ShadowDancer: Mirtazapine is giving me so much trouble after being floxed by fluoroquinolones - Tinnitus/Head Buzzing and Insomnia.

ShadowDancer

For almost a week I slept.. ok. Averaged 6 hours a night with awakenings and vivid dreams. 

I ask my brother to get in the bed with me because my body heat goes down. He warms up the bed and I push my feet against his to elevate my body heat. He sometimes holds my hand too.

This made me fall asleep pretty easy for the last week every night.

But my sleep went to **** last night again and I woke up wanting to kill myself, in agony.

I also can't stop myself from uncontrollably screaming and scratching my arms like a drug addict when I have a bad night.

Headaches are lessening but there 24/7.

Muscle twitching doesn't happen much anymore and when it happens is mild.

I can't stop myself from grinding my teeth when I'm stressed.

Also, the nights I can't sleep, my body heat goes up, making me sweat. I can't be in the bed with my clothes on at all.

On those nights, I urinate a lot too.

Also, I have realized my urine is always foamy I don't know if it's due to withdrawals or the fq poisoning.

Even on the days I sleep ok, I mostly want to kill myself...

This is no life.

Lexapro 10-20mg 2016-2018 2 full years cold turkey no withdrawals, Lexapro 10-20mg 01/2021-08/2022 cold turkey missed doses, alternated between high and low doses, no withdrawals

1/7-1/14/2023 Ciprofloxacin for 1 week 500mgx2 in January 2023, resulted in headaches that went away in 2 months

3/21-3/35/2023 Oxybutinin for 4 days 

3/21-3/30/2023 Ofloxacin 400*9 days in March, gave me insomnia

3/23-3/25/2023 Passiflora+Valerian Capsule for 2 nights, doesn't work.

3/26-3/29/2023 Unisom (Doxylamine) for three nights, it would work on the second night but would not do anything on the 3rd.
03/29-05/10/2023 Mirtazapine 7.5mg/15mgs depending on the night this also would work for 3 nights, I would switch to Unisom every 4th night. Took for a total of 15-20 times in 42 nights.

5/11/2023 Atarax(hydroxine) only once but spiked my tinnitus and gives me DP/DR in the morning, after this I could fall a sleep on my own with no meds. Later on Unisom also spikes my tinnitus. 

06/01/2023 Brain Zaps start, I get back to alternating mirtazapine,passiflora, melatonin,  for 40+ more days. Symptoms got worse.

06/15/2023 Trazodone 50MGs once. Did nothing.

3/2023 - 9/2023 NAC, Alpha lipoic Acid, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium. Once or twice I took 5HTP and L-theanine. Took Fish Oil Omega-3 for 1-2 months.

11/8/2023 250mgs of Keppra ONCE.

Guys.

I think I have the worst akathisia possible.

Toes curling up, body tensing up, I am always anxious, grinding teeth, scratching my arms like a crazy person.

I can't fall asleep.

Last night was a 0 hour night.

How is this still possible this many months out.

I donT think I can survive this.

Suicide is on my mind 24/7, very hard to resist.

Lexapro 10-20mg 2016-2018 2 full years cold turkey no withdrawals, Lexapro 10-20mg 01/2021-08/2022 cold turkey missed doses, alternated between high and low doses, no withdrawals

1/7-1/14/2023 Ciprofloxacin for 1 week 500mgx2 in January 2023, resulted in headaches that went away in 2 months

3/26-3/29/2023 Unisom (Doxylamine) for three nights, it would work on the second night but would not do anything on the 3rd.
03/29-05/10/2023 Mirtazapine 7.5mg/15mgs depending on the night this also would work for 3 nights, I would switch to Unisom every 4th night. Took for a total of 15-20 times in 42 nights.

5/11/2023 Atarax(hydroxine) only once but spiked my tinnitus and gives me DP/DR in the morning, after this I could fall a sleep on my own with no meds. Later on Unisom also spikes my tinnitus. 

06/01/2023 Brain Zaps start, I get back to alternating mirtazapine,passiflora, melatonin,  for 40+ more days. Symptoms got worse.

3/2023 - 9/2023 NAC, Alpha lipoic Acid, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium. Once or twice I took 5HTP and L-theanine. Took Fish Oil Omega-3 for 1-2 months.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:24 AM, ShadowDancer said:

For almost a week I slept.. ok. Averaged 6 hours a night with awakenings and vivid dreams. 

I ask my brother to get in the bed with me because my body heat goes down. He warms up the bed and I push my feet against his to elevate my body heat. He sometimes holds my hand too.

