ShadowDancer: Mirtazapine is giving me so much trouble after being floxed by fluoroquinolones - Tinnitus/Head Buzzing and Insomnia.

ShadowDancer

Hello.

I used antidepressants before and quit cold Turkey, as you might see from my history, lexapro. While on them I got visual snow but it was very very mild, and it knocked my IQ points down, at its worst it gave me nocturnal insomnia while I was on it and made me sleep during the day. quitting cold turkey fixed all the problems within 15 days. No withdrawals from that. 

My problem is, I got floxed 4 months ago due to fluoroquinolone antibiotic usage (ofloxacin). In case you don't know it has the same effects on your brain as benzo/antidepressant/antipsycotic withdrawal. It knocks all the gaba a receptors out of balance, leading to the buildup of excess glutamate and this knocks other receptors out of balance tooi leading to excitotoxicity.

I got hit with crippling insomnia. Didn't sleep for ten or so days, took unisom, passiflora etc, nothing worked. I found the floxies forum (Thinking in retrospect this was a mistake), they recommended mirtazapine. Went to the psychiatrist, he perscribed me with it without me mentioning anything about it.

So I took it, 15mgs. Didn't work. A few days later took 7.5mgs, it would work... gave me like 6 hours.

I noticed mild ringing tinnitus in left ear, didn't tie it to mirtazapine at first because the antibiotics I took gives you tinnitus as well. The T went away in two days.

I made my first fatal mistake around this part. Mirt would only work on 3 consecutive nights. On Night 4 I'd have to switch to unisom for 3 nights to get any sleep at all. So I rotated the meds.

Over time the left ear and a little bit later the right ear got blocked and hissing came in. Along with tensor tympani syndrome (fluttering in ear drums). It was a 1-2/10 in intensity.

Meds would stop working completely on day 42. took atarax which bumped the T to a 7 for 3 hours. Took unisom 7 days later, did the same thing, but worse..

Around this time I was able to sleep on my own, no meds, no night sweats or panic attacks, no nightmares for 18 days. Got 4-5 hours in fragments. I was getting better. Hissing was dying down, ears were getting unblocked.

Day 62. I woke up to a ringing 10/10 tinnitus in the middle of my brain, towards the right. After that day my brain got electrified. Don't know if it was due to antibiotics or WD from mirtazapine. Didn't know WD was a thing at that point. Couldn't sleep that night so I took Mirt again. Took it on and off going forward.

Over time sleep got worse, started having other CNS symptoms, sweating, night sweats, vivid dreams came back, tension headaches, suicidal thoughts etc. They were GONE for months.

Hyperacusis and dysacusis started, hyperacusis was gone in the first month too...

After a real long time, like 50 more days later, I was sure mirtazapine was giving me all these issues. Doing some research led me to this site.

What happened was there was an electrical storm in my brain for a long time and it was getting worse and worse. Electricty was literally moving inside my brain from one spot to another in the bed. This was very different than brain zaps. No other floxie described their tinnitus like this so I knew mirtazapine gave me that. Went on tinnitus forums only to find others with same issues.

Dropped the devil's pills, the electrical sensations are totally gone, I haven't gotten daily fleeting t for one week, sleep is bad but I can sleep better now compared to the time I was on them (funny). But I'm left with a myriad of other issues...

-I don't feel tired or sleepy since I quit the pills. 

-Insomnia (No deep sleep, can't sleep more than 5 hours, always in blocks, sometimes with night sweats and dreams which are lessening day by day since I'm off M)

-Tinnitus (I have no hearing loss on left ear and 15db loss in right ear, otherwise my hearing is like a 2 year old baby's, the left side of my brain is buzzing, and inside my left ear has electrical type of buzzing)

-Hyperacusis

-Dysacusis (Hearing is fine but occasionally I would get an electrical filter over sounds)

-Floaters (Started a day after M, but since antibiotics also cause it, never tied it to M) 

-Some Afterimages when I look at a light source.

-Tension headaches/pressure/vibrations in brain/ears. some tingling in head.

All in all, I took M on 60 nights over a course of 3.5 months.

What am I looking at here in your opinion? My main worry is the ear related stuff, Since I don't have hearing loss and my hair cells are healthy,  do you think this buzzing and electrical sensations would go away over time, along with hyperacusis? I don't hear the T outside, it RAMPS UP in silence though.

On tinnitus forums, most people with buzzing healed within two years. I need some soothing words guys... this is my main problem and if it goes away, I'd consider myself pretty much recovered even though I have many otehr issues.

I can deal with insomnia and other stuff. But still wondering how long it would take for me to be able to regain the ability to take naps.

