Drummerseve: im guessing im going through effexor withdrawal?

drummerseve

I know what you mean. I wanna be coma induced and slowly tapered and then they can wake me a cpl months after being off. Im sry to hear that about ur job and more important ur mind. I hope u get some relief asap. Im living at home and im still at work but its a nightmare. I do have support. My gf and my family are great. Even when im an *******. Im a completely different person than who i used to be. Im seeing a therapist whos great. Im also doing group therapy and seeing a naturopath. Im not sure if the naturopath is dong anything to be honest. Time will be the answer i guess. But to be honest i dont know if i can make it through this. Panic attacks and my underlying anxiety were manageable. I felt i had some control. This is the opposite. And thank you for ur support. If theres anything i can do for u at all please let me know. Send me a message. All the best, JD. Hang in there. -Mike.

Put on Paxil 20mg for anxiety in 1998. Crapped out fall of 2005. Taken off cold turkey by my Dr.Put on Effexor xr 150mg within a week. Crapped out summer 2012.  Dosage was upped to 225mg.  Symptoms worsened.  Quit smoking and started a slow taper at 10% every 4-5 weeks or so.  At around 25mg started developing ocd like symptoms(intrusive thoughts mainly)Slowed taper down.  Symptoms remain.  Got down to 2mg and quit the Effexor.  I was fine for a few weeks and was hit with a wall of symptoms. (I had started tapering my benzo at this point not knowing I shoulda waited much longer) I then hit with a wall of WD symptoms.  Debilitated.  Reinstated December 30th, 10 beads.  Felt really messed up.  Dropped to 5 beads.  Remaining until stable.

Started Klonopin 1mg once a day during my taper. Summer 2014. (At this time I was at 25mg Effexor) Dropped to .75mg of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wd symptoms worsened. Klonopin is back to 0.5mg twice daily. Waited for a month and made the mistake of starting a slow taper(what I thought was slow) at 6.25 percent for one week but had insane nightmares. It was too early to try and taper.  I went back to .5mg twice daily but seem to be having interdose wd. Symptoms are Sleep disturbances, depression and weird chest pains. Working my way to .25 mg spread evenly 4 times a day. Gonna stabilize and start a taper after 6 months er so.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drummerseve

• Skyler

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

• Ever

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. I wanna be coma induced and slowly tapered and then they can wake me a cpl months after being off. Im sry to hear that about ur job and more important ur mind. I hope u get some relief asap. Im living at home and im still at work but its a nightmare. I do have support. My gf and my family are great. Even when im an *******. Im a completely different person than who i used to be. Im seeing a therapist whos great. Im also doing group therapy and seeing a naturopath. Im not sure if the naturopath is dong anything to be honest. Time will be the answer i guess. But to be honest i dont know if i can make it through this. Panic attacks and my underlying anxiety were manageable. I felt i had some control. This is the opposite. And thank you for ur support. If theres anything i can do for u at all please let me know. Send me a message. All the best, JD. Hang in there. -Mike.

Ya, coma sounds pretty good. :) Im so glad your family and your girlfriend are helpful. That's really really good. I'm also happy to hear that you can work. I just want my life back and to go back to work. Thx Mike! You do the same...I'm here of us need me.

Check in again soon, and let us know how you are. Hang in there.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

What are the best things you've found for weaving a nest of care around yourself?  Can you try some of these now?  We are all so fragile in these utterly horrible times that I think even a little bit of care goes a long way.  Most basic for me is drinking enough water, and napping lots. 

I have also found that if I write in my diary little notes through the day (eg 'very tired, hot ears, shaky) then I feel a little more outside myself and what is happening and therefore less likely to panic.  Still panic sometimes though :(.

Sometimes I pretend I am taking care of a very scared little child - I go slowly and gently and softly.

Wishing you endurance and hope for this hard time. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

To be honest karen, that's where im at right now. I feel meditation helps a bit. I do keep a journal as well. The group therapy is ok but i find my therapist is truly an amazing person. The kind of guy i wish u all had a chance to know. Hes the kind of person who was meant to do what he does. He helps me a lot. I always feel better just seeing him. He always knows what to say and how to go about things. Like i said im lucky to have my gf and my family who understand that im not just making this up unlike my dr. I work for my best friend who deals with anxiety and depression and he himself is on effexor. We talk a lot and he takes care of me. He pays me well, hes there if i need him or need time off and hes understanding. All in all im very lucky in ways. I try to remind myself of this.

Put on Paxil 20mg for anxiety in 1998. Crapped out fall of 2005. Taken off cold turkey by my Dr.Put on Effexor xr 150mg within a week. Crapped out summer 2012.  Dosage was upped to 225mg.  Symptoms worsened.  Quit smoking and started a slow taper at 10% every 4-5 weeks or so.  At around 25mg started developing ocd like symptoms(intrusive thoughts mainly)Slowed taper down.  Symptoms remain.  Got down to 2mg and quit the Effexor.  I was fine for a few weeks and was hit with a wall of symptoms. (I had started tapering my benzo at this point not knowing I shoulda waited much longer) I then hit with a wall of WD symptoms.  Debilitated.  Reinstated December 30th, 10 beads.  Felt really messed up.  Dropped to 5 beads.  Remaining until stable.

Started Klonopin 1mg once a day during my taper. Summer 2014. (At this time I was at 25mg Effexor) Dropped to .75mg of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wd symptoms worsened. Klonopin is back to 0.5mg twice daily. Waited for a month and made the mistake of starting a slow taper(what I thought was slow) at 6.25 percent for one week but had insane nightmares. It was too early to try and taper.  I went back to .5mg twice daily but seem to be having interdose wd. Symptoms are Sleep disturbances, depression and weird chest pains. Working my way to .25 mg spread evenly 4 times a day. Gonna stabilize and start a taper after 6 months er so.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have a great support system and job in place! Keep focused on the good stuff and I'm sure it will help you attain your recovery.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Thanks, wiggle. Its all i can do. Just gonna keep pushin through and take my time.

Today and yesterday i started havin these random feelings of rage and anger. Feeling violent for absolutely no reason. So messed up. Ill be watching tv and am suddenly overwhelmed with a thought that just comes out of nowhere. My thought reaction is to wonder "will i act on them?" Which causes a huge spike in axniety and sends me into panic. What a terrible feeling....

Today has been a brain fog day. It feels very unreal. I have trouble talking to people and its been harder and harder to come into work. My emotions seems to be so out of control. Amplified by 100.

((((Drummer)))) I hear you. The emotional roller coaster leaves me with a barbecue pit in my stomach. The brain fog is a nice touch too

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• 1 year later...

How are you????????

Love to hear how it's going for you. I thought about you a couple months back......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hey guys. Unfortunately im not doin to great. Its been about a yr since ive been off the snris and about 3 months off klonopin after a 14 month taper. I tested positive for lyme and have pretty much lost everything. My career, girlfriend, tamily members and pets and now im going in for a colonoscopy to rule out bigger things. My body has been shutting down. I have infections like mad, lost a lot of weight and my organs dont seem to be functioning properly. On top of WD I seem to now have other problems. I dont believe for a second id be here if i was never put on K. It stole my life from me.

Btw, i hope u guys are better. I truly do. Id love to hear from yas.

Oh that does not sound good but you are very strong inside to continue to soldier on through all of this.

Can I/we help in any way?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Btw, i hope u guys are better. I truly do. Id love to hear from yas.

Don't fall into the lyme trap. Everyone has positive results...or most of the people. The tests are not reliable. I've fall into that trap...I went to specialised clinics in other countries spent around 10k, took 600 antibiotics and lost a quarter of my weight because of them and im feeling the same. Nowadays every unknown symptom is diagnosed as lyme...its a huge industry. Just my 2 cents.

I quoted the wrong message

On various meds since 2004(Luvox, Paxil-5 years, Zoloft, Trazodone, etc) for anxiety.
CT Luvox 20th September 2013, started Klonopin 1mg (now on 0.25mg). Hellish depression, burning head, crying spells,extreme emotional rollercoaster, severe fibro-neuropathy like pains-never had any of this prior to meds. 31 months off and its worse and worse no life AT ALL.

Really ADO? That's how it is? Do you have some links or a discussion board where I could see people talking about it? How did you find out it yourself? I live in mosquito country, always kinda afraid.

PM is good or even better a thread in one of the forums as a cautionary tale

Yeah Drop, im aware. But my lymph nodes are huge problem. Something elel is goin on. I lost a lot of weight, my lyph nodes have been swollen, theyre sore and they burn none stop now for 7 months. I have trouble breathing and other symptoms i cant explain. Pains in my thighs and but and legs. Joints ste swelling. My whole taper up until the end was all psypshcologic symptoms. Nothing physicalat all. Now every symptom I had in withdrawal is gone and the only ones that are here are physical pain, swelling, burning, skin crawling and numbness and tingling. It honestly feels 10 times worse than my 14 month withdrawal. And it keeps getting worse it doesn't feel at all like this is withdrawal. But I hear you. I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt. Do u have lyme or no? And do u think its just wd?

Sry for the spelling ugh. Damn phone. Lol. Im really not that dumb;)

I think all of what you are feeling is wd syndrome and believe me it can get really bad. The k won't fix it and neither will reinstatement of the drug (didn't you stop taking it? If you did your sig needs updated). This is why we tell you to reinstate as soon as possible and stay on till you get stable and THEN taper.

