LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

• Administrator

If jumping around isn't working, try stability.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Prozac clearly doesn't agree with you at all, but I know nothing about ADs. It sounds like everyone is telling you to stick with the Prozac.

I'm not just saying stick with Prozac, I'm saying engage with the many little things that soothe, calm and distract.   It could be that the Prozac doesn't agree with L&L, but it could easily be that changes don't agree with L&L and any drug would have fuelled the fire.   Given none of the changes has provided relief its worth engaging the idea that change itself is the problem.   Its also worth trying to dampen down the reactions in as many gentle ways as we can.   If you want to fixate on something fixate on getting your 100 little things together in an effort to feel better rather than fixating on fear, anxiety and what if ...

Myopically looking to drugs to address our symptoms is what got many of us into this situation, it's not likely to get us out

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you for your advice..yes obviously what I've done has created more instability. If I feel I have to change back to sertraline I will hold at whatever dose I go back to for 6 months to a year at least and hold, no matter what.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Deleted post

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm interested in why you are considering going back to sertraline, what is your line of thinking that sits underneath that idea? Obviously, that us yet another change so why do you think that could be better than starting the campaign for stability now, on Prozac?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you for asking. So I'm generally, I think, worse so I just wonder if I could have full blown sertraline withdrawal even on the prozac..and I have more pain..burning pains now, confusion very bad and constant headache which I did not have before. So even if I could get somewhat stable I may still have the constant headache and head pressure and confusion which also limits my functioning.

LL, Hi, I wouldn't even try to give advice on this because I have screwed up way to many times. But I had a question, when you say burning...where do experience the burning.?

I used to get it on my back and arms, but sice coming off the sertraline I am having burning in my HEAD and behind my nose...brain sometimes feels like its on fire!

I am wondering if I may have Sjogrens because my eyes are so dry (have been since before the w/d ) that they burn so badly using drops constantly. Have to put lip gloss on every hour, lips and mouth so dry.

I can not think at all and now my sleep is being effected...but I can NOT go back....I HAVE to go forward.

I pray that you will find your way in all of this but if I ever knew coming off an SSRI would be just as hard as benzo I probably would have just shot myself by now...ONLY KIDDING FOLKS

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

Randomly all over my body..tiny patches of sharp burning, Laineyk

So please could I have advice on how to swap over my head is constantly sore so I do not think I can stay on this..this is a new symptom never had this in sert withdrawal..normal occasional headaches but never like this..thank you and then I will stay put for a while..loathed to go back on sertraline but cannot cope with this headache constant either.

Sorry Laineyk when first did switch, yes, actually I did have very bad burning pain in head and it's still there a bit

That you mention the benzo Laineyk.doctors will not prescribe benzos any longer than one week here or sleeping tablets which is strange as ad withdrawal causes anxiety and sleeplessness but I would not want to go down that route either but they realise the above is addictive physiologically but they've yet to acknowledge as withdrawal..

• Administrator

L&L, if you're asking for our permission to make another drug change -- your guess is as good as anybody's. Could be an improvement, could be worse. Once you've introduced instability by jumping around, no one knows what will happen.

You decide, as you have done so far. You are the one who has to deal with the consequences.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

No not your permission as yes I'm the one that will have to cope with the consequences but does the prozac need to be tapered if I've been on it since the 1st of august? And the sertraline slowly introduced back?

I will maybe try and hold another week but just cannot cope with the headache much longer. The instability is not what I'm worried about as such as I know eventually that will settle down it's the fact that I think I could be reacting to the prozac and could be doing more harm.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you're having this dilemna L&L.

On sertraline , for months you talked about constant suicidal thoughts and feelings , chronic anhedonia.    Is the headache worse than that?

Remind yourself that each of these symptoms is a phase , and each one stops when it's ready , often to be replaced by

something equally as uncomfortable.  I believe this will continue until you allow yourself to stabilize on one dose , and the w/d 

can start to resolve.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

I have no idea what a cold switch back to sertraline would do. Generally, cross-tapering is gentler on the nervous system.

But don't what that would do, either.

I do not feel I can in good conscience suggest anything. I have no idea what might be the best decision.

Hi Alto..if I was to go back to sertraline, I would be cross-tapering. Thank you for your reply.

Hi Fresh, on prozac I have all those things (incl suicidal thoughts and planning - this started when I was still on sertraline, the last day) and the burning, numb head and very bad confusion that it's difficult to take notes on what is happening and when. I've only had one good day on the prozac. What most worries me is that I don't know if I'm reacting to the prozac and therefore causing and prolonging more suffering ontop of the withdrawal.

As you can tell, getting very stressed out and if I'd stuck with the original advice, I don't think I would be in this situation now. I did however, get confused by a support charity that told me that some people never stabilise until they are off completely, hence why I tried to WD when not ready then back up in dose etc. So if I went back on sertraline, I still would not know if I am reacting to the dose or not, I understand that the advice is to stabilise on a particular dose, but I'm really lost now..If I went back to my original reinstatement dose of sertraline that would be 12.5mg which is a huge jump from from 25mg the equivalent from what I'm on now..But at least I'd know that I'm dealing with WD and not too high a dose?