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title

Lexapro 10-20mg 2016-2018 2 full years cold turkey no withdrawals, Lexapro 10-20mg 01/2021-08/2022 cold turkey missed doses, alternated between high and low doses, no withdrawals

1/7-1/14/2023 Ciprofloxacin for 1 week 500mgx2 in January 2023, resulted in headaches that went away in 2 months

3/21-3/35/2023 Oxybutinin for 4 days 

3/21-3/30/2023 Ofloxacin 400*9 days in March, gave me insomnia

3/23-3/25/2023 Passiflora+Valerian Capsule for 2 nights, doesn't work.

3/26-3/29/2023 Unisom (Doxylamine) for three nights, it would work on the second night but would not do anything on the 3rd.
03/29-05/10/2023 Mirtazapine 7.5mg/15mgs depending on the night this also would work for 3 nights, I would switch to Unisom every 4th night. Took for a total of 15-20 times in 42 nights.

5/11/2023 Atarax(hydroxine) only once but spiked my tinnitus and gives me DP/DR in the morning, after this I could fall a sleep on my own with no meds. Later on Unisom also spikes my tinnitus. 

06/01/2023 Brain Zaps start, I get back to alternating mirtazapine,passiflora, melatonin,  for 40+ more days. Symptoms got worse.

06/15/2023 Trazodone 50MGs once. Did nothing.

3/2023 - 9/2023 NAC, Alpha lipoic Acid, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium. Once or twice I took 5HTP and L-theanine. Took Fish Oil Omega-3 for 1-2 months.

11/8/2023 250mgs of Keppra ONCE.

• manymoretodays changed the title to ShadowDancer: Mirtazapine is giving me so much trouble after being floxed by fluoroquinolones - Tinnitus/Head Buzzing and Insomnia.
  • Administrator

Welcome, @ShadowDancer

When did you start mirtazapine, when did you go off it? To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi.

So 30th of march I guess was the first pill, the last was on July 19th.

I think the tinnitus was an ADR of the pills yet i never attributed it to Mirt since I was floxed.

Ever sicne my post things got so much worse for me.

I get twitching all around the body, sometimes tremors in head.

Sleep is 2 hours a night with dreams. Not as vivid as before and not nighmarish.

Constant headaches that move around my head.

Nausea.

Fleeting daily T.

I don't know if I have visual snow but my eyes don't feel the same. Especially in the dark. I have afterimages though.

My tinnitus isnt likke a constant ringing like most others.. It comes from the middle of my brain, like a wall of sound putting pressure on my scalp.

I only hear it when I lay down, it ramps up and up.

I also have this weird electrical buzzing in left ear that messes up all sounds. Can't be noticed in silence.

Whichever side I lay on, I hear the sounds in that ear.

TBH..

I don't think I'll make it. It is too painful.

I could have made it if I hadnT taken any mirt but it is too late now...

Lexapro 10-20mg 2016-2018 2 full years cold turkey no withdrawals, Lexapro 10-20mg 01/2021-08/2022 cold turkey missed doses, alternated between high and low doses, no withdrawals

1/7-1/14/2023 Ciprofloxacin for 1 week 500mgx2 in January 2023, resulted in headaches that went away in 2 months

3/26-3/29/2023 Unisom (Doxylamine) for three nights, it would work on the second night but would not do anything on the 3rd.
03/29-05/10/2023 Mirtazapine 7.5mg/15mgs depending on the night this also would work for 3 nights, I would switch to Unisom every 4th night. Took for a total of 15-20 times in 42 nights.

5/11/2023 Atarax(hydroxine) only once but spiked my tinnitus and gives me DP/DR in the morning, after this I could fall a sleep on my own with no meds. Later on Unisom also spikes my tinnitus. 

06/01/2023 Brain Zaps start, I get back to alternating mirtazapine,passiflora, melatonin,  for 40+ more days. Symptoms got worse.

3/2023 - 9/2023 NAC, Alpha lipoic Acid, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium. Once or twice I took 5HTP and L-theanine. Took Fish Oil Omega-3 for 1-2 months.

• Administrator

It is possible that tinnitus was an adverse reaction to mirtazapine and you got withdrawal syndrome after you stopped it in July.

What we've seen here is going on and off psychiatric drugs and having adverse reactions to drugs (including antibiotics) and withdrawal symptoms can make a person's nervous system sensitive to all kinds of things.

What is your sleep pattern now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sleep pattern is between wrapping a belt to the neck and a shotgun blast to the face...

Ever since dropping Mirt, I don't feel tired at all.

Around 9pmish I start yawning if I'm lucky and start feeling drowsy.

go to bed at 10-11pm.

Wake up every hour.

Catch anywhere between 2 hours to 6. but if I'M gonna catch 6 it will be like. I'll wake up at 2 or 3 am and fall asleep at 4-5am. Wake up at 6.

Tinnitus isnt the ringing kind. It is electricity. I feel the electricity inside my brain, it accumulates inside the ear I sleep on.

In fact, I have a headache at the top of my brain and I feel the tinnitus is coming from that spot. Weird I know.