I'm not a doc but I'll tell you this: I had all of those symptoms too and much worse and they have all gone away. No medical intervention, I just took care of myself and waited. You need to be aware, however, that once you are sensitized by wd syndrome, some antibiotics they might give you trying to treat a purported case of lyme might make you real sick.

Cipro and z-packs can really do a number on people. Look up Aeroman's thread, he was given cipro and he got pretty sick.

Weight loss? I could take off my skinny jeans without undoing the button or zipper I lost so much weight. It has come back now. I had pains in places that made no sense. Medical tests never show up a thing. Have you been taking your temperature and keeping records to see if the lymph node swelling is due to an infection? You can feel like run over dog poo and not show a thing that can be measured.

So go to the doc and get checked but be careful of him guessing on you and giving you something just 'because'. You need proof that you really have something and more proof you are getting effective treatment. Lots of us are now really gun shy around doctors now, we have to be. The treatment is most often more pills that do more damage than help. There is no effective medical cure for the symptoms of wd syndrome. If there was, we'd hang a sign on the door pointing you to it and we'd shut off the lights and blow this joint. Trying to counsel people in how to deal with a condition docs don't believe in and can often cause with their meddling is not easy to do. We can't give medical advice here, only educated suggestions. Ultimately it is all up to you. 

Thanks cym, im hoping your right. I question my lyme diagnosis daily. Ive never herxed and to me that is rare. My lymph nodes in neck have been like this since Oct. It started with lymph nodes, weight loss, blood in stool and shortness of breath. I thought i had cancer and got tested for everyting since. 2 cts, 8-9 ultrasounds, 10 xrays and more blood then u could imagine. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. But the one thing i didnt have was a colonoscopy which im dreading becuz i have this stomach pain, back and leg pain and weightloss for months and its worsening with gut issues. Im very concerned.

I did a slow taper over 14 mo months after only being on it for 8 months. As I tapered down it seemed to get better and then I started having problems with everything I just described above near the end of my taper. I've been extremely stressed as well due to loss of family members, girlfriend, pets and my job. My health has declined rapidly and I'm very concerned concerned. Oh yeah and about infections I've had every possible test done from every std to h.pylori, malaria and everything in between. Btw, i will updàte my sig too. Thanks for letting me vent too;)

Mike, get the colonoscopy. You have to find out what is causing the bleeding. Could be serious or benign polyps. But you have to get it done, ok? Lyme and other stuff can wait. So can wd.

Absorbing venting and advice giving is what we are good at. Remote healing, not so much. But there's always new tech being invented by google........

Take care of this and tell us what is going on, ok?

My wd has been done for a few months now Cym. I went to talk to the surgeon yesterday and im waiting to hear back for my appointment. Im very concerned about rectal/colon cancer even tho im only 34. I feel something very bad is abound. My guts telling me something is not good and im hopin its wrong.

And yeah, ill keep ya informed for sure.

Those things are successfully treated nowadays.

You need to know and when you know, the strength to deal with them will come. It cannot come when uncertainty reigns.

And your guts are responding to fear of the unknown too, but you are on the right path. You already did the hard part now the docs are in charge. Never forget they are healers too.

You make a lot of sense my wise friend;) ty for the support and the kind words. Its means a lot.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you Mike? Its been a while and hope you are better, or at least improvingand they found what was making you so sick. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 years later...

Hi @drummerseve, just checking in-- how are you doing these days? Would love to hear from you. Hope you are ok.

- 2003 to 2015: celexa, 20 mg, ~12 years

- 2015: easy switch off celexa and onto cymbalta, 30mg

(over a decade of fantastic years in here, with one anxiety/depressive episode brought on by a breakup, which I got through with therapy, tools, etc)

- 2017: Nov/December: tapered off cymbalta, 20mg --> 0, over 1.5 mo. in conjunction with my (former) psychiatrist. Zero date: 12/15/17

(I was just sort of curious to try being off meds after so many (great) years. I wondered the degree to which meds may have been affecting my sex drive/orgasm/access to deeper emotions. After going off was ok for about 3 mo... then: horrible anxiety, panic attacks (first time in 14 years and way stronger than I ever had before), agitation, suicidal depression, crushing physical sensation, anhedonia, dp/dr, emotional numbness. Horrible.)

- 2018, July 21: Tried going back on celexa, 5mg

(HORRIBLE adverse reaction, discontinued after 10 days, stopped 7/31/18, thought I would need to be hospitalized)

- 2018, Aug 3: Tried remeron, got up to 15mg for 14 days, then tapered back down to 3.5 mg/d (super sedating, couldn't think and could feel even less)

- 2018, Sept 7 - Oct: Restarted Cymbalta, ~4mg (sept 9, stopped the 3.5 mg of remeron). Went up to 13 mg Cymbalta, then right back down to 4.5mg.

(Now see it as withdrawal and am wanting to get off and heal.)