Ryguy

Ryguy: protracted 7 years

Ryguy

has anyone experienced protracted for more then 5 years? I'm on my 7th, has anyone gotten severe acne from this? im afraid it will never end, but I've heard a few stories like mine, and also have seen even 10 years....please if anyone can respond just let me know if this will end 

ChessieCat

Hi Ryguy and welcome to SA,

I'm sorry to read that you are still suffering after such a long time.

Please tell us more about what drugs your were taking and how you stopped taking them.

Altostrata, this site's founder, created this site in about 2011.  She has experienced withdrawal after taking Paxil.  This is a video of her:  Alto Strata's Paxil Prolonged Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome (8 minutes)

This is the first part of her Introduction topic.  If you click on the arrow at the top right of the quote box it will take you to the topic:

On 3/17/2011 at 1:50 AM, Altostrata said:

I developed prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome after going off 10mg Paxil over 3 weeks in October 2004, at the age of 54.

I very slowly and painfully recovered from the autonomic nervous system damage over 9 years. For the last 5 of those years, I was unable to work due to prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

I started taking Paxil in 2001 for what I now believe was symptoms of menopause aggravated by intense work stress. After 3 years  with side effects on Paxil 10mg, I "tapered" under medical supervision at University of California San Francisco and immediately suffered severe antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

My doctors at UCSF did not recognize acute and severe withdrawal syndrome and treat it properly by reinstatement of Paxil even though I requested it in January 2005. I had found information about diagnosis and treatment of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome on the Web. (The recommendation for reinstatement in cases of severe withdrawal symptoms was added in the package insert by GlaxoSmithKline in December 2001 during a widely publicized lawsuit regarding Paxil withdrawal syndrome; the FDA has caused similar advice to be added to antidepressant package inserts ever since.)

Instead, I was prescribed Wellbutrin; when that didn't work, a parade of other drugs I refused.

Ironically, the notes from UCSF include a diagnosis of "prolonged withdrawal syndrome." After 10 months, in July 2005 I left the care of UCSF Psychiatry and started my search for a doctor who might be able to help me. That proved to be near-impossible.

Also see:  Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

This topic has been written by one of the mods who was a member of another, now closed, website prior to SA and is familiar with a lot of people's experiences of getting off psychiatric drugs.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Ryguy

i was on zoloft/lexapro and the benzos xanax/ativan and for a month cymbalta, but since the benzos were only a very short period of time, im convinced the 4 years i was on zoloft really did me in, for 7 years since ive been in utter misery, not sure how to live at this point , thanks for responding, watching the video now 

Ryguy

also i cold turkeyed in about 1 month or less 

Carmie

Hi Ryguy, 

I’m so sorry you’ve had protracted withdrawal for so long. As ChessieCat said Alto had it for eight years, but she did recover. It can sometimes be a long, slow process but we all get there in the end. 

Could you please do a drug signature, just press on the link above ChessieCat gave you. Thanks 💚

Ryguy

sure ill do it, is it the link that says "create or edit signature" then what do i exactly, what is a signature? 

Carmie

Yes Ryguy, the link that says: Account Settings - Create Or Edit A Signature. 

I know you’ve been off the meds for quite some time now. Could you please write in the signature when you started the medications and when you stopped. Also what was your tapering protocol. If you put this information in your signature then we won’t have to look through your thread every time we want to see your background. It will automatically  appear under whatever you write.

Again, I’m really sorry you’ve been going through protracted withdrawals for such a long time. It’s a shame doctors really don’t know anything about tapering and withdrawals. Take care💚

Ryguy

Does fish oil actually have an effect or just placebo? 

ChessieCat

Here is the link to SA's topic:  Omega-3 Fish Oil

On 2/13/2019 at 10:20 AM, Altostrata said:

The effect of fish oil, if you feel any, is very mild. But your nervous system uses omega-3 fatty acids to repair itself.

ChessieCat
1 hour ago, Ryguy said:

Are you saying you experienced 5 years withdrawal from 5htp? That’s not an antidepressants it’s just an amino acid isn’t it? 

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

divalee
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, Ryguy said:

has anyone experienced protracted for more then 5 years? I'm on my 7th, has anyone gotten severe acne from this? im afraid it will never end, but I've heard a few stories like mine, and also have seen even 10 years....please if anyone can respond just let me know if this will end 

Dear Ryguy I am now 6 years off Zoloft and still have withdrawals - so you are not alone.  I was going to post here soon again but somehow found it a waste of everyones time - because I am not getting any better....Please don't give up we must not - but I manage to get through the day - but nothing seems to be letting up. I do get a bit of reprieve at night - but next morning it is all back again.  Can you please list the symptoms of withdrawals you have.....Thank you.

Ryguy

My symptoms are 

hallucinations

psychosis

acne

insomnia

aggression

akathisia

blocked ears and nose 

rashes

joint pain

fast heart

gut motility issues 

pain in gut 

sleep paralysis 

food and exercise intolerance 

social withdrawal

agoraphobia 

homicidal/suicidal thoughts 

Electric jolts 

muscle spasms 

depersonalization

brain fog

the list goes on. You get the picture, utter incomprehensible misery , I’m 28 and not working, haven’t been able to walk out of my room for 2 years . Life ruined by this , couldn’t even attend sisters wedding . 

I have hope that this will be over but after 7 years, I can’t believe it’s even possible. I’ll be left with scars on my face, and perhaps gut problems for life, I have a constant stabbing sensation in my belly and though the hallucinations have subsided the brain fog has gotten worse to the point that I cant even read or watch a movie . I’m brain dead almost , speaking in clear sentences is also hard. 