Sometimes it rings though. From the middle of my brain.

I still feel some electrical sensations inside brain at times. Electricity moving.

Have Hyperacusis and dysacusis along with Tensor tymphani syndrome. It gets worse as the day drags along.

I have a minor 15db dip at 16khz, otherwise, at the age of 36, I can hear 20khz at -5db, which should be impossible.

In silence the ear vibrates, brain demands more noise.

Do you think I suffer from permanent damage....

• Administrator
18 hours ago, ShadowDancer said:

Do you think I suffer from permanent damage....

I have no idea. Could be you have something that's not withdrawal. Antibiotics can harm hearing.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:29 PM, ShadowDancer said:

All in all, I took M on 60 nights over a course of 3.5 months.

What does this mean? You didn't take mirtazapine regularly?

You took it for a few days and then skipped doses? If so, you might have given yourself interdose withdrawal from mirtazapine.

Do you take 7.5mg at the same time each day? How has your sleep pattern changed in the last 2 months?

Last night was particularly bad.

I got muscle twitches/tremors/brain vibrations/headaches all night.

I know this isnt due to antibiotics.

I took 7.5 for three days, on the 4th would stop working so I would switch to soemthing else. like unisom. for three days.

On some nights I would take 15 mgs, some days 7.5mgs for 5 consecutive days and wouldnt take anything for 1 week.

On some nights I would take 7.5, and another 7.5 after waking up in the middle of the night. Or mix it with passiflora.

The first month I would sleep 4-6 hours waking up once.

That quickly went down to 2 hours. Then 30 mins.

Before dropping all the pills I would get no sleep at all.

After dropping them, It depends.

I can fall asleep but I'm guaranteed to wake up wihin two hours. Depends I could fall asleep again or not after that point.

• Administrator

You cannot take these drugs intermittently, interdose withdrawal from mirtazapine can be quite severe.

Since you've just stopped mirtazapine, getting 2 to 6 hours of sleep per night is not bad for withdrawal syndrome. Suggest you strengthen your sleep with these tips

What is the sleep cycle?

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing the morning cortisol spike

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Light boxes/light therapy for depression and sleep disorders

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

Last question.

I am pretty sure it is the mirtazapine that gave me the remaining tinnitus problems I have.

I had many variations of it which disappeared completely.

I have been in talks with other floxies who reported similar symptoms, for them they all went away too.

For me.

Whenever my tinnitus started getting better, I got a new stupid variation of tinnitus those others do not report.

I had Eustachian Tube Problems too which mostly went away.

Whatever I have now...

It is in my brain and goes to the ear I lie on.

It is mostly electrical. but sometimes I hear a tone coming from the middle of my head, maybe towards the left only in silence in the bed.. (which on benzo forums they say is indicative of withdrawal)

In daily life it is a 0/10 but then ı have hyperacusis and dysacusis.

Also, Tensor tymphani syndrome. they stay contracted in both ears. I have pain in right ear when I jingle my keys near it. I can sense some kind of movement inside both my ears, sometimes it feels like theres water inside ,when there isnt.

My hair cells are fine I had an otoacustics test.

I can hear up to 20khz at the age of 36. the only dip is at 16khz in right ear. the dip is 15dbs.

I don't know if there is any synaptic damage. But I can understand all speech pretty fine.

Let's entertain this idea that I got it as an ADR and messed it up due to interdose withdrawal and complete cessation of the poison pills.

Do you think I could recover from this or... should I get used to it...

• Administrator

Sorry, I don't do otolaryngology. I cannot predict what will happen with your ear symptoms. If it's a withdrawal symptom, it probably will very gradually go away, in the typical The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

• 1 month later...

It got bad.

Over time I lost the ability to feel tired.

Now if my body forces me to bed I feel like I don't even have to sleep. It takes a while for me to fall a sleep and I generally wake up after 1-2 hours.

I average 2.5 hours a night. Sometimes can get 5 hours with breaks.

At 3 am. My body gets hot. Then it cools down to a point i cant get warm. This happens almost every night.

Night sweats come and go.

I have muscle twitching in various parts of my body due to dropping mirtazapine. Antibiotics never gave me this side effect.

It feels like my brain is shaking. Also feels like it is getting stabbed with a knife <- luckily this type of headaches got much better, although it is mostly constant pretty much all the time with minor breaks.

My head feels like it is going to explode, pressure is too much..

I get hypnogogic hallucinations when I am falling a sleep the second time. I am in a dream like state but i can hear the outside noises like the clock on the wall ticking...

Can I heal with this little, broken sleep?

Can this kind of insomnia be permanent?? it feels like i am going to die. or will kill myself due to how much pain i'm in..

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

--------

Sleep:

is still an issue however, it got a little better.

I can sleep up to 6 hours now, however the pattern is broken into 2 hour periods. 

Meaning I sleep for 2 hours wake up, takes up to 2 hours or more to fall asleep again, wake up, sleep again.

