Sosick: Seeking info

Sosick

Hi. About 7 weeks ago I stopped 3.75 mg of Luvox. Since then I have gone through all the typical withdrawl symptoms and seem to have come through them but I have had a severe IBS and GERD flare up ever since. I am on the Fodmaps diet and keeping a food journal. Waking up sick every day is causing some anxiety from time to time. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how long did it last. 

Edited by baroquep

My name is sosick.

Currently I am taking .5 mg Clonazepam at bedtime and have another .5 mg I can take daily if needed. I have been on this med for over 20 years. In June of 2016 I started on 15 mg of Luvox. One month later it was reduced to 7.5 mg. One month later it was reduced to 3.75. On September 24, 2017 I stopped Luvox. Reinstated 1.87 mg Nov 11, 2017 due to withdrawls. Prior, In March 2016 I was put on Lamictal 100 mg. Stopped this drug cold turkey two months later. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sosick: Seeking info
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sosick and welcome to SA,

I'm glad you found SA when you did and pleased that you recognised that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  The only known way to bring withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level is to reinstate the drug (please see my explanation about this below).  When we take the drug our brain changes and when we take it away too quickly we experience withdrawal symptoms because our brain is trying to regain homoeostasis.  Taking it away slowly allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  You might be surprised about the wide variety of withdrawal symptoms which can occur.  I've linked a list below.

We ask all members to create a drug signature which appears below every post you make.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  These are the instructions for the format we prefer:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

SA's recommendation about reinstating is to start with a very small amount of the drug.  These drugs are strong and if we start with too high a dose it can cause problems.  You have been off for 7 weeks so your brain will have already made some adaptations.  You stopped taking 3.75mg Luvox so you might find taking 0.5mg or 1mg may be enough to reduce your symptoms.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to full dose in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  You may feel some improvement in the first day or two.  We suggest taking the same dose for about 10-14 days and keep notes on paper, because you may see some improvement which you don't feel.  If after this time you find that your symptoms haven't improved you could increase by a very small amount.  Please read Post #1 of the reinstatement topic so that you understand what is involved.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

I found these helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Welcome, Sosick.

How long were you on Luvox, at what dose? How long did you take 3.75mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi and thankyou. Thankyou also to ChessieCat for all the info. I started it in the spring of 2016 on 15 mg daily. After about a month the dose was reduced to 7.5 mg for about a month. Then it was reduced to 3.75 mg. I actually just checked my calander and I quit the 3.75 mg dose two months ago tomorrow. I may have to reinstate a small dose as I am literally soooo sick with nausea, RUQ pain, GERD, IBS and I feel like someone kicked me in the kidneys. I have withdrawn from different antidepressants over the years but have never felt this ill. I hate to reinstate even a small dose after this long but may have no choice. Thoughts?

My name is sosick.

Currently I am taking .5 mg Clonazepam at bedtime and have another .5 mg I can take daily if needed. I have been on this med for over 20 years. In June of 2016 I started on 15 mg of Luvox. One month later it was reduced to 7.5 mg. One month later it was reduced to 3.75. On September 24, 2017 I stopped Luvox. Reinstated 1.87 mg Nov 11, 2017 due to withdrawls. Prior, In March 2016 I was put on Lamictal 100 mg. Stopped this drug cold turkey two months later. 

• Administrator

Yes, you have withdrawal syndrome. You may wish to try 1.5mg Luvox, it could be sufficient. See Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine) for information about titrating Luvox.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks I did read it. I guess it's time for compounding. I find regular practitioners, for the most part, so unknowledgeable regarding antidepressants.  Are you a mod by chance? If so, can you please tell me where I am to summarize my history in a signature. I know it's suppose to be below my post. All I see is an area that is used to choose files.

My name is sosick.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto is the site's founder.

This link takes you directly to where you create your signature.  Remember to click Save.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Thank you. I will fill it in tomorrow and thanks again for all your info. Much appreciated :)

My name is sosick.

