PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Altostrata

So is PSSD permanent? Because there's a lot of conflicting information from what I have read.

this is an article I read about it. Where a guy went to a doctor and was told his sexual function may not necessarily go back to normal. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/11/03/antidepressants-were-supposed-to-help-me-but-they-ended-up-making-me-impotent-7995216/amp/

the only thing I noticed for me is that my sex drive and orgasms come back to full strength for like ten minutes on random days . After a week or two. But if I try having a second orgasm on the same day it's weak. 

Drugs I have been on- Vyvanse 30mg, Adderal, citalopram 30mg, Zoloft 20mg, rexulti 10mg,Wellbutrin, Lexapro 20mg, buspar, Prozac 20mg, Trazodone 50mg, Ritalin 20mg.

some of them I can't remember doses for. 

was on on Zoloft, Ritalin, and adderal between the ages of 11-13. Then I was on Celexa and Vyvanse, between the ages of 13-21. Don't remember exact dates. 

Then when I went off the celexa and Vyvanse abruptly and went on all of the other medications. Between the ages of 21 and 22. 

I saw psychiatrist for about 3 months and was put on most of them on and off. I think it was the other SSRI's besides celexa and Zoloft , buspar, Wellbutrin, and rexulti. 

Then I went inpatient a few times after that where it was diagnosed as a recurrence of depression and went on and off medications like celexa, Trazodone, and most recently about 3-4 weeks ago EMSam. I have been completely off medication since than.

supplements- magnesium 250mg, and 2 omega 3's. 

I'm so glad it isn't just me...

To make things weirder, I've been on anti-depressants since I was 9. I feel like I missed out on an entire part of puberty. I even considered myself asexual for a few years, before I realized that I do have an interest in sex. Just not much of one, most of the time. It is there, it just feels majorly suppressed, and because of how young I was when I started SSRIs, it's a whole new part of myself I'm only beginning to discover at age 26.

~2001 (Age 9) - Effexor 75mg

~2003? - Tapered to 0. Lasted about one year before relapse.

~2004? - Effexor 75mg

2010 - 2013 - Risperdal and other antipsychotics short term to try and deal with violent thoughts (which I now think may have been a side effect of the antidepressants)

~2013 - Tapered to 0. Lasted about one year before relapse and eating disorder.

2014 - Prozac 80mg

October 2018 - Prozac 80mg -> 60mg

May 9, 2019 - Began Taper. Alternating 60mg/50mg daily.

June 9, 2019 - 50mg daily.

After being told I'd need antidepressants of at least a small dosage for my entire life... I'm now trying to see if I can prove that wrong 🙏

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Hey everyone! Unfortunately medication side-effects can be permanent. But I feel there are a lot more people out there who recover and never speak of their sexual issues.

I didn't recover for about 5-7-10 years. It was gradual, after only a year on various meds, I was "ruined" for years. But I wasn't ruined. I am whole again.

I think in time many can and will recover.

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

4 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Hey everyone! Unfortunately medication side-effects can be permanent. But I feel there are a lot more people out there who recover and never speak of their sexual issues.

I didn't recover for about 5-7-10 years. It was gradual, after only a year on various meds, I was "ruined" for years. But I wasn't ruined. I am whole again.

I think in time many can and will recover.

2 years 7 months off for me now and it has felt like a lifetime. It must have been amazing for you to finally heal! Would you say you’re 100% back to pre med state now? I hope I’m one of the lucky ones! Take care :) 

Sertaline (Zoloft)

25mg increased to 50mg after 2-3 weeks 

Mid Oct 2016 - Mid Dec 2016 

I also took Propranalol as and when/on and off from 2012 to 2016

PSSD can last years and years and years 

my only suggestion:

dont kill yourself

eat omega 3 meats in small amounts, sashimi/eggs

and most importantly 

megadose citrulline along with citrulline rich foods, yellow watermelon juice, beet juice, cucumber juice 

use 10 grams a day, work yourself up, and stay on for a month... 

only advice 

I have been in a wave with this PSSD for about 6 weeks now. Genitals as numb as ever, zero libido, pleasure less orgasms. I had quite a good window through April and May and was feeling fairly confident i had put the bad waves behind me, but then the rug was pulled out from underneath me. Yet again. It is quite hard to stay positive.

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

8 minutes ago, Spruce30 said:

I have been in a wave with this PSSD for about 6 weeks now. Genitals as numb as ever, zero libido, pleasure less orgasms. 