The most I slept in one go was 4 hours, but it took me 3 hours to fall asleep. Happened once.

I sometimes get 2 hour nights which suck bad. But luckily I started to average 3-4 hours a night.

If I can sleep all these 6 hours in one go, I'd consider myself almost recovered.

Also, I dream pretty much every night. I hope they STOP.

--------

Tinnitus:

I saw my professor who said he doesn't believe my T was caused by ototoxicity since the damage would be visible in the tests. He thinks my T was caused by the meds I took and their effects on the brain.. He simply said it was a POLARIZATION ISSUE.

In regards to tinnitus I found a paper that explains why it happens on SSRIs or off SSRIs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363383/

TLDR of it is, serotonin excites fusiform cells through the HCN channels (sodium and potassium channels) in the dorsal coclear nucleus, where tinnitus is generated .

Antidepressants also may increase the serotonin levels, receptor sensitivity or densitiy in dorsal coclear nucleus, which causes tinnitus.

Sometimes antidepressants help tinnitus since when you take them your body turns off receptors... meaning less stimulation in the DCN.

-I suspect thats why people get tinnitus as a withdrawal symptom way down the line, the body turns on the downregulated receptors in the DCN whe you are off of them.

HCN blockers eliminated tinnitus in their experiments...

There are upcoming potassium channel openers (XEN1101 and BHV7000) which will hyperpolarize the resting state of the cells and potentially reduce or eliminate tinnitus. In the past a drug called retigabine did the same thing, however it had too many side effects AND it was not as selective when it came to targeting specific channels. Thats why the results were all over the place. These modified versions should work better and may give complete relief to some.

My main worry is the possible excess serotonin receptors in the DCN. Hopefully the drug will make them cease function, otherwise might have to be taken for life to be Tinnitus free. But I'm hopeful that I will be able to get rid of this when the drugs come out, based on the hours and hours of reading I did on Tinnitus.

Here's a paper on how the potassium channel openers affect serotonic neurotransmission:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18174210/

-----------

Visual Snow:

I asked my father, mother and brother to verify if they see static in their vision in the dark as well and they confirmed so. Maybe mine is a little bit thicker than theirs but it is fine, it doesnt bother me that much.

Floaters are something I can live with as well. I have some blue field phenomena, where white dots appear when ı look at the sky, but my brother and father also have this, maybe I have it a little more than them, although it got better compared to beginning. I'm a little sensitive to light as well.

However...

EVER SINCE I DROPPED MİRTAZAPINE, my afterimages got a little worse. It makes it real hard reading texts on black backgrounds when I'm using my pc. I need to get rid of at least this part of it for good. The rest can stay.

----------

My physical issues caused by CNS dysfuntion are getting better. (sweating, muscle twitching etc.) However the headaches remain...

TLDR the stuff I'm dealing with are; 

-Sleep for 3-4 hours on average and it is broken, with dreams...

-Tinnitus and hyperacusis still are there, hyperacusis a little better, dysacusis almost gone. I think the upcoming potassium channel openers will resolve this issue, might have to take serotonin antagonists together with it, IDK.... ( I NEED this to resolve completely)

-Visual snow and especially afterimages are horrible. (I NEED afterimages to be GONE, they are horrible.)

-Headaches are WAY better but constant and horrible.

Don't have any other issues that are problematic.... 

• Administrator

You are describing withdrawal syndrome from going off your drugs. It is going away naturally. This can take a long time and follow the The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really scared now.

After my last post I had days where I got no sleep. It came back but is worse. Also have vivid dreams every night, waking up every 1.5 hours..

I don't feel sleepy nor feel the need to fall asleep. I just lay in bed after a certain hour and I sleep after a while.. Could take up to 4 hours for me to fall asleep...

What I'm scared about the most is about my visual symptoms.

I know I developed HPPD now as an adverse reaction thanks to mirt. stopping it made some symtoms better but I'M struggling with the withdrawal intensified visual problems.

My light sensitivity is so off the charts, I pretty much require sunglasses outside if there's any amount of sun. I never had this problem on Mirt.

I had afterimages, both positive and negative, but they got worse too.

I got eye pain too.

I'm pretty sure head pressure/headaches is related to this issue

Tinnitus is better but only so slightly. Ear pain/tensor tympani still is a thing.

From what have been reading, the HPPD can be permanent!

And I sort of think it is too because 18 days after dropping mirt, as I have said before an explosion went off in my head, 10/10 tinnitus coming from the brain, and I had electrical zaps all over my brain, physically accumulating on the side of my head I slept on and burning it, for a month at least, they were so intense they PHYSICALLY BURNED the side of my head/brain/ears I slept on. It was as if my brain was dipped in menthol.

I know think this was a case of excitotoxicity and I lost some neurons in the process..

Thinking about using Keppra/lamictal maybe for HPPD, if I live long enough to get my sleep back.

