Jansin: Zoloft

Jansin

I am having vision issues too after almost 2 years off my meds. Lots if supplements here and there though. I just got tested for new glasses. They aren't working well at the moment. Hoping I figure it or get stuck with glasses that don't work well.

Can you elaborate what the eye issues were and what helped or fixed it?

Went off ADs Sept/ Oct 2016 - Feb 2017.

Cymbalta and Klonopin 1-2 yrs.

Prior to that was on Effexor, Wellbutrin Abilify klonapin/ lorazepam.

Used a lot of supplements to help getting off the meds and still dabble in them in a panic.

Did SAM-e trigger the anxiety?

Or traumas?

Have tried CBD recently with mixed results.

Anxiety is predominant problem now.

It sometimes rolls into some low mood.

Still not stable.

3 hours ago, Freesia said:

Can you elaborate what the eye issues were and what helped or fixed it?

Basically seeing a lot more 'floaters' in my vision almost like a clear curtain of tv static. Lights and light sources have more of a glow about them aswell.

I try eyedrops every now and then to try and help but I don't think they do. Good news is that it hasn't gotten any worse since it appeared so that leads me to believe it will improve some day.

ADs: 4 years

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 6th, 2018 reinstatement: sertraline 1mg

November 17th, 2018 : sertraline 2mg

2019 - 2020: 1mg Zoloft up to 5mg, increased by 1mg from the month I started

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

4 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

Hi John,

I think it's totally possible everything you describe is withdrawal - my biggest problem last summer (and today, although much less so) was very difficult to THINK - couldn't focus, concentrate, remember, couldn't think of words and really hard to write. mood problems, as well, but didn't really have the physical symptoms others describe. everybody is different! 

the main thing is, you CAN and you are healing, it just takes a lot of time. I wish you well! 

I truly hope so.. it's just that having such a lack of physical symptoms makes me think nothing is happening and that my body is just fine with being this way now, and that idea really bothers me.

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

we all have a tendency to think of "physical" symptoms as more legitimate. if your foot is red and swollen, you can SEE it. nobody can doubt it is a problem. 

but problems thinking are coming from you brain, and that is part of your body after all. it's all physical symptoms, in other words. 

but it would nice if you could see that your brain has this ugly gray sludge in it, or something, and you could say, see! look at that! no wonder I am having a terrible time!   

the good thing is none of us here doubt what you are going through: we understand. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/22/2018 at 2:52 PM, Jansin said:

Am I to keep updosing until I climb all the way up to something like 10mg or 25mg? My first CT was from my 100mg dose back in late 2017

Hi Jansin,

I'm hoping that you feel stabilized on a much lower dose than 10 or 25 mg.  Keep in mind that stability now may mean acceptance of where you are at and some progress.  Yet, you may not feel totally back, to where you wish you were, for a bit longer.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:50 AM, Altostrata said:

Please consider whether your low mood comes from worry about your condition rather than the condition itself. If so, you can manage that low mood. Learning how to do this will serve you well in the long run. See

Take a look at the links as well that Alto gave you, if you haven't yet.

Yes.......I agree, you are doing pretty well.  The top post in the link Alto gave you on Deep Emotional Pain......, also has a link in the top post to a topic called "neuroemotions".  I found that some of my emotions during and after W/D were enhanced.......well beyond what I ever had experienced before A/D's and for me other meds/drugs.

I also see one of ChessieCats great packages on dealing with fears/anxieties too, back on page 2.  That's where I found the other links that Alto gave you too.

I so hope these are helpful to you in coping now.

Are you feeling any improvement in cognitive or thinking skills yet?  I know that one is a bear too.  I can only attest that it has improved for me, with time.  I don't suppose it would hurt to do some brain challenges each day........do you do online games or word or number puzzles at all? 

Best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I don't know, I've felt kind of worse overall since reinstatement. Trouble sleeping, Heavier anxiety and depression episodes..