Question: without scrolling through until you find your initial post, how can you find it when you log on so that you can update it? At 5:30 this morning I took your advice and started taking 1.87 mg of Luvox. Already my stomach has calmed down a bit and I'm overall feeling a bit better. I am still experiencing severe back pain from the withdrawls. Anyone have any idea how long this will last or what to do for it. I am using a heating pad and using Voltarin cream but the pain is quite severe. 

My name is sosick.

• Moderator Emeritus

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Thank you. I'll read them. Do you know how to find yourself when you log onto this website? Scrolling through many posts can't be the only way to update your last post.

My name is sosick.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try Magnesium.

Magnesium I find causes diahhrea and a lot of IBS pain. 

My name is sosick.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, Sosick said:

Thank you. I'll read them. Do you know how to find yourself when you log onto this website? Scrolling through many posts can't be the only way to update your last post.

when you log in, you will automatically be at your home page ... see top right corner on your computer screen.  

your thread link is here 

Sosick Thread

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

15 hours ago, Sosick said:

Question: without scrolling through until you find your initial post, how can you find it when you log on so that you can update it? At 5:30 this morning I took your advice and started taking 1.87 mg of Luvox. Already my stomach has calmed down a bit and I'm overall feeling a bit better. I am still experiencing severe back pain from the withdrawls. Anyone have any idea how long this will last or what to do for it. I am using a heating pad and using Voltarin cream but the pain is quite severe. 

Hot bath with Epsom always helped my pain. Ali 

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

Thanks Ali I will try that ☺. Also thank you baroquep for your info. Everyone is so helpful on this site :). 

My name is sosick.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some tapering advice. Since June 2016 I have been taking 15 mg of Fluoxamine (Luvox) at bedtime.

In 2017 it was reduced to  7.5 mg for one month then down to 3.75 mg for another month and then discontinued. A month and a half after discontinuing this med I ended up in the ER. Obviously I need a slower withdraw. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Sosick
Saw my old post and was able to obtain more accurate info that I had since forgotten.

My name is sosick.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sosick,

I've moved your post to your Introduction topic which keeps all your information in one place.

SA's recommended taper is no more than 10% of previous dose followed by a hold of 4 weeks.  Your 2016/2017 attempt to get off Luvox was much faster than what SA recommends. 

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Please update your drug signature with all drugs and the dates and dose changes so that the mods have your full history.  Please ensure that we can easily see what drug/s and dose you are currently taking.  Thank you.  Click on this link and remember to save after editing:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

If you think that you want to go slower than 10% every 4 weeks, you might consider doing a Brassmonkey Slide.  Brass Monkey Slide

• Moderator Emeritus

12 hours ago, Sosick said:

If I am tapering a 12.5 mg dose by 10% reduction each month it would take me 24 months to get down to 1 mg. Is this right? Do you stop when you hit 1 mg?

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

Yes, your calculation is correct and it would take about 24 months to get to 1mg.  However, if you experience withdrawal symptoms after holding for 4 weeks then it is better to hold on that dose for longer.  Also, if you experience illness or stress in your life, then it is better to hold for a while until things improve/resolve.

Generally we encourage members to keeping on tapering after they get to 1mg.  I've just gone from 1mg to 0.875mg.  Because the smallest dose of compounded capsules I can get is 0.125mg I have to make larger than 10% reductions now.  However, after each reduction I will be holding for 1 week longer.  So 1mg , 4 weeks; 0.875mg, 5 weeks; 0.75mg, 6 weeks; and so on.   That will take about 1 year.  I would rather take it slowly and get off my AD with the least amount of discomfort and/or disruption to my life as possible.  It's got nothing to do with how strong or determined I am, it is simply that my brain needs to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

The moderators are currently discussing whether it is possible for people to go a bit faster after they get to a very small dose.  Please see this topic:  ollie-ollie-oxen-free-managing-the-endgame-taper