Def. gonna use BHV-7000 or XEN1101 (potassium channel openers) to maintain tinnitus when they come out... years from now...

I dont know what else to do... I'm stuck.

• Administrator

You may have spells where you feel poorly. These are called waves. When you feel better, those are windows.

Please review the various withdrawal symptoms

• 2 months later...

@Altostrata I'm sorry to bother you again.

I don't think I'll last for too long.

I don't get sleepy at all and it has been months.

I used to get up to 6 hours.

Decided to take one pill of Keppra for my visual symtoms.

That night I couldn't sleep at all.

But then the next night I slept for 6 hours.

Then 5. Then 3. Then 0 for days.

It went back up to 6 and went back down to 0.

I haev been getting many 0 hour days now. But sometimes, after getting a 0 hour day, I sleep for 8 hours. Albeit very broken and with vivid dreams.

The ears and eyes.. I don't even want to mention how bad those symtoms are.

I'm in constant pain. Constant headaches..

I think i was giving myself serotonin syndrome for the duration of the time I was taking mirtazapine, my dreams were getting worse and worse, they had green backgrounds with lots of noise and I was losing sleep with increased brain zaps and tinnitus. I gave myself serotonin syndrome for 3 straight months.

I should have not rotated these pills for my Ofloxacin induced insomnia. I would have recovered by now.

The insides of my ears are real tense. It's muscle tension. They offered me botox, but they said not now due to potential side effects. The side effects are very simialr to withdrawals btw, I looked it up.

I'm sorry.

• Administrator

It's unlikely you got serotonin syndrome from occasional 15mg mirtazapine alone.

If you had a bad reaction to Keppra, it may take a week or 2 for your system to settle down. You may experience ups and downs while stabilizing.

The staff and community will assist you further.

• Moderator Emeritus

@ShadowDancercan you please update your drug signature to include all drugs you have taken, and are currently on? Eg keppra, antibiotics etc    

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

I did it.

Updated my signature.

Last night I got 8 hours with dreams and it was horribly broken again. The night before was 0 hours and the next day I had all sorts of headaches and panic attacks with other symptoms.

There is an epilepsy drug coming out in 2026 which should help with tinnitus as well. It is a potassium channel activator. Lamotrigine is a sodium channel blocker, this is doing the same thing but by not blocking the gas pedal, but hitting on the brakes instead, and in the past, people benefitted from an earlier version of this drug for their tinnitus, but that drug had horrible side effects.

I'm very active on tinnitustalk so I know about this horrible condition more than anyone else on this board.

This drug COULD help with it, but I'm afraid, if I were to take it when it comes out, it will set me back in my recovery progress, now that my brain is horribly broken too.

I don't even know what I am talking about. Seems like a pipe dream for me to last that long.

I dont ever get sleepy....

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for updating your signature with your other drugs.  Just one thing - please add dates to them, like to the atarax, and to the time you had the brain seizure.  

I'm willing to bet that what has happened is that your brain is confused and destabilized from all of the drugs and drug changes you have done over the past several years, and it has become sensitized.  Not only that, varying the drug dose tends to be very destabilizing, like when you varied the mirtazapine dose.  Therefore, anytime you try a new drug, it tends to worsen things instead of help.  If I were in your shoes, I would stay away from drugs.  The best remedy for healing your brain is lots of time, and non drug self care.  Eat a healthy diet, get plenty of fluids, avoid alchohol and mind altering substances, take walks outside if you are able, and do things that calm your nervous system.  Eventually, in time, you will heal.  The brain is very neuro plastic, and capable of healing.  We have seen people here in terrible WD who have eventually healed.  

Neuroplasticity 

Try reading some of the success stories.  Here are some links that can help: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Baylissa  Frederick has some nice meditations and short encouraging messages 

(she has recovered from Benzo) she also has a great book  Recovery and Renewal

https://www.youtube.com/@BaylissaFrederick/videos

Here are some very helpful things about sleep.  Poor sleep was my hallmark symptom, and changing the way I thought about sleep helped a lot. My sleep is much better now. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/25270-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/?do=findComment&comment=658566.  - link about sleep cognitive restructuring

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/24895-atimirt-mirtazapine-withdrawal-help/?do=findComment&comment=534019

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thank you.

I think Mirtazapine hurt me from teh very first moment I started taking it. Me rotating it with other meds didn't do me any more favors.

Because I used to get 6 hours with it in the beginning, nothing weird. Later on developed tinnitus, weird dreams, fragmented sleep, and my sleep dropped to 30 mins at max.

It was surely an adverse reaction/tolerance thing, and those "zaps" lasted for a month, were extremel physical and the electrical activity was presetnall the time, and it made my life a mess especially at night.

Last night IDK how many hours I got.

I don't care about the tinnitus or the visual snow/palinopsia anymore. I just need to sleep.