I keep looking at older pictures of myself and I long to go back.. I wish I could go back so badly and just do therapy instead of ever touching these stupid drugs, they're going to suck 2-3 years of my life away trying to get off of them and the worst part is my family thinks I don't want to help myself and that I'm simply not listening to my psychiatrist.. 

Sorry for venting it kind of makes me feel better. My cognitive ability and memory hasn't really improved at all and I've experienced much more intrusive suicidal thoughts this month, I'm not sure what to do.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Jansin said:

I keep looking at older pictures of myself and I long to go back.

Were feelings of regret or failure the reason you went on the drugs in the first place? If so, you're back to old habits of thinking, it's not the drugs, and you might seek psychotherapy or other counseling for this.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:50 AM, Altostrata said:

That's a pretty good symptom pattern! Please give 2mg more time, your nervous system may take a while to settle down.

Please consider whether your low mood comes from worry about your condition rather than the condition itself. If so, you can manage that low mood. Learning how to do this will serve you well in the long run. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

You might put that computer screen on a timer to turn it off earlier in the evening, even when your eyes are closed, you can sense light.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:52 PM, Jansin said:

Am I to keep updosing until I climb all the way up to something like 10mg or 25mg? My first CT was from my 100mg dose back in late 2017

We still need to see your daily symptom pattern!!

If you think 2mg Zoloft is breaking up your sleep, you might do better taking it earlier in the day. You can do this by moving it an hour earlier each day until you are taking it at noon (if convenient) or in the morning. Please keep notes as you make this change. If it is the drug affecting your sleep and mood, your symptom pattern will change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Were feelings of regret or failure the reason you went on the drugs in the first place? If so, you're back to old habits of thinking, it's not the drugs, and you might seek psychotherapy or other counseling for this.

We still need to see your daily symptom pattern!!

If you think 2mg Zoloft is breaking up your sleep, you might do better taking it earlier in the day. You can do this by moving it an hour earlier each day until you are taking it at noon (if convenient) or in the morning. Please keep notes as you make this change. If it is the drug affecting your sleep and mood, your symptom pattern will change.

I went on the drugs in the first place (2013) Because they told me I had major depressive disorder and I believed them and ASKED for medication without having ANY idea or explanation as to what I was getting into, I never felt like a failure in my life until this year, until going through w/d and learning more and more about the truth of these drugs. I go to therapy and it kind of helps.

It gave me sleeping problems even before when I was taking it earlier in the day, and when I was on 1mg, the issue hasn't let up at all since reinstatement

• Administrator

Please consider whether your fundamental pessimistic disposition might be taking over again, and whether you want to learn how to counter it or manage it.

We still need to see your daily symptom pattern. Are you willing to try the experiment of moving it earlier in the day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, Rossho said:

Jansin have you seemingly recovered from your withdrawal now after the delayed onset? 

28 minutes ago, Jansin said:

No recovery, I'm just in a gradual state of fog, feels like my brain isnt working quite right, no creativity, always so tired, cant think straight, can barely form sentences, and I feel very little emotion at all. Feeling very depressed and hopeless at this point.

I also have visual disturbance and tinnitus. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/26/2018 at 7:26 AM, Altostrata said:

We still need to see your daily symptom pattern. Are you willing to try the experiment of moving it earlier in the day?

Please answer Alto's question.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'm willing to put these drugs in my system anymore, they've taken so much away from me. Even now I can barely think of what to type or where to even begin.

I've had a better outlook lately, I've been more hopeful and positive then how I was the last time I replied here. 

But my symptoms are worse, the vision is a bit worse, the tinnitus is so much worse, verbal communication has become actually difficult now, and haven't had one break from this terrible anhedonia.

It's very discouraging.. but somehow I haven't lost hope. 

Hi, I am also tapering off Sertraline (Zoloft) after many years of taking it, and I am sorry to read what you are going through. 

I was always told by the prescribing doctors that Zoloft could interfere with sleep, and should preferably be taken in the morning. 

I know it helps some people, but I tried mindfulness, meditation, yoga etc over the years, and had counselling and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for years too, but they only made me feel worse in the long run. It felt like I wasn't doing it right, I wasn't practicing often enough, it was all my fault that I was feeling bad.

The only thing that helped me was Pyschotherapy. I had to talk, talk and cry about all the things that I had kept inside and have someone listen to me. Sharing was the only way I could process the feelings.

There was no point in trying to change my thought patterns with cognitive behaviour therapy, while I had massive unresolved knots of feelings inside of me that simply needed to be shared and felt. Once those have been addressed, other self help techniques have finally become more useful for me. 

Also, I don't know what kind of lifestyle you have, but cutting out sugar and processed foods(and caffeine and alcohol) as well as being more active (not vigorous exercise, just much less sitting and more walking throughout the day) really helps my health anxiety. At least then I know that I am looking after my body the best I can, and worrying wouldn't change anything. 

Sorry I don't know what you should do about the dosage, I hope you get relief some way or another. 

Best of luck!

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

• 2 weeks later...

i need help

i could live with these symptoms if i knew i would get better but so far i dont know if i can handle it anymore if it gets any worse

i think something is happening to me

my face, my head, they look different, my forehead looks smaller than before in pictures from only a year or two ago.

i think my brain and head are shrinking and i dont know what to do, please someone tell me the truth, tell me if this is possible or not

i cant live my life because i cant feel, but i cant end my life because i dont want to hurt my loved ones

im forced to live a hollow limbo but yet somehow i still convince myself that life has a plan for me and that someday ill be happy, but when i see myself in the mirror and worry about whats truly happening inside, i shutter

i might need to try a higher dose..

On 11/25/2018 at 1:26 PM, Altostrata said:

Please consider whether your fundamental pessimistic disposition might be taking over again, and whether you want to learn how to counter it or manage it.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:02 AM, ChessieCat said:

Please answer Alto's question.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:25 AM, Jansin said:

i think something is happening to me

my face, my head, they look different, my forehead looks smaller than before in pictures from only a year or two ago.

i think my brain and head are shrinking and i dont know what to do, please someone tell me the truth, tell me if this is possible or not

I'm willing to try anything at this point, but please i need to know if what i think is happening to me is possible, if youve seen anyone report the same thing or anything similar

thank you

• 2 years later...

Hello, it's been awhile. I'm alot more stable than I was before.

I need help though, and I'm willing to listen to the guidance you all offer here. 

My symptoms are more manageable but far from gone, my brain fog is still terrible and now i have more physical symptoms. It really feels like this wont ever end. I just need some reassurance and advice. I'm on 2.5 mg Zoloft these days. I think it helps but I need to know if going up is worth it. It feels wrong just being on them in any way but you guys know your stuff, I'll feel better increasing the dose if I knew that's what I need. 

Thanks for your time, I'm really looking forward to talking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jansin,

We need more information about what your drugs and doses have been since November 17, 2018.

Have you added any other drugs at all?  Or supplements?  Please include details of these even if you are no longer taking them.

Please update your drug signature so that we are better able to assess your situation.  Thank you.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please also tell us in a post about any details of what has happened in the last 3 years, eg any major illnesses, antibiotics, anything that might have made things worse.  Do you drink alcohol?  Have you had any major life stressors, eg relationship breakdown, financial worries, job issues.  Any of these things can cause withdrawal symptoms to worsen.

4 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

We need more information about what your drugs and doses have been since November 17, 2018.

My memory is extremely hazy but I reinstated again in 2019, starting with 1mg and working my way up by 1mg each month, up to 5mg, with little to no side effects. I held there until November 2020, I decided to start going back down and I noticed the effects pretty quickly, I became a little more depressed but nothing I couldn't handle, it was manageable. Then on the 20th I did something really dumb, I got pretty drunk, I had like 5 shots or so in under an hour, and this through me way off balance, i started having panic attacks atleast once a day every day that followed, pretty much until the year ended. I got a handle on it pretty quick all things considered, I was stable when January came around, I started supplementing Turmeric, Coconut oil, fish oil, magnesium, and CBD oil. I felt great for a while until the heart palpitations started on February 21st, Freaked me the hell out and caused the panicking again, I immediately researched all my supplements and learned that coconut oil can be very bad for cholesterol so I stopped taking it and hoped for the best, the palpitations continued for a few months and my blood pressure also went up considerably, to the point that the back of my head started hurting, I feared the worst, but it stopped eventually, I want to say it stopped around May (my apologies for my horrible memory). In that time I saw doctors and got bloodwork done, everything came back fine. Whatever it was I feel much better, but I don't know for sure.

17 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Have you added any other drugs at all?  Or supplements?  Please include details of these even if you are no longer taking them.

As of right now I am taking Fish oil, Magnesium, CBD oil, turmeric (the spice itself on my foods from time to time). and I'm exersizing every day since January

19 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Please also tell us in a post about any details of what has happened in the last 3 years, eg any major illnesses, antibiotics, anything that might have made things worse.  Do you drink alcohol?  Have you had any major life stressors, eg relationship breakdown, financial worries, job issues.  Any of these things can cause withdrawal symptoms to worsen.

No other major diagnoses, just my anxiety (Health anxiety/hypochondria) No antibiotics, I had a bit of alcohol over the course of 2019 and 2020. Got drunk about 3 times in total. Also smoked a bit or marijuana during 2020, for a few months with no adverse side effects, I actually found it a bit helpful.

I am completely sober now and have sworn off alcohol for the rest of my life, Never touching that crap again.

And yeah, I was in a pretty bad relationship too, without saying too much it was emotionally and mentally exhausting, we were both depressed individuals and overall the relationship was just toxic on both our parts.

I will update my signature now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for providing the extra details.

Are you currently taking 2.5mg sertraline?

If you have been reducing by 0.5mg then you have been reducing more than SA's recommended 10% of current dose with at least a 4 week hold.

I realise that holding for 2 months averages out to less than 10% reductions, however if your withdrawal symptoms are starting to worsen then it sounds like you need to do a nice long hold and get back to withdrawal normal.  My suggestion would be to hold for 3 months on your current dose.  If the withdrawal are unbearable you could try a very tiny increase.  Whichever you do, hold or increase, I strongly encourage you to hold for a while.  It is better to hold for longer than to risk going too quickly.

And when you do start tapering again, I suggest that you reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose.  You can calculate the new dose by multiplying the current dose by 0.10.  If you want to round the dose to make it easier to measure then round it up so it is less than 10% reduction.

Even though my taper was going smoothly I did a couple of long holds during my taper just to give my brain a chance to catch up it if needed to.  Once I held for 3 months and the other time for 7 weeks.  I will be off completely in 2 weeks' time after a 6 year taper.  My last dose will be 0.0025mg

I am currently on 2.5 and I'm not moving from there until told otherwise by you guys or until I feel worse or better. I'm getting muscle symptoms by the way, its like they fatigue a bit fast and i just kind of feel twitchy sometimes, I still have full control but its like i always feel tense or fatigued, its really hard to explain. It may be because I'm working out again. I didn't do much of anything 2019 and most of 2020 and I can see my nerves being irritated from working out again, that's the only explanation I have. it's making my hypochondria act up, just getting intrusive thoughts that my nerves are dying and that i have a neuro disease, but im managing it, keeping myself distracted and getting my walks in every day still

• Moderator Emeritus

Other members have found that too much and/or too strenuous exercise can make withdrawal symptoms worse.

Alto responded to Marija recently explaining about exercise and cortisol:

• Moderator Emeritus

Click on the arrow top right of the quote in previous post to read the entire post by Alto.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's the discussion topic:

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

• 1 year later...

Hi, @Jansin,

long time has passed since Your last update, please let us know how are You doing lately.

Wishing You a lifelong window!

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 1 month later...

How are you? How is the anhedonia/emotional blunting? 

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022