match: Zoloft reinstatement didn’t work - hold or taper off?

match

Hi,

Nice to meet you all. I’ve been lurking on this site since earlier this year and am finally posting because I am in some serious need for advice. 

I started sertraline (zoloft) in March 2015 for panic and anxiety disorder. It worked wonders and basically cured my anxiety. I was initially on 50mg and had missed doses/failed attempts to quit but never had trouble going back on it (the longest I was off the meds was 2 weeks). From May 2021 to November 2022 I took 50mg every other day and was able to stabilize.

In November 2022 I decided to taper off Zoloft since I thought my anxiety was gone and my life had become pretty stable. I weaned off in three weeks, which was ridiculously fast in hindsight (I did 12.5mg for two weeks and 6.25mg for a week). I had all the classical withdrawal symptoms (flu like symptoms, insomnia, etc). However, some of them symptoms never went away to this day, such as fatigue and insomnia, although they did start getting better over time. From January 2023 to August I also tried a lot of supplements to help my sleep. I took ashwaghanda for two months, which helped slightly. I also tried 5-htp for a week. I thought it gave me more energy until it gave me a panic attack one day so I stopped. Magnesium glycinate and fish oil didn’t do anything to me, although I only took them on and off and max for a week.

The most bothersome symptom I’ve had is hard to describe. I can only describe it as sensory disturbances (sudden dropping sensation, random waves of pulling sensation in the body, especially in neck, almost dizzy feeling when I turn my eyes that last less than a second throughout the day). This symptom used to happen maybe once a day, but since July it became more and more frequent, and sometimes I feel like I’m almost floating/not grounded. I decided to reinstate on August 14 because my doctor thought it was my anxiety relapsing, which was partially true since I did feel my anxiety creeping back. However, I had never had such sensory disturbances/fatigue/insomnia before I got on Zoloft, even on my worst days.

After I reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft, I thought it helped with the dizziness/sensory disturbances in the first 2-3 weeks, but they slowly came back. It also started giving me bad insomnia after week 3 (worse than before reinstatement) and burning sensation in my back at random times of the day. Although my mood has been better and I feel like I have more energy, I also feel more anxious with a lot of mood swings. 

I apologize for the long post. I have a few questions that I was hoping you’d be able to answer: 

1. Should I hold my current dose (12.5mg) given that it didn’t help with my withdrawal symptoms and caused side effects that aren’t going away? If it’s safe to taper off, how fast can I get off?

2. Are the sensory disturbances withdrawal symptoms? Why do I feel like they only got worse as time went by? I also have a brain MRI scan scheduled soon just to rule things out.

Thanks in advance!

March 2015 - started Zoloft. 25mg for a week then 50mg with minimal side effects; missed a dose here and there but never had issue reinstating

August 2017 - tapered off 50mg Zoloft in two weeks, reinstated two weeks later due to anxiety; did not have issue going back on 50mg

May 2021 - cold turkeyed Zoloft; went back on 25mg (50mg every other day) with no issue

November 2022 - tapered off 25mg in three weeks (12.5mg for two weeks and then 6.25mg for a week). Withdrawal started.

August 14 2023 - reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft due to protracted withdrawal

September 28 2023 - reduced to 11.5mg Zoloft due to adverse reaction 

• match changed the title to match: Zoloft reinstatement didn’t work - hold or taper off?

Hi @match and welcome to SA,

On 10/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, match said:

However, some of them symptoms never went away to this day, such as fatigue and insomnia, although they did start getting better over time.

It sounds like you may be experiencing The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

On 10/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, match said:

Are the sensory disturbances withdrawal symptoms? Why do I feel like they only got worse as time went by? I also have a brain MRI scan scheduled soon just to rule things out.

Symptoms tend to ebb and flow and change over time, so they could certainly be WD symptoms, but it sounds like you're trying to rule out other causes, which isn't a bad thing. 

Unfortunately, reinstatement isn't always a guarantee and is best done soon after stopping your drug. Since you have been on and off zoloft for many years, you may have become sensitized to the drug, meaning a dose that once worked, may now be too much for your brain.

Please read About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Overall, do you feel like your symptoms are better or worse?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Hi, thanks for your reply! Overall I think it helped a little bit, but I think it might be too high of a dose for me since it’s been 8 weeks and I’m struggling to stabilize and still having side effects (insomnia and worsened anxiety). I’m wondering if I could reduce the dose and try stabilizing on a lower one to see if it works better. Do I still need to reduce 10% a month after being only on it for 8 weeks?

