Altostrata

PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Lloyd
On 10/8/2018 at 5:52 AM, India said:

They cannot admit it because then they admit their negligence, their harm. Hannah Arendt, the German philosopher called it "the banality of evil" after eichmann said of authorising Hitler's final solution, "I was just following orders".  I'm sorry everyone is going through this. 

I gave up on talking to psychiatrists about the damage done to me by anti depressants. They know everything & its all in my head - how wonderful they have a complete & irrefutable understanding of how the human brain works. I'm sure that's what they thought back when they were performing lobotomy's on unsuspecting vulnerable children. God forbid if the drugs they are prescribing actually do more harm than good, these people would be out of jobs and we cant have that!

btdt
9 hours ago, Lloyd said:

I gave up on talking to psychiatrists about the damage done to me by anti depressants. They know everything & its all in my head - how wonderful they have a complete & irrefutable understanding of how the human brain works. I'm sure that's what they thought back when they were performing lobotomy's on unsuspecting vulnerable children. God forbid if the drugs they are prescribing actually do more harm than good, these people would be out of jobs and we cant have that!

try Healy https://rxisk.org/post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/#How_long_do_sexual_side_effects_last_after_stopping

How long do sexual side effects last after stopping?

When sexual side effects persist after the antidepressant is stopped, there is no specific timescale for recovery.

Some people report a certain degree of natural improvement over a period of time – sometimes months or years after stopping the antidepressant. However, the term “recovery” in this sense can be misleading as closer scrutiny often reveals that there hasn’t been a full return to pre-drug state.

Many sufferers fail to recover to any significant degree, with some having had the problem for over 20 years without any sign of improvement.

For some people, PSSD may be permanent.

Thinking I fall into the above category.... nothing to see here same old thing. 

btdt
9 hours ago, Lloyd said:

if all else fails remember this quote from the quote page I did not get a link but I will

“If is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it”

as4.gif Upton Sinclair quotes (AKA: Upton Beall Sinclair, Jr. American Novelist and polemicist, 1878-1968)

btdt
9 hours ago, Lloyd said:

try Healy https://rxisk.org/post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/#How_long_do_sexual_side_effects_last_after_stopping

link to page of good quotes.... for wd

Shar244

Thanks Noloft, your positivity is uplifting :) 

I try to have the same mindset as you - people are a lot worse off in this crazy world. I also hold onto hope as in 2 years there has been SLIGHT day to day improvement for me and also some ‘windows’

I just wondered if some of you are in the UK? (If I’m allowed to ask)

Sending love and hope to you all guys 

leopardus2

So, posting here on behalf of my girlfriend.

She just turned 50 and is menopausal since about one year.

She's absolutely not depressed but four months ago her doctor prescribed her Zoloft as she was suffering of  light anxiety,

but shortly after starting taking that she became unable to climax. We have been reading about this side effect a lot and she decided to

quit taking Zoloft after about a couple months - after all, she was not really in need for an anti depressant medication in the first place!

Now, after about one month since she stopped taking it, still she is unable to have an orgasm.

She can always  reach the climax point but it never ... triggers.

While I understand that PSSD is an unknown territory so it is impossible to know how long it would take to recover

from the situation, I would like to hear if any other woman in this forum has had this exact same situation

(arriving almost there but then it does not happen), and if has eventually recovered from it.

Thanks in advance

Rick

India
On 1/8/2019 at 2:41 PM, btdt said:

For some people, PSSD may be permanent.

I think we have to be very careful when we say. I am nowhere near being healed but in my most ill periods this statement used to invoke terror in me. Healing has sure been slow for me but there is progress. What do other's think?

btdt
9 hours ago, India said:

I think we have to be very careful when we say. I am nowhere near being healed but in my most ill periods this statement used to invoke terror in me. Healing has sure been slow for me but there is progress. What do other's think?

In withdrawal people have what here long ago coined "neuro emotions" just about anything can invoke terror... let alone the idea of not ever having an orgasm or real man woman type relationship again... to tell you the truth while it is or was or can be a huge part of a normal life sex was not that big a deal when I was in hard withdrawal sex was the last thing on my mind surviving was paramount... for the terror inducing parts of withdrawal ... could be anything... check the pages her for neuro emotions... idea there can help you get an handle on these issues. 