But my sleep went to **** last night again and I woke up wanting to kill myself, in agony.

I also can't stop myself from uncontrollably screaming and scratching my arms like a drug addict when I have a bad night.

Also, the nights I can't sleep, my body heat goes up, making me sweat. I can't be in the bed with my clothes on at all.

Also, I have realized my urine is always foamy I don't know if it's due to withdrawals or the fq poisoning.

This is no life.

Oh my gosh. I get that. It doesn't matter how cold the room is. I get really hot. It will wake me right out of sleep too

Sertaline- tried 50 mg beginning of June 2023. Caused hyperreflexia.  So stopped after one dose. Tried several smaller doses that month.  Had burning and twitching so just stopped. 

Lexapro

June of 2023' 2.5 mg for two weeks 

July of 2023 5 mg for two weeks

July of 2023 7.5 mg for 2 weeks

August to mid September 10 mg

Mid September reduced to 7.5

October to October 15 reduced to 5

October 15 to October 30 reduced to 2.5 

October 30-off

On 5/8/2024 at 1:20 AM, ShadowDancer said:

Guys.

I think I have the worst akathisia possible.

Toes curling up, body tensing up, I am always anxious, grinding teeth, scratching my arms like a crazy person.

I can't fall asleep.

Last night was a 0 hour night.

How is this still possible this many months out.

I donT think I can survive this.

Suicide is on my mind 24/7, very hard to resist.

Is it from lack of sleep?

Sertaline- tried 50 mg beginning of June 2023. Caused hyperreflexia.  So stopped after one dose. Tried several smaller doses that month.  Had burning and twitching so just stopped. 

Lexapro

October 30-off

18 minutes ago, Farm24 said:

Is it from lack of sleep?

I think it works both ways, the lack of sleep causes it and when I have it it causes lack of sleep. All I know is I want to die right now.

Just now, ShadowDancer said:

I think it works both ways, the lack of sleep causes it and when I have it it causes lack of sleep. All I know is I want to die right now.

I am in the same cycle. :(

Lexapro

October 30-off

On 4/29/2024 at 11:24 PM, ShadowDancer said:

This is no life.

This is exactly how I feel when I have a bad night…the aka and terror and SI all come rushing back in and I don’t think I can survive.  

I don’t understand why this happens on and off and why some nights are better than others…for me it seems hormonal, but then other times it doesn’t follow any pattern at all.

I also have the sweating, teeth grinding, jaw clenching, migraines/headaches, head pressure and a host of other symptoms…

I know it doesn’t seem survivable now, but you will heal and stabilize as time passes, it’s just surviving each day till things change.  If you’re breathing, you’re healing!  Just breath if that’s all you can do.

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!

@Rhernanafter doing some research and talking to other victims I'm inclined to believe it is the Dopamine receptors causing most of our problems like akathisia.

Mirtazapine hits hard and i saw some comments claiming that it hits harder than olanzapine. I saw these comments when I was doing a research on why this drug ends in zapine like olanzapine.

The recovery from this is not simple and will take years if it ever happens.

How's your stress response btw? Can you work or do anything at all these days?

15 minutes ago, ShadowDancer said:

@Rhernanafter doing some research and talking to other victims I'm inclined to believe it is the Dopamine receptors causing most of our problems like akathisia.

Mirtazapine hits hard and i saw some comments claiming that it hits harder than olanzapine. I saw these comments when I was doing a research on why this drug ends in zapine like olanzapine.

The recovery from this is not simple and will take years if it ever happens.

How's your stress response btw? Can you work or do anything at all these days?

Well if that’s the case, then I’m screwed because I was on it for over 3 years (granted a low dose of 3.75 and then 1.75 mg’s).

I’m finding my worst symptoms are brain issues like the migraines, dizziness, weird sleep, waking with terror, anxiety and SI…nights are a crazy kind of torture and I cannot understand why?

I do think we will heal as I’ve had healing already, but as far as it taking a lot of time, I do agree with that.

As for my stress response, it’s hit and miss.  I’m unable to work or do many normal things like travel, go places, etc…I do have two kids so I have to be active in their lives and I do that even when I feel like I want to die.

Before I came off I was back to working part time, traveling, and living a almost normal life, but since I came off all that has been taken away.  And I did a low, slow liquid taper off over several years.  In fact I was only on 3.75 mg’s for a year before I dropped to 1.75 mg’s and began my taper off.

But like I said, things are SLWOLY improving & all I can do is pray it keeps climbing in that direction.

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!