Edited by LotusRising

March 2015 - started Zoloft. 25mg for a week then 50mg with minimal side effects; missed a dose here and there but never had issue reinstating

August 2017 - tapered off 50mg Zoloft in two weeks, reinstated two weeks later due to anxiety; did not have issue going back on 50mg

May 2021 - cold turkeyed Zoloft; went back on 25mg (50mg every other day) with no issue

November 2022 - tapered off 25mg in three weeks (12.5mg for two weeks and then 6.25mg for a week). Withdrawal started.

• Administrator

Hello, @match. If I were you, I might try 11.5mg Zoloft, using the liquid formulation. After stabilizing for a good while, you could taper off by tiny amounts.

Please let us know how you're doing. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata thanks for your reply! If 11.5mg doesn’t work, how fast can I get off? My depression anxiety and insomnia has been worse than ever these past few days and I really think my body is just rejecting Zoloft this time around…

• Administrator

Are you taking 11.5mg? When did you start it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata thanks for your reply. I only started this past Sunday so I don’t think it has to do with the reduction in dose. The mood swings have honestly been pretty bad in the past few weeks. On good days I feel like the reinstatement is working but then on bad days I feel worse than ever (with crying and suicidal ideation). How long do you recommend waiting before deciding if reinstatement is working? If it doesn’t work and side effects persist, should I still do the 10% per month taper?

• Administrator

If you reduced to 11.5mg only 2 days ago, there hasn't been enough time for the decrease to fully register.

Insomnia and "mood swings" with waves and windows of other symptoms are classic withdrawal syndrome.

How do you feel now compared to how you felt in July, before you reinstated Zoloft?

@Altostrata my mood and energy levels are better on good days and worse on bad days. I also have worse insomnia and anxiety now with more headaches. I feel like I probably shouldn’t have reinstated and now im worried I’ll never be able to stabilize and holding will just do more damage to my brain…

• Administrator

If you hadn't reinstated, you'd probably be here with withdrawal syndrome worrying that maybe you should have reinstated.

If overall you're doing better, that would be the natural course of stabilization.

• 3 weeks later...

That’s such a good mindset @Altostrata and I’m trying to remind myself of that every time I feel bad, so thank you!

It’s been almost a month since I reduced the dose. I think the dizziness feeling has been a little better, but my anxiety is even worse now I feel. Insomnia is also sometimes better sometimes worse. I feel like I’m having a hard time stabilizing and I’m wondering if I should try a lower dose. How long do people typically take to stabilize on a reinstatement dose?

• Administrator

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? 

What times of day are these symptoms most intense?

I take 11.5mg Zoloft around 7:30 in the morning. The anxiety and burning sensation happens randomly throughout the day. I never had the burning sensation before I reinstated, but I would say it’s the most intense 3-6 hours after I take my medicine

• Administrator

Do you feel better on 11.5mg? Please update your signature.

It is the nature of withdrawal symptoms to come and go and change into other withdrawal symptoms in The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

• 1 month later...

I’ve been battling with what I believe is protracted withdrawal from Sertraline for a year now. However, one symptom that I’m not sure if is withdrawal-related is unrefreshing sleep. I wake up tired almost every day, sometimes like I haven’t slept a minute. I read that unrefreshing sleep is a classic symptom of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I am really worried that I might have it. Some days I feel fatigued all day with pressure behind eyes that makes me dizzy. Has anyone else had similar experience? How long did it take for your sleep to return to normal?

• LotusRising changed the title to match: Zoloft reinstatement didn’t work - hold or taper off?

Hi @match,

I moved your topic over here to your thread, as we already have several topics for sleep where you might find an answer to your question.

I can tell you that I've been dealing with this very same issue. Are you sleeping straight through the night?

While it's a classic symptom of CFS, it's very common in WD as well. There's no way to know for sure, however, if you did not have CFS prior to psych drugs and/or tapering, you can assume this is something that will go away in time when your sleep cycle normalizes. I had that same sense of pressure behind my eyes, where I felt forced to lie down and close my eyes, even if I'd had a decent night's sleep. I've noticed just recently that my fatigue is starting to improve, but it has taken much longer than I ever would have thought. I try to help myself along by staying consistent with daily light movement, strict sleep hygiene (most of the time), eating well and drinking lots of water. 

