SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Altostrata

I also deal with something similar. I'm now 16 months off, for me it started more than 2 months ago.

I had a bad idea to read here and there in the pssd forums, please don't do it.

Anyway for what i got: either you have it on the drug and it continues or you first have the wd then it slowly moves in pssd in weeks/months. 

However i see both of us has lack of joy,lack of appetite, depression, anxiety and so on. So i assume in this state noone will have a "normal" sexuality.

Maybe if the other things get better this will get better too.

I am scared as you of course but unless you want to try with billions of supplements/meds we just have to wait  :(

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

02/2015 - 1/04/2015 tapering from 10 mg to 0 mg doctor advised

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

30/05/2015 reinstated 8mg (I was suggested 5 mg here)

middle 07/2015 general improving

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/2020 - 10/2020 MILD WAVE(mostly anxiety, poor sleep)

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

13 hours ago, Marta said:

I also deal with something similar. I'm now 16 months off, for me it started more than 2 months ago.

I had a bad idea to read here and there in the pssd forums, please don't do it.

Anyway for what i got: either you have it on the drug and it continues or you first have the wd then it slowly moves in pssd in weeks/months. 

However i see both of us has lack of joy,lack of appetite, depression, anxiety and so on. So i assume in this state noone will have a "normal" sexuality.

Maybe if the other things get better this will get better too.

I am scared as you of course but unless you want to try with billions of supplements/meds we just have to wait  :(

I actually just found out this morning that I have a severe bacterial infection, so I’m hoping that is the root of the issue. At the very least, I’m sure it’s keeping my brain from healing.

12/23/20 - started fluoxetine 20mg/day

1/2/21 - adverse reaction symptoms appeared

1/5/21 - stopped fluoxetine CT

present - some symptoms have remitted, but most have remained

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

• 1 month later...

Hello @GéoJeep how are you now?  Is your sexual problem and your mental state evolving in the right direction?

Hello everyone, I was on seroplex 10mg in October 2019 for over a year and then on brintellix from March to September for maybe 8 months. I made several attempts to stop abruptly then I resumed the treatment of brintellix recently for a few weeks because it was too difficult to stop.

Symptom when stopped: premature ejaculation, ejaculation with less orgasm. Severe insomnia, transient headaches, sensitivity to noise and light.

Last intake of brintellix 5mg: Saturday, September 11, 2021

@ParisienMentally, I’m not doing too hot. I finally got in with a urologist last week, and apparently my prostate is swollen to the size of a tomato and is very inflamed, so I’m not currently thinking it’s PSSD. The urologist thinks it’s infected, and I’m waiting on the results of a seminal fluid test to confirm it.

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

@GéoJeep I keep my fingers crossed for you to keep us informed of your condition

Hello everyone, I was on seroplex 10mg in October 2019 for over a year and then on brintellix from March to September for maybe 8 months. I made several attempts to stop abruptly then I resumed the treatment of brintellix recently for a few weeks because it was too difficult to stop.

Symptom when stopped: premature ejaculation, ejaculation with less orgasm. Severe insomnia, transient headaches, sensitivity to noise and light.

Last intake of brintellix 5mg: Saturday, September 11, 2021

@ParisienHonestly, the sexual symptoms don’t really bother me very much. Most days, they aren’t very bad. It’s everything else that I’m worried about. I would like to have one day where I can think straight, not be constantly dizzy, or have a throbbing headache.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, anacleta said:

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction may present as persistence of sexual dysfunction caused by the treatment even after its discontinuation, which happens most of the time in the cases of PSSD, or occur only at the time of drug withdrawal.

There is something I wonder about that : is there a difference between pssd sufferers who had already sexual dysfunction while on ssri and those who got it only after quitting ? Do they have  the same symptoms, the same lenght of pssd ? 

I've had sexual dysfunction since I decreased citalopram.

• Antidepressants

2008 :Citalopram 60 mg for depression.

2015 : Abrupt decrease of citalopram from 60 to 20 mg. 

2017 : Back to 60 mg citalopram. 

2018 : 40 mg citalopram (abrupt decrease)

2020-2021 : Very slow decrease of citalopram, 12 months duration, from 40 mg to 5 mg. 

July-August 2021 Switch from citalopram to vortioxetine, up to 15 mg, then decrease it to 5 mg in 40 days.

September 2021 : Start to tapper off vortioxetine very slowly, from 5mg.

• Benzodiazepines :

2008 - 2012 clonazepam

2012 - 2021  lorazepam

And another question : do sexual dysfunction last longer than other wd symptoms, or is it the same ?

• Antidepressants

2020-2021 : Very slow decrease of citalopram, 12 months duration, from 40 mg to 5 mg. 