Hi,

Do you find any improvements in your PSSD ??

Yes i do rowdybaby098, but the improvements are small, and some days i feel i am going to be an old man before i recover.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

• Mentor
On 7/8/2019 at 4:16 AM, Shar244 said:

2 years 7 months off for me now and it has felt like a lifetime. It must have been amazing for you to finally heal! Would you say you’re 100% back to pre med state now? I hope I’m one of the lucky ones! Take care :)

Yes, I am 100% … I can say with absolute certainty that I am recovered from SSRI side-effects.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

Just so we don't forget. A year ago today a young man called Ali from Iran who used to post on the PSSD facebook group took his own life. He was 23 and posted just before taking his life, that he was doing so because he could no longer live with PSSD. I just wanted to remember him on here. Please everyone with PSSD,  let us keep going for Ali's sake, and let us not stop until the world becomes aware of this hell called PSSD, and all the other withdrawal problems from SSRI's too. We must not stop until the world knows the truth of what happened to us.

Let me tell my story,

Took Escitalopram 5mg for 1 month. Cold turkeyed it. In October 2018. It's been around 9 months off from Escitalopram.

Suffering with PSSD. No morning erections. No libido. Nothing at all....

Last month I started taking 5grams of black maca powder along with watermelon juice or warm milk. Added fish in my diet (4 times in a week). Hitting gym(mainly focusing on Squats and dead lifts and cardio moderately).

With in 10 days I got my first morning wood. Very less improvement in libido. 

It's been around 30 days since I am on this life style. Random erections are improved. Slight improvement in libido. 

I don't know wether it is a proper observation or not, 5 days back one random girl near one traffic signal turned me ON!!! I felt completely normal for 2 minutes. After that again back to low libido state. 

11 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Yes, I am 100% … I can say with absolute certainty that I am recovered from SSRI side-effects.

So happy for you! Only the people that are going through/have been through this will understand the complete and utter desperation to be back to normal. You’ve given me hope.. just wish I could fast forward the years and see what the future holds. It’s the not knowing that often worries me so much, if I knew I’d be ok in say 5 years time it wouldn’t play on my mind every day! 

Do you have any any advice that you think helped you to recover? Or would you just put it down to time? 

Thanks, Shar 

Sertaline (Zoloft)

25mg increased to 50mg after 2-3 weeks 

Mid Oct 2016 - Mid Dec 2016 

I also took Propranalol as and when/on and off from 2012 to 2016

• Mentor
On 7/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, Shar244 said:

So happy for you! Only the people that are going through/have been through this will understand the complete and utter desperation to be back to normal. You’ve given me hope.. just wish I could fast forward the years and see what the future holds. It’s the not knowing that often worries me so much, if I knew I’d be ok in say 5 years time it wouldn’t play on my mind every day! 

Do you have any any advice that you think helped you to recover? Or would you just put it down to time? 

Thanks, Shar 

You're welcome, I felt the need to share my story with others on this site. In 2010-2015 I was very distressed about PSSD. I was alone and couldn't really talk to anyone. I thought it would never end. I found this website, people here helped me. It was on outlet, where I could share my feelings and was given support from strangers.

I feel this website is much better than other support forums. Thanks to the creators, administrators and especially.

Though I don't post, or visit often. I came back after years to share "My Story" that recovery is very possible. I always like to mention the bell-curve of recovery. Everyone is somewhere on the curve. No one knows what the future holds... I can understand the worry, but we don't know what happens after we die. Does that play on your mind everyday?

I have been "through the mill" in the past 10 years. I didn't expect it, or worry about it, until after. But troubles come and go. I think it's better to not know the future. Though I do think about death of course.

What helped me recover? It was time, I didn't do anything really. Supplements I tried were bad. Abstinence from drugs is what I would recommend. But I'm not a Dr.!

I think that, belief, faith or hope. That you will recover is important. I think that eating right and exercising is helpful. It fills time and can make you feel good, once you're into a routine. Fruit smoothies are great! But faith in recovery surely counted for something.

I knew I would change and recover, I let things be for a few years, and everything went back to normal "downstairs."

God Bless You.

My success story: 

• Administrator

Thanks, CharlieBrown, and thanks for your success story

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Thanks, CharlieBrown, and thanks for your success story

Oops! A typo in my last post. "THANKS ESPECIALLY TO THE ADMINISTRAITORS" Thanks for posting "My Story." I am grateful for the avenue this website has given me, to help myself and others.

That means you Altostrata! and all the others who have given me support over the years. (Sorry, I won't name you all now, but you know who you are.) I am truly grateful for everyone who has conversed with me.

It's satisfying to me and helpful to others, I know there are many people who recover from side-effects and never speak of them before or after. I want to be a voice that says: "It may take years, it will be hard, but in time, your body changes and recovery from medication side-effects is not only possible it is highly probable!"

If anyone is in doubt, look at the numbers of people prescribed SSRI's or other meds, and then compare that to people speaking and complaining about chronic issues related to the drugs.

Many people will not express the full extent of the side-effects they experience, or even know what reactions in their body may be occurring. (It is now reported that over 50% of SSRI users have some form of sexual dysfunction.) I feel the majority of post SSRI/SNRI/Anti-psychotic/Benzodiazepine/Whatever else. Drug users are ashamed of PSSD and other mental side-effects. The social stigma keeps them from speaking about current pain, and once they have their issues resolved, they want to distance themselves from any thought of previous sexual dysfunction or mental instability.

Thanks again Altostrata and others!

For anyone struggling, know you are not alone, though you may feel it. There is a light. Hold fast!

My success story: 

i only took 1 dose of Setraline 50mg in march and suffering from for pssd for 4 and a half months symptoms are as follows: emotional blunting, anhedonia,apathy, no sex drive, difficulty maintaining erections,brain fog and memory loss. is this likely to last a long time or even possibly be permenant from a single pill? i only was able to find out about the dangers of SSRI's after taking it unfortunately :(

People do recover Pgad Adam, but it can take a long time, often many years

1 minute ago, Spruce30 said:

People do recover Pgad Adam, but it can take a long time, often many years

have u talked with other people who have it from single pill?

Yes. It can happen after one pill

Each time I have dropped down in medication dosage I have noticed increasing issues with PE. 

When I am taking a higher dosage or a mid-level dosage of Cymbalta steadily, I have no issues with lasting a decent/average amount of time. But now that I have been experiencing some withdrawals (really just emotional), I am wondering if once my system stabilized and/or once Im completely off the medication after tapering off correctly, if this is an issue that should resolve itself??

ANTI-DEPRESSANTS (approximates):

2000--2009/10. Zoloft, mid-high dosage. Alprazolam, as needed, rarely. 

2009/10--2016/17. Cymbalta, 90 mg

Early 2017--Mid-2017. Cymbalta, 60 mg

Mid-2017--Jan 2018. Cymbalta, 30--60 mg, reduced in 30 mg increments w/o physical w/d symptoms, possibly some emotional w/d symptoms. Mar 2018--Early 2019. Back on Cymbalta, fluctuating dosages from 30 to 90mg. Reduced from 60 to 30, then from 30 to 0 again, this time WITH very light physical w/d symptoms. Back to 30mg. Early 2019--April 2019. Cymbalta, 30mg. Down from 30 to 0. Physical w/d symptoms again. Back to 30mg. May 2019. Cymbalta 30 mg. Down to 20 mid-month. Started taking every other day in final week of the month. 

Jun 2019. Cymbalta 10-ish mg. Started “eyeballing” about half of the beads in the capsule. Taking every other day, then at mid-month every 4 days. 

July 2, 2019. Took last dose of “eyeballed” 5-ish mg. July 24, 2019. Took first reinstatement dose of 2mg. Dropped down to 1mg (6 beads) the very next day.

Aug 6, 2019. Up-dose to 1.33 mg. Aug 30, 2019. Up-dose to 1.5 mg. 

SUPPLEMENTS

Vitamin D3 4,000 IU/day

alto you are incredibly informative and well versed in withdrawal, there seems to be one conclusion from your findings, that there is no clear cut answer, maybe the body will heal itself in its own time, but proper diet and some very mild supplements can be somewhat beneficial? it seems you are just encouraging patience more then anything else. 

• Moderator Emeritus

See: 

Alto mentions the return of her sexual responses in this post.

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 7/18/2019 at 8:31 AM, CharlieBrown said:

Any tips & tricks? :)

Read your success story so nv.

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

On 7/10/2019 at 6:51 AM, Ryguy said:

PSSD can last years and years and years 

my only suggestion:

dont kill yourself

eat omega 3 meats in small amounts, sashimi/eggs

and most importantly 

megadose citrulline along with citrulline rich foods, yellow watermelon juice, beet juice, cucumber juice 

use 10 grams a day, work yourself up, and stay on for a month... 

only advice 

Hey Ryguy and thanks for your advices.