What are are your symptoms if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Ryguy
Posted (edited)

Hey I tried 5htp and it was the best day I’ve had in 7 years but the next day I woke up feeling homicidal, I’m scared to do that again because of how uncontrollably violent I felt, but during the day I took it, I felt it was the missing ingredient my body demanded after 7 years withdrawal from Zoloft, what should I do? 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

Altostrata
On 6/22/2019 at 2:52 AM, Ryguy said:

My symptoms are 

hallucinations

psychosis

acne

insomnia

aggression

akathisia

blocked ears and nose 

rashes

joint pain

fast heart

gut motility issues 

pain in gut 

sleep paralysis 

social withdrawal

agoraphobia 

homicidal/suicidal thoughts 

Electric jolts 

muscle spasms 

depersonalization

brain fog

the list goes on. You get the picture, utter incomprehensible misery , I’m 28 and not working, haven’t been able to walk out of my room for 2 years . Life ruined by this , couldn’t even attend sisters wedding . 

I have hope that this will be over but after 7 years, I can’t believe it’s even possible. I’ll be left with scars on my face, and perhaps gut problems for life, I have a constant stabbing sensation in my belly and though the hallucinations have subsided the brain fog has gotten worse to the point that I cant even read or watch a movie . I’m brain dead almost , speaking in clear sentences is also hard. 

What are are your symptoms if you don’t mind me asking ? 

Hello, ryguy. You mention food intolerance, what have you done to identify and manage that?

Many of your symptoms, such as

acne

insomnia

blocked ears and nose 

rashes

joint pain

fast heart

gut motility issues 

pain in gut

brain fog

might be due to histamine intolerance or other food intolerance. You can track this by keeping a daily food and symptom diary. This will enable you to identify which foods are triggering your symptoms.

See

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

Histamine intolerance

SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets

Cut down on sugar to improve mental health

What do you mean by hallucinations, psychosis, akathisia, depersonalization? What is your sleep pattern?

Improving your sleep, even a little, may help a lot, see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

Nightmare While Awake? Sleep Paralysis, Hypnogogic Hallucinations, etc.

White noise devices for sleep

Light therapy for sleep problems

Ryguy

even on gaps , my gut motility is painful and noisy, and this contributes to other symptoms as well 

KMart95
4 hours ago, Ryguy said:

even on gaps , my gut motility is painful and noisy, and this contributes to other symptoms as well 

Hey Ryguy, if it's histamine intolerance.. which it sounds like it is, you'll need to try a low histamine diet for 30 days and see if you notice any improvement. GAPS diet is not low histamine. You can find a list of foods to avoid online. My withdrawal symptoms improved drastically when I switched to low histamine. When there is too much histamine in the body and the brain, it can lead to all kinds of awful symptoms including neurological. When I switched to low histamine my anger, restlessness, insomnia, full ears and blocked sinuses, acid reflux and muscle pain went completely away. I think a lot of people that go off psych meds have too much histamine circulating in their bodies that are contributing to the severity of their withdrawal symptoms. I hope that this may help you in some way.

Ryguy
38 minutes ago, KMart95 said:

Hey Ryguy, if it's histamine intolerance.. which it sounds like it is, you'll need to try a low histamine diet for 30 days and see if you notice any improvement. GAPS diet is not low histamine. You can find a list of foods to avoid online. My withdrawal symptoms improved drastically when I switched to low histamine. When there is too much histamine in the body and the brain, it can lead to all kinds of awful symptoms including neurological. When I switched to low histamine my anger, restlessness, insomnia, full ears and blocked sinuses, acid reflux and muscle pain went completely away. I think a lot of people that go off psych meds have too much histamine circulating in their bodies that are contributing to the severity of their withdrawal symptoms. I hope that this may help you in some way.

thanks a lot for the reply , ill see if that works.. ...i tried 5htp again for the 3rd time, and same results , i get rage, GI upset, panic, akathisia , but simultaneously right after i get euphoria .....i just can't win with this.....not sure how to get the good effects without the bad 

KMart95
Just now, Ryguy said:

thanks a lot for the reply , ill see if that works.. ...i tried 5htp again for the 3rd time, and same results , i get rage, GI upset, panic, akathisia , but simultaneously right after i get euphoria .....i just can't win with this.....not sure how to get the good effects without the bad 

Most of us can't tolerate supplements in withdrawal. The only thing they recommend here is magnesium and fish oil. I've tried GABA and 5-htp , had bad reactions to both and just about any other pill I put in my month ! At least a diet change can't hurt :) good luck ! 

Cocopuffz17
5 hours ago, Ryguy said:

I switched to a lectin free diet. I was able to come off a Paroxetine after 11 years on it. On top of that my body has never felt better with this diet. I am still experiencing withdrawals, I know they will get better in time.  Nutrition IMO is the number one thing. The gut microbiome is what needs to be repaired. Be strong you got this! 

Ryguy
7 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

I switched to a lectin free diet. I was able to come off a Paroxetine after 11 years on it. On top of that my body has never felt better with this diet. I am still experiencing withdrawals, I know they will get better in time.  Nutrition IMO is the number one thing. The gut microbiome is what needs to be repaired. Be strong you got this! 

thank you ill look up what lectin is, not sure i even know 

Cocopuffz17
5 minutes ago, Ryguy said:

thank you ill look up what lectin is, not sure i even know 

You are welcome. Changing my diet was the only thing that gave me the courage to come off the drug as I tried to in the past and the WD were too strong. I never felt better in my life after changing my diet and knew it was the perfect time to come off. 

Ryguy

is it possible to experience acne for 7 years after taking it, alongside many other symptoms....but i know it must be from them because not a single person in my family has ever gotten a pimple, but for 7 years withdrawal from zoloft, ive had severe acne and psychosis, hallucinations and many other things....is this something you have heard of?