I know for a fact, my tinnitus is quite low, if that potassium channel opener comes out(xen1101), it will probably permanently cure it, the porblem is the inside of my ears are too sore all the time.

IDK.

I'll take a break for a few days and post here again if things go wrong.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, ShadowDancer said:

Me rotating it with other meds didn't do me any more favors.

I agree.  

if that potassium channel opener comes out(xen1101), it will probably permanently cure it,

Is this a drug or a supplement?  Just be really careful adding any new drugs/supplements, as you already have a history of reacting badly to them, especially since you said the tinnitus was much improved.  

Our brains and bodies will heal us naturally, if we allow them to.  Please read this: 

On 9/18/2021 at 1:42 PM, brassmonkey said:

Trusting that your body knows what needs to be done to heal and will do it naturally is one of the hardest parts of doing this. The amount of trust that we have to have is amazing and the ability to accept what happens and move through it, even if it isn't what we had planned, is equally so. We have all been taught to think things  through and do what we think is best, but sometimes our logic gets the best of us. We can think too much and see too many sides of the coin.

To me ADWD is proof that nature is in control despite what we think. In most cases we have to get out of the way and let it happen. We may want a specific outcome by next weekend, but the choice isn't ours. If our body wants to heal in that direction by them it may happen, but usually it needs to do something else, which it knows is more important for the healing process. It doesn't really care what our weekend plans are, but rather knows what it needs to do to heal.

Giving up that control is very hard because we think about the problem too much.

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

Is this a drug or a supplement?  Just be really careful adding any new drugs/supplements, as you already have a history of reacting badly to them, especially since you said the tinnitus was much improved.  

I'm sorry, I'm obsessed with tinnitus, I had it pretty bad, with pretty much all kinds of variations/distortions/sensitivities, so I'M traumatized by having such a thing.

So, in 2013 or so, a Professor, Thanos Tzounopoulos, figured out, that after noise trauma, potassium channels in the Dorsal Coclear Nucleus close up. Namely the Kv7.2/3 or KCNQ2/3 channels. This is why tinnitus is induced in the brain. He found out that administering a potassium channel opener prevented the development of tinnitus, after the noise trauma. 

This is also the case with antidepressants. I found a paper, saying though HCN2 channels, serotonin activates the fusiform cells in the DCN, causing tinnitus. Serotonin is a g coupled protein which also antagonizes the Kv7 channels. And Kv7 channels are connected to HCN2 channels..

There was only one known potassium channel opener available at the time calles Retigabine/Ezogabine sold under the brand name Trobalt/Potiga. It was an epilepsy drug, much like lamotrigine. He used this one to prevent tinnitus in mice.

After this paper came out, many people on TinnitusTalk trialled it.

Two of them reported that they totally recovered from tinnitus. Some of them with tinnitus and/or hyperacusis reported that their hyperacusis were cured, and tinnitus either lessened permanently or got better during the time they were on the drug.

It brought a 10/10 tinnitus to a 0-2/10 for some people as long as they kept taking the drug.

A majority of people who took it reported some lessening of their tinnitus, at least as long as they took it. This ALSO included antidepressant and benzo induced tinnitus!

But for some it did not help much, or did nothing at all.

It had side effects. ıt gave people visual snow syndrome, among other things like skin turning blue etc. I believe it caused the death of one user, though he took it a long time in heavy doses. It got removed from the market. 

Thanos Tzounopoulos is reworking the drug to be more potent, he calls it RL-81, but it has been 10 years, and he couldn't figure out the toxicity issues with his drug.

Now this drug is also being reworked to be more potent by anotehr company, to be more selective with less side effects. XEN1101 is the codename for it.. It will be out in 2026.

Apparently, if you can make a more potent drug, this could keep these channels open, even after the drug is out of your system, and maybe keep the tinnitus away forever, or maybe it has to be taken for life, can't say for sure atm. That's the theory we are going with for now at least, since the drug won't come out until 2026!

I hope I recover a portion of my sleep until that time. If the tinnitus remains like this, maybe I can trial it, hopefully without setbacks..., ofc after seeing the results from other people in the tinnitus community....... won't do the trial without seeing results...

I'll remain drug free until then...

I have a quick question regarding sleep.

I immediately go to the dreaming stage as soon as I go into sleep. It can last anywhere between 1-3 hours, at the end of my dream I immediately wake up. Sometimes can't fall asleep again. Other times I can, but again, I go into the dreaming stage every time I fall asleep. On a night I can have up to 4 different dreams. Is this real sleep? It doesn't feel refreshing in the least.

Also I felt tired only twice in the past year. Once, after a sleepless night, I walked all over town with a friend having a daylong panic attack, that night by brain actuallu shut down and I slept for 7-7.5 hours. That was a month ago.

And the last time was last night, in my sleep, druing a dream, in my dream I started passing out, and all my brain functions started shutting down, even the dream slowed down,but the experience was so scary I jolted myself awake. felt like I was slipping into a coma.

