Farm24: Twitching, muscle tension, heavy body

Hello.  New here.  I started Lexapro towards the end of June 2023.  I was on 2.5 mg for two weeks.  5 for two weeks. 7.5 for two weeks and 10 for 6 weeks before I started tapering off.  I tapered off under doctors recs. I didn't know any better.  

While I was on the drug I had this awful heavy body feeling and muscle tension.  Whenever I would go up the next dose I would have hyperreflexia and my joints would just twitch at night while trying to fall asleep.  

I've been off 3 and a half months. The first 3 weeks I was about getting back to normal.  I went and got botox one day, and I don't know if it was the botox or if it would have happened anyway but i fell hard into withdrawl. Oddly on the meds and on my bad days, I notice my joints don't crack like they normally do.  It's weird.  My blood pressure for three weeks in December was insane. It would go into the high 40s and then shoot up into the 70s.  That seems to be stable now.  

Still dealing with the heavy body feeling.  Loss of sensation.  Muscle tension and sometimes twitching.   I had a few day window last week, where I felt almost 100 percent back to normal.  My dry eyes are killing me. 

Followed by today where I don't have much sensation on my arms or hands. My head feels 200 lbs. And I have extreme muscle tension in the back of my head. Are there even muscles there? How can that even hurt so bad.  

The cervical spine area seems to be the worst.  I went to PT to try and help, but I don't think it did anything.  

I see people that never recover and I just worry I will hit a wave and never come out. 

Sertaline- tried 50 mg beginning of June 2023. Caused hyperreflexia.  So stopped after one dose. Tried several smaller doses that month.  Had burning and twitching so just stopped. 

Lexapro

June of 2023' 2.5 mg for two weeks 

July of 2023 5 mg for two weeks

July of 2023 7.5 mg for 2 weeks

August to mid September 10 mg

Mid September reduced to 7.5

October to October 15 reduced to 5

October 15 to October 30 reduced to 2.5 

October 30-off

• KenA changed the title to mingo26: Twitching, muscle tension, heavy body
  • Administrator

Welcome @Farm24

On 2/3/2024 at 1:31 AM, mingo26 said:

I tapered off under doctors recs. I didn't know any better. 

This happens to most of us. This is the way that people seem to succeed with their taper: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When you taper faster than 10%, you are likely to experience WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

I went and got botox one day, and I don't know if it was the botox or if it would have happened anyway but i fell hard into withdrawl.

I am uncertain of the potential impact of this. I can confirm that recovery follows an up-and-down process: Windows and waves pattern of stabilization

I just worry I will hit a wave and never come out. 

Many of us can relate to that. You will come out of it with time and patience.

A few helpful links for you to read:

Emotional Spirals

Non-drug coping strategies

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. Add one at a time and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Avoid alcohol. 

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May  1.83mg,

Thank you.  

I have been taken magensium as needed at night for the muscle tension.  Is it important to take daily instead?  

What causes this muscle tension in withdrawl? The brain?  Or the nerves? I'm just so confused. 

Since i CT is it likely I will always have this?  Or do most people heal?

Sertaline- tried 50 mg beginning of June 2023. Caused hyperreflexia.  So stopped after one dose. Tried several smaller doses that month.  Had burning and twitching so just stopped. 

Lexapro

October 30-off

Also, do you see people having negative effects from ibuprofin or tylenol?

Lexapro

October 30-off

Sorry, one more thing I forgot to add.  After I got the botox, I came down with sinusitis, but it was weird because I didn't feel like I had a cold. Just inflammation in all my sinuses. My ENT put me on 30 days of antibiotic.  My symptoms on the antibiotic were awful. Insanely awful.  Does an antibiotic also effect your nervous system?

Ok. I think I'm done posting for today.  🤣🤣

Lexapro

October 30-off

One of my concerns from reading through these posts are that most people have these symptoms from withdrawl!  Mine were around from June to mid August while I was on the meds. The side effects only went away when I took a steroid.  Does that mean I have likely damaged my brain?

Lexapro

October 30-off

@Emonda. My muscle tension was so bad last night I could sleep. It honestly makes me nauseous.  I have been taking a daily multi vitamin and my birth control and a zyrtec for years. Should I cut that out or keep it?

Lexapro

October 30-off

• 2 weeks later...

@Emonda I am reading thru forums.  I currently have muscle tension in my neck/head/back. It comes on fierce.  It looks like a lot of people never have it go away.  I'm incredibly worried I will be stuck like this forever.  

Lexapro

October 30-off

25 minutes ago, mingo26 said:

@Emonda I am reading thru forums.  I currently have muscle tension in my neck/head/back. It comes on fierce.  It looks like a lot of people never have it go away.  I'm incredibly worried I will be stuck like this forever.  

It's highly unnlikely the muscle tension will last forever. I have experienced terrible muscle tension in my neck and back that has improved massively over the last 6-12 months.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

@ErimusThank you. It effects my sleep and I worry that will effect my withdrawl even more.  This seems to be the last of my withdrawl symptoms, but it almost seems to be getting worse.  Maybe because the numbness has gone away.  

