downtongirl: I want to become med-free

downtongirl

Thanks Petunia...I believe it!

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downtongirl

• Altostrata

• tntd

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Well coke contains caffeine and people who stop drinking coffee can go through caffeine withdrawal so it may be that.  Perhaps drink less each day would help your body to adjust to not having it.  Aspartame is a neurotoxin.  See http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.html

"Phenylalanine is a hidden danger to anyone consuming aspartame. Most consumers don't know that too much Phenylalanine is a neurotoxin and excites the neurons in the brain to the point of cellular death."

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

*topic moved from symptoms forum

Hello!  I have a bad neck.  I have bone spurs and some slight cervical stenosis which causes pain on top of having tmj.  I have been going to a chiropractor, massage therapist, and physical therapist for over a year.  I have even had the dry needling done for trigger points.  The neuro docs say it is  not bad enough for surgery so they have suggested lyrica or Elavil.  I have taken both before and I felt lyrica worked better.  I know it is not good to take anything that effects our cns but I need help.  I have been told taking nsaids on a daily basis is not good either plus they upset my stomach.  My pharmacist says that lyrica would be better over nsaids or Elavil. The pain and muscle spasms cause my anxiety to sky rocket.   Any suggestions?

SA is a support site for safely tapering off psychiatric medications, we do not allow discussions related to finding out about which drugs to take next, comparing the effects of various drugs or their side effects.

There are plenty of other sites which offer information about using drugs to treat symptoms, this is not one of them.

Just so everyone is clear, in case you haven't yet read the  Read This First  topic, discussing or suggesting what drugs to take next is mentioned in  What will get you warned or banned

DG, I'm sorry withdrawal is making your existing neck issues worse, it often happens that conditions we are already struggling with become worse due to the added stress of withdrawal. As we recover from withdrawal, these other increased symptoms usually get better again over time too.

Looking for natural, non-drug ways to manage symptoms is what we recommend here.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Ok thank you sorry did not mean to break the rules!

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DG , I tried to move another of your new posts here but seem to have lost it on the way , sorry.

You do not need to have "all your ducks in a row" to taper now. When you are thinking clearer , you'll realize that the Tapering Prozac thread has all the information in it.

How about you keep ALL your questions on this thread until you have stabilized a bit? That way

the responses you get will be from people familiar with your particular situation?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Plus it is way, way to early to even think about tapering

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Has anyone ever gone to a functional medicine doctor?  I spoke with one today and he suggested me having my neurotransmitters, adrenals, hormones, etc. tested.  I told him I was in withdrawal and he said before we try to many supplements it is best to know exactly if anything I am low in.  I have backed off of the supplements given to me last week just taking fish oil, lysine, probiotic, which I have been taking for a long time.  I know so little about the supplements and amino acids that I feel getting tested to see if I am low in anything is smart.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

There are no tests that can accurately measure neurotransmitters.   Such testing is a throwback to the "chemical imbalance" theory that was disproved several years ago.  The one they do is a urine test which has no bearing on the levels in the brain.  

The other tests may be helpful in locating deficiencies that might be improved by supplementation.  

Be careful as many functional medicine doctors are sales reps for supplement manufacturers and will be pushing high priced  proprietary blends the ingredients of which can usually be bought individually much cheaper else where. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brass monkey...this is actually a chiropractor who is also  functional medicine dr.  I was hoping to see if my adrenals are shot which I suspect that they are and I think I have too much cortisol.   He is not saying that he can cure the wd.  I am just hoping to get some help determining if I do need supplements if so which ones...I would rather have the test done than guess which supplements to take...does that make sense?

Adrenal fatigue and cortisol problems are two very common things in WD  getting them checked will give you some idea of where you stand.   

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks yes I figured as much...lots of fun...not! Also been cutting back my Diet Coke last three days could that cause nausea and diarrhea or is that most likely withdrawal from Prozac?

I don't find those two on the list, but everything else we know and loth is there.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/07/18/aspartame-withdrawal-symptoms-list-of-possibilities/

Update on me...So on January 7th I took the advice given here and reinstated 10 mg of liquid prozac and them the next day on January 8th I took just 5 mg of liquid prozac. Within 35 minutes of the 10 mg dose on January 7th I had relief from the majority of the intensive withdrawal symptoms.  I was so mad at my self for ever being on these meds that on Saturday January 9th I decided not to take any and I have not taken any sense.  Last week was a mixed bag.  I am dealing with some neck and back pain issues so I spent a good deal of last week trying to deal with that without any medication just chiropractor.  I saw a naturopath and am in the process of getting in with an integrative functional medicine doctor.  I cut out my daily consumption of my diet soda last week and have cut my supplements down to just a fish oil because the naturopath doctor wants me to do a neurotransmitter test along with a hormone test beginning this weekend so he asked me to minimize my supplements until I do the test.  I was able to sleep last week at night and the withdrawal symptoms were very mild.  This weekend was pretty good too until last night when I could not get to sleep until 2:30 am.  I went a couple of days with very little bowel movements.  This morning I had multiple bowel movements and the withdrawal started setting in.  I have had fatigue, blurry vision, panic, heart palpitations, and chills.  The anxiety symptoms really start around noon and peak mid afternoon then start getting better around supper time.  I know it is against advice for me not to stabilize like I should have but I want to see how long I can hold out.  My question is how far back do you think the two doses of prozac over a week ago set me back?  How long do you think it just delayed the withdrawal process?  Also, why do you think on days when I have multiple bowel movements my withdrawal is worse?  