Is what I'm having real sleep or am I just hallucinating?

16 hours ago, ShadowDancer said:

I immediately go to the dreaming stage as soon as I go into sleep. It can last anywhere between 1-3 hours, at the end of my dream I immediately wake up.

Exactly what I have been experiencing since CT. My sleep is deteriorating as time goes by. I sleep only 1-4 hrs these days where as I was sleeping up 5.5 , sometimes 6 hrs though interrupted and early morning awakening has not stopped . I just can’t sleep past 4:30am. 
I am worried that it may go on and on till I sleep for good. Hope it won’t be the case. 

I think Mirtazapine is the main culprit. 
I wish you speedy recovery. ❤️‍🩹 

Clonazepam 0.5 mg (30 tablets, maximum twice a week)

Temazepam 10mg ( 40 to 45 tablets , upto 30 mg at once , sometimes together with Mirtazapine) 
2022 Mirtazapine 15mg for 2 weeks and stopped CT

Started Amitriptyline 20mg for 3 weeks and stopped CT

Again,Mirtazapine again 7.5mg for 3 weeks and stopped again CT.

7th Jan 2023 - last dose of 7.5mg Mirtazapine.

Currently on supplements:

Mag glycinate 600mg

Fish oil

Probiotics

Vit C and Vit D

6 hours ago, Purae said:

Exactly what I have been experiencing since CT. My sleep is deteriorating as time goes by. I sleep only 1-4 hrs these days where as I was sleeping up 5.5 , sometimes 6 hrs though interrupted and early morning awakening has not stopped . I just can’t sleep past 4:30am. 
I am worried that it may go on and on till I sleep for good. Hope it won’t be the case. 

I think Mirtazapine is the main culprit. 
I wish you speedy recovery. ❤️‍🩹 

Not very encouraging to read that your sleep is deteriorating too.

Hope when our receptors get recycled we will get some sort of normalcy in our sleep patterns.

Alright this is BS.

I walked for 10+kms.

I came back, couldn't fall asleep until 4 am. woke up with a body wide tremor at around 7. no dreams, straigh up 3 hours.

Not feeling tired/being wired all the time.

This night was similar.

9.30 to 12. Slept for 2.5 hours. Then couldn't fall back a sleep until 6 or 7 slept for another hour or two with dreams I'm not sure how long I slept in total during this session.

Those 8 hour nights are gone now.

I should have never trusted medical practicitioners/friends  who said Mirtazapine was good for sleep. They were devils in disguise.

On top of all this, my brain feels like it is on fire all the time. No windows for months. Under my scalp hurts the most.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, ShadowDancer said:

I walked for 10+kms.

I came back, couldn't fall asleep until 4 am. woke up with a body wide tremor at around 7. no dreams, straigh up 3 hours.

Not feeling tired/being wired all the time.

Exercise intolerance is a common symptom of WD.  I suggest that you limit your exercise.  I have the same problem myself.  I'm able to take a walk outside, but if I walk outside plus do light weight lifting, my  nervous system becomes activated as well.  If you continue on the path of natural healing, and avoid psychoactive drugs and substances, you should eventually heal and become more tolerant of exercise.  I can tolerate about 2.5 - 3 mile (5 km) walk, if there isn't a lot of stress or other things going on in my life.  

It would help the staff if you could condense your drug signature to include only drug names, dates and dosages, eliminate symptoms, explanations, etc.  

Edited by getofflex

Hey getofflex.

Changed the signature, I realized I took too many meds. I don't know how else I can make the signature better.

I have done extensive reading on this site, benzo buddies, tinnitus talk, reddit etc.

I think I kindled myself going on and off mirtazapine. But even while I was taking it it was causing me adverse reactions, my dreams were turning into violent nightmares with loud screams when I was on it, along with other symtoms like nausea, reactive tinnitus etc. So I had to cold turkey off of it.

My ears got hit the worst. The muscles inside are constantly tugging the eardrum, and they flutter to sounds and even touching my face.

The tinnitus was coming from my ears, prior to zaps, now it is all over the jawline/brain/neck area.

My brain hurts. I have headaches, kind of like electricity burning my brain type of feeling. The sensation moves around a lot. Sometimes they even spread to my eyes/nose area.

I actually got used to my visuals... Thought they are bad...

I almost get no windows.

It was getting better before the Keppra, now it started getting worse IDK why. 

I can bear it all if I could just get sleepy.

As soon as I drift off to sleep I start having these dreams. 

Am I really sleeping or hallucinating?

I will remain drug free, but for my ears, at one point, I have to get botox or some muscle relaxers, or hope that the epilepsy drug that'll come out 3 years down the line also helps with it as a secondary effect.

I don't know if it will set me back like Keppra. Though, at this point I don't think keppra caused all my current issues. 

