AAOffZ: Coming off Sert

I took 25 mg Zoloft about 12 years ago for just a few weeks. Decided it wasn’t for me.

“Officially” started Zoloft 7 years ago for the first time for post-partum anxiety. I was a mess. Jumping at every little movement of things, miserable and anxious. I actually had an elevated TSH with my first pregnancy so that definitely could have contributed to my anxiety/arousal post partum. Now I have been on and off Z throughout those years to some degree or another for anxiety that is triggered by health-ocd.

Feeling good this year during a busy work season, I reduced my 100 mg dose to 75 in October. Didn’t feel any different. Until I started getting low iron symptoms or so I thought (weak and shaky legs, shortness of breath, cheat pain). These were anxiety symptoms that I took for iron deficiency. So instead of getting anxiety under control, I took a BOAT LOAD of iron. I had had iron definitely in the past so I thought I knew what I needed. Also increased my Zoloft back up to 100 in November. 

But had an anxiety relapse on 100 mg (Dec 2023). Had iron levels tested. They were beyond fine (even highish ferritin). Looking back, it was likely side effects from upping from 75 to 100 that caused the anxiety. So naturally, didn’t feel well, so I increased to 125 and never got better. Started therapy during this time. Went up to 150 after 125 didn’t work. Each increase made me horrifically worse. Boarderline psychosis (this was in February). Started buspar 2.5 mg 3x per day. Thank heavens, I never went up on the buspar. (my GP confused side effects for anxiety) Reduced to 125 for a week the same day I began buspar. Then down to 100 one week after 125. Sat at 100 mg for 4 weeks. 

Started to feel more stable after 2 weeks at 100. But then became erratic with my buspar dosing (it also likely just starting to “work” which was likely too much medicine with the 100 mg Zoloft). Started getting withdrawal from buspar, but confused it for Sertonin syndrome. Then stopped the Buspar cold turkey approx. 2 weeks ago today (March 22). 

Had 3+ days of INTENSE withdrawal. Tremors, extreme anxiety, and feeling blank in my head. Had a few “normal days” then was having random bouts of anxiety and bad days, so I thought my Zoloft dose was still too high (stupid). Thankfully only went down to 87.5. 

Currrently tappered down to 87.5. Most recent taper was from 100 to 87.5 5 days ago. Many of my psychosis-like symptoms went away after coming down from 150. But then the withdrawal hit. Ive been experiencing many severe withdrawal symptoms intermittently throughout dose these past med changes including waves of brain fog, fatigue, exaggerated fears, feeling “flat,” intense anxiety over daily tasks, tremors, twitching and dizziness. 

Doing the work for my health OCD in therapy. Planning to come off with a slow taper in the next year or two. Tips welcome! I haven’t begun tapering as I just officially this week have been “saved” by SA. I have no idea where to begin even after reading the tapering guide. But I’m off to go read it again. 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

Off Zoloft for second pregnancy (2019)
Back to Zoloft 75 mg (Sept 2019)

Down to 25 mg for third pregnancy (2020)

50-> 75 mg ->100 mg (Jan 2023)

Felt good for long while so reduced to 75.
Back up to 100 after some symptoms of anxiety

125 (Dec 2023) didn’t help so->150 (Feb 2024) Horrible reaction (almost psychosis) 
Doc suggested lowering Z and adding buspar. Started 2.5 mg 3x per day same day at going down to 125 mg Z.  then to 100 a week later. 
Found SA, stopped the madness.
(April 2024)87.5 mg Z and holding 

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

1 hour ago, AAOffZ said:
I took 25 mg Zoloft about 12 years ago for just a few weeks. Decided it wasn’t for me.

“Officially” started Zoloft 7 years ago for the first time for post-partum anxiety. I was a mess. Jumping at every little movement of things, miserable and anxious. I actually had an elevated TSH with my first pregnancy so that definitely could have contributed to my anxiety/arousal post partum. Now I have been on and off Z throughout those years to some degree or another for anxiety that is triggered by health-ocd.

Feeling good this year during a busy work season, I reduced my 100 mg dose to 75 in October. Didn’t feel any different. Until I started getting low iron symptoms or so I thought (weak and shaky legs, shortness of breath, cheat pain). These were anxiety symptoms that I took for iron deficiency. So instead of getting anxiety under control, I took a BOAT LOAD of iron. I had had iron definitely in the past so I thought I knew what I needed. Also increased my Zoloft back up to 100 in November. 

But had an anxiety relapse on 100 mg (Dec 2023). Had iron levels tested. They were beyond fine (even highish ferritin). Looking back, it was likely side effects from upping from 75 to 100 that caused the anxiety. So naturally, didn’t feel well, so I increased to 125 and never got better. Started therapy during this time. Went up to 150 after 125 didn’t work. Each increase made me horrifically worse. Boarderline psychosis (this was in February). Started buspar 2.5 mg 3x per day. Thank heavens, I never went up on the buspar. (my GP confused side effects for anxiety) Reduced to 125 for a week the same day I began buspar. Then down to 100 one week after 125. Sat at 100 mg for 4 weeks. 