July-August 2021 Switch from citalopram to vortioxetine, up to 15 mg, then decrease it to 5 mg in 40 days.

• Benzodiazepines :

2008 - 2012 clonazepam

2012 - 2021  lorazepam

• Mentor
8 hours ago, Borisboris said:

There is something I wonder about that : is there a difference between pssd sufferers who had already sexual dysfunction while on ssri and those who got it only after quitting ? Do they have  the same symptoms, the same lenght of pssd ? 

I've had sexual dysfunction since I decreased citalopram.

6 hours ago, Borisboris said:

And another question : do sexual dysfunction last longer than other wd symptoms, or is it the same ?

I believe everyone reacts differently. People's experiences are of different lengths and have different symptoms.

Some people have bad reactions to small amounts. I don't think there is a definitive answer to either of those questions. Maybe others could share their experience.

I had dysfunction while on a "regular dose", and also while completely medication free.

For me the dysfunction lasted longer than the mental symptoms. But I know there are many people, who struggle with memory, depression, lethargy, anxiety, "zaps" and a lot of other physical/mental issues for a long time.

Edited by CharlieBrown
typo

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

• Mentor

BorisBoris here is a great explanation from the Admin.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:43 PM, Altostrata said:

@Haleybeans I added your post to our existing very long discussion about PSSD.

Sexual dysfunction can start when you're taking psychiatric drugs or when you stop taking them. It is a sign of general nervous system and body upset from the effect of psychiatric drugs, and tends to fade over time.

We don't have many reports of PSSD starting after some months off drugs, but it's possible.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

Ok Charliebrown, thanks for your response.

I'm currently tappering off my antidepressant, and it is very stressful not to know when my sexual function will come back and even if it will come back.

• Antidepressants

• Benzodiazepines :

2008 - 2012 clonazepam

2012 - 2021  lorazepam

From what I've read, most people who have pssd have genital numbness. In my case it was the contrary, I had genital hypersensitivity after a big decrease of citalopram (Going back to a higher dose cured it). Maybe it means that what I have is more like a withdrawal than PSSD. That could make sense because citalopram gave me an erectile improvement and a slight numbness, so the withdrawal got me erectile dysfunction and hypersensitivity. So the question is : are wd symptoms faster to improve than pssd ? I guess no-one has the response but... well, I know I think too much.

• Antidepressants

• Benzodiazepines :

2008 - 2012 clonazepam

2012 - 2021  lorazepam

• Administrator

Genital hypersensitivity may be called Persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD). It is a drug-induced symptom parallel to PSSD.

Please use search in the Introductions forum to see cases of PGAD. Like PSSD, we have seen it gradually go away over months.

PGAD and PSSD tend to gradually lessen, with occasional recurrences at lesser intensity as time goes on. Withdrawal symptoms tend to appear in waves, wax and wane, change and recur, also at lower intensity as time goes on.

Nobody can say if PGAD or PSSD lasts longer than withdrawal symptoms, they can be among withdrawal symptoms. Generally, if you feel better from other withdrawal symptoms, PGAD and PSSD also improve.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

This site is not specifically about PSSD or PGAD. Some of our people, not a majority, have had these symptoms. We do see recovery.

If you want to confer with a larger number of people experiencing PSSD, please join pssdforum.org

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

29 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Genital hypersensitivity may be called Persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD). It is a drug-induced symptom parallel to PSSD.

What i had was definitely not PGAD or something similar. It was only imconfort and even pain caused by, for example, rubbing clothes. I couldn't have a sexual intercourse without condom because the pain would have been unbearable.

• Antidepressants

• Benzodiazepines :

2008 - 2012 clonazepam

2012 - 2021  lorazepam

• Administrator
On 10/2/2021 at 4:12 AM, EmptyVessle said:

"Post selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor syndrome (PSSRIS) is a seemingly rare condition where hypoanaesthesia of the genital area, loss of sexual desire and erectile dysfunction occur as soon as after the first dose of medication or more commonly within a course of the medication. The effects are permanent and are highly distressing to patients. I personally warn every patient I put onto SSRIs or SNRIs that PSSRIS is a rare possibility. David Goldmeier Faculty Member Psychiatry / Sexual Dysfunction St Mary's Hospital London UK"

Apparently PSSD/PSSRIS is permament according to David Goldmeier. I have noticed any improvements for 2,5 yerars myself. On the other hand there are some people claiming to be recovered from it. 

So, what is the truth? Im devastated..

And yet we have seen PSSD resolve. You may choose what you want to believe about your own condition.

• Administrator

What you want to know is your personal future. Nobody can predict that. Sorry.