I'm scared. I don't want to kill myself but I don't want to live like this either...

Hello ShadowDancer. Those crazy dreams are from mirtazapine withdrawal. You are getting sleep with these dreams, it just never feels restful. I have had plenty of them but it has improved lots as I've gotten to a low dose. It's a common mirt withdrawal symptom.

Marie.

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg, 3/27/24 1.4 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think if you avoid trying more drugs your system will eventually find stability.  It sounds like the keppra further destabilized your brain.  I hope you are learning some non drug skills for dealing with your symptoms.  This can help a lot.  You’ve had quite a few drug starts and stops and varying doses etc all of which are hard on the brain.  Please be leery of supplements too. These can cause problems in a sensitized nervous system.  

• Mentor

I was taking it it was causing me adverse reactions, my dreams were turning into violent nightmares with loud screams when I was on it, along with other symtoms like nausea, reactive tinnitus etc. So I had to cold turkey off of it.

Been there. I started violently acting out my nightmares on it (my poor, poor partner) and was having tons of other side effects. My doctor also CTed me, which was tough but got better with time. Hard to be patient and give the body time to heal, but it does get better. So sorry you've been put through this wringer and hope you're on the other side soon.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

I think I have brain damage.

Toxic Encephalitis, as I have no other means to explain what's happening to me symtom-wise. Reading a lot of other stories, there's clearly something else a play here, other than the classic WD symptoms.

These headaches/head pressure sensations are disabling, 24/7 present to varying degrees, and the insomnia isn't getting any better. I never feel tired.

Strangely I have no problems with my cognition whatsoever. I can walk and drive and do other stuff.

Feels like there is something electrical, vibrating under my scalp. I can notice it more in silent enviroments or when I put my head on a pillow.

Ok.

The past 5 days my sleep's been like this. Always broken and always with vivid dreams:

3-4 hours

3-4 hours

0 hours

8.5 hours

IDK how many hours but I know I slept since I dreamt twice, maybe 2 hours.

On the nights I can't sleep or sleep less than 4 hours, my chest/heart hurts. The following day, I get extremely suicidal and have a day long panic attack.

Also I had one other symptom that I failed to mention, whenever I get excited, like when I hear one of my favorite songs at a shopping mall, or be in a situation that reminds me of my old life,

My brain used to send an electrical discharge down my spine, I don't know if it had to do with adrenaline or something, but it physically hurt and made my consciousness fade out for a while, I would have a hard time forming sentences.

Now with this symptom, no electrical discharges are being sent anymore but I get some weird pain sensations in my brain when I get excited, like the electrical activity goes up in some parts of it (kind of like a burning pain), doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did before.

I'll try walking less and cut out certain foods from my diet.

Hi ShadowDancer-

I was on mirt for about 3-4 years on a dose of 3.75 then 1.75 and slowly tapered off over those 3-4 years.  ALL of your symptoms I too have!  The sleep, for me, is by far the worst symptom.  I cannot sleep for any chunk of time anymore and it’s been months of this.

Nights, for whatever reason are horrific and I have weird brain sensations, zaps, noises, headaches, pressure, weird tinnitus, ear pain and pressure, massive sweating and then chills, nausea, electric current feelings that flow through my body, dizziness and many other things.  This all happens to me at night.  My days aren’t much better but at least I’m somewhat functioning.

I too have lots of weird ear stuff and mirt is in fact ototoxic.  I have pain, pressure, sometimes ringing, swooshing or hearing music??!!  I also have that sensitivity when anything goes near my ear and it’s like I can feel it inside. Also when I listen to anything too loud or disruptive my ears like whoosh or move or have some weird sensation.

I’ll list the symptoms I can think of right now to give you confidence that this is withdrawal and you (and I) will heal-

-nausea

-diarrhea/constipation

-food sensitivities

-GI issues

-Electrical feelings in my body and brain

-sweating/chills

-head pressure

-headaches/migraines

-ear issues (tinnitus, pressure, pain, etc)

-brain issues (zaps, moving sensations, being shocked, etc)

-total and complete insomnia

-weakness in my body

-pain in my body

-panic attacks

-increased anxiety

-bladder problems 

and much more!

but truly time will heal us and avoiding adding anything to the mix is very important.  I do take magnesium glycinate and a small amount of melatonin for sleep…idk if it helps, but I do take it.

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!

I also want to mention, you are in what is called the acute phase, where your symptoms are the worst, this lasts a certain time and then you enter the windows and waves pattern wherein symptoms can get bad (waves) and better or more tolerable (windows).  This can go on for some time and the pattern can change with symptoms coming and going and new ones appearing.  

I came off in a July after a slow taper with liquid and my symptoms have gradually gotten worse and since December I have been in acute withdrawal as well.  But I can tell you this won’t last forever and healing is happening even if we don’t feel it! 

hang in there & feel free to reach out.

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!