Rudbeckie17: Side effect of Sertraline (Zoloft)

Rudbeckie17

Hello! I'm new to this site! I am happy to have found this forum reassuring and full of mutual help! I apologize in advance for my grammar errors, I am from Quebec and I don't speak English so I use Google translate! ☺️ Here is my little story! In August 2023, my doctor prescribed Sertraline (the French name for Zoloft) at my request. I was experiencing a lot of anxiety about a vestibular disorder that I have been living with for 1 year, it is very difficult to live with. So, I start Zoloft, the first week at 25mg everything is fine! The second week I increase to 50 mg, stomach aches and heart palpitation, sleeping problem, difficulty urinating! I tell myself that it will pass….5 days after starting my second week all the symptoms are getting worse and worse, and a strange feeling in my genial zone….a bit like arousal without thinking sexual…sorry for the details, a frequent urge to urinate and pain similar to cystitis, like needles in the bladder! Just sitting down caused these symptoms or going to the bathroom! The symptoms were almost constant! So I made the decision to stop everything and I called my pharmacist and explained the situation to him… although I had been taking this medication for a short time (1 week and 5 days) he told me to take a 25mg the same evening. and the next day stop everything, which I did! Slowly everything was reducing but it was still there. A week after stopping I started to have muscle spasms in my thigh, hips and buttock. Constantly these spasm was there. So I made an appointment with my doctor to explain the situation to her, she’s a woman so it’s less embarrassing. She recognized all the symptoms except that of genital arousal. She was very reassuring with me and told me that everything would gradually go away over time. Today it's been 3 months since I stopped everything, the symptoms are less and less frequent, and sometimes I feel these genital symptoms towards the end of my period or during my ovulation...but it's very mild and not like in the past. beginning. I read the story of HopeFull and Cathy French on this forum which I found very reassuring and it gave me a lot of hope that my symptoms will go away! I didn't have a diagnosis so I don't know if what I had was pgad like people say, but it looks like it but without the pain! I no longer have any urinary problems either, everything is gone. All that remains is this feeling which sometimes comes back slightly! Sorry for the very long text and thank you very much for your welcome and your listening! 🥰

Rudbeckie 🙂

Welcome to SA @Rudbeckie17

You just dodged a bullet! It's likely that the symptoms that you're experiencing now will go away much faster than if you had stayed on the drugs and had to taper them eventually. 

Please celebrate that!

Check out the Symptoms and Self Care forum to see ways in which you can deal with some of the symptoms. 

Congratulations!

Omw

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@Onmyway Thank you very much for your welcome! I think so, I was lucky my symptoms weren't worse! I still have a little worry at times…but I try to stay positive :) It’s still crazy that just one small pill taken for such a short time can create all these problems! I have noticed that my symptoms come in waves, for some time now the periods without symptoms have been increasing. I can't wait for all this to be behind me, I don't suffer from it but it's a bit intrusive as symptoms and disturbing! I stay positive and try not to think about it too much like many people do here ☺️ Take care 🌷

Rudbekie

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and I echo what @Onmywaysaid. You dodged a bullet.  People who stay on these drugs become dependent on them, and spent months to years trying to get off of them.  You experienced an adverse drug reaction.  It's great that you stopped taking them!

Here is a little bit of information.  

But I only took it for a Week - adverse reaction

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you very much for the information! They are very interesting! I'm happy to have found this community! 🥰🌷

Rudbeckie 🌼

• LotusRising changed the title to Rudbeckie17: Side effect of Sertraline (Zoloft)
2 hours ago, Rudbeckie17 said:

@Onmyway Thank you very much for your welcome! I think so, I was lucky my symptoms weren't worse! I still have a little worry at times…but I try to stay positive :) It’s still crazy that just one small pill taken for such a short time can create all these problems! I have noticed that my symptoms come in waves, for some time now the periods without symptoms have been increasing. I can't wait for all this to be behind me, I don't suffer from it but it's a bit intrusive as symptoms and disturbing! I stay positive and try not to think about it too much like many people do here ☺️ Take care 🌷

Rudbekie

Staying positive is a great attitude @Rudbeckie17. It will definitely help your healing!