I hope some of this info in these topics will help:

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

@LotusRising thanks for your reply! I’ve rarely been able to sleep through the night since I got off Zoloft, maybe 5 nights in the past year. I never used to have fatigue or sleep problems before & while I was on Zoloft. Reinstatement has definitely made my sleep even worse because it tends to make me feel wired, even though I take it in the morning. I’ve had good days where I felt almost normal and bad days with crushing fatigue (lately more after busy days). How long did it take for your sleep to return to normal?

My sleep has followed the windows and waves pattern, so it's still pretty irregular. I've had weeks at a time where I slept straight through, but am currently in a pattern where I wake 2-3 times/night. I track my sleep with a fitbit, so I can see a general trend of more deep, restorative sleep, even with waking, but it's still below what is considered optimal. I suspect there is a hormonal component to my sleep pattern, so I can't say for sure my issues are completely WD-related. Are you practicing good sleep hygiene? Do you get early morning light? Daily movement? These things seem trivial, but together, they can really make a difference in resetting a good circadian rhythm. 

Yes I have been trying to be better with sleep hygiene, and I want to start using light box soon. I was exercising pretty intensely for a few months (30 minutes cardio or 1 hour weight lifting 6 times a week) and I’m wondering if it’s too taxing on my body and contributing to the bad fatigue and slow healing. What are your thoughts?

@match

Do you feel good and energized after you exercise? Or do you feel worse, and tired? Really intense exercise also raises cortisol, so it could potentially contribute to sleep issues. 

I hit a point post-taper where I thought I was okay to start lifting weights again, so I went "all in" with weights and walking. I found out the hard way it was too much for me. I think I set myself back by doing too much too soon so I've since backed off and am only doing yoga now.

If I could suggest anything, it would be to listen to your body - if it's telling you to slow down, heed the advice. Our bodies are going through a lot right now and it takes a tremendous amount of energy to reverse everything the drug has done. Just try to keep that in perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! I do feel better after exercise, but it doesn’t last long (usually a few hours) and I get more tired the night of.

By the way, I have been taking magnesium glycinate before bed for the past week (200mg, with 30mg magnesium), and I noticed that I still wake up a bunch at night, but it’s harder for me to wake up in the morning, and I feel groggy and tired the entire next day with pressure behind eyes. Could it be the magnesium? 

Personally, I haven’t heard of this happening and it hasn’t been my experience, but what I’ve seen here is that we’re all affected differently. You could certainly try stopping it for a few days to see if it makes a difference. 

Thank you for your reply! I recently developed some new symptoms and I’m not sure if they are withdrawal related:

1. Muscles get easily sore from exercise

2. knee and calf muscle pain

3. Limbs easily go numb at night when I’m sleeping

Are these common withdrawal symptoms? They tend to come and go and I haven’t noticed a pattern (for example some days I could be more fatigued but muscles are less sore). Could some of but not all the WD symptoms worsen during a wave?

@match

4 hours ago, match said:

1. Muscles get easily sore from exercise

2. knee and calf muscle pain

3. Limbs easily go numb at night when I’m sleeping

Yes, these can all be withdrawal related. I've had them all.

I found there wasn't really a pattern to my symptoms. One day I could be just fine, and the next hit with a symptom I'd had a number of months ago. But yes, all the symptoms you listed here, are very common. 

Any time you have a new symptom, you could have a quick look on the site. You're likely to find someone who can relate. 

See this post for how to do a site search:

• 2 months later...

Hi @LotusRising hope you are doing well. I have a question about my experience with Zoloft. Ever since I reinstated, I feel like every day I can feel the meds kick in. For example, about an hour after I take my dose in the morning I start feeling more energetic, and then I usually feel the best early afternoon. Although the side effects I get also worsen as the day go by, such as back burning feeling. After dinner is when I start feeling worse (dizzy, worsened orthostatic hypotension, and weird tingly/warm feeling in the brain). Is this common? What do you think might be the cause?

Hi @match

20 hours ago, match said:

I feel like every day I can feel the meds kick in.

I had this too. Very odd sensation, but I don't think anything to worry about. 

20 hours ago, match said:

After dinner is when I start feeling worse (dizzy, worsened orthostatic hypotension, and weird tingly/warm feeling in the brain). Is this common?

Is this new? What has been your tapering rate? - it looks like you last reduced in Sept 23?

Although zoloft has a decently long half-life, I wonder if you would feel better dividing the dose to twice daily?