How much citrulline do you take and with/without food?  Do you believe supplementing with citrulline will create permanent results or just temporal like with Cialis?

Do you press your own juice everyday or whats your routine?

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Just now, frasier23 said:

Hey Ryguy,

How much citrulline do you take and with/without food?  Do you believe supplementing with citrulline will create permanent results or just temporal like with Cialis?

Do you press your own juice everyday or whats your routine?

hey frasier23, 

i use supplements, nitric oxide pills, they are completely natural, zero side effects or anything, and also drink pressed juices, either from whole foods or i do it myself, usually watermelon/cucumber for citrulline content, but in all honesty ive been doing it for about 3 months now, and id say the progress is about 5-7% %, its noticeable on some level , but i don't think its going to get me passed 5-7% , because i think the damage my body has taken from SSRIS has nothing to do with increasing nitric oxide. or if it does, its only a small piece in the puzzle....i think my body just needs to heal...but taking nitric oxide supplements and drinking pressed juices certainly won't do any harm , in fact it might be a healthy addition to whatever your diet is currently.... 

12 minutes ago, Ryguy said:

hey frasier23, 

i use supplements, nitric oxide pills, they are completely natural, zero side effects or anything, and also drink pressed juices, either from whole foods or i do it myself, usually watermelon/cucumber for citrulline content, but in all honesty ive been doing it for about 3 months now, and id say the progress is about 5-7% %, its noticeable on some level , but i don't think its going to get me passed 5-7% , because i think the damage my body has taken from SSRIS has nothing to do with increasing nitric oxide. or if it does, its only a small piece in the puzzle....i think my body just needs to heal...but taking nitric oxide supplements and drinking pressed juices certainly won't do any harm , in fact it might be a healthy addition to whatever your diet is currently.... 

Sure is man., I drink a lot of various juices myself and I believe it is a factor in healing plus it keeps me motivated. I may start doing some l-citrulline myself, will keep you updated. Ive tried Arginine in the past (before all mental stuff) and my experience is that the effects wears of pretty quickly (within weeks) but maybe my dose was too high. 

Are you able to regularly exercise / sun bath / other healthy things  today?

45 minutes ago, frasier23 said:

Sure is man., I drink a lot of various juices myself and I believe it is a factor in healing plus it keeps me motivated. I may start doing some l-citrulline myself, will keep you updated. Ive tried Arginine in the past (before all mental stuff) and my experience is that the effects wears of pretty quickly (within weeks) but maybe my dose was too high. 

Are you able to regularly exercise / sun bath / other healthy things  today?

Yeah I’m not entirely sure how long the supplements last either and how significant the impact is, but also I’ve laid off from taking too many things because almost anything seems to activate mental issues...i Barely ever sunbath but I sometimes do, lying down for more then a few minutes gets my heart rate up unfortunately , also exercise has been out of the question for me for years. I have what’s called exercise intolerance , my body is already in fight of flight mode so when I start running , it just gives up immediately, was not like that before the withdrawal and the meds, in fact I used to run regularly ...stuff has taken everything from me, but I’m going to take everything back , I won’t let big pharma win 

• 2 weeks later...

@CharlieBrown meant nvm , nevermind (read your story instead). Im having similiar mindset / strategy as you and I believe thats the only way forward for longterm success. I try to be open to all solutions though except for medicines.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 8/8/2019 at 5:15 PM, frasier23 said:

@CharlieBrown meant nvm , nevermind (read your story instead). Im having similiar mindset / strategy as you and I believe thats the only way forward for longterm success. I try to be open to all solutions though except for medicines.

Silly me! I am surprised I didn't realize that right away.

Yes, I believe, medicines and supplements are a band-aid, temporary patch, for deeper issues. Though as I've grown, I am wary of certain spiritual practices.

My success story: 

On 9/4/2019 at 10:32 PM, CharlieBrown said:

Silly me! I am surprised I didn't realize that right away.

Yes, I believe, medicines and supplements are a band-aid, temporary patch, for deeper issues. Though as I've grown, I am wary of certain spiritual practices.

Yes its easy to turn to spiritual things when lost.  Though Ive found stability in believing in different concepts like , "truth will always come to surface", karma, optional life afther death etc. It has brought a lot of piece and stability but existential thinking can make people psychotic / more psychotic if dwelled on at a sensitive episode in life , I know :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Although I still have a whole host of symptoms affecting my capacity to be a part of life I want to report on significant progress in respect to pssd. For at least 6-8 months after a basic ct from citalopram and a reinstatement in September 2018,   I felt completely numb down below. I couldn’t orgasm. I had a high sex drive before taking meds and a medium one on the meds. Eventually, in WD, I was able to orgasm but if the intensity of my orgasms on the meds were 7/10, this was 1/10. 

Fast forward; I was lucky enough to meet someone who was both romantic, sensual and compassionate to my situation . I consider it a sort of gift from the universe. He was working for 6 months here and hoping to play on the music scene before he had to return to europe to further his studies . I don’t have much interaction with people but it so happened  I went to his shop regularly  and we got talking. 

He is a beautiful soul and slowly we got intimate. lo and behold, I found my ability to feel sexually much increased. The intensity of my orgasms back to 7 or 8/10. He didnt put pressure on me but seemed to know my body well. I had multiple orgasms with him too, impossible before . 

i’m not sure how this progress happened but I think without me realising it I was slowly healing in that department. He also cooked for me and looked after me when I couldn’t get out of bed which gave me extra energy for recovery which I think helped this aspect also .

I hope sharing this will give hope. I think we all have different paths in terms of the time line of symptom recovery. Unfortunately, my cognitive/memory  blocks have not taken same trajectory but I should be grateful for this. 

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

On 1/8/2019 at 5:11 AM, Lloyd said:

I gave up on talking to psychiatrists about the damage done to me by anti depressants. They know everything & its all in my head - how wonderful they have a complete & irrefutable understanding of how the human brain works. I'm sure that's what they thought back when they were performing lobotomy's on unsuspecting vulnerable children. God forbid if the drugs they are prescribing actually do more harm than good, these people would be out of jobs and we cant have that!

Cognitive dissonance + arrogance/superiority complex  = a  combination i’d like to avoid. Those who admit their ignorance are safer. 

A number of philosophers call for the need to respect the limits of human knowledge ?? ( can’t remember  exactly who due to memory issues)

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

How is everyone feeling now? Time for an update maybe?

I have been in bad situation and its been 2yrs 7 months off SSRI for me. i had windows early on when i thought i was going to recover.

now things are bad and no window for 1 year actually. How are you guys doing

mild depression: took effaxor XR 75mg From nov 2016 - feb 2017 for 4 months

PSSD : Since then along with continuing withdrawal.

cognition problems, headache , fatigue, concentration problems, anhedonia, PSSD ( erection 2/10, Libido1/10, orgasm 4/10) 

no significant improvements in any withdrawal symptoms or any PSSD symptoms

• 2 weeks later...

Pssd it’s caused by ADs, but it’s the same when is from APs? I think it’s worse when you take APs . Any idea ? I used to have a very hi lívido , after taking abilify for a month I’m complete impotent. I’m taper of APs . I have shirnk penis and feels like cold. And the anhedonia also strong. Desmotivated

in June one month of latuda 
I was taking abilify from the 5 of September to the five of October 5mg 
Reinastate abilify two weeks ago 18/09/19

was taking 5 mg then 2,5 then 1 mg but taper to fast 

worsened my pssd 
Now taking 1 mg of abilify  

desrealization is gone 

sleep normal with Xanax 

I dont think Xanax worsened my pssd 

Feeling better but I want of the poisons 

A lot of emotional anesthesia 

Cbd oil 1,4 Cbd 15 thc  seroquel 2021 .  january start to taper until i reach un febraury to 100 . Every 50 MG .  was a amhedonia to the roof suicide ideation reisntate 500mg for 3 weeks febraury 2022

• 2 weeks later...

Does PSSD happen shortly after quitting antidepressants, or can it happen months after you stop?

Took Sertraline May 13 and May 14, 2019. Have experienced tingling/burning on thighs/genital area ever since. Also have occasional headaches. Paranoid that the tingling will get worse/cause numbness of areas.

• Administrator

@Haleybeans I added your post to our existing very long discussion about PSSD.

Sexual dysfunction can start when you're taking psychiatric drugs or when you stop taking them. It is a sign of general nervous system and body upset from the effect of psychiatric drugs, and tends to fade over time.

We don't have many reports of PSSD starting after some months off drugs, but it's possible.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy