Ryguy

Ryguy: protracted 7 years

Ryguy

has anyone experienced protracted for more then 5 years? I'm on my 7th, has anyone gotten severe acne from this? im afraid it will never end, but I've heard a few stories like mine, and also have seen even 10 years....please if anyone can respond just let me know if this will end 

ChessieCat

Hi Ryguy and welcome to SA,

I'm sorry to read that you are still suffering after such a long time.

Please tell us more about what drugs your were taking and how you stopped taking them.

Altostrata, this site's founder, created this site in about 2011.  She has experienced withdrawal after taking Paxil.  This is a video of her:  Alto Strata's Paxil Prolonged Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome (8 minutes)

This is the first part of her Introduction topic.  If you click on the arrow at the top right of the quote box it will take you to the topic:

On 3/17/2011 at 1:50 AM, Altostrata said:

I developed prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome after going off 10mg Paxil over 3 weeks in October 2004, at the age of 54.

I very slowly and painfully recovered from the autonomic nervous system damage over 9 years. For the last 5 of those years, I was unable to work due to prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

I started taking Paxil in 2001 for what I now believe was symptoms of menopause aggravated by intense work stress. After 3 years  with side effects on Paxil 10mg, I "tapered" under medical supervision at University of California San Francisco and immediately suffered severe antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

My doctors at UCSF did not recognize acute and severe withdrawal syndrome and treat it properly by reinstatement of Paxil even though I requested it in January 2005. I had found information about diagnosis and treatment of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome on the Web. (The recommendation for reinstatement in cases of severe withdrawal symptoms was added in the package insert by GlaxoSmithKline in December 2001 during a widely publicized lawsuit regarding Paxil withdrawal syndrome; the FDA has caused similar advice to be added to antidepressant package inserts ever since.)

Instead, I was prescribed Wellbutrin; when that didn't work, a parade of other drugs I refused.

Ironically, the notes from UCSF include a diagnosis of "prolonged withdrawal syndrome." After 10 months, in July 2005 I left the care of UCSF Psychiatry and started my search for a doctor who might be able to help me. That proved to be near-impossible.

Also see:  Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

This topic has been written by one of the mods who was a member of another, now closed, website prior to SA and is familiar with a lot of people's experiences of getting off psychiatric drugs.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Ryguy

i was on zoloft/lexapro and the benzos xanax/ativan and for a month cymbalta, but since the benzos were only a very short period of time, im convinced the 4 years i was on zoloft really did me in, for 7 years since ive been in utter misery, not sure how to live at this point , thanks for responding, watching the video now 

Ryguy

also i cold turkeyed in about 1 month or less 

Carmie

Hi Ryguy, 

I’m so sorry you’ve had protracted withdrawal for so long. As ChessieCat said Alto had it for eight years, but she did recover. It can sometimes be a long, slow process but we all get there in the end. 

Could you please do a drug signature, just press on the link above ChessieCat gave you. Thanks 💚

Ryguy

sure ill do it, is it the link that says "create or edit signature" then what do i exactly, what is a signature? 

Carmie

Yes Ryguy, the link that says: Account Settings - Create Or Edit A Signature. 

I know you’ve been off the meds for quite some time now. Could you please write in the signature when you started the medications and when you stopped. Also what was your tapering protocol. If you put this information in your signature then we won’t have to look through your thread every time we want to see your background. It will automatically  appear under whatever you write.

Again, I’m really sorry you’ve been going through protracted withdrawals for such a long time. It’s a shame doctors really don’t know anything about tapering and withdrawals. Take care💚

Ryguy

Does fish oil actually have an effect or just placebo? 

ChessieCat

Here is the link to SA's topic:  Omega-3 Fish Oil

On 2/13/2019 at 10:20 AM, Altostrata said:

The effect of fish oil, if you feel any, is very mild. But your nervous system uses omega-3 fatty acids to repair itself.