voyteck: venlafaxine and bupropion

voyteck

@Altostrata
I think you've missed something. You asked me about somatizations, so I listed them ("My original (before ADs) somatizations" ). I didn't mention them before deliberately - so that readers don't confuse them with my w/d symptoms. Please don't confuse those two things. I repeat: I have somatizations from nervous breakdown (listed separately in previous post only) PLUS w/d symptoms from buspirone (or its interaction with venlafaxine and bupropion).

Thyroid. Checked many times. I consulted it with many docs. My tests are fine (TSH, ft3, ft4).

Constipation is my w/d symptom after buspirone.

Thanks for all!

[2013 - 2017] >10 meds and combos (some breaks without meds; last in May-Sep 2016)

[2017] Mar 22 - venlafaxine 150; initially with mianserine 20 which I stopped around June due to serious stomachaches and bloating; 1 month of break in Aug when: duloxetine 60 + esketamine clinical trial)
Sep 05 - venlafaxine 150 + bupropion 150
Oct 11 - tapering off venlafaxine while still on bupro 150; Oct 21 - venla 37,5
Nov 06 - venla 37,5 + bupro 150 + >START buspirone 30>
Nov 20 - venla 12,5 + bupro 150 + buspirone 30;   Nov 29 - [STOP venla]
Dec 01 - [tried to STOP buspi cold turkey] / Dec 03 - HELL unleashed;   Dec 10 - buspi 10;   Dec 17 - buspi 20 (+ still bupro 150); Jan 02 [STOP] bupro;
[2018] Mar 17 - >START quetiapine 50 SR> for tension, restlessness and attacks of fury (buspirone persisting w/d symptom)

Apr 24 - FINALLY STOPPED buspirone (5-month taper; worst in my life) - w/d symptoms continue... Jun 02 - STOP quetiapine
Now taking: mirtazapine 7,5 mg (helps to fall asleep quickly, doesn't help for waking at dawn; didn't tolerate higher doses); for restlessness / akathisia: taurine; antihistamines (small amounts cause still can cause headache and dry mouth even at 12,5 mg of hydroxyzine or promethazine); melatonin 1 mg; omega-3 (330 EPA, 220 DHA); Mg.

• Administrator

What did I miss? Everything is happening in the same body. Drug effects are not compartmentalized into "somatizations" and withdrawal symptoms. We can't distinguish between your "somatizations" and whatever symptoms might have gotten worse due to a drug reaction.

Improving general health aids recovery from a drug reaction. We offer tips to ease whatever complaints you have. You can take them or not, as you feel best suits your interest.

We can't put a lot of effort into addressing your medical conditions, and we do not treat "depression" or any other so-called psychiatric disorder. We counsel people about tapering and withdrawal syndrome.

I find your signature unclear, it doesn't appear to be chronological. What years did you do each of these things?

On 1/22/2018 at 6:02 AM, voyteck said:

I'll just mention venlafaxine and bupro weren't the main factors - I already tapered them solo a few years ago and surely it wasn't that level of hell (especially bupro was 'mild' in comparison). On the other hand, I know how much it takes for full recovery and surely they could some effect.

All hell broke lose because I quit buspiron cold turkey. And I'm cursing docs and company they didn't warn this one should be tapered first.

One reason I want to lower it ASAP, is it also disturbs my sleep (I need to take benzo / other things (trazodone 25) in turns) and makes me more restless than usual.

Whatever happened when you went off venlafaxine and buproprion a few years ago is not relevant to your current condition. Going on and off drugs stresses the nervous system and body. You have had a few more years of progressively beating up your system.

Are you saying buspirone disturbs your sleep? How often do you take a benzo or trazodone? Exactly what are you taking now, at what times of day?

It appears you have a lot of control over the drugs you take, what else do you take occasionally or ad hoc?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata

We can't put a lot of effort into addressing your medical conditions, and we do not treat "depression"

I am here for help with my withdrawal symptoms. I mentioned my somatizations just to indicate what I'm struggling with (and avoided mentioning details).

Then you asked about what my somatizations are. I suspected you thought they were related to withdrawal - but nonetheless, I listed them. And BY THE WAY asked for advice regarding them.

We can't distinguish between your "somatizations" and whatever symptoms might have gotten worse due to a drug reaction.

But I can - for most things. And I described all in detail to avoid confusion.

Are you saying buspirone disturbs your sleep? How often do you take a benzo or trazodone? Exactly what are you taking now, at what times of day?

It's all in the signature. There are years and months. It's hard to make it more clear with line limit.
"Are you saying buspirone disturbs your sleep? " -> Signature: "Apr 24 - FINALLY STOPPED buspiron "
"How often do you take a benzo or trazodone?" -> I am not taking trazodone for many months. I take benzo occassionally - some periods 2 times a week. Some periods nothing for a few weeks. -> Signature: "Still taking: before bed: promethazine 25 + melatonin 3 mg (regular);
for restlessness / tension and attacks of fury: pregabalin 75 mg (not sure it helps), B6p5p 25 mg (seems best for this purpose but works only 50% of the time)"

[2013 - 2017] >10 meds and combos (some breaks without meds; last in May-Sep 2016)

[2017] Mar 22 - venlafaxine 150; initially with mianserine 20 which I stopped around June due to serious stomachaches and bloating; 1 month of break in Aug when: duloxetine 60 + esketamine clinical trial)
Dec 01 - [tried to STOP buspi cold turkey] / Dec 03 - HELL unleashed;   Dec 10 - buspi 10;   Dec 17 - buspi 20 (+ still bupro 150); Jan 02 [STOP] bupro;
[2018] Mar 17 - >START quetiapine 50 SR> for tension, restlessness and attacks of fury (buspirone persisting w/d symptom)

Apr 24 - FINALLY STOPPED buspirone (5-month taper; worst in my life) - w/d symptoms continue... Jun 02 - STOP quetiapine
Now taking: mirtazapine 7,5 mg (helps to fall asleep quickly, doesn't help for waking at dawn; didn't tolerate higher doses); for restlessness / akathisia: taurine; antihistamines (small amounts cause still can cause headache and dry mouth even at 12,5 mg of hydroxyzine or promethazine); melatonin 1 mg; omega-3 (330 EPA, 220 DHA); Mg.

• Administrator

Okay, it does not look like you're going to cooperate with our usual way of gathering information to decide on a plan.

Here are our tapering topics

You can read up on tapering any drug you wish. If you have questions, use search. You do not have to draw upon the advice of the staff.

As you fully understand your symptom pattern, you don't need to discuss that with us, either. I hope this all works out well for you. Please let us know of your successes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...

Recently it was my 1st anniversary without drug (buspirone) that is main culprit of my new problems - and the reason I registered here. Nothing has improved during last months. Some things - like GI problems are even worse after short improvement in August last year.

I am losing hope. I don't have either energy or motivation to update my topic anymore, so it will be brief.

My worst remaining PAWS problems are:

• severe GI issues (stomachaches, bloating, constipation, no appetite, weight loss)
  • restlessness / racing thoughts / tension / akathisia
  • no libido

The only good thing that happened recently was one 3-day window (about 6 weeks ago) when I got some of my libido back (say 30-50%).

But other things are killing me. I mean restlessness - combined with my pre-drug CFS-like state it's sometimes a definition of hell.

And stomachaches. Even when evening is so so, in the morning it starts again: I am waking every couple of days with strong stomachache and moderate nausea (and even have vivid dreams about food). Of course did many checks (except colonoscopy). The only thing found was Helicobacter Pylori. I know (cause had it many years earlier and eradicated - didn't change a thing to my depression/CFS) and also gastro admits it cannot be cause of such severe problems. My BMI is already 17,2.

I openly told my shrink during my last visit I don't even know what drug to ask for (though during previous visit suggested her lamotrigine - but did get answer: "But you're not bipolar"). Last trial with pregabalin didn't bring any benefits. I really didn't want to start SSRI while having no libido. She didn't recommend it either. I was given mirtazapine and accepted it... with concerns it would add up to GI problems (cause mianserin - close 'cousin' of mirtazapine - had caused GI problems in the past: stomachaches and bloating; though being cool for sleep and weight - irony). But I didn't even raise my concerns aloud cause: a) I don't have better options myself (execpt SSRI - escitalopram), b) I know sometimes I have too much anticipatory fear (which in case of drugs since PAWS make sense) - and decided I should give it a try.

It's been 5 days of mirtazapine (I am sticking to 7,5 mg due to abovementioned concerns) and it seems to have helped a bit with sleep and restlessness/tension during day (say 10-20%). BUT I am already concerned it causes more bloating and stomachaches - hard to tell in my situation though.

• 2 months later...

Update.

Nothing amiss in my GI tract. Went through 3 courses of antibiotics (hell of nausea and even more malaise). Had 2 GI endoscopies and colonoscopy.

Somehow I am still experiencing:

• stomachaches, stomach cramps (every day, rather random pattern, though feel stuck in the evenings - cannot eat)
  • nausea (since a few weeks quite regular in the evenings)
  • dreams with: food, rotten food, or other disgusting things
  • bloating - not only after certain foods (citric acid, many fruits) but also after eating normal amount of food;
  • constipation (rarely turns for normal, or even slight diarrhea - only couple of days)
  • weight loss (that one doesn't scare me cause been there once and recovered)
  • sensitivity to smells; not only chemical; I detest many normal food smells; still they sometimes make my intestines turn inside out (had few very brief windows of improvement)

I did an experiment when I ate mostly nutri drinks for a few weeks. It didn't help much; only less intense and frequent bloating (didn't help to regain weight, too - even what I lost on last antibiotics - 2 kg). Since they're expensive, I am returning to using them as supplementary source of kCal and vitamins, minerals. Other than that I'll eat what I can.

I am trying to worry less (including how I look). But I cannot reduce my sensitivity to pain.

Even when eating what my mind wants or body is accepting I am still suffering.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Voyteck 

how are you doing?

I see you are from Poland, I’m also from Poland

Going through withdrawal from antidepressants I did CT because I didn’t know any better and got much sicker then the condition I was initially medicated for. Like many here only now I see I didn’t need antidepressants in first place 

Hope you are doing better 

Prozac fall/winter 1999 (2 months on it),Paxil 2000-2005,Celexa (20mg-40mg) 2005- August 2013,Effexor XR (150mg) August 2013- February 2014,Cymbalta (60mg) February 2014-February 2018 Cold Turkey, back on Cymbalta 60mg August 2018- October 2018,Lorezopan 0.5mg-1mg August 2018-May 2019,Restoril 15mg September 2018-December 2018,Lexapro 10mg October 2018-December 2018,Trintellix 10mg end of November 2018 (two sample boxes),Remeron 15mg December 2018-February 2019,

Cymbalta 60mg January 2019-February 2019, Zoloft 25mg-50mg February 2019-May 2019,

Ketamine January 2019 (6 IV injection)

ECT February 2019 (6 inpatient plus 2 outpatient)

May 2019 drug free

August 2022 Fully Recovered 😊 

I'm sorry to announce that, but voyteck commited suicide some time ago. 

16th February 2019 - 27th February 2019:

Fluoxetine 20mg

7th April 2019 - 11th April 2019:

10mg paroxetine

11th April 2019 - 16th April 2019:

20mg paroxetine

21st March 2019 - now:

0,5mg alprazolam

• Administrator

We are so sorry to hear this sad news.

• Altostrata locked this topic