ChessieCat

And another story of PSSD recovery:

39 minutes ago, theelt712 said:

I It’s been so many years since I was on this forum. I decided to check in on this site because I saw a post online that mentioned a website that reminded me of this forum. PSSD honestly was one of the WD symptoms that took extremely long to recover from — I finished all meds from a short taper in May 2013, and I considered my PSSD about 70% healed in late 2017, when I started to notice hormonal changes. 

What honestly worked for me was time. I hope that you are doing well these days. Sometimes, things take time and the only way out is through. Sending peace and kindness.

btdt

in case people are triggering neuro emotions with this topic 

Asi1309

I would like to suggest meditation!, I began losing my libido shortly after starting an ssri's, and I found that after starting meditation strictly, I would experience more sexual thoughts and desires and wet dreams, I think sexuality has a lot to do with your state of mind body, think about when you're were depressed before the drugs you didn't even think about sex or anything related besides the usual fap here or there.

What I'm trying to say is that it made me feel a connection to my body like never before and allow me to experience calm and sexuality better even during drug induced sexual dysfunction, I'm not comparing anything here, but maybe meditation can rewire those connections it has a lot to do with stress and mental clarity, and meditation teaches you that there is a lot going on beneath the surface, you're experiencing emotions sensations everything, and when the creek is full and not *flowing* other things will not operate as they should, we are not just sexual beasts we are humans with complex mechanisms of work and sex does not come above all!

Maybe there is work to be done to tap into those sexual desires and sensations.

I would like to keep in mind a few things:

1. ssri's change the body, and the body needs time to get itself back to its natural form, it may seems like hey it been 3 years ! and you're still not there, but your body is like hey man I'm still working on that, I know its frustrating, but throw those calendars away and let the body be the only timer.

2. As we know ssri's cause the nervous system to go whack, the cns, is responsible for everything in your body maybe it didn't settle yet, how can your body think of sex when you're still body is still in shock,  you may not feel like it,  you may feel fine but your body is a gentle system and if you're really think about it, it needs time and nurture, stop counting the years, and maybe explore methods of healing, 

Meditation taught me that there is a difference between what we expect something to be than it actually is, like when I really started meditation back then , when I really started to listen to what the teacher had to say (headspace), I began to realize that there is a natural stream or river that flow in us, be the thoughts the feelings etc, simply said, we need to think those thoughts and feel those feelings in a natural state for things to start to move, it's like metamorphosis, only when you practice in this sort of way things can come to the surface, and I learned quickly that things would only shutdown, when you try to impose yourself on them, it's like the flower that closes when you touch it, sexuality has everything to do with your thoughts, feelings and soul as you think they aren't,  when I was younger engaging in a sexual act, required preparation, been in the right mindset very precise I would say, been in touch with my inner world of thoughts and fantasies and i would feel about myself that moment, so its absolutely wrong to assume it's about hammering a nail and it should work, I think when we go on an ssri' we cut connection with ourselves, mostly with been in touch with ourself, maybe exploring this aspect can help many, it occured to me that a lot of people report an improvement in their pssd when they're having a good day,  I think it's not a coincidence, I'll suggest to stop looking at yourself like a piece of meat and to explore maybe there are other things below the surface that clog you from experiencing those feelings, looking at yourself in this cold mechanical way, is what got all of us into those pills in the first play, feeling happy or not, that's not how it works,  meditation allowed me to see that there is a lot going on inside us , inside our realms, we are not just pieces of meat, not everything can be measured,  or can be solved if we make this switch go on or this gene turned off,  whoever thinks that way , and supports this description of a human being is no better for me then psychiatry.

All of this, is not to be rude or not understanding,  its simply me offering a solution, 

When I was on these meds, who turned up on me and made me suicidal daily after 2 years on them the only thing that helped me was meditation,  it's not just about helped or not, it's so much more then that, is the most powerful instrument anybody can have in their life, and I'm not exaggerating,  meditation will change how you feel and act, you will begin to understand that things are not just working or not working, it's a much complex thing that you can only understand when you truly submit yourself to it.

After exiting the psych ward I have been submitted to by myslef,  for feeling so agitated everyday for 2.5 years , and feeling urges to kill myself for no reason, I have left the door of the psych ward , and wander how am I going to tell my parent and family, that I just feel the same,

I originally wanted to go do ect in there,  I was certain,  its the only thing that would help.

Anyway I decided to commit myslef to meditation one last time,  it will be this or I'll commit suicide I have told myself, what came after this was my most productive and insightful time , I had In years, but it also helped me understand I need to get off those meds, there was something in me, a lot to be precise I couldn't reach...

Edited by ChessieCat
added space

Sadboy

Hello everyone.

I am a 22 year old student who is now 10 months off 5 month zoloft use. My main symptoms that remain are feelings of disconnect which gives me some sort of social anxiety, anhedonic,  and no libido. I Just recently found out about pssd and how its symptoms are anhedonia, feelings of disconnect and no libido. I am now scared shitless that i have a permanent situation going on instead of withdrawal or something. I was prepared waiting for withdrawal since i have accepted that. But now i have the feeling I have to do something about the situation, and that this is not going to fix itself. Also the pssd forums are very triggering. I have been in tears the past 2 days and not able to sleep because I think i have this permanent situation going on, it feels the same as the start of the withdrawal, like i am back to square one. What is your opinion about this whole pssd situation My libido does differentiate a little sometimes, i dont think its completely and utterly castrated. I can have erections. I am soooo scared and i think its neuro-emotions doing their work. Doesn't anhedonia always come with lack of libido? And do you guys have succes stories about the anhedonia and feelings of disconnect. Because to be honoust, thats what i fear the most. Never feeling myself again. And if i have to believe the people on the pssd forums that will be my future.

hennie86

I want to share my story about PSSD and growing to an adult when using SSRIs. This is a long story but I have so much to say about this subject.

I used Lexapro from the time when I was still a really young adult (18) or a teenager.  I was also prescribed Mirtazapine so I used a combination of meds. So I spent almost my whole adulthood using SSRIs and later other psych meds that were prescribed to me during SSRI withdrawal. Too long, and I was not talked about problems or risks with long term use. Nowadays I understand how huge impact it had on me, on my romantic relationships and my sexuality and sexual function. I am so sad I started to use those meds when I was still growing to adulthood, psychologically and physically, spending all that time using these mind altering drugs called "antidepressants", thinking I had some kind of chemical imbalance in my brain, thinking these drugs fixed my depression and I thought I seriously needed these drugs. I did not either questioned the medical model understanding human distress that I sure do now, when I am older and hopefully a little bit wiser. 🙂 I do not talk about my emotions as depression anymore even though I sometimes get depressed thoughts. When I was younger, I saw myself through diagnosis.

I formed my first romantic relationships when using SSRIS. I started to suffer from some kind of milder form of sexual dysfunction almost the time I started the meds and I was not informed about this adverse effect at all by doctor. I was so young and naive when starting those drugs and was not able to question any of the things psychiatrist said about why I needed antidepressants or how they would help me, how they work and had no idea how negative effect these drugs would have on me. It was worse when my dose was lifted to 20 mg when I started to really understand the negative effect these meds had on me. It was maximum dose. Back then it was really difficult to talk to a doctor about these kind of issues or  sexual problems.

At first I did not care about the problems. I still was able to enjoy about sex but I had problems with sensation, pleasure and orgasm. But year by year and when the dose grew the problems get worse. Two things that disturbed me the more about SSRIs were head zaps and feeling awful when I forgot my dose, and sexual dysfunction that was worse when using bigger amount of Lexapro. I really started to feel dependent on the drug. Those were things that disturbed me when I still thought that my meds were helping. I think sexual problems went hand in hand with other problems that this med cause that I did not understand while using it. Those things were motivation problems, and emotional blunting making me feel less empathetic and less caring about things that happened around me. Sexual dysfuntion is like some sort of emotional blunting, going hand in hand with it. What is sad, in some part of the time I thought propably that drug adverse effects were part of my illness or depression.

