Kymmichanel : i need help

Kymmichanel

Hello everyone my name is kym I’m new here and I’m hope I’m doing this right . Short story about my situation. In my teens (now 37) i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety but i was always able to handle it . My symptoms was a mind thing not physical. Fast forward to the end of FEB 2024 . I was struggling with gastro issues and i got really down  . I felt myself getting depressed so for some reason i asked my doctor for a picker upper and she gave me Zoloft 50mg . At first i was hesitant to take it ,but  I decided too . Within 3 days of taking it i noticed something wasn’t right .i felt jittery like i was gonna jump out my skin . So i stopped ! I was ok for 5 days then boom hell broke loose. I was starting to feel physical panic or anxiety attacks (don’t know the difference) , i couldn’t sleep , i cried all day long .chest was pounding . I even went the hospital because of the chest pain and was told i was ok and was given Ativan which helped .I stated to keep a journal and i noticed my symptoms was going up and down . Example : 1 week I’m doing bad , next 4 days I’m back to normal , next 5 days I’m doing bad etc . Fast forward again to Friday March 29,2024 i started feeling shortness of breath. Today will make day 5 i have shortness of breath 24/7 . I can’t take a deep breath  and my chest hurts . I went to the hospital twice this week to be told my lungs is perfect ,o2 is perfect and no respiratory infection and was just sent home . I am now bed bound because when i walk im out of breath. I am a very active person i strength train 6 times a week ,i dont drink or do drugs . I didn’t have these issues until i took that pill . I’ve tried to be positive and pray , but i just want to know has anyone else experienced this ?! Am i going crazy ?! The doctors cants find anything ! Also , i am in therapy as of 6 weeks ago and i have a psychiatrist i see for the first time next week . Will this go away on its own ?! I really don’t want to be put on another antidepressant . Please any advice will help . I just want to know I’m not alone .

(also i will add : years ago (2016) i was put on Prozac i only took a couple of times because i didn’t think i needed it and in 2019 i was put on lexapro i only took a couple of times (4) cause it made me sleepy ) I only took it because my sister thought it will help me from feeling down after my granny and mom passed . But those pills didnt do any harm .

i hope this helps and i hope someone can help me understand i will be ok and this shall pass.

Zoloft 50 mg  -February 20, 2024 to February 23,2024 

Lexapro 10mg -Sept 19,2019 to Sept 25,2019

Prozac 10mg - January 1, 2016 to January 5, 2016

Ativan- March 18,2024 given 1mg in hospital. Sent home with 5 pills of 0.5 mg no refills . Still have 3 pills left 

Melatonin 10mg- Feb 23,2024- current 

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Your first task is to create a drug signature, with the following:

• All current medication you take, the dose you take, when you started the drug, and when you made dose changes
  • All current supplements you take
  • An accurate history of recent drugs, taken in the last 12-24 months
  • Dates for recent should be written as 7 Oct 2023, or Oct 7 2023, or early Oct 2023, or mid Oct 2023
  • A history of drugs taken 24 months ago and beyond - if applicable
  • Dates for historical drugs can simply be listed as start and stop years
  • Please do not use 07/10/23 // 10/07/23 as this is intepreted differently around the world

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. See my signature for example of clear and concise information.

This topic is for anything relating to you, and any questions you have. Please do not start another topic.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your CURRENT dose each month, to limit withdrawal symptoms. E.g. 10mg --> 9mg --> 8.1mg --> 7.29mg

All the answers you are looking for regarding tapering and antidepressant withdrawal are on this site. Please search around and continue to read as much as you can manage. Use the site search function to search for specific words or phrases, such as drugs or symptoms.

Here are a few of the most useful links:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kymmichanel said:

Within 3 days of taking it i noticed something wasn’t right .i felt jittery like i was gonna jump out my skin . So i stopped ! I was ok for 5 days then boom hell broke loose. I was starting to feel physical panic or anxiety attacks (don’t know the difference) , i couldn’t sleep , i cried all day long .chest was pounding . I even went the hospital because of the chest pain and was told i was ok and was given Ativan which helped .

