraines.  They put me back on lexapro and i was still struggling.  My provider wanted to switch the class entirely due to the situation I was in.  So she moved me to pristiq and took me off the buspar because of severe brain fog.  After coming off buspar I began to feel good again and was just soo sick and tired of all of the different meds being thrown at me I just wanted off of everything because I didn’t know what was causing what.  

End of May beginning of june 2023 took pristiq 25 mg every other day for a week then stopped.  Med free since June 5th.  

Off pristiq 5 weeks was having horrible depression nausea, and brain zaps.  Reinstated Effexor XR 7/7/23 10 beads out of 37.5 capsule

Great notes @pwanzo. Have you tried to add a good omega 3 with DHA and EPA? How many mg is your magnesium? If it is just 200 mg you could try to take another at 1 pm to help with afternoon anxiety. 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

Some days I take the magnesium 3 times a day.  Today I haven’t been taken any because I want to see how I feel a full day without it and track my symptoms.  The only magnesium I have been able to tolerate is threonate.  Glycinate and a few others have all made me feel way to activated Even at very small doses.  I do take omega 3 with dha and epa.  1000mg.  Not sure what it’s supposed to do but I did read it can be beneficial lol.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

Lol...it is supposed to help with brain fog and nerve healing. Magnesium has been proven to help with anxiety and migraines. If the type you use works that is great. I know if others that use magnesium threonate with great success.

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

• Administrator

@pwanzo do you feel better or worse after taking Effexor in the afternoon?

If I were you, I wouldn't discuss details or argue with your prescriber, just say you're doing okay with your current prescription. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I usually feel ok in the evenings after taking at 4:30.  It’s the morning and afternoons that are the worst

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator
On 7/23/2023 at 2:21 PM, pwanzo said:

I usually feel ok in the evenings after taking at 4:30.  It’s the morning and afternoons that are the worst

How has this changed since you increased to 12 beads?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

First couple days were really rough with the 12 beads. Like scary awful.    I think I’m coming around and am going to stay here for a while before I even attempt to come down.  I don’t think going up at this point is beneficial.  My burning sensations have went away for the most part and  My mood seems to better for the time being.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator
19 hours ago, pwanzo said:

First couple days were really rough with the 12 beads. Like scary awful.

How did your symptoms change after you increased to 12 beads?

Anxiety went way up, leg burning increased and had fluttering nerve in calf.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, pwanzo said:

Anxiety went way up, leg burning increased and had fluttering nerve in calf.  

Did this go away?

It seemed to have went away.  Today has been awful anxiety.  Panicky basically all day 

7/31/2023

4:30am-wake up with anxiety, slept most of 7 hours.

6:00am-breakfast 

9:000am-dr appointment non related to current situation.  Heightened anxiety 

1:00pm-2 mile walk outdoors, light headed feeling.  Extreme anxiety.  Racing thoughts.  Nervousness feeling.  

2:00pm- Magnesium threonate.  More anxiety.   Lunch.  Feeling “off” 

2:40pm-headache, anxiety.  

4:30pm- 0.023g Effexor.  Approx 12 beads.  

4:30pm-feeling very sad, horrible headache, anxiety through the roof verge of panic.  Nauseous.  

4:40pm-vomiting 

5:40pm-anxiety, leg pain 

8:00pm-bed

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, pwanzo said:

4:30pm-feeling very sad, horrible headache, anxiety through the roof verge of panic.  Nauseous.  

4:40pm-vomiting 

How often does this happen?

So the nausea vomiting only happened yesterday for the first time.  The anxiety happens often 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

How are you taking the Effexor beads?

Opening the capsule dumping all the beads out into a container,   then putting .023g (approx 12 beads) which I weigh with a jewelers scale back into the capsule.  Close the capsule and swallow with water.  Will stay with this method until I’m ready to come down.  Then when ready, will subtract 10% from 0.023g and do that for a month before my next 10% reduction.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I usually take with a snack or food.  Haven’t done on empty stomach I don’t think.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

Be sure to wash your dose down with plenty of water.

Ok, does everything else seem like a good plan? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

Please post more daily notes.

8/2/2023

6:00am-woke up feeling ok slept through the night

7:00am-breakfast, vitamin D3 

8:00am-2mile run out doors 

1:00pm-feeling off anxious 

3:00pm-feeling better

4:00pm-headache, spacey 

4:30pm-Effexor 0.023g (12 beads)

5:00pm-dinner 

7:00pm-5mg melatonin

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

How do you feel compared to 10 days ago?

Ups and downs but over all feeling much better than I was 10 days ago 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd treat my nervous system gently and let it settle down with the help of the very small dose of Effexor. This may take some weeks or months.

Ok so you’re saying to stay at the 12 beads for a while longer? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

Absolutely you need to stabilize further before any changes. It can take a few months. It's good things are improving but you don't want to rock the boat. 👍

Yeah I plan on staying exactly where I’m at for a while 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

8/3/2023

7:00am-wake up slept most the night 

7:30am-breakfast, vitamin D3 

9:30am-Botox shots for headaches 

11:00am-feeling ok

11:30am-beef jerky snack 

12:00pm-swimming outdoors 

4:30pm- Effexor 12 beads 

7:00pm-dinner

7:30pm-headache

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

8/5/2023

7:00am-wake up slept most the night 

7:30am-breakfast, vitamin D3 

9:30am-8:00 pm dissociation feeling.  Feels like it’s gotten more consistent the last few days.  

4:30pm- Effexor 12 beads 

7:00pm-dinner 

8:000pm-bed 

7:30pm-headache

8:00pm-bedI 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I feel like my anxiety and mood has improved along with burning In legs and headaches.  However, I feel like my dissociation feeling( feeling like I’m High on marijuana without smoking marijuana)  has gotten worse and much more consistent.  Wondering if this is Effexor induced?  Also had this on pristiq.  What to do from here? 

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

@pwanzo I had that disassociation from withdrawal and reinstatement took it away. If you had it on Pristiq maybe it was from stopping lexapro and buspar. Just wait on Alto to advise.

That makes sense for sure.  It’s just when I’m in it, it is so uncomfortable and scary it starts to cause severe  panic and worry that I immediately start questioning my current process.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg 

I just wrote this to someone else today:

Anxiety is just adrenaline. It can't hurt you. Accept that your body is just overreacting. It is like a dog barking at an approaching stranger trying to warn you which is great. Good dog only it is just the mailman so a false alarm. Still good dog just misguided so the warning wasn't necessary. Your body is trying to do its job, just misguided. Thank you body but let it know it's okay, you are safe. 

• Administrator

@pwanzo Have you looked up potential effects from Botox for headaches? Please do this before further discussion. Not everything is due to withdrawal symptoms.

I have gone over the side effects a bunch on my own time and with my neurologist.  I have chronic migraines and it seemed like the better choice instead of being put on more antidepressants long term.  I am concerned it is the Effexor it’s self triggering the dissociation because I had similar feelings on the pristiq (before Botox) and is why I wanted off which caused this whole mess I am currently in.  

April 2021 lexapro 15mg

April 2023 pristiq 25 mg