Humanist56: 11 days on 10mg lexapro want off. Scared of what I’ve read about WD

Humanist56

Hello, 

I’m new, I’ve been on 10 mg lexapro for 11 days.

I want to bridge to Prozac. Lexapro side effects and fear of harder withdrawal ( to say the least from what I’ve read) if I wait are my strong motivations.

I was on 20 mg of Prozac for about 6 yrs up until 2017. I had no problem stopping because of the long half life I assume but had virtually zero issues.

For context I’ve also taken trazadone 50mg for sleep for 12 yrs and have not been able to get off that, so I do have experience with miserably failed ct attempts and one crude ( pill cutting ) experience. Miserable and disheartening.

The reason I want to bridge to Prozac is to hopefully mitigate the lexapro w/d and still be on something that addresses the anxiety and depression that caused me to go back on an ssri ( lexapro). I went on lexapro ( despite what I read about harder w/d) because it’s supposedly better for anxiety. It has seemed to work but the blurred vision, and other side effects I won’t mention ( you know) are not acceptable and extreme.

I’ve been off work ( my major stressor which caused my anxiety and depression crash) but I have to go back ( work from home in sales) in 9 days. I’m very worried about crashing with symptoms right when I go back to work but want to stop now because I’ve only been on lexapro for 11 days.

Please help as I know my GP will just do whatever I say. He already told me “ if you don’t like lexapro you can just stop it and start Prozac and it would be smooth” I’m paraphrasing. Your help and expertise would be appreciated. Main question: is my relatively short stint on lexapro going to make a non taper bridge easier? I know it’s a crapshoot but I don’t want to start a liquid taper for months after only 11 days on the drug. 

2012-2017 Prozac 20 mg, stopped no problem. 2016 to present Trazadone can’t get off, 12/16/20 to present on lexapro 10 mg. 

Edited by manymoretodays
new name added to title(mmt, 12/29), additional spacing for readability

1998 -2000 started and stopped several SSRIs because of bad reactions, Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin
2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

2004  Klonepin(daily 15 days)VERY bad cold turkey reaction after 15 days of use. 
2012, rehab inpatient alcohol, marijuana (sober since)

2012- present trazadone 50mg (At bedtime) tried twice to stop. 
2012-2017 Prozac 20mg, stopped Prozac CT without many problems. 

12/16/20- present lexapro 10 mg

12/27/20 started rapid lexapro taper 2.5mg every 2 days after only 11 days of use. Drug interaction problems with  trazadone suspected. 
1/2/21 last day of lexapro
1/321 now trying to stabilize on trazadone enough to begin taper. I was not using the trazadone in a consistent  way starting in late October and it thru me into wd  like symptoms. I was taking it at wildly different times each day because my sleep schedule (bed time) would fluctuate. 

• manymoretodays changed the title to Birdman: 11 days on 10mg lexapro want off. Scared of what I’ve read about WD

Hello, Humanist56, again. 

There is much I should add to the initial post. I am in severe distress. This is what lead to me starting lexapro in the first place. Horrific rumination about future financial issues and sustainability. I’m 56, been at the same job for two decades. 

I’m in a house alone, no family to lean on or get help from. I have a few friends and elderly parents but they don’t understand. All the pressure of bills, mortgage, cars (lease) etc  is solely on me. I have to start back at my HIGHLY stressful job on Jan 4th and I’m terrified. 

Since starting the lexapro I’ve had increasing interrupted sleep patterns. I take 50mg of trazadone at bedtime (which has been at 4am lately as I’m afraid to go to sleep) the really late hrs are the only time I can calm down. The anxiety is so terrible in the morning ( my morning has been 1pm) that I put off going to bed out of fear almost. 

The only way I can get to sleep is with headphones, guided meditations for sleep. I fall asleep for two hrs than jolt awake in a panic. Get up, pace try to compose myself then go back to bed and start another sleep hypnosis recording and fall back asleep. Usually only for an hour or two. Process starts again and I go out to the couch and usually sleep another couple hrs. 

I never had these extreme sleep issues before, the jolting awake, the vivid dreams during any sleep period. Again mentioning that I’m a complete slave to trazadone and can’t get off of it. This is one reason I’m so petrified about lexapro as the trazadone cns addiction is bad enough and causes me great anxiety. Trazadone is the only way I can sleep, at least before lexapro. 

My biggest fear is losing my job and losing health coverage and not being able to get medication at all let alone a multi year taper. 

I have very bad SI which I never had before but that started with the severe stress and worry about losing my job. This started in November of this year due to my inability to adapt to all the changes and tech while working a corporate job from home. 

My thought now Is to keep taking the lexapro earlier in the morning and hope my sleep improves. I have one week now to get my sleep pattern back and be able to start my workday with a 10 am  zoom call. 

The lexapro does seem to help with the anxiety and rumination to a point, the rumination seems to trail off and fade sooner. 

I thank all of you for your tireless volunteer work. I hope you’ll approve and respond soon so I can find out if you think I should continue the lexapro ( 13 days now) or call myGP tomorrow and bridge to Prozac. Prozac worked well for me and was not an issue coming off once I decided to. 

I should add that I’m very sensitive to meds, I once took klonepin for 14 day period at the lowest dose but wanted off, I had hallucinations, crying uncontrollably and it was horrible, lasted a few days but subsided. I had to go on std at that time. I also had a horrible experience attempting to get off trazadone with a crude taper and just gave up and went back on my regular dose. That was 5 years ago. 

Please help me with my thoughts and plan and hopefully future taper, unless you think I should bridge now because I’ve only been on lexapro for 13 days. 

Thank you again and I hope for some feedback. 

Edited by manymoretodays

1998 -2000 started and stopped several SSRIs because of bad reactions, Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin
2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

2004  Klonepin(daily 15 days)VERY bad cold turkey reaction after 15 days of use. 

12/27/20 started rapid lexapro taper 2.5mg every 2 days after only 11 days of use. Drug interaction problems with  trazadone suspected. 
1/321 now trying to stabilize on trazadone enough to begin taper. I was not using the trazadone in a consistent  way starting in late October and it thru me into wd  like symptoms. I was taking it at wildly different times each day because my sleep schedule (bed time) would fluctuate. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Humanist56.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

On 12/26/2020 at 8:55 PM, Humanist56 said:

The reason I want to bridge to Prozac is to hopefully mitigate the lexapro w/d and still be on something that addresses the anxiety and depression that caused me to go back on an ssri ( lexapro).

I'm not sure bridging to Prozac is necessary. You were off Prozac for 3 years before going on Lexapro. Since you've only been on Lexapro for 12 days at this point (which is not long enough to develop dependency), you could do a rapid taper off it.

As far as being on "something that addresses the anxiety and depression that caused me to go back on an SSRI (lexapro)," keep in mind that these drugs don't fix anything. The chemical imbalance myth has been debunked.

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

These drugs do have a powerful placebo effect, though: 

Treating Depression: Is there a placebo effect? video (14 minutes)

On 12/27/2020 at 3:18 PM, Humanist56 said:

Since starting the lexapro I’ve had increasing interrupted sleep patterns. I take 50mg of trazadone at bedtime (which has been at 4am lately as I’m afraid to go to sleep) the really late hrs are the only time I can calm down. The anxiety is so terrible in the morning ( my morning has been 1pm) that I put off going to bed out of fear almost. 

Please note these two issues:

• A MAJOR drug interaction between Trazodone and Lexapro:

Drug Interactions - Lexapro and Trazodone

• Trazadone has an active metabolite, mCPP. While Trazodone can help you sleep, its active metabolite can make you feel sick, anxious, and out of control the next day. Please note: adding in Lexapro will not help with this. 
On 12/26/2020 at 8:55 PM, Humanist56 said:

For context I’ve also taken trazadone 50mg for sleep for 12 yrs and have not been able to get off that, so I do have experience with miserably failed ct attempts and one crude ( pill cutting ) experience. Miserable and disheartening.

Don't give up hope on getting off Trazodone. You likely tapered too fast and without knowing about the active metabolite, mistook the side effects of the drug as anxiety in need of staying on an antidepressant. For the safest way to taper, please see:

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I should add that I’m very sensitive to meds, I once took klonepin for 14 day period at the lowest dose but wanted off, I had hallucinations, crying uncontrollably and it was horrible, lasted a few days but subsided. I had to go on std at that time.

Sounds like you're sensitive to drug interactions, which we all are. You were on Prozac, Trazodone, and Klonopin at the same time 5 years ago and they all have potentially dangerous drug interactions: 

Drug Interaction - Prozac, Trazodone, Klonopin

Please update your signature to reflect your brief Klonopin use in 2015. 

I know this is a lot to read. Please take your time and read over the links and then let us know if you have any questions. 

Edited by Shep
updated with new username in quote boxes

@Shepthank you so much for the response. I really would like to do a quick taper. I’m very worried though that I’ll be in crisis when I go back to work in a week. 

Please give me a quick taper schedule so I can start NOW. 

I don’t have any means other than pill cutting, I need to keep it simple as I’m barely functioning at this point. 

Thanks again, Humanist56

Edited by manymoretodays
name change in closing

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

@Shep 

@manymoretodays

my doctor said to cut the 10mg in half and do that for 8 days then stop. Can you let me know what you specifically mean by a “ rapid taper”.? I’m taking your suggestion and not bridging ( I can do this) just need specifics on my rapid taper schedule. I just took my first 5mg dose and want to make sure that’s ok in your opinion. 

please be specific with the rapid taper so I can follow it exactly. 

Thanks again for the help, I’d be completely lost without it. 

-Humanist56

Edited by manymoretodays
name change in closing

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Humanist56,

There is much I should add to the initial post. I am in severe distress. This is what lead to me starting lexapro in the first place. Horrific rumination about future financial issues and sustainability. I’m 56, been at the same job for two decades. 

I have to start back at my HIGHLY stressful job on Jan 4th and I’m terrified. 

Since starting the lexapro I’ve had increasing interrupted sleep patterns. I take 50mg of trazadone at bedtime (which has been at 4am lately as I’m afraid to go to sleep) the really late hrs are the only time I can calm down. The anxiety is so terrible in the morning ( my morning has been 1pm) that I put off going to bed out of fear almost

My biggest fear is losing my job and losing health coverage and not being able to get medication at all let alone a multi year taper. 

I have very bad SI which I never had before but that started with the severe stress and worry about losing my job. This started in November of this year due to my inability to adapt to all the changes and tech while working a corporate job from home. 

My thought now Is to keep taking the lexapro earlier in the morning and hope my sleep improves. I have one week now to get my sleep pattern back and be able to start my workday with a 10 am  zoom call. 

And okay.  Right now, I mean when you read this......I hope you can just throw out the clock.   As far as time frames go for complete return to baseline.  Which apparently, wasn't that great,even before the Lexapro.  Humanist56, I'll tell you something too, this all might be a great opportunity for you to begin to learn and then find and use more and more non-drug coping to deal with so many things.  You've just arrived too, so do be patient with this all, us and yourself.

16 hours ago, Humanist56 said:

Can you let me know what you specifically mean by a “ rapid taper”.? 

With the short term usage of these drugs, what we often suggest is dropping by 1/4 of the dose, and then observing for a couple days, and then down to the next drop of 1/4, and then so on, until off.

You did get to see the drug interactions, I assume.

And It's hard to know for sure, right off the bat, if you are having a serotonin like syndrome reaction right now.   Or for me it is.  10 mg Lexapro is what I, now, would consider a high dosage to start anyone off on too.  Milligram for milligram Lexapro is much more potent than some of the other AD's.

Here is  the comparison chart: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17117-dose-equivalents-equivalency-for-antidepressants-and-second-generation-antipsychotics/?do=findComment&comment=351323

And so, if your prescribing doctor has gone ahead now and told you to cut your dose in half, and perhaps knows you and your baseline a bit better than we do at this point........then I think if I were you, I would go with what they have directed.

We are not doctors here, just peers, who have been through our own stuff, with medications, and often diagnonsense. 

When have you been taking the 10 mg Lexapro?

When do you take the Trazodone 50 mg?

What time(s)

And then even if they are spaced out, or taken at different times of the day  I do suspect that you are experiencing some serotonergic response right now.

And best Humanist56,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I can also direct you to a bit of non'drug coping from Symptoms and Self Care in my next post too.

Edited by Shep
updated with new username in quote boxes

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

@manymoretodays

thank you so much.

my doctor really knows nothing about my baseline I’ve not had a thorough relationship in that way. I’m taking the lexapro around 1pm and the trazadone right before bed which has been very late 3 or 4 am. 

Are you saying to cut off 1/4 every two days if I seem to be handling it ok? And then stopping altogether after I’m down to just 1/4 dose for a few days? I don’t have any way to really cut down to less than 1/4 once I get there. I don’t have the wherewithal to buy a scale and wait, I just want off now. I’m determined to get back to regular baseline ( that was better than this terrible insomnia) and then at a later time micro taper off Trazadone. 

I realize completely that this is not medical advice but my doctor is clueless, he told me to just stop ct, only suggested the 5mg for 8 days after I said I didn’t want to take a chance. 

thank you again

-Humanist56

Edited by manymoretodays
name change in closing

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

And okay, once again too.......I'll stress that once having a drug reaction, and/or adverse effect, or interactions, it can take a bit of time until one begins to feel better.

Some of what you are seeing or feeling now may be pretty similar to what many of us go through in WD(withdrawal)

neuroemotions

......and you'll see the Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization link above, that Shep had given.  This may well be what you experience in the next several months.

And do, pay attention to the positives, or windows, even within a days time, when you get a breather from the intensity of symptoms.

Just know, that deep inside, this isn't you.......not really your norm right now.  Sometimes that can help.  And that thoughts are just thoughts too, they flow like a river, in and out, off and on, and as long as you don't act hastily on a thought........it often will pass in it's own time.  Sometimes swiftly in and out, and down the river it goes.

*Dealing With Emotional Spirals

good stuff here ^

This may apply as well:

Early morning waking- managing the morning cortisol spike

*Tips to help sleep

*Yoga for calming

And if you scroll down in the ^, you'll find the legs against the wall pose, and links to other simple poses.  I found many of these to be so helpful when cognitively.......thinking just was not going to touch my symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed out nervous system

And then......so much more, I don't want to overwhelm you with coping practices right now though, and you'll be pleasantly surprised what you might find on your own as well.  As far as what helps you and your symptoms.  So much on youtube and/or audio apps that can help.  Explore.  Here and elsewhere.

And then, a whole slew of things that might begin to help with the anxiety, over time, and with practice, and especially that secondary fear mentioned below, fear of the fear itself:

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

Eh, probably did overwhelm and you don't have to look at everything right now, but can come back to some of this.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again,  and I'm seeing your last post now.

As your time with Lexapro has been only 13 days now.........I think it's looking good, as far as a rapid discontinuation goes.

It usually takes a month for most AD's to sink their claws into our physiological make up........and so that quite probably has not happened yet.

So you don't need to worry so much about WD(withdrawal) at this point.

You do need to worry about what you might choose to put into your body in the future though.  And it is unfortunate, that we so often have to look out for ourselves so much in Western Medicine.

Use Drugs.com going forward please.  You can check individual drugs out.  And can also check out drug interactions there as well.  So that way.......I so hope you don't get caught up in using cures that so often become so much worse than the original complaint.  And I hope you might want to minimize, and or go drug free one day.......with a harm reduction approach to this of course.  B)

And then, if you want to post daily, in the upcoming days, in a simple Note form, along with your narratives and searching, that might be great too.  For us, to answer questions more clearly, or for you to begin to read patterns and progress.

And there is a preferred format for when you post these, that you'll see in that link(in the quote there).  Simple format, time(s) on left, and then on the right all drug(s) by name or dosage, supplements by name and dosage, activities, eating, sleep.  Just keep noting the times on the left, and the rest on the right for 24 hour periods.  Very helpful.

Then post full 24 hour segments, at least, at a time.

Best, Humanist,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
changed name in closing

• manymoretodays changed the title to Humanist56: 11 days on 10mg lexapro want off. Scared of what I’ve read about WD
22 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

And there is a preferred format for when you post these, that you'll see in that link(in the quote there).  Simple format, time(s) on left, and then on the right all drug(s) by name or dosage, supplements by name and dosage, activities, eating, sleep.  Just keep noting the times on the left, and the rest on the right for 24 hour periods.  Very helpful.

@manymoretodays

Thank you. 

I don’t know if I’m up to journaling and posting it daily just yet. 

Today was my second day at 1/4 reduction, I’m going to 5mg tomorrow for two days then another 1/4 reduction to 2.5. Then off. 

I’m concerned that I’ll have a bad wave but as you say my baseline was bad. My thought is without the extreme interrupted sleep the other stuff will be more manageable. 

I finally got 8 hrs of sleep last night. I used deep breathing and other techniques to not give in to the fear of the fear, the fear of the anxiety of not sleeping. I’m hoping that my reduction in lexapro and taking it earlier 11:30am ( was taking as late as 3pm) is putting more separation between my lexapro and trazadone, so my trazadone works for sleep like it used to. Knowing I have to start a multi year taper off trazadone eventually causes me great distress but I’m trying to take one step at a time. 

For now that is my rapid lexapro taper, non drug techniques to cope and a restoration of my sleep patterns. 

I’m very low functioning right now. Isolated completely, showering only once a week, no exercise, have to force myself to eat, rapid weight loss, can’t even watch tv at all and that is what used to calm me in the evenings. Now I’m just left with countless hours of reading self help stuff and this forum on my iPad. 

I hope I can hold on, this has been the most horrific thing I’ve ever experienced, never had such SI before. I hope I get through this and don’t crash when I start back at work in 5 days. 

It’s all I can do to just get through a day in bed and try to eat three times. The only bright spot was my good sleep last night so I’m holding on to that. 

I’m so scared right now. 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

@manymoretodays

@Shep

Hi, hoping for some feedback or connection. 

Slept almost 8 hrs, only woke up 3 times but went back to sleep ok. 

11am, woke to bad anxiety but was glad to have sleep. 
11:20 am took 7.5mg of lexapro as second day of rapid taper.

11:30am ate half a wrap from fridge( have to force myself to eat)

Noon, tried to check my emails and respond to a couple and anxiety and brain fog was bad. Start work Monday. 
1PM to 5pm stayed seated in bed for the most part, can’t do anything but read my iPad with the tv on in the background, low sound. 
430Pm ate three over easy eggs and fruit. Door dash I don’t cook.
8PM friend brought me groceries ( guy is a saint). 
8:15 ate turkey sandwich with organic baby spinach and glass of kefir.

Anxiety seemed to subside after I ate, first time of the day. But I also smoked a cigarette I bummed from him. I also vape all day. 

Im certainly aware of how much better I felt after I ate the healthier food, but 8pm is about the time when I finally settle down a little then anxiety can increase later as bedtime approaches out of fear of insomnia and the next day. I’m trying to not let neuroemotions get the best of me. 

I’m determined to do the quick taper and not add another drug to my trazadone. There is no way to know what is causing my anxiety and insomnia for sure and ultimately it will be lifestyle and self care and tools that get me through. I have no idea if eliminating the recent lexapro will normalize my sleep and allow trazadone to work again so I can stabilize. But I know I don’t want to have to worry about a long taper off lexapro later. The trazadone will be bad enough to say the least. 

I feel a little peace right now after eating and smoking? Oh well. I hope this all works out and I can keep my anxiety tools to get me through. 

last night I was able to slow my breathing and get to sleep, I noticed that as soon as I try to go to sleep my heart beat wants to go rapid as I panic about not being able to sleep. My techniques a of deep breathing and floating thru the thoughts worked. 

Im going to 5mg’s tomorrow. I hope I’m doing the rapid taper correctly. 

-Humanist 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Humanist56 said:

I finally got 8 hrs of sleep last night. I used deep breathing and other techniques to not give in to the fear of the fear, the fear of the anxiety of not sleeping. I’m hoping that my reduction in lexapro and taking it earlier 11:30am ( was taking as late as 3pm) is putting more separation between my lexapro and trazadone, so my trazadone works for sleep like it used to. Knowing I have to start a multi year taper off trazadone eventually causes me great distress but I’m trying to take one step at a time. 

For now that is my rapid lexapro taper, non drug techniques to cope and a restoration of my sleep patterns. 

Very glad to read you slept so well. The non-drug coping techniques sound excellent. 

9 hours ago, Humanist56 said:

Im going to 5mg’s tomorrow. I hope I’m doing the rapid taper correctly. 

As long as you quickly get off it before dependency sets in, you're doing it correctly.

9 hours ago, Humanist56 said:

Anxiety seemed to subside after I ate, first time of the day. But I also smoked a cigarette I bummed from him. I also vape all day. 

Thanks for including this in your information. You may want to schedule when you smoke or vape so you stay consistent with your nicotine "dose".  At some point, I hope you also taper this, but for now, just being consistent in vaping at the same time(s) of the day will help your nervous system stabilize. 

Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days. I hope your sleep continues to improve. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Humanist,

I don't have much to add.

That actually all sounds really good.

And I think the work, or going back to work anxiety/stress/fears might even resolve a bit, once you get going at it.  I mean it might take a week or two, or even six to feel comfortable at the routine and work.  I don't know why I said six.......maybe because that's what I often found........in paid work experiences, that it would be six weeks until comfy and confident.

I'm having pre- my work jitters myself.  And doubtful that this is supposed to happen with Yoga training.  LOL.  Starts next week, but I do have stuff to get to before it begins.  And am so thrilled to finally be doing it.

14 hours ago, Humanist56 said:

I’m determined to do the quick taper and not add another drug to my trazadone. There is no way to know what is causing my anxiety and insomnia for sure and ultimately it will be lifestyle and self care and tools that get me through. I have no idea if eliminating the recent lexapro will normalize my sleep and allow trazadone to work again so I can stabilize. But I know I don’t want to have to worry about a long taper off lexapro later. The trazadone will be bad enough to say the least. 

This is all good, but listen well to your body.  You might find that a lesser amount of Lexapro is okay for awhile.  I'm doubtful on that though, from what you had posted initially.  On the off chance, that you are doing better at a lower dosage, and want to stay there longer, and then do a 10% or less taper off, that would be okay too. 

Just so you know you have options.

Here's more on the quicker taper too, that you are doing now:  Adverse reaction after very short time on meds:  Quicker taper?

And yes, I think you are doing the taper correctly Humanist, given the time frame since you started Lexapro. 

And, thank you.  I really thank you for trying some NOTES.  Do more!  So many just won't or don't for various reasons and I think they can be wonderful tools of objectivity.

Have a well enough day. 

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

6 hours ago, Shep said:

As long as you quickly get off it before dependency sets in, you're doing it correctly.

@Shep

@manymoretodays

Thanks, that's the kind of clarity I was looking for. 

I truly appreciate the help. 

I can tell just from going down to the 7.5mg for two days that the lower does will be more tolerable. I suspect a start at 5mg would have caused less side effects (sexual, insomnia, anxiety).  Staying on that lower does may be tempting but I really don't want to have to taper off another drug and use scales and liquids and all that. I know that's not the only thing to base this decision on but I have to make a decision, and for now that seems right. 

I'm very fragile right now and the work stress is very debilitating, to say the least. I know that getting back in the swing in this quota based work from home environment (during complete isolation here in my home) is really the only way to mitigate some of these symptoms. I have to get back in a routine and get my confidence back. This job is brutal, but for me changing jobs is just not an option right now, if ever. 

The head swimming brain fog issue is probably the worst thing right now. I'm experiencing it right now as I type this. 

I hope that I can get back to a point where I can at least watch tv again and relax in the evenings, I can't seem to tolerate any kind of stimuli right now which doesn't bode well for my upcoming work on the 4th. But I will do my best and keep you posted. 

Any support and connection from any members would be appreciated. Especially from people dealing with having to work at a stressful job and worry about financial stability and the future while doing all this. It seems that so many on here are retired or don't have to work. I noticed that Shep did have to work through the taper and that made me feel a little better. 

-Humanist

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

@Humanist56Hi I saw your reply over on Nosummer's Introduction and just thought I'd bring this over here, now.

We have this topic:  Twelve Step Recovery and Surviving Antidepressants

you could resurrect a discussion there ......

And then:  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/6631-peer-support-meet-up-groups/?do=findComment&comment=478976

You might be able to find more in that last topic too ^, to explore, as far as groups in your area, or nationally, even internationally now, with Zoom and all.

And I hope you can get your Home group back somehow, and soon, since I think you mentioned that was helpful for you.....or they were.

Best.

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

And it looks like you may have already found the source of that 2nd link.  There actually is a topic on working in WD too.  I cannot link well from my present device but try survivingantidepressants.org and then the topic in your main browser and hopefully you will find it.  Yes...hoping you find the support desired.  I don't consider myself retired at all, btw.  No longer in the usual ratrace of sorts though...thankfully.  Plenty of worries that crop up regarding finances,etc.  and I get to carry a disabled label too.  No picnic.  It is what it is.  And....this kind of talk....your take....makes me feel a bit sad.  I will seek to understand and hope you find your people I guess.  Best.  L, p, h, and g.  mmt  ( and sheesh...maybe I do still have angst lingering)  Happy New Year Humannist!

23 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

I don't consider myself retired at all, btw.  No longer in the usual ratrace of sorts though...thankfully.  Plenty of worries that crop up regarding finances,etc.  and I get to carry a disabled label too.  No picnic.  It is what it is.  And....this kind of talk....your take....makes me feel a bit sad.  I will seek to understand and hope you find your people I guess. 

@manymoretodays

Please don’t think that in anyway was directed at you. I was just hoping to connect with other members and mentioned the work stressor. I was not implying that you don’t work and that matters not to me. I only tagged you and Shep because you’re the only mods I’ve dealt with. The comment was really directed at regular members who may have read my thread, not to you personally or anyone who doesn’t have to work. 

My reaching out was to all members to hopefully form an online support network. I welcome any connection with any member willing to chat share and support. 

I value all feedback and support. Now I feel like if someone is retired or something they won’t reach out. Oh well, hopefully you see it was not meant in that way at all, just an added data point, not at all a main or significant one compared to an open dialogue with other members. 

I feel as though I may be burdening the mods and hope to make connections with other members for mutual support, that is all. 

The last thing I would ever want to do is lose your support, you’re my main mod.

Best

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, no worries.  I'm fine.  I responded to your further apology in your PM, and may as well copy it over here too.

No problem.  I think I may need to do some further work on myself and my "teflon" shield.  I'm awfully sensitive lately and it really is just a "me" thing I think.  And may require further internal work.  Lol.  I do a fair amount of internal "dissing" and should break that outdated habit.  It's not helpful and probably never was.

I just searched, on the topic of working while in withdrawal and 3 topics came up:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/22711-anyone-working-in-withdrawal/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/9742-has-anyone-told-their-work-about-their-withdrawal/

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/22079-working-with-anxiety-and-withdrawal/

I did not know there were 3 topics going now!!!

Maybe I can merge them together one day soon. 

Those might be a good place to find other members dealing with similar stresses, and/or comment on.   Or visit their Introductions.

No worries.  No need to apologize.

I get to see what I still need to work on myself sometimes, when modding.......and so all good.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thanks