Started to feel more stable after 2 weeks at 100. But then became erratic with my buspar dosing (it also likely just starting to “work” which was likely too much medicine with the 100 mg Zoloft). Started getting withdrawal from buspar, but confused it for Sertonin syndrome. Then stopped the Buspar cold turkey approx. 2 weeks ago today (March 22). 

Had 3+ days of INTENSE withdrawal. Tremors, extreme anxiety, and feeling blank in my head. Had a few “normal days” then was having random bouts of anxiety and bad days, so I thought my Zoloft dose was still too high (stupid). Thankfully only went down to 87.5. 

Currrently tappered down to 87.5. Most recent taper was from 100 to 87.5 5 days ago. Many of my psychosis-like symptoms went away after coming down from 150. But then the withdrawal hit. Ive been experiencing many severe withdrawal symptoms intermittently throughout dose these past med changes including waves of brain fog, fatigue, exaggerated fears, feeling “flat,” intense anxiety over daily tasks, tremors, twitching and dizziness. 

Doing the work for my health OCD in therapy. Planning to come off with a slow taper in the next year or two. Tips welcome! I haven’t begun tapering as I just officially this week have been “saved” by SA. I have no idea where to begin even after reading the tapering guide. But I’m off to go read it again. 

What your brain and nervous system needs right now is an extended period of stability with your sertraline dose. Things will settle down as long as you remain patient and don't make any more drug/dose changes. You are in the right place now you have discovered the forum.

Please continue to read as much as you can, and prepare yourself for when the time is right to begin a taper. With proper tapering you should not experience the same extreme fluctuations that you have done recently.

Regards

Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Thanks for the response! That was my plan. To hold. A few questions…

1. I am horrible at math and anything related to measurements. I just bought a scale today and to my huge surprise, all the random cuts I’ve made and not measured are so all over the place. I know better do better, right? In regards to that, is it okay to be .005 mg off in doses. Or should they be EXACT. 

2. I am experiencing waves and windows (already). Short and often only lasts half a day or so. Wondering if and when I think I’m stabilized, how do I know I won’t experience a huge WD hit from my huge taper from 150-100. Perhaps I’m experiencing that now?

3. Lastly, as far as buspar is concerned. Have you seen a pattern similar to SSRI with late withdrawal hitting weeks after. 

Thank you for your time 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

125 (Dec 2023) didn’t help so->150 (Feb 2024) Horrible reaction (almost psychosis) 
Doc suggested lowering Z and adding buspar. Started 2.5 mg 3x per day same day at going down to 125 mg Z.  then to 100 a week later. 

• KenA changed the title to AAOffZ: Coming off Sert
3 hours ago, AAOffZ said:

1. I am horrible at math and anything related to measurements. I just bought a scale today and to my huge surprise, all the random cuts I’ve made and not measured are so all over the place. I know better do better, right? In regards to that, is it okay to be .005 mg off in doses. Or should they be EXACT.

I like to be 0.001mg either side of the value I'm aiming for. Then I either add or remove a tiny crumb and put the lid on the cap. If you aim for absolute perfection it will take forever. The scales are also not completely accurate, it is just something we have to accept,

2. I am experiencing waves and windows (already). Short and often only lasts half a day or so. Wondering if and when I think I’m stabilized, how do I know I won’t experience a huge WD hit from my huge taper from 150-100. Perhaps I’m experiencing that now?

You just need to keep holding until all the chaos irons itself out. You weren't on 150mg for too long before dropping back down, so hopefully it won't cause too many issues. Just keep holding for a good few months and then reassess.

3. Lastly, as far as buspar is concerned. Have you seen a pattern similar to SSRI with late withdrawal hitting weeks after.

You can get delayed withdrawal with all these drugs. All the changes you made will have an impact on your system that will need resolved as you hold. The hardest part is managing the variance in symptom intensity over the coming weeks as you stabilise.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

What, exactly, do you mean by this! 

The hardest part is managing the variance in symptom intensity over the coming weeks as you stabilise” as in dealing with the waves and windows over the next couple of weeks?

Sorry, I came back. I have this intense worry that the anxiety I’m feeling is going to prevent me from stabilizing. Does that make sense? 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

1 hour ago, AAOffZ said:

What, exactly, do you mean by this! 

The hardest part is managing the variance in symptom intensity over the coming weeks as you stabilise” as in dealing with the waves and windows over the next couple of weeks?

I mean that the hardest part is dealing with the fluctuation in symptoms as your nervous system stabilises.

1 hour ago, AAOffZ said:

Sorry, I came back. I have this intense worry that the anxiety I’m feeling is going to prevent me from stabilizing. Does that make sense?

I don't think that is physiologically likely. You will stabilise, and when you do you will be better able to differentiate between what is your actual anxiety, and what was withdrawal induced.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Hi @Erimus!

Me again! I am quickly seeing an improvement of my WD symptoms from my last drop (100 -> 87.5). Was a very rough 6 days. The intense anxiety being the worst of it. I feel mostly okay in the evenings and that’s when my appetite returns on my super awful days (right before I take my dose). Is there a reason behind this? Currently, I am only having moments of anxiety during the day and then they pass and I can think rationally again. (Just like you said, the chemical anxiety definitely has a more profound effect, and I can mostly tell the difference). 

I am currently worried about kindling and paradoxical effect having happened to me having gone up and down so fast. Is this likely? And it being the reason behind feeling better right before my dose. Not sure if I should be worried about that or not. 

lastly, should I continue to hold even if I continue to stabilize quickly? Thanks. 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

One more question. I did consult the guides. Can I weigh cut pills without crushing? 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

Is it common to have horrible minutes??? Like randomly feel awful for 10 minutes? Or extremely good moments that you feel basically normal? 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

8 minutes ago, AAOffZ said:

Is it common to have horrible minutes??? Like randomly feel awful for 10 minutes? Or extremely good moments that you feel basically normal? 

I don't have any stats on this, but I relate to both. I had sudden feelings of intense terror out of nowhere both in the house and in town. It really did last just a few minutes, sometimes even under a minute and left me wondering both what I did wrong and what I did right. These are likely just spontaneous CNS fireworks that may be triggered by some hidden traumatic associations or maybe they're related to healing. In all cases this is hypersensitive nervous system and no point in validating such bombs. Best not to be afraid of it, just accept it and focus on something else without attributing any emotions to such experiences. I know it's tempting to examine it, but this will only encourage mind to pull you into vicious cycle. Don't worry, it won't harm you and if you develop a habbit of ignoring it, it will be less and less intense until your brain gets the message that such storms serve you in no way, eliminating them completely. As for the extremely good moments, the mood keeps fluctuating. Once your organism finds balance it moves to recover something else. You're all good and what you experience is completely expected.

22.10.2020 sertraline (50 upped to 100mg for two months) and pregabalin (150mg for half year)

2021 mirtazapine (30mg for some months), amitryptyline (cascading dose but doctor took me off it before reaching five tablets), olanzapine (5mg), lithium (this one I reacted to terribly as well, maybe due to my Hashimoto disease)

2022 duloxetine, reboxetine, venlafaxine (all unsuccessful attemps stopped after one day with no side effects following days, only reboxetine pushed through with one box)

2023 mainly bupropion (150mg stopped after few weeks, 300mg stopped after few another weeks, 150mg stopped after few months) until IAR, buspirone (5mg) tried for 3 days 

autumn 2023 - 150mg bupropion daily,

12.12.2023 - bupropion stopped,

16.12.2023 - 100mg sertraline,

18.12.2023 - 150mg bupropion,

19, 20 & 21.12.2023 - 150mg bupropion & 5mg buspirone,

Nothing ever since 21.12.2023.

On 4/5/2024 at 7:04 PM, AAOffZ said:

Hi @Erimus!

Me again! I am quickly seeing an improvement of my WD symptoms from my last drop (100 -> 87.5). Was a very rough 6 days. The intense anxiety being the worst of it. I feel mostly okay in the evenings and that’s when my appetite returns on my super awful days (right before I take my dose). Is there a reason behind this? Currently, I am only having moments of anxiety during the day and then they pass and I can think rationally again. (Just like you said, the chemical anxiety definitely has a more profound effect, and I can mostly tell the difference). 

I am currently worried about kindling and paradoxical effect having happened to me having gone up and down so fast. Is this likely? And it being the reason behind feeling better right before my dose. Not sure if I should be worried about that or not. 

lastly, should I continue to hold even if I continue to stabilize quickly? Thanks. 

@Erimus thoughts on these things? Also— weighing pills. Is this acceptable without crushing? 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

On 4/6/2024 at 12:04 AM, AAOffZ said:

Most people tend to feel somewhat better in the evenings. It might not be anything to do with it being just before you take your dose. Don't worry about "kindling" if you're not making any more changes.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:04 AM, AAOffZ said:

I would suggest holding 2-3 months beyond reaching stability. You're more likely to be succesful in tapering off if you start from a solid foundation.

22 hours ago, AAOffZ said:

@Erimus thoughts on these things? Also— weighing pills. Is this acceptable without crushing?

I prefer to crush my tablets into a fine powder with a pestle and mortar, before weighing into the capsules. It's easier to add and remove small quantities when it's in this form.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

@Erimus I’m struggling reading a lot of really dark stories of people in utter despair and it’s got me a little triggered. Any members that you know of, off hand whose symptoms have been more manageable whilst tapering? Or know someone who can point me to some members who, perhaps, haven’t CT’d and are managing their symptoms?

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AAOffZ said:

@Erimus I’m struggling reading a lot of really dark stories of people in utter despair and it’s got me a little triggered. Any members that you know of, off hand whose symptoms have been more manageable whilst tapering? Or know someone who can point me to some members who, perhaps, haven’t CT’d and are managing their symptoms?

Quick solution to that is to stop reading the negative stories. Whilst you're stabilising the best thing you can do is not visit the site. Engross yourself in life and allow your body to work things out.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

That’s probably what I needed to hear. Thanks! 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

@Erimus

First of all, from the bottom of my heart. I went to thank you.. it just occurred to me that all of the people on here helping others are doing so because they’re wanting to save lives. And truly, that’s what you’re doing. I’m not sure where you are in your journey, but what an amazing purpose to be helping all these people. 

Secondly, what’s the general consensus on sauna use and also exercise guidelines? Sorry if I missed it in the guides. 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

8 hours ago, Erimus said:

Quick solution to that is to stop reading the negative stories. Whilst you're stabilising the best thing you can do is not visit the site. Engross yourself in life and allow your body to work things out.

That's true. I personally don't recommend people reading my withdrawal thread. It's pretty dark and heavy in trauma stuff. But I do it to document my case and it's definitely helping me as a diary but I would say that I don't think it's going to be useful for most people in withdrawal.

For withdrawal the advice I can give is starting documenting its symptoms, then sharing them with people, but also keeping in mind that maybe they could be trauma related, withdrawal community is not trauma informed for the most part so it makes people that have trauma stories loose a lot of time not being able to identify the withdrawal symptoms as traumatic feelings, emotions, trauma responses and trauma based mental and emotional states, etc. Sometimes when people stop taking these drugs they reconnect with all this, even if they call it just withdrawal. Sometimes it's just withdrawal. It depends of the person and how and when the psychiatric treatment started.

Mid Feb 2017 - Mid March 2017 0.25mg Sertraline

March 2017 - last months of 2019 0.50mg Sertraline

Last months of 2019 - tappering, cold turkey and reinstating multiple times, decided to not take it any longer (suffering unknown withdrawal)

April 2020 - end August 2020 - 0.50mg again, stopped cold turkey

Jan/Feb 2021 (Can't remember exactly) - 0.25mg or 0.50mg Sertraline for 1-3 weeks max

0.00mg since August 2020

@Gonzo, this makes a great deal of sense to me. I document all of my things in my phone, but I may update periodically on here more “officially.” I just can only hope that my story can help someone in my shoes someday. That I can come alongside someone and let them know they’re not crazy, and that these are all normal reactions to coming off meds. 

Secondly, I can understand how this can unsettle the dust of trauma. All of my past health fears that led me to take SSRIs in the first place has been brought heavily back to mind on several occasions as intrusive thoughts, almost as if I am battling it all over again. 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)

Yeah, and just in case I want to tell the same thing to you: you're not crazy. Your experiences are logical and meaningful, even if painful, they make sense.

Mid Feb 2017 - Mid March 2017 0.25mg Sertraline

March 2017 - last months of 2019 0.50mg Sertraline

Last months of 2019 - tappering, cold turkey and reinstating multiple times, decided to not take it any longer (suffering unknown withdrawal)

April 2020 - end August 2020 - 0.50mg again, stopped cold turkey

Jan/Feb 2021 (Can't remember exactly) - 0.25mg or 0.50mg Sertraline for 1-3 weeks max

0.00mg since August 2020

13 hours ago, AAOffZ said:

Secondly, what’s the general consensus on sauna use and also exercise guidelines? Sorry if I missed it in the guides. 

Personally I wouldn't use a sauna when in withdrawal, it can be intense. Exercise is generally suggested to be low intensity when in early withdrawal. You might find that as you settle more you're able to introduce higher intensity activity. When I was mobile I could get away with walking fine, but anything that increased heart rate too much led to unpleasant symptoms the next day.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Hi all. Wondering something as I’m still trying to figure out the whole stabilization thing and what my WD normal looks like. 

What things have you noticed have caused your to destabilize further while holding? For example, you’ve gotten yourself back together mostly.. getting ready to decrease again, and then something happens to you where you felt you were at square one with holding at that same dose longer. 

Lastly, did you feel it took longer or shorter to stabilize after said event as opposed to stabilizing after a drop. 

Hope this makes sense! 

Zoloft 25 mg (Jan 2016)

50 mg (Feb 2016)