"I was so mad at my self for ever being on these meds that on Saturday January 9th I decided not to take any and I have not taken any sense."

Please don't do this to yourself.  Being angary at oneself is not justification for the misery that you will be experiencing for a very long time.  We know how bad it will get, which is why we keep telling you DON'T DO IT.  Two doses a week ago will make no difference in what's coming.

"I was so mad at my self for ever being on these meds that on Saturday January 9th I decided not to take any and I have not taken any sense."

Please don't do this to yourself.  Being angary at oneself is not justification for the misery that you will be experiencing for a very long time.  We know how bad it will get, which is why we keep telling you DON'T DO IT.  Two doses a week ago will make no difference in what's coming.

So Brassmonkey do you think those two doses made me back at square one or do you think my body did not really register it as being reinstated...???

• Moderator Emeritus

It won't have put you back to square one, but it will have given your CNS another jolt which it now has to deal with on top of everything it was already dealing with. 

There is no magical mysterious force with all this - if you have a brain and CNS which are destabilised then they need you to treat them in a stable manner.  Seeing how long you can hold out for is just playing a game, and you and your brain are worth more than that. 

The fact that you got relief from the reinstatement shows that you were on the right track.  Are you able to take 10mg of Prozac regularly for a month, regardless of what feelings you get along the way? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

It won't have put you back to square one, but it will have given your CNS another jolt which it now has to deal with on top of everything it was already dealing with. 

There is no magical mysterious force with all this - if you have a brain and CNS which are destabilised then they need you to treat them in a stable manner.  Seeing how long you can hold out for is just playing a game, and you and your brain are worth more than that. 

The fact that you got relief from the reinstatement shows that you were on the right track.  Are you able to take 10mg of Prozac regularly for a month, regardless of what feelings you get along the way? 

Karen B....I honestly don't know...well I mean technically yes i could take the 10 mg for a month... I have the medicine here but I may be being fooled but I just feel so close to beating this...I mean for the past few hours I feel almost normal....my symptoms definitely seem to have a pattern....morning anxiety becoming worse by mid afternoon and then becoming much better almost completely leaving in the evening.  I do notice when I eat shortly afterwards I have a spike in anxiety which I can't figure out....do you have any idea why food would affect withdrawal symptoms.  I am not eating anything out of the ordinary.  Thanks for your reply.

• Administrator

It sounds like the reinstatement helped quite a bit. Prozac has a long half-life, so you've benefited from those two doses for more than a week.

We recommend consistent reinstatement, taking the same amount every day for a month or more, because we know it helps people stabilize and heal. It seems even 2.5mg every day might work for you.

If you don't care to do that, it's your decision. Your withdrawal symptoms may or may not go away in weeks or months.

Reinstatement may or may not help later. If you develop prolonged withdrawal syndrome, see our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms, because that's all you'll be able to do.

Eating stimulates some hormones, including histamine, which can be activating. To reduce this symptom, eat small meals often. Eat fresh vegetables and fresh poultry. Do not eat anything with artificial flavorings or additives. Do not eat leftovers, red meat, fish, or cheese. Do not eat any preserved meats, sausage, or bacon. Do not ingest alcohol or fermented foods.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for your reply...you have given me a lot to think about...do you think since eating seems to trigger my symptoms a antihistamine like hydroxyzine would help? I have taken it before and it has helped...I was reluctant to take it everyday because I was afraid if becoming tolerant to it or that it would just be one more thing I would need to tsper off of?

It sounds like the reinstatement helped quite a bit. Prozac has a long half-life, so you've benefited from those two doses for more than a week.

We recommend consistent reinstatement, taking the same amount every day for a month or more, because we know it helps people stabilize and heal. It seems even 2.5mg every day might work for you.

If you don't care to do that, it's your decision. Your withdrawal symptoms may or may not go away in weeks or months.

Reinstatement may or may not help later. If you develop prolonged withdrawal syndrome, see our Symptoms and Self-care forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms, because that's all you'll be able to do.

Eating stimulates some hormones, including histamine, which can be activating. To reduce this symptom, eat small meals often. Eat fresh vegetables and fresh poultry. Do not eat anything with artificial flavorings or additives. Do not eat leftovers, red meat, fish, or cheese. Do not eat any preserved meats, sausage, or bacon. Do not ingest alcohol or fermented foods.

Good to know...I do not drink or eat fish but do take fush oil would this be a problem if I am having histamine issues?

Downtongirl.  It would be very wise to follow Alto's advice and take 2.5mg . On January 7th , you had relief and promptly stopped, because you were mad at yourself. I understand how confusing  this process is, but if you want to get well , you are going to have to be consistent. Since you are off, it might be a good idea to reinstate at this dose. Keep a journal of your symptoms for the next few weeks, and stay as stable as you can. Perhaps read these links:

http://Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

In the early days of withdrawal , it is very easy to think everything is fine. It can take months for the body to register the lack of drug, and that is when the real trouble can begin at 3,6,9,12 months. ( or more) .Many here, can attest to this .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hey AliG...thanks for your reply....I am just so scared to reinstate.  I am afraid if I reinstate at 2.5mg it won't help and I will have to end up back at 10 mg.  Then I am also scared that while holding at 10 mg I will become tolerant to it and have to increase dosage again.  I am also scared because I have read here and other places that people who do a very slow micro taper still end up with the same withdrawal symptoms...If I reinstate aren't I just prolonging the inevitable?

Ok so if I were to reinstate I was just wondering why the 2.5 mg suggestion and how many milliliters of liquid prozac is that?  I am not good with the conversions...sorry.  That is one thing that scares me about reinstating is I am not good at math and the conversions.

D.G.  No. If you reinstate, and it's successful, it will hold off a whole lot of withdrawal symptoms that you will be better off for not having gone through. If it doesn't have the result that you want then you can easily step off at a low dose. However, most here who have done a slow taper, are much better off for it.  It's those who have C/T' ed who have the most regrets. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Ok...so 2.5mg would be .625ml correct?  How will I know if this works?  How many symptoms should it take care of to be considered that it worked? 

• Administrator

I suggested 2.5mg because it seemed as the Prozac wore off, you were doing okay on the lower amounts in your bloodstream as well.

If it works, you will find you feel as you did when you took those two doses before.

Please do not keep changing your mind, this can cause a lot of problems for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Alto for your guidance....I am not quite sure what I am going to do I am still thinking and praying about it.  I took a 10 mg hydroxyzine last night around 1:45 am because I could not sleep.  It did help calm me down some.  I am wondering about it though maybe you have more knowledge on it than me....I have read where it slightly affects serotonin...I know hydroxyzine is an antihistamine used for anxiety so it's main action is on the histamine receptors.  I have felt better today than I did yesterday.  My anxiety and restlessness is not as bad as also my bowel movements are not as frequent.  Do you think this has more to do with the hydroxyzine still in my system or am I coming out of a wave?  Thanks in advance for your support!

• Administrator

We give you the best advice we can. We have suggested reinstatement many, many times. That's the best I can do.

I understand Alto!  If I were to reinstate should I wait until tomorrow morning to take the 2.5 mg dose or go ahead and take it this evening?  The reason i ask is I used to take it in the mornings and I am starting school tomorrow so I don't know if I should test the waters tonight in the event I have a bad reaction?

• Administrator

Take it as you usually take it. Taking it when you're starting school is not ideal timing, but it will have to do.

It's always better to try an experiment on a weekend or holiday.

Ok so I just took .6ml of prozac...I have one of the tiny milliliter syringes and as close as I could get it was .6ml.  I am still not sure this is what I want to do but I guess with school I really don't have any choice.  How long do people have to usually hold before they can begin tapering again?  I just want to cry...I so hate this!

• Moderator Emeritus

People hold until they have reached a stable point and then given it some extra time - to be sure they are not rushing.  Keep symptom notes on paper and they can be a useful guide.  Because you have been so up and down, I'd want to hold at least a month before considering the next step.

Rushing is a problem  and changing your mind is a problem.

Go slow and steady and give yourself a real good chance this time - you can get there.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Ok Karen B.,  I am honestly and truly going to try....how will I know if the .6ml is enough for now?  I know that is a silly question but I know the symptoms that I need to disappear for school and that is to be able to concentrate, sleep, and not have the panic feelings.  If the .6 ml of prozac could do that then I would feel it was where I needed to hold....how long do I give this dose before I decide it is a good dose to hold or if I need to go up?  I think I have read here 4 days?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hiya DG , yes , at least 4 days.  Then you can determine if you want to increase the dose.

If you're getting a noticeable dampening of symptoms , stick with that and reassess after 2 more weeks.

After a hiccup like you've had , it's advisable to say on that dose for 2-3 months.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh....I registered to go back to college after 20 some years of not being in school in December when I was doing well and did not realize prozac withdrawal could hit 3 months out from the last dosage.  I am so nervous about it.  I can't concentrate for squat right now.  Classes begin tomorrow but the first day of actual book work is Tuesday so maybe I will feel better.  Do you know of anyone on this board who has successfully completed the prozac liquid taper and was able to remain off and be healed?  I have searched the success forums and other forums but it looks like when people get to zero or close to zero they have to repeatedly increase their dosage.  I think a member by the name of strawberry comes to mind...?