LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

Can I just take zoloft today again after my last three day of prozac yesterday?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

So can a mod give advice please..

Do I need to taper prozac if I've just been on it 4 days?

What is the wash-out period between prozac and sertraline?

And what dose to reinstate sertraline?

Thank you so much!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

This is not a threat but just want to get this off my chest. I just feel like I want to die with this constant suffering..I've probably made myself much worse. Everyday..very thick anhedonia, emptiness, cannot connect with people, make friends..really not have much of a life at all for years..and then comes the really unbearable suffering..so swinging between the two, life is no fun at all.

Cannot get my head round trying to stabilise again and then tapering so slowly for years..I just want off this crap. I know the drugs are causing a lot of the everyday problems, I think with the reinstatement.

Can't see out!

Does it ever end, ever?!

I'm sorry honey, I'm in the same boat. Can't stabilize and when I think about all of this waiting and then tapering for years and years and years... and I'm on two drugs, one being an AP. Makes me feel sick to mu stomach that I got in this situation.  

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Thanks blue..it makes me sick also that I maybe could have stabilised back in October had I not updosed..

Arrgh!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi L&L , quick reality check from a friend:

- you will get through this eventually

- it doesn't take years and years to taper . . . I'm almost half-way in 6 months

- Alto doesn't read your thread every day . . . perhaps you should message her

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Love please don't lose hope. I know this level of suffering is other-worldly and horrifying. Others have made it through, we can too. We have to be smart and careful about it. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

I can't seem to shake the hopelessness..ok it'll take a long time to stabilise..I know how shockingly bad it is to make a cut when unsteady..so stuck until I can taper..but what kills me..figurately..my hope and spirit..yes, it is being sucked out if me. Cos, I was empty, disconnected, dysfunctional, restless, apathetic on the meds and that is why I wanted off..and now on reinstatement or withdrawal, it's even worse..don't know how to live like this..

We have to hope we will feel much better OFF the meds. When our brains have had the chance to recover.

Yep,.

Fresh..I think as you started from a very stable place it has made it very smooth for you? Thank goodness this time eh? I think if I had known about tapering from the start I may be well on my way and well by now..

I take it Blu, you cannot sleep either? I defo have some low grade akathisia right now. It maddens me as years ago when they put me on a huge dose after 0, I kept telling them about this restlessness.."oh, it's just anxiety".

Thanks Blu..yes you cannot do without hope..

• Administrator

LoveandLight, I am confused. Did you simply stop taking 21.5mg Zoloft and start taking 20mg Prozac?

Your intention was to switch to Prozac?

I don't know if going back on Zoloft is going to be better than being on Prozac. It takes about 4 days for a drug to reach steady-state in your system. If this is your fourth day having taken Prozac, how do you feel?

20mg Prozac is somewhat stronger than the 21.5mg Zoloft you were taking. You might consider taking 10mg Prozac instead.

But I can't tell you whether any of these options would make you feel better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you very much for your reply, alto.

Yes, I simply did that. My plan was to do the prozac switch properly but I was so out of my mind with suffering I just took a whole capsule - I realised that what i ordered was not tablet form.

Constantly on zoloft I do not feel well, disconnected, emptiness, rage a lot of dysfunction. I had this disconnect and emptiness for yrs on the meds but worse since I reinstated or more withdrawal or both. It's hard to tell.

On the prozac - I felt better on Saturday night the day after I took it. Have felt mentally better, I think. But even more lack of emotions now and burning pains in my head, burning pains in body (had this in sertraline withdrawal) electrical currents in body ( just started today) and two nights and days no sleep.

I wonder to try the 10prozac to see if it reduces electrical feeling and get some sleep but that would not guarantee no zoloft withdrawals? Like the lack of sleep might be the zoloft WD? I never got stable on zoloft.

Love, I think you're going to have WD no matter what. Another SSRI won't simply get rid of withdrawal or I'D BE TAKING ONE! SIGN ME UP!

Do you want DP/DR, blunted emotions, anxiety and depression and cog fog, or would you prefer burning skin, brain zaps, akathisia and despair?

