Iliveinhope: PPD, polydrugged and benzo withdrawal

I began my time on meds when I had Postpartum depression in 2009. I was prescribed Escitalopram 20 mg and also was given Clonazepam for anxiety and sleep. I took 2 mg doses. I didn’t know benzos were dangerous so continued to take them pretty regularly for the next 14 years, along with the AD. I finally went into tolerance withdrawal in May of 2023 and had insomnia and anxiety. In July I did a rapid taper and was off the benzo in August. I was also switched from Escitalopram to Sertraline 100 mg, then given more meds to try to help the insomnia-Mirtazapine, Quetiapine, and Trazodone. Nothing really worked. I also took Gabapentin for anxiety. I was taken off all these meds and switched to a combination of Zyprexa and Prozac in October 2023. The Zyprexa has helped with sleep, but I am now tapering it since it’s not a good med to be on long term. Currently at 7 mg. 
My doctor switched me from Prozac to Trintellix, telling me I could stop the Prozac abruptly and start the new med. My question is, can Prozac safely be stopped abruptly and a new med started? I’m very discouraged and don’t know where to turn. I want to be off all meds as they are not helping. I actually think that the polydrugging plus benzo withdrawal has increased my depression and anxiety. 

Edited by Emonda
Name to title

2009-July 2023: Escitalopram 20 mg, Clonazepam 2 mg (rapid taper off both)

July 2023: Quetiapine 100 mg (stopped in August)

July 2023-September 2023:  Sertraline 100 mg, Mirtazapine 15 mg, Trazodone 50 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (rapid taper off Sertraline, CT the rest)

October 2023-present: Zyprexa-started at 10 mg, now tapering and current dose is 7 mg, Prozac 40 mg

April 2024: Stopped Prozac and started Trintellix (currently at 10 mg)

• Emonda changed the title to Iliveinhope: PPD, polydrugged and benzo withdrawal

Hello, and welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. We are a peer support forum to assist in tapering off psychiatric drugs safely, or recovering from psychiatric drug withdrawal.

How long has it been since you switched from prozac to trintellix?

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

It’s been a little less than 2 weeks. I think I’m going to just go back on Prozac and eventually do a proper taper of it. I just don’t feel comfortable switching abruptly and starting all over with a new med. I’ve heard too many stories of awful withdrawals when people suddenly stop a med. Plus I’m already in the process of tapering Zyprexa! What are your thoughts?

July 2023-September 2023:  Sertraline 100 mg, Mirtazapine 15 mg, Trazodone 50 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (rapid taper off Sertraline, CT the rest)

October 2023-present: Zyprexa-started at 10 mg, now tapering and current dose is 7 mg, Prozac 40 mg

2 hours ago, AndreaMC said:

It’s been a little less than 2 weeks. I think I’m going to just go back on Prozac and eventually do a proper taper of it. I just don’t feel comfortable switching abruptly and starting all over with a new med. I’ve heard too many stories of awful withdrawals when people suddenly stop a med. Plus I’m already in the process of tapering Zyprexa! What are your thoughts?

I think that would be a sensible idea given it has been less than two weeks. The prozac will not have fully left your system due to it's long half-life. Please monitor how you feel over the coming days and weeks. Things may be turbulent for a while. I would give it a good month before trying to taper again. Your brain needs stability.

Please explore the site and read as much as you can. Here are some of the most useful links:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Micro tapering

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

We only recommend two supplements. Omega 3 Fish Oil and Magnesium. Both should be introduced separately and increased slowly.

Regards

Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Start tapering - 24 April 2024

Current dose:  (May 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil, Magnesium, Vitamin C

Thanks, that is what I plan to do. I took Prozac again this morning and have stopped the Trintellix.