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Hey, it’s me again! Small return of symptoms since yesterday….as usual it coincides with the end of my period and towards the start of my ovulation….same patern for 2 months! It's mild but a kind of urinary infection that is starting...maybe a simple coincidence? My husband tells me to stay positive, like every time it ends! When my symptoms, even if they are mild, disappear, I get back to my old self. And my good humor and positivity returns! But when they reappear like this now, I'm a little discouraged and I say to myself, but how long will I stay like this? Sometimes I think I'm stupid for taking this quick solution to my anxiety... telling myself that it was going to help me, I should have continued with my natural methods like I was already using. But I felt in a bind because of all my other health problems. Sorry to bombard you with my worries…I feel that here on this forum I can discuss and people will understand me! Thank you very much for your support! Rudbeckie 🌼

@OnmywayI forgot to mention that I have also been taking Dexilant since last April. It helps me a lot because I have gastric reflux due to anxiety! I also have a geographic tongue so the reflux exacerbated my tongue! Since then I have almost no geographic episodes! I was taking 60mg but now I've been taking 30mg for 1 month and it's going really well! Can't dexilant change anything or make my side effects worse? Thank you ☺️ Rudbeckie 🌼

• 3 weeks later...

Today it’s been 4 months since I stopped taking that damn Sertraline! I'm better than the first month after stopping but for the past 4 days I've had this nasty burning sensation and excitement at times. It's not constant or strong but I know it will pass! I'm trying to keep my spirits up because my symptoms aren't serious as some members here who have had pgad but it's still depressing. I know it takes time to heal but 4 months seems like an eternity! I feel like I'm focusing too much on my symptoms and I'm letting myself get down easily these days...Many people here have recovered from this side effect! and others I've spoken to have as well came out. But I find them so courageous! I wonder how am I going to get through all of this! I am furious with myself for accepting this medication! I always told myself, I would never take this poison! But I took it….my anxiety was stronger than anything and I was convinced that this medication would help me overcome my anxiety! What a lie! 😞

Update!

Well, yesterday I think I was in a really bad wave! I woke up this morning at 5:30 a.m. with a racing heart, fear, and unpleasant symptoms! Fortunately my husband spoke to me and I spoke later this morning with friends who are also going through something that is easy! I think that in the last few days, instead of “surfing the wave” I ate it in the face and almost drowned in it! I would not let this condition define me! It's really difficult but I'm going to try very hard to distract myself while waiting for everything to heal as @CookiePretzel told me so well! Thank you for all your valuable advice! You are great!!! 🌷💜

• Mentor

Hi @Rudbeckie17  From your last few posts it sounds like you're dealing with anxiety issues that may be independent of withdrawal symptoms.  Have you considered therapy or any kind of coping techniques to deal with the feelings of anxiety?

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Hi @mstimc !
Yes, I’m thinking about it very strongly! I was already devastated before taking these medications because of a vestibular (inner ear) disorder that has lasted for over a year. The side effects of antidepressants have been too much...The stories of people who have been cured reassure me but I feel like my brain is caught in fight or flight mode! When I forget the situation and my symptoms oddly enough everything disappears and I feel normal again like before. Without dizziness without the effect of antidepressants….

• Mentor

Many of these symptoms are also symptoms of anxiety, including the fight or flight reaction.  The physical manifestations of anxiety affect our thinking and our thoughts can affect our physical state.  There are many coping strategies like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) that can help us handle the physical and mental issues that are caused by anxiety. They are far more effective at managing the symptoms than any medication.  

Tim C

@mstimc Thank you so much! I will try to make an appointment with a psychologist. I kind of feel like I'm obsessed with my symptoms like I'm listening to when they're going to come back, you know? A month ago I was almost not afraid of it and I didn't really care, but now the anxiety is taking over and the symptoms are more frequent, not stronger but more frequent. 

• Mentor
Just now, Rudbeckie17 said:

@mstimc Thank you so much! I will try to make an appointment with a psychologist. I kind of feel like I'm obsessed with my symptoms like I'm listening to when they're going to come back, you know? A month ago I was almost not afraid of it and I didn't really care, but now the anxiety is taking over and the symptoms are more frequent, not stronger but more frequent. 

Yes, health anxiety--obsessively thinking about symptoms and real or imagined illnesses--is a very common symptom of anxiety. That was one of my worst symptoms.  I was constantly worried I wasn't improving and I'd be stuck in anxious thinking forever.  But I wasn't and you won't be either.  

Tim C

@mstimcthank you so much! Your words are so reassuring! When I felt the first symptoms at 50mg, heart palpitations, cold sweats, muscle spasm. I googled (stupid idea) and came across Pgad induced by antidepressants! Strangely in the evening I started to feel these side effects! Since then I have been terrified and it seems like my brain constantly reproduces this symptom when I think about it. When I don't think about it, it's not there. I wonder so much if I really have this or am I stuck in a big obsessive-compulsive phase! It’s really confusing, because I’ve never experienced anything like this! Maybe it’s a pure coincidence or otherwise really an Ocd…thanks again!

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, Rudbeckie17 said:

@mstimcthank you so much! Your words are so reassuring! When I felt the first symptoms at 50mg, heart palpitations, cold sweats, muscle spasm. I googled (stupid idea) and came across Pgad induced by antidepressants! Strangely in the evening I started to feel these side effects! Since then I have been terrified and it seems like my brain constantly reproduces this symptom when I think about it. When I don't think about it, it's not there. I wonder so much if I really have this or am I stuck in a big obsessive-compulsive phase! It’s really confusing, because I’ve never experienced anything like this! Maybe it’s a pure coincidence or otherwise really an Ocd…thanks again!

I think you answered your own question! 🙂If a symptom goes away when you're not thinking about it, its probably just anxiety.  There's a branch of phycology/philosophy that says the universe sends us what we're interested in, even if what we're interested in isn't what we want.  The more we think about a symptom or a problem, the more real it becomes.  But that doesn't mean you have OCD.  Its the same effect of a person who feels pain a missing limb. The anxious mind tries to create its own reality. But it only has the power we allow the thoughts to have. That's why CBT is so effective--it retrains us to ground our thoughts in reality.

Tim C

@mstimcAmazing how strong the brain is! I'm trying to think how am I going to do this and where to start!? I feel like I have a lot of work to do. The symptoms seem so real! I can't have imagined everything but I have the impression that my brain has associated this symptom with stress or I don't know...I notice that the more I read, the more I search, the more I find out, it's worse …it's almost become a Ocd because I'm trying to find something that will confirm it. But what you said to me today really did me good! This is sensible and reassuring!

Yes! Distract, distract, distract. Do anything! Try to stay calm and remember this is temporary, even if it doesn’t feel like it. The wave is lying to you! It wants to make you miserable. When things get bad for me I start listing everything I’m grateful for in my head. It helps!

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 
2/21 Prescribed 20mg Prozac/ day. 
11/21 Finally tapered off Lorazepam

1/22 unsuccessful Prozac taper (skipping days)

2/22 Reinstated at 20mg daily

5/22 Switch to liquid Prozac

6/22 Begin Prozac taper of .08mg every couple weeks

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 
12/22 Begin windows and waves of depression, panic and hopelessness

6/23 Symptoms stopped worsening but are still present 

9/23 Having more good days than bad, symptoms drastically lessening

Thank you for your kind words @CookiePretzel! 💖💖💖I'm fine today! There is only the burning sensation that I have never had in 4 months. I don't really understand why my body decides to do this now after all this time! so weird! I try to see the beautiful, positive things in my life! Like my two beautiful children and my husband who I love so much! 🌷

Today is my husband’s birthday and I’m in a bad wave…yuck! I try to stay on track with positivity but yesterday and today I felt like I was slipping slightly! My OCD took me off the negative side and caused symptoms worse than usual! I realize that my psychic is very strong compared to my symptoms really! I quickly let myself be drowned by the wave! But I have to hold on!😪

• 2 months later...

How are you doing?

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 
2/21 Prescribed 20mg Prozac/ day. 
11/21 Finally tapered off Lorazepam

1/22 unsuccessful Prozac taper (skipping days)

2/22 Reinstated at 20mg daily

5/22 Switch to liquid Prozac

6/22 Begin Prozac taper of .08mg every couple weeks

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 
12/22 Begin windows and waves of depression, panic and hopelessness

6/23 Symptoms stopped worsening but are still present 

9/23 Having more good days than bad, symptoms drastically lessening