I don't at all mean to sound bleak. I just think it might be easier if you lowered your expectations of finding an escape from withdrawal entirely.

Hang in there. Choose the option with the WD symptoms that, although disgusting, you've learned to live with and dump the one with symptoms you cannot tolerate.

Truthfully, I'm not even sure you won't get a mixed bag of symptoms either way but, logically, if the symptoms you're experiencing with the prozac are new, they may be side effects of the drug, not WD.

I don't know from personal experience, since I only took prozac 4 days, then stopped because it made me feel drugged. I'm withdrawing from a drug that even the manufacturer doesn't know how it works. Fabulous.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Haha pug..no it wasn't to take away WD..I never felt great on zoloft but was magnified by reinstatement I think,,

But, I'll sign you up ;) it wasn't to take away the withdrawal..it's the fact that I don't feel well on it even out with the waves now..but I mean I took a whole capsule because I couldn't think plan, I didn't really care at that point in such a bad wave..

The sleeplessness and burning pains - sertraline withdrawal or from prozac

Electrical feeling - prozac

Burning pains in head - don't think recorded that in sert withdrawal - prozac?

Although I've had such a tough time after CT, I was feeling bad on the drug and off the drug. I had no idea about this WD world, having never taken pain killers, SSRIs, benzos or opiates prior to my spinal stenosis pain and subsequent lumbar fusion surgery.

Had I known the hell that awaited me, I would have had the fusion surgery right away, taken opiates post op for a few weeks, some rehab and be done with it.

But noooooooo. Here I am in the Anxiety-Depression-Heart Palps-Cortisol-Insomnia Fun House with no clear end in sight.

Good times to be had by all.

Love, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Sorry for the rant. Was just empathizing with you regarding feeling yucky taking the meds and yucky stopping the meds.

So anyway, IF I was to come off prozac..would I taper if it's been 4-6days?

Is there a gap I should leave if I go back on sertrsline?

No it's pain..I've been ranting and raving for months

I don't think you need to taper the Prozac. Just take the Zoloft like you used to at the dosage you felt better on.

Yes, it is a hell isn't it, pug x

Did you have insomnia with the sertraline? I thought you could sleep taking the sertraline.

The burning is new with the Prozac right?

I wouldn't leave a gap if I were you. It might throw you into CT hell.

Burning in my head, I think is new.

Yep I've had burning over body with sertraline withdrawal and in reinstatement but it's stronger now.

Yes can sleep on sertraline unless in wave..last year when I got to 0 I had three nights totally awake before WD hell.

• Moderator Emeritus

Re post 1600: "another ssri won't . . get rid of the withdrawal.."  That's not the case Pug.

In fact it will take the edge off all the most distressing symptoms - that's what reinstating is all about.

Try reading this thread  "About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms"  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

At this time L&L is asking for advice from Alto and/or moderators about her medication plan , not guesses.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I have this theory about the different SSRIs people take and their side effects, tolerance symptoms and withdrawal experience.

I think each drug is made uniquely, with distinct and varying chemicals that attach to receptors in their own individual ways, depending on how they are manufactured.

There are similarities in common with all of them, like anxiety, depression, panic, insomnia, dp/dr etc., but some symptoms are somewhat unique to a specific SSRI, like brain zaps, gut problems, tinnitus, burning sensations, etc.

The psychological symptoms seem to effect everyone, but the physical symptoms seem to have a lot in common with the type of SSRI you are on. Does that sound right to you?

I dunno. I'm sure I'm full of doo doo. I'm in WD, after all.

Pug

Yes certain drugs seem to have specific physical effects.

And also, if the SSRI was activating, then it makes sense that you'd feel lethargic, weak and depressed during tolerance, tapering and wd. If the SSRI was sedative, then you'd feel anxious, sleepless, intrusive thoughts and panicky during tolerance, tapering and WD.

Obviously, gabapentin was sedative, or a little of both.

Obviously lol

Aww pug..that anxiety is awful xx

Yeah, it is. And, once again, I feel completely normal, like my old self, at night. Geez, why can't I just stay this way?

Yep I know! One day it will stay that way x