Sorry I do feel like I'm being a right pain and I'm annoying myself too! It just seems impossible to think and make any decision.

I had a long conversation with my auntie last night and just told her how desperate was feeling and confused. I'm quite devastated really as for about 8 years or something I didn't realise I was in withdrawal every time I tried to come off and would go back on, never really feeling well. So this time I did know what was going on but have kept myself unstable for a year trying to get more functional only to make it much worse.

Don't blame yourself Love. What you did and how you got in this situation doesn't matter. You were trying to help yourself and improve your situation, you didn't mean to make it worse. It only matters what you will do from now on. I wish I could see into the future and tell you what the best course of action would be. I really wish. My guess is as good as anybody's. I honestly don't know what I would do if I was in your situation, I dare not give any advice because I have no facts and reason to base it on. I will be praying that you make the best decision possible and your situation improves. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Whatever happens, all of us will keep supporting you. You are not alone and will make it through this. 

Love and hugs

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Thank you, Blu xxxx

When I'm a bit more stable I will come out of my thread and try and give support to others. Hope you are holding up xx

Don't worry about offering support to others. We do what we can, when we can. Everybody understands. No worries. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

Love , stop beating yourself up. You did what you had to do.

Having said that, you seem to be all  "over the place".  Please decide what is best for you & "stick to it", for a long time. Hang in there , girlfriend. Work out a plan &  look towards "stability".   I think you're missing the "forest for the trees".  Instead of holding steady, you're " panicking ", and thereby losing the "plot".  I don't think it matters so much , what the "drug" is. The "key' to this is , getting stable, and being patient.  Just acknowledge, that you're in for the " long haul",  and go about it "quietly & calmly", using all the techniques you have learned here to  keep yourself even.  Keep learning about this, but with a patience, that defies the "insanity" , of this "nightmare", that we all find ourselves in.   Just keep "breathing". You will make it through. Keep pushing forward !!    Love,  Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Yes, Ali you told me yesterday that I was losing the plot lol! Yes, I know!

Thank you for the message xx

That's not what I meant. !!  I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm trying to help ! :unsure:  I don't think you're losing the plot.  I just think you're going through a "rough " time & need some advice.  If you don't want any input, I will "step away".  Just let me know. I will "happily oblige ".   Love,  Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

No no not offended at all :D x

:wub::unsure::wacko::blush:<_<:P  Love you, Love.  !!

:D love to you

loveandlight, whatever is your decission, i give you all my support, and wish that you'll get better as sooner as possible. We are in the same path, be strong.

Lots of hugssssss to you

history:

2004-2009: paroxetine 20 mg.

may 2009 to december 2009: mirtazapine 30 mg

january 2010-july 2010: prozac 20 mg

september 2010-december 2011: escitalpram 10 mg and march 2012 to december 2012: escitalopram 15 mg

march 2013-16 june 2014: venlafaxine 75 mg: cold turkey

6th september 2014 escitalopram 10 mg tapering it in 1 mg /month until june 2015: tapering made in 6 months but have no respected 10% result: w/d symptoms  

20 july 2015 reinstated 5 mg escitalopram and decided when stable to taper only 10%/month. I also take Mg, fish oil, vit C, E and multivitaminic with minerals,. Increase to 6 mg escitalopram on 14th august. Increase to 7 mg on 23th august, with 1 mg klonopin to help sleep. Updose to 10 mg on 28th august ( because of horrible depression and suicidal), and pray i made a good choice.

Hugs, Raul xx

So much stress and trying to decide, going to stay on the prozac, even although I have head pressure, pain, jaw burn, burning as well as all the other psychological symptoms but I think I had the worst day ever while unstable on the sertraline and thought of even going there again is terrible. So either way it looks like I'm going to suffer and even although it's not at all how I intended to come off, I'm still off the sertraline. I was trying to speed up my recovery the past year but made it worse..so either way I'm in it for the long haul now.

Thank you all for your opinions, advice and support. I appreciate it so much.

My goodness me, after all my mumping and moaning, I think I'm having a little window. Apart from the pain everywhere which is more bearable now the mental pain is not so much..was looking at photographs of somewhere I visited yesterday but couldn't enjoy much of yesterday as was so much fear and mental distress..joy at looking at these photographs now. Joy! Who would have known..didn't think i would see joy ever again. And just realised I made tea, did dishes without the constant depersonalisation and self consciousness..so this is not permanent..note to self!

Was meant to be going out for someone's birthday dinner tonight, looking forward to it now.

Think need to need mouth guard..think jaw, neck pain is from teeth clenching grinding

I'm so happy to read about your window! What a joy!

Thanks Blu..hope the beach is good

I hope that your window continues and provides some relief, Love & Light. Take good care and be kind to yourself xxx

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Thank you Tilly xx

so good to hear,Love!

Be strong and keep going,you will heal!

love you,ds  XO

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.