We have a small number of members on the forum who experienced immediate adverse effects from a few doses of medication. What we notice is that they do recover, but it is very up and down, and follows the The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.

We need to know if you're still taking the Ativan.

Fast forward again to Friday March 29,2024 i started feeling shortness of breath. Today will make day 5 i have shortness of breath 24/7 . I can’t take a deep breath  and my chest hurts . I went to the hospital twice this week to be told my lungs is perfect ,o2 is perfect and no respiratory infection and was just sent home . I am now bed bound because when i walk im out of breath.

What you are experiencing is called air hunger. I happen to be extremely familiar with this symptom, through personal experience. It is not harmful at all, despite how terrifying it can feel. Sometimes you have to push through these symptoms in order to reduce the fear that they create. Despite what your mind is telling you, you will not stop breathing.

Am i going crazy ?! The doctors cants find anything ! Also , i am in therapy as of 6 weeks ago and i have a psychiatrist i see for the first time next week . Will this go away on its own ?! I really don’t want to be put on another antidepressant . Please any advice will help . I just want to know I’m not alone .

The doctors will not find anything and it is likely you will be told you simply have anxiety problems. Most healthcare professionals are ignorant of the realities of psychiatric drugs. A psychiatrist is only there to diagnose and prescribe, I would not recommend visiting one unless you wish to be prescribed further medication.

All of these symptoms will resolve with time, unfortunately too many people are misinformed by professionals before they gain access to the information provided here.

Edited by Erimus

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

I hope I’m responding to  you Erimus ,again I’m new to this . No im not no longer on Ativan . I was giving 1mg while in the hospital Erykah Bad the first time when i had chest pain mid march and was sent home with only 5 pills . I still have 3 pills left . I’m trying not to take anything. I want to fight this myself . 
Also , i never heard of air hunger is this a withdrawal or side effect from antidepressants ?! 

Ativan- March 18,2024 given 1mg in hospital. Sent home with 5 pills of 0.5 mg no refills . Still have 3 pills left 

2 hours ago, Kymmichanel said:

I hope I’m responding to  you Erimus ,again I’m new to this . No im not no longer on Ativan . I was giving 1mg while in the hospital Erykah Bad the first time when i had chest pain mid march and was sent home with only 5 pills . I still have 3 pills left . I’m trying not to take anything. I want to fight this myself . 
Also , i never heard of air hunger is this a withdrawal or side effect from antidepressants ?! 

It's a common withdrawal symptom, side effect, and also a symptom of anxiety. Good that you haven't taken any more ativan, I would steer well clear from it. You will recover with time and patience, and also with gently exposing yourself to normal things you did before the reaction.

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

I’m so sorry for the typos I’m typing fast . But thank you so much you’re a blessing sent from heaven .I was getting so scared because i never had breathing problems or any of this happened before . I been going through this a month already and gosh i thought i was gonna be like this forever. I’m so happy i found this site . Thank you a million times 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I’m not sure if this is where i write my update. But it’s been 3 weeks since i wrote my first post here and a lot has changed. My symptoms have got so much better. I haven’t experienced the jitters,insomnia in about 2 1/2 weeks . My shortness of breath has got a lot better . Instead of everyday 24/7 now it’s about 3 days a week half days  . My down moments improved also to about 2-3 times a week instead of everyday all day . I know some may look at this as not much improvement,but i take this as a BIG one . I’m happy i finally see moments where im starting to feel like myself . Also, i did go see my psychiatrist and she was a young lady maybe early 30s. And she believed every single thing i told her and she also told me she has a client that’s going through the same thing. She told me to not take it anymore and to get fish oil and magnesium which i did and is currently taking . She will not be prescribing me any medication and will work alongside my therapist to help me manage my symptoms until they go away . I will keep you all updated on my journey.

• Mentor

She will not be prescribing me any medication and will work alongside my therapist to help me manage my symptoms until they go away . I will keep you all updated on my journey.

That's great news!  I think you will find that the coping strategies she offers you will work far more effectively than any med would.  I struggled with anxiety and WD until I started working with a great psychologist who taught me CBT and other techniques to manage my symptoms. Now they are no more than an occasional annoyance.  Good luck! 

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety