Ox123: My Mirtazapine Story

Hi all, I haven't been on here for quite some time as I have been very busy with life. I guess that is a good thing? I thought that now is a good time to write my success story since I have been off Mirtazapine for well over 1 year and haven't had any symptoms related to that for 1 year also.

Here is my introduction and journal I wrote to give you an idea of the journey I went through:

The problem:
So back in 2017 I was blighted with a severe case of anxiety, I won't go into how this was triggered as this could have been from a number of things that contributed to this happening including lifestyle, stress, partying too much, among other things. Initially i was prescribed Sertraline that literally sent me into panic after taking 1 tablet, this was then switched over to Mirt.
I was prescribed Mirtazapine to relieve some of the symptoms which initially worked (It helped me sleep and get my appetite back). However as any of you on this medication will know this drug is very unpredictable and can cause all kinds of mental and physical symptoms. 

Withdrawing + Symptoms
I was only on Mirtazapine for a total of 6 months which included 2 months of tapering (see journal for more information on this). Initially I found coming off the drug quite easy, some stomach pain, sleep pattern changes but not much more. After approximately 1 month my withdrawal symptoms began. I noticed that I was very emotionally unstable, meaning everyday worries/problems become huge anxiety triggers. This was even more worrying to me as I started to think that my inital 'anxiety' problem was starting to come back and it wasn't really the effects of Mirtazapine (I was wrong).

As stated, my symptoms started at the 5th week of complete withdrawal from Mirt and lasted almost 7 months. Yes 7 months! Thats longer than I was even on the medication. They were as follows:
- Severe waves of anxiety (some lasting up to 3 weeks)
- Weird OCD style thoughts, totally alien and not what I'd usually be thinking about
- Frequent migraines from exercising
- Weird joint pains (between fingers, also in my thorax)
- Rectal pain (this was very weird also, and would happen at random times)
- Random nose bleeds (worse during full dose but also happening during withdrawal)

There were more symptoms but I can't remember them all at this time, the anxiety however was the most problematic and painful. I kept a mood diary which allowed me to rate the severity of my anxiety and track any patterns. I also had psychotherapy privately which cost me alot, and actually wasn't useful to me due to the fact the professional was treating me for 'generalised anxiety disorder' rather than 'anti depressant withdrawal'. I cut this off during my taper which helped. I noticed that I was experiencing the typical 'waves, windows' scenario. Throughout the withdrawal process I experienced waves of anxiety approximately 5 weeks after each dose drop. This, to my knowledge, was my brain trying to re-adjust to not being medicated anymore. One thing I need to mention here is that - do not assume you are permanently screwed. I fell into this trap many times, breaking down into tears thinking "Is this how I'm gonna be forever?". This thought should be avoided, infact forcing positive thoughts to stop yourself catastrophising like this will help you get better.

Recovery
As it is for most, my recovery was very non-linear. I went through periods of little to no symptoms, then i could wake up with chronic anxiety and a whole host of physical symptoms to go with it. I almost gave up on my medication sobriety many times, including visits to the doctors only to be told i should re-instate. Thankfully I never re-instated once, I fully understand those of you who have re-instated though as withdrawal symptoms can be horrific and any form of relief is needed sometimes.

The one thing that kept me going was the fact that I was experiencing windows of no symptoms at all, this could range from 1 hour to 2 weeks of no symptoms. I remember the moments where I was coming to the end of a window and was about to fall into another wave, this was probably the worst part of all this. The fact that I was fully aware that my window was over and i was now about to deal with a period of chronic mental and physical pain for an unconfirmed amount of time. 

The eureka moment for me happened at about the 7th month of withdrawal, I was still experiencing anxiety spikes but they were literally lasting only one day, followed by many weeks of calmness. I remember thinking "Wow, I totally forgot I was withdrawing from medication, its been weeks since i felt bad!". I strongly believe a point of recovery is reached when you actually forget that you have been unwell, I guess the science behind this is that new pathways have been created in the brain. Over-writing the anxious pathways our brain has trained itself to regularly follow throughout this process.

Thoughts to take-away + Tips
Its now been 1 year since I experienced any anxiety symptoms, I don't even get the "Am I going to have a panic attack in this situation" anymore. That's a huge leap for me as I knew when that happened, I was about to go back into the anxious loop. At times, my symptoms were so strong I was thinking about throwing it all away and just handing myself over to be hospitalised. Somehow I managed to soldier on and keep fighting..
I really feel that I am back to my normal self which I remind myself of everyday. I actually think this whole process has made me stronger mentally as I know that there isn't much worse than what I went through. 

Tips
- Recovery is non-linear - don't set yourself a date to get better, it will happen naturally
- Negative thoughts actually slowed down my recovery, consciously forcing positive thoughts reminded my brain that it was still 'normal' and not 'permanently damaged' helped alot

- Positive self talk & speaking out loud to yourself allows your concerns to be aired if you are worried about what people will think
- Don't read any worst case scenarios online! These will make you feel worse and actually trigger the mental symptoms 
- Take it as slow as you possibly can. Withdraw slowly, don't kick yourself because you still feel sh^t 6 months/2 years later. Your full recovery date is set for you, nobody else
- Exercise, diet and sleep are of huge priority as they will give your brain/body what it needs to return back to it's healthy state

- Track your progress and remind yourself of your 'windows'. they will become longer over time

Please be aware I'm not a medical professional so any advice should only be followed through the advice of a medical professional.
I'm sending positive vibes to anyone reading this who are going through recovery, KEEP GOING!

Started Sertraline August 2017 - 1 day - Didn't tolerate
Switched to Mirtazapine 1 day later - Worked very well..?
Took Mirtazapine for 6 months:

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

(Smaller doses were inaccurate, breaking pills up into segments just by eye)
Tapered completely off Mirtazapine in April 2018. 

Hi is someone going to approve this post or have I done something wrong? 

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Ox123: My Mirtazapine Story
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thank you so much for your patience Ox123.  And adding to our Success Story Forum.

Over a year off Mirtazapine! 

I'm going to lock on up your introduction now, as is the custom here.

Ox's introduction can be found here:  Ox123: 6 months on Mirtazapine

Congratulations and thank you again.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

What a terrific Success Story! Thanks @Ox123

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks both. Apologies for the double post. Will be around to answer any questions on this thread. 

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

Congrats on recovering @Ox123.  How did you keep busy during withdrawal? Were you able to work? 

Adepsique: January 2016 - July 2016 (took half a pill in the mornings for 6 months) the dosage was 5 mg of amitriptyline, 1.5 mg of diazepam, and 1 mg of perphenazine 

Escitalopram: 10 mg: July 2016 - April 2018

Olanzapine 2.5mg: July 2016 - October 2017

10 hours ago, readyfortheworld said:

Congrats on recovering @Ox123.  How did you keep busy during withdrawal? Were you able to work? 

I had 2 weeks off work when it first happened as i was in complete dispair.

I then realised it didnt matter where I was the mental symptoms were just as bad at home or at work. So i would go jogging on a morning as sometimes this would reduce the intensity of the anxiety. At work Id feel like breaking down constantly but If I fed into this I would embarass myself so I just tried my hardest to keep busy.

Sometimes I would book holidays in if the anxiety became too intense so I could go home and sulk for a while - this self loathing thing was also not good though as it made my anxiety last longer.

One thing I would suggest is get out the house if you can. I noticed that if I got anxious in the house too much I would start to develop avoidance behaviour as Id associate my home with anxiety. Jogs outside, swimming, gym, hotel trips, holidays abroad all helped shed some of the symptoms.

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

• 2 weeks later...

Ox123, thanks for sharing your success story and so glad you are doing well!   God bless you!

2010:  Escitalopram (Lexapro) 10 mg.   Mirtazapine (Remeron) 15 mg. 

2011:    Tapered Mirtazapine: 5 month successful taper.  Then tapered Lexapro:  4 month successful taper

May 2011 to August 2017:   No medications, full recovery

September 6, 2017:  started Mirtazapine (Remeron) 15 mg  - due to severe sudden insomnia (I believe caused by statin use)

November 16, 2017:   started Escitalopram (Lexapro) 10 mg

January 1, 2018 to October 30. 2020 -- 34 month taper off of Mirtazapine 15 mg to 0.00 mg

June 16, 2018:  Started slow taper of 10 mg Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Current (mgai):    0.23 mg  Escitalopram

Supplements:  Fish Oil, Curcumin, bio active B vitamins, zinc, magnesium glycinate, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, saffron, citrus bergamot, ashwagandha

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Matthew 6:34

I'm glad to hear you are well! It's an inspiring story and I hope to follow in your footsteps. Do you feel that your CNS has stabilized?

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

On 12/5/2019 at 9:33 PM, Armorall said:

I'm glad to hear you are well! It's an inspiring story and I hope to follow in your footsteps. Do you feel that your CNS has stabilized?

Hi yes this has returned back to normal. I think the only lasting effect is the really bad memories and the fact I know exactly what anxiety is now if i ever feel that way. Luckily ive not had any symptoms for over a year, worry no longer triggers anxiety and i know this as ive had many situations this past year which would normally trigger this like they would during withdrawal.

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

Excellent, that is great news!

https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• 1 year later...

Hi @Ox123I hope this message finds you well. Your story gives me hope.  I was on 30mg Mirt from Dec 2019 - Aug 2, 2020. Doc advised me to taper to 15mg for 30 days then 15mg every other day and my last pill was in early Nov 2020.  Withdrawal hit me on Dec 9, 2020 and I was forced to take 15mg and again on Dec 23.  But since then, I have not taken any AD and I have been in withdrawal.  The anxiety has subsided now but I am left with burning sensation in my body and last Mar 2, was hit with tinnitus in both ears!!!!  Did you get these??? The tinnitus is very disturbing as it's sooooo loud!! I need all the encouragement I can get right now.  It's been 3 long months.....

Nov 10 - Dec 10, 2019 - Clonazepam & Alprazolam

Dec 2019 - Aug 2, 2020 - 30mg Mirtazapine

Aug 3, 2020 - Sept 2020 - 15 mg Mirtazapine

Sept - Nov 2020 - 15 mg Mirtazapine every other day

Supplements: B Complex, Magnesium, Fish Oil, Multivit, Q10, Vit D, Vit C

@JAV1 Hi,

Even Im having the same tinnitus problem. 

Initial days noise was too loud for me. As months passes it got reduced.

Now tinnitus become very negligible to bother for me. Hope for the best. 

I took clonazepam and alprazolam for 1 month and then my psych crossed me over cold turkey to mirtazapine 30mg. I took that for 11 mos including the 3 months taper.  i was hit with withdrawals after 4-5 weeks. But my symptoms are more in line with benzo wd than mirt. Is it possible to feel wd effects from benzo after 11 mos on mirt? Could mirt have masked the symptoms of benzo withdrawal during that time?

Nov 10 - Dec 10, 2019 - Clonazepam & Alprazolam

Dec 2019 - Aug 2, 2020 - 30mg Mirtazapine

Aug 3, 2020 - Sept 2020 - 15 mg Mirtazapine

Sept - Nov 2020 - 15 mg Mirtazapine every other day

Supplements: B Complex, Magnesium, Fish Oil, Multivit, Q10, Vit D, Vit C

• 3 weeks later...

Checking back in with you guys. Been nearly 4 years since this happened? All things are good for me. I can confirm 1 million percent that Mirtazipine absolutely made me extremely ill (close to suicide), and I'm so glad to be away from that. I actually think that the state of the medical industry is focused purely around profit and not on treating the actual symptoms. 

Havent had any weird mental/physical problems since recovering. Anyone withdrawing from Mirtazipine, please see my journal. I can assure you - IT GETS BETTER.

Peace until the next time.

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

Glad to hear from you. I used to read your success story everyday until I started getting better. Yes, late capitalist for-profit healthcare is alive and well. We must be vocal about this, especially from those who are doing well and can tell the story.  So wonderful that you continue to do well. 

I love your story @ox123 , I will use your story to get through my withdraw , I’m so happy for you ❤️

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 6 months later...

Im glad you guys have found some benefit from my story. I occasionally log in to reply to messages on here.

Quick update on things: 
I haven't had any major anxiety for a long long time, so everything mental health related feels like it's in check. Lots of things in my life have changed since posting my journal and success story. I have had some troubles with a breakup, the potential loss of my home, exam stress along with work stress. On the plus side, I've come through all of those things unscathed. I have noticed my resilience to stress/anxiety has become much more robust after this journey. I have an ethos with things now that any stress I go through in life is in no way comparable or severe as the stress of going through a mental health battle / medication withdrawal. So that is something you all should benefit when you come out the other end.

Hope everyone is well and if not currently, it will be! Just have to be patient - time is the greatest healer.

15mg for 4 months 

7.5mg for 40 days 

3.7mg for 10 days 

2mg for 7 days 

Thank you for posting!

😍 thanks for posting it means so much to all Of us 💜💜💜💜💜 @Ox123

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 4 weeks later...

Dear OX123,

THANK YOU!!! I experienced withdrawal from Lexapro during a Covid crisis and two deaths in our family. due to Covid. My PCP prescribed Mirtazapine at 15mg for sleep. I have taken it for a month and want to titrate immediately. I have enormous side-effects. I have disturbing tinnitus. I however I had started titrating off Lexapro as I was already doing so well prior to complications of supplements such as 5HTP potentiating dose and crisis. I figure I can hold at the dose of Lexapro and start with Mirtazapine. I am concerned that Mirtazapine is worse than Lexapro and I should switch to titrate of Mirtazapine. I have easily crushed Lexapro and use a scale to titrate. Did you use compounded Mirtazapine or did you crush the tablets? I figure if I crush the tablet enough the coating will be pulverized in the dose? 