In one point I started to feel the drugs as a burden. I started to understand they did not help me the way they did and I started to feel worried about the way I felt when using them. I did not feel okay using them. I think it was the bigger dose I was getting a lot of problems with. I was stupid and cold turkeyed my meds just because I did not want to continue taking them. I did not know how dangerous it would be because doctor had talked about these drugs to me when she prescribed them to me that they dont cause addiction  and I could stop them whenever I want. First time I stopped my meds I had luck. It took months to feel okay again but I slowly started to get better and got my libido and sensation back.

Unfortunately I started to get panic attacks and anxiety and doctor suggested me to start escitalopram again with small dose of Seroquel for anxiety as needed. I have no idea why I agreed to start bigger dose. Maybe I remembered just the positive things about lexapro that I felt in the beginning of the first time I used it. The doctor thought that because I had used bigger dose, I would need it that time also. But I pretty soon remembered why bigger dose was not better and slowly tapered off it to half of the dose pretty soon after starting. I still had some sort of sex life back then and I got some kind of pleasure but I developed some sort of sexual problems again. I am not sure about these drugs positive effect on depression but they sure have an effect on sexuality, negative kind of effect.

I was not fine using escitalopram and sexual dysfunction but just accepted this problems as a part of drug treatment that would go away when I would stop the drug. In that point I did not know this drug could cause PSSD.  I used escitalopram for years and  still thought it would somehow help me. I knew how difficult it would be to get off from it. I postponed tapering because I had a lot to do in my life and getting off the drug at the same time was difficult.

Finally I decided to taper it off. I used too little time for it. Rest from this story has been a nightmare and this experience changed my life so much in negative way I have no words. This time my sexuality did not come back and it has been almost four years from the time I stopped escitalopram. I feel like my sexual dysfunction and problems with sensation have been even worse after tapering, like it triggered some kind of even worse sexual dysfunction, complete PSSD. I feel completely numb and I have forgot what is like to have sexual feelings. When years go by, I feel like I dont even remember what it was like before. When I was prescribed crazy amount of polypharmacy being in psych ward after SSRI withdrawal, I havent had any kind of sexual feelings after it. Benzos and antipsychotics were even worse than SSRIs and I am pretty sure they cause sexual dysfunction too. Like I dont have any sexuality anymore, no libido, I dont feel any kind of sexual feelings and I feel numb. This is traumatic experience and difficult to talk about. I am still relatively young person and I am in long term relationship (how PSSD affects to would be a complete other story).  What is the worst thing, is having PSSD even so big problem, compared to other problems I have had from these meds that have been truly horrible. And what is also terrible, is how people who prescribe these drugs dont understand PSSD and all other issues these drugs cause that can continue after meds. PSSD is just one problem these drugs cause to CNS and hormones and so on. They cause so many problems and mess the body. Multiple drugs really have messed my body and its functions. Sexual problems are just one part of the problems.

I still use a little amount of sleeping pill (benzo) that I have been tapering off really slowly. Insomnia was the first reason i was prescribed meds in ssri withdrawal and insomnia is still an issue for me. I hope when I finally stop this med, I would start to recover and hopefully in some point this PSSD would be better, I still have a little bit of hope. I have a lot of trauma also from these experiences that can have an effect on me emotionally and have a negative effect to my sexuality. But I have become really pessimistic will I recover because I feel like using that awful amount of sedatives and polypharmacy messed me up so bad I have no idea will I recover. I was already damaged with SSRIs and messed with WD when I started using those other drugs. I feel like I am not the person I was, I am like a shell of a person I was. Positive thing is emotional blunting is a little bit better the less drugs I use. Time will show will I recover from PSSD.

Leo1983

Hi.

I just want to let people know for about 6 month of withdrawal i had genital numbness, difficuly achieving orgasm however it went away and my genitals relaxed and became more normal in appearance. Not numb basically.

Im 9 month now. Still all fine however i find due to emotional numbness i dont feel rhe drive i once did for sex. However if i want sex i have no issue at all now. 

What i do find is after orgasm my symptoms can get worse. 

I would not normally discuss this but i hope people see i got better eventually.

Zeipii

Good for you! It seems natural healing can happen within 6-12 months. 

Altostrata

We don't claim that healing occurs within 6-12 months, we only know it's very gradual, frustrating, and can take a long time.

This site is collecting people's experiences for that purpose -- to observe the course of recovery.