Lexapro

October 30-off

I have noticed that as my mental clarity improves I get more and more frustrated with my physical pain. I haven't been able to sleep on my right side for around 9 months because of the neck pain, but I can tolerate it a bit more now.

I know it's frustrating but in terms of psychiatric medication adverse reactions and withdrawal, you are still in the early stages at just under 3 months drug free.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

10 minutes ago, Erimus said:

It's highly unnlikely the muscle tension will last forever. I have experienced terrible muscle tension in my neck and back that has improved massively over the last 6-12 months.

How long did the muscle tension last for you?  I'm four months out.  

Lexapro

October 30-off

11 minutes ago, Erimus said:

I have noticed that as my mental clarity improves I get more and more frustrated with my physical pain. I haven't been able to sleep on my right side for around 9 months because of the neck pain, but I can tolerate it a bit more now.

I know it's frustrating but in terms of psychiatric medication adverse reactions and withdrawal, you are still in the early stages at just under 3 months drug free.

Yes. That is what is exactly happening here.  The physical pain is worse because I am more cognate 

Lexapro

October 30-off

33 minutes ago, mingo26 said:

How long did the muscle tension last for you?  I'm four months out.  

It is ongoing but the severe tension in my neck and back is much better than it was 6-9 months ago. You cannot compare because each of us reacts differently to the drugs, and I am also still taking them.

26 minutes ago, mingo26 said:

Yes. That is what is exactly happening here.  The physical pain is worse because I am more cognate 

It sounds counterintuitive but gentle exercise is one of the best things you can do for the severe tension. It may feel awful but walking 20-30 mins each day can really help to slowly stretch the muscles. We become severely rigid and immobile in withdrawal, which turns into a feedback loop because we stop going outside.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

1 minute ago, Erimus said:

It is ongoing but the severe tension in my neck and back is much better than it was 6-9 months ago. You cannot compare because each of us reacts differently to the drugs, and I am also still taking them.

It sounds counterintuitive but gentle exercise is one of the best things you can do for the severe tension. It may feel awful but walking 20-30 mins each day can really help to slowly stretch the muscles. We become severely rigid and immobile in withdrawal, which turns into a feedback loop because we stop going outside.

That makes sense. I have been walking daily.  I try stretching but it doesn't seem to help when the tension is THIS bad

Lexapro

October 30-off

21 minutes ago, mingo26 said:

That makes sense. I have been walking daily.  I try stretching but it doesn't seem to help when the tension is THIS bad

Unfortunately only time can cure the nervous system dysregulation which leads to all the symptoms. Just try and remember the muscle tension is caused by the changes and damage the drugs created.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

2 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Unfortunately only time can cure the nervous system dysregulation which leads to all the symptoms. Just try and remember the muscle tension is caused by the changes and damage the drugs created.

Thank you. Did you ever take tylenol? I'm so nervous now about taking anything. I have taken it and sometimes it takes the edge off.  

I really appreciate you responding. I feel so hopeless.  I don't think I ever really adjusted to the meds? The side effects were awful, so I tapered way too fast and it probably made every single thing worse.  

For months I couldn't feel the cold or heat, I had no signs of my old personality.  Now I just cry all of the time, because I have part of my brain back and I know this isn't good. 

Lexapro

October 30-off

4 minutes ago, mingo26 said:

Thank you. Did you ever take tylenol? I'm so nervous now about taking anything. I have taken it and sometimes it takes the edge off.

I don't take any painkillers, there's not much point as the issue for me is nervous system related.

5 minutes ago, mingo26 said:

I really appreciate you responding. I feel so hopeless.  I don't think I ever really adjusted to the meds? The side effects were awful, so I tapered way too fast and it probably made every single thing worse.  

For months I couldn't feel the cold or heat, I had no signs of my old personality.  Now I just cry all of the time, because I have part of my brain back and I know this isn't good.

I wouldn't punish yourself for choosing to quickly taper a drug that was quite clearly causing adverse effects. I often wish I had done the same in the months following starting sertraline, before it got to this point now.

Although you still feel terrible, being drug free means you don't have to worry about whether you should increase, decrease, or hold your dose. The equilibrium your body is working towards is your true self, and you only have to recover once.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

3 minutes ago, Erimus said:

I don't take any painkillers, there's not much point as the issue for me is nervous system related.

I wouldn't punish yourself for choosing to quickly taper a drug that was quite clearly causing adverse effects. I often wish I had done the same in the months following starting sertraline, before it got to this point now.

Although you still feel terrible, being drug free means you don't have to worry about whether you should increase, decrease, or hold your dose. The equilibrium your body is working towards is your true self, and you only have to recover once.

Thank you. That was helpful. I have so many regrets about taking it. 

Lexapro

October 30-off

1 hour ago, mingo26 said:

Thank you. That was helpful. I have so many regrets about taking it. 

Don't punish yourself too much. What's done is done.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Don't punish yourself too much. What's done is done.

When I first started the meds, I had extreme muscle tension in my back.  I was told it was anxiety. I disagreed, because my only issue at that time was I had sleep issues.  They said, sometimes we dont have anxious thoughts, our body just responds. So I upped my dose and upped my dose until I had no emotions and even worse muscle tension.  I will never let some talk me into a diagnosis again. 

Lexapro

October 30-off

• Emonda changed the title to Farm24: Twitching, muscle tension, heavy body

Just updating, if even for others who may have these symptoms.  

When I was on lex the entire time I dealt with a heavy body feeling.  People kept saying it would go away. Surprise it didn't.  It has been gone a couple weeks.  I thought I kicked it but nope.  It is back in full force. I feel 500 lbs.  Someone online suggested it is a circulatory issue and I think maybe they are right.   It is worse when I'm sitting.  Lying down or walking seem to make it better. But it is hard to get started walking, my legs feel like they are cement.  

Lexapro

October 30-off

I visited a neurologist today. She thinks all my physical symptoms ( numbness, low blood pressure, heavy body feeling, inability to sweat) are all because of anxiety. She suggested getting back on an antidepressant. It is unreal

Lexapro

October 30-off

Heavy body is gone today.  Someone suggested it is my muscles not contracting right and I think they might be right. It feels exactly like a muscle relaxer I used years ago.  It's an exhausting feeling.  Dry eyes are back again today.  I wonder how my body will know how to go back to normal?  I really have no emotional symptoms. No anxiety. Depression only sets in when I have painful physical symptoms.  Makes me sad I can't be the energetic Mom to my kids like normal. 

Lexapro

October 30-off

I really want off this ride. I had the muscle contraction so hard yesterday.  I was in so much pain.  I've barely slept the last two nights. Last night I had twitches so bad my head and legs would lift off the bed.  It is as bad as it was when I started the drug.  Makes me wonder if I have done some permanent damage.  How can my body recover from the twitching?  

Lexapro

October 30-off

1 hour ago, Farm24 said:

I really want off this ride. I had the muscle contraction so hard yesterday.  I was in so much pain.  I've barely slept the last two nights. Last night I had twitches so bad my head and legs would lift off the bed.  It is as bad as it was when I started the drug.  Makes me wonder if I have done some permanent damage.  How can my body recover from the twitching?  

As unnerving as it is they are simply a sign of nervous system instability/dysfunction. Try to think of it as healing each time you experience symptoms. Your body is trying something that doesn't work, so it presents with symptoms, before readjusting and trying again.

I think everyone goes through the stage of wondering if they have caused "permanent damage". It passes.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

11 minutes ago, Erimus said:

As unnerving as it is they are simply a sign of nervous system instability/dysfunction. Try to think of it as healing each time you experience symptoms. Your body is trying something that doesn't work, so it presents with symptoms, before readjusting and trying again.

I think everyone goes through the stage of wondering if they have caused "permanent damage". It passes.

You are right.  How have you been feeling.  Been thinking of you and hoping you see some sort of window

Lexapro

October 30-off

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Farm24 said:

You are right.  How have you been feeling.  Been thinking of you and hoping you see some sort of window

Much of the same. I have a high pain tolerance, which is a good and a bad thing. Good in the sense that I can cope, bad in the sense that I should have acted much sooner to stop it. I am seeking solutions now, as I know I can't continue avoiding the messages my body is sending me.

Like all things, however, time usually corrects them. In 1, 2, or 5 years, things will have changed. Many will have moved on, and most here now will be healed. Always remember that.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

4 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Much of the same. I have a high pain tolerance, which is a good and a bad thing. Good in the sense that I can cope, bad in the sense that I should have acted much sooner to stop it. I am seeking solutions now, as I know I can't continue avoiding the messages my body is sending me.

Like all things, however, time usually corrects them. In 1, 2, or 5 years, things will have changed. Many will have moved on, and most here now will be healed. Always remember that.

Same here.  I also looked on reddit at each symptoms and people said it would go away. Why would I listen?

Lexapro

October 30-off

2 minutes ago, Farm24 said:

Same here.  I also looked on reddit at each symptoms and people said it would go away. Why would I listen?

Don't read the subreddits about antidepressants and such. They don't help with anything but fear. Trust me, I've been on them many moons ago.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

1 minute ago, Erimus said:

Don't read the subreddits about antidepressants and such. They don't help with anything but fear. Trust me, I've been on them many moons ago.

How did you know what I sat and did all day. I really don't have any emotional symptoms, but it did break me down today.  

Lexapro

October 30-off

5 minutes ago, Farm24 said:

Did you ever get the burning or numbness?

Lexapro

October 30-off

10 hours ago, Farm24 said:

Did you ever get the burning or numbness?

No. Everyone tends to get slightly different symptoms, though. 

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

This pain is insanity.   I barely get four hours of sleep.  I'm so exhausted.  But every minute of the day right now is pain.  

What if the body thinks homeostasis is pain?

Lexapro

October 30-off

8 hours ago, Farm24 said:

What if the body thinks homeostasis is pain?

That’s not the way it works. Your brain is trying to recover from the absence of Lexapro. Homeostasis is how you felt before medication.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

4 hours ago, Erimus said:

That’s not the way it works. Your brain is trying to recover from the absence of Lexapro. Homeostasis is how you felt before medication.

Yeah.  My brain is an idiot when it doesn't feel well

Lexapro

October 30-off