You inspire me!!  I also use exercise, diet and an enormous amount of positive self-talk. I tell myself I am stronger than I know and when I walk each day I say I am strong, healthy, and I am recovering.  I resonate with your story and am encouraged.

Congratulations !!!! Thank you for taking the time to post!!!!!!!! May peace and love surround you!

Deb

DebM

20 years Pamelor 20mg

2017 began titration / 2019 off Pamelor

2017 due to discontinuation syndrome (DS) prior to taper -Lexapro 5mg added

2019 Began titration Lexapro

2021 Lexapro .7mg DS 

2021 Lexapro 10/5/21 5mg 

2021 Remeron 15mg 10/11/21 added due to severe DS

2021 Lexapro 11/15/21 taper started-4mg Lexapro; 15 mg Remeron

2021 Lexapro 11/15/21 taper error and 3.6mg; 15mg Remeron

2021 Lexapro 11/29/21 4mg Lexapro; 15mg Remeron 

• 1 month later...

If it's not too early for me to post, this thread gives me some hope. It's bad enough that I'm dealing with coming off venlafaxine (horrible), but also mirtazapine. California Rocket Fuel, eh? Anyway, the mirtazapine taper is also awful, but I do have those 'windows' of calm and confidence that help keep me going. Agree that not focusing on the worst-case is best. I've joined these forums to (hopefully) offer, as well as receive, positive updates.

After an awful taper of venlafaxine, my psychiatrist upped my dosage of mirtazapine from 15mg to 30mg per day. After two weeks of no perceived benefit (and, in fact, growing concerns) I chose to taper back down to 15mg. Even after only having been on the 30mg for two weeks, my CNS rebelled after about five days. I've been either stubborn, or tenacious, or a combination of both, but (after a one day dip to 7.5mg that preceded the current situation) have been holding at 15mg/day. My body may not be ready for the next step down for a couple of more weeks. As much as I would love to keep getting the mirt out of my system, I need to take it slowly.

I am going to do this. I am going to get this stuff out of my life.

Mirtazapine-free since Nov. 2, 2022.

• 3 months later...

Hello Ox123! Your story is very inspiring and renews my hopes. I'm 8 months away from full withdrawal, but I still have a lot of negative symptoms. My story is similar to yours even regarding the time of use, however I used larger doses. If you want to look at my history to compare, it's all reported in my post. I didn't have a withdrawal process as progressive as yours and I still used much higher doses (30mg and 45mg), I don't know how much the dose affects recovery, but it must certainly delay a lot. I wonder when you felt like you were finally free of withdrawal symptoms and your life was completely normal. Thank you so much for the report!! And congratulations on the recovery!

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

• 8 months later...

Hello there Ox123 and all.

Seeing this topic after reading back over your original withdrawal journey has filled me with unbelievable hope and reassurance. I infact feel joyous, and am bordering on emotional almost wanting to cry with happiness and relief. Really reinforcing the feeling that I will one day get my old life back. I am currently a few days past the 6 month mark since I last took mirtazapine, and man, has it been an absolutely intense battle to say the least. A rough rough ride. EVERY, SINGLE, DAY. But the best part for me is my time on mirt is very similar to yours, and the tapering time also, as I also tapered too quickly. When I read the part about you thinking “will I be like this forever”, is exactly how I have felt so much. I am even similar to you in age. It is almost uncanny how similar my story is to your own. So to have read this has filled me with hope and happiness, and has made me ready to get up again, and battle on as there is light at the end of the tunnel for us all. 

Thank you so much.

Keep going people, we will beat this, for we are too strong for some pathetic pill that has been designed to make money. Let’s go 💪😎👊

• 7 months later...

Thank you for the success story.

I am 3.5 months off Mirtazapine after only 5 months of use and I have suffered very badly.

I hope that I will be a lot better in another couple of months just as you were.

• 15mg Remeron/Mirtazapine November starting 2022 (severe physical side effects)
  • Attempted to taper off January 2023, ended up having a major breakdown and going up to 30mg, took weeks to stabilise
  • Therapy and self-care helped a lot mentally while stable on the drug (but with bad physical side effects)
  • Tapered off over 4-5 weeks, felt physically better all through taper & sexual side effects & palpitations went away
  • Last dose 20-24th April 2023
  • Severely physically unwell from 2nd May 2023. Had many bad symptoms eg. Palpitations, adrenaline rushes at night etc in the weeks following and couldn't eat. 
  • Many symptoms eventually resolved, but left with severe and debilitating fatigue, poor sleep and sexual side effects.

Summary: 5 months using Mirtazapine, including 1 month taper ending late April 2023. Severe withdrawal since.