• Administrator

It's odd, none of the 16,000 members of this site seem to like suffering long-term symptoms related to psychiatric drugs. I actually do know what this is like, having been told 16,000 times and experiencing it for many years myself.

Please look around you and see that a lot of people are going through similar distress, it's not just you, and nobody knows what their individual future is. We see a trend towards recovery, though it can be very slow.

You may need to learn how to cope with this uncertainty and direct your thoughts and efforts towards healing rather than making yourself worse with worry and anxiety over a doom that may never come to pass.

2 hours ago, EmptyVessle said:

@Altostrata I dont want future without emotions, sexuallity, joy, cognition. I need to be sure if its worth to wait and suffer longer. You have no idea how painfull it is every single day.

It comes back. Just takes time. Hang in there. Build some good habits (i.e., daily guided meditation, walks with nature). Find good moments. 

May also be helpful to find a skilled MD and therapist if you’re struggling with these thoughts. 

Previously - Escitalopram ("Lexapro"): 03 - 05/2018 - 10mg // 05/2018 - 12/2019 - monthly hyperbolic dose reduction to 0.

I am not a medical doctor.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

• Administrator

You can believe what you want about your future. Please do not tag me again with this unanswerable question.

@Spruce30 Hi, i read your posts, how are you now? 

My symptoms are also like yours, symptoms better in the morning, and at night, it's complete impotence. Symptoms seem to be best around midday. 

Windows are far spaced from each other, now they seem to be less intense, and a bit longer. I will check again here and hopefully hear a positive reply from you. 

@1Day your posts also intereste me. 

I am 2 years pssd, it took me a long while to realize what it is. It seems worsening was gradual. I noticed impotence after 5 months when i failed to have an erection. 

Nofap for almost a year didn't help with anything but made me feel a bit more normal during the short Windows i have. Sometimes i can have erection but it doesn't last long before i am not able to feel aroused anymore. It's like my arousal doesn't last long. 

Anhedonia and pssd made me feel dead, less of a man, I haven't made any progress in life during past 2 years because of this, being bed ridden and lacking any motivation to live. Suicidal thoughts are more intense and urges to do it are creeping in stronger and stronger and it feels like the right thing to do, especially for the last 2 weeks. Feeling more hopeless than ever. It's hard to cope anymore, being jobless, feeling useless and have most of the day to not do anything but think of pssd. It feels i have ptsd because of this. I can't stop thinking of the day i took the first pill. I have only took ssri for few weeks. 

Venlafaxine 25mg twice a day ( taken for 2 weeks in December 2019)

Propranolol (20mg-40mg-60mg) doses most of January 2020.

Prazepam 10mg occasionally from December 2019 to February 2020. 

Venlafaxine 25mg twice again 1 week in February 2020.

At the moment i am clean. 

15 hours ago, PiedoDerPSSD said:

Anhedonia and pssd made me feel dead, less of a man, I haven't made any progress in life during past 2 years because of this, being bed ridden and lacking any motivation to live. Suicidal thoughts are more intense and urges to do it are creeping in stronger and stronger and it feels like the right thing to do, especially for the last 2 weeks. Feeling more hopeless than ever. It's hard to cope anymore, being jobless, feeling useless and have most of the day to not do anything but think of pssd. It feels i have ptsd because of this. I can't stop thinking of the day i took the first pill. I have only took ssri for few weeks. 

Have you considered that sexual function might return after you tend to other aspects of your life?  If you're jobless and hopeless, that's not really conducive to feeling alive and energized.

At the risk of coming across as dismissive, I'd suggest focusing on your emotional state first, then your job situation second, then any remaining "performance" issues after that.

Regular cardio and guided meditation can work wonders on the first point. It's very uncomfortable to do, but you would essentially be rewiring your brain out of this pattern that's not serving you.

If you are having suicidal thoughts, please see an MD or therapist.

Previously - Escitalopram ("Lexapro"): 03 - 05/2018 - 10mg // 05/2018 - 12/2019 - monthly hyperbolic dose reduction to 0.

I am not a medical doctor.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

• Administrator

Excellent suggestions, @ccfb (except I would not see an MD for suicidal thoughts, all you'l get is a drug prescription).

Focusing on the condition of your genitals will not help you recover sexual functioning. Self-consciousness has never been good for this.

Fixating on your victimhood is also disempowering. All of our members have been cheated by the medical profession in one way or the other. It's a universal outrage, not just yours. You need to figure out how to help yourself (and others) recover, not dwell on your personal shortcomings.

Does anybody else's symptoms get worse after orgasm? 

In the past orgasming 4 or 5 times a day was normal and would be still horny and responsive to sexual stimulation. But now, after an orgasm, i crash badly and wouldn't be able to get an ok erection for few days. 

Also erections with a partner seem to be better than when i am alone or with porn. 

If i abstain for a long period, then i would be able to orgasm several times before i crash again. 

Viagra doesn't work immediately, but after a day or two, it would trigger a window of normal function for 3 up to 4 or 5 days if i don't orgasm much. 

What does this tell you? Do you think nitric oxide supplements would help in my case? Why would viagra act in this strange pattern? 

Do you think i can live normal with viagra 2 to 3 times a week? Or would it become ineffective after few years of over use?? 

Just expressing my emotions (mod can delete this part if it's against rules): 

Sorry for being too emotional, i become like this during my Lowest moods of pssd, i lose my rational thinking, but i really needed to write it and let it all out, as i tens to keep all of it to myself in real life, i am better today and not thinking of suicide. I am against it, i still want to live, achieve something in life and have a family. 

I have met a woman, she's understanding, but i am not sure if she would tolerate this much longer, i became too needy with her as well and i am afraid this would turn her off. I had a much higher confidence when i had strong hope this curse would go away in a year or so, i did nofap for a year, i trained hard and lived as healthy as i coud, things seemed going worse, so i broke down mentally and gave up.  Also i would have not hesitated if i could fix many parts of my life, but i live in a third world country and i don't have much options, choices or opportunities to turn my life around, i have a mechanical engineering university degree, yet i am jobless unfortunately, i have worked all kind of labor jobs but this hasn't taken me anywhere forward in life. So now i am living with my parents. 

I need to snap out of this emotional trauma and continue living with what i have. Sometimes i think, others had it worse, nothing is granted in life, i watched a video some weeks ago of a boxer who got hit on the head and now he's mentally and physically handicapped and his life was ruined forever. It seems pssd is the better choice if i had to choose between these two. A friend was hit by a bottle of wine on the back of his head in a bar fight, now he's been on a wheelchair for 3 years and his iq has dropped in half. Pssd is hard as a condition, and nobody should have had this, but i am just saying to make me feel better and anybody else reading this. 

Sorry for long post and thanks for reading.

Does anyone has experience with berberine and inositol? Do you think they could help my baseline as some people claim? 

I have been eating zinc supplements, i have severe zinc deficiency, visible from white spots on fingernails. Zinc makes my pssd worse, i lose morning wood when taking much zinc. But i have to continue with the treatment until at least not be zinc deficient anymore. Who else is taking zinc? Does it effect your ED?

• Administrator

@PiedoDerPSSD you may wish to join a forum specializing in PSSD, such as pssdforum.org, to discuss those topics.

As this is a site for a general audience, we're not keen about graphic descriptions of sex or sex organs here.

• Mentor
On 10/12/2021 at 7:57 AM, EmptyVessle said:

My opinion is that there is no such thing as recovery, only improvement to some point that people can somehow 'accept' what has happened and claimed to be 'recovered'.

I quit drugs 2,5 years ago and there have not been any changes in symptomps since then. So why should I think that all of the sudden a miracle will happen and my body/brain will start to healing since it has not for 2,5 years already?

Can someone please help me understand?

I can't change your opinion.

But I can attest, I went from total erectile dysfunction to "normal" (what I was educated 15 years ago, is/was average sexual performance. Fluid amount, longevity and sensitivity.) 

Please consider reading my story and intro... I spent at least 2 years with no perceivable improvement.

I'm not very good at explaining some things. I will mention "The Bell Curve" of recovery.
Everyone is somewhere on the curve.

Don't despair, that is not healthy. I think things will change with time.

My success story: 

• Mentor
20 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Please consider reading my story and intro... I spent at least 2 years with no perceivable improvement.

8 hours ago, EmptyVessle said:

Well than @CharlieBrown but i dont have any improvements for 2,5 years.

Sorry to say, 6 months is not a long time. 2 years or 3 years... Fast or slow.

Everyone is different.

Edited by CharlieBrown
6 months/Clarity

My success story: 

8 hours ago, EmptyVessle said:

Well than @CharlieBrown but i dont have any improvements for 2,5 years.

FWIW, I have also made a recovery.

9 hours ago, EmptyVessle said:

Full recovery? 100% sexuality back? What symptoms did you have and how long it took you to recover?

Yes.

Probably the same as many others. You can look at my intro thread for info. I tapered Lexapro over 15 months - was a gradual return to equilibrium from there.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note that the following has been added to topic what-will-get-you-warned-or-banned

On 6/16/2011 at 4:45 AM, Altostrata said:

Graphic descriptions of sexual organs or functioning. This is offensive to some of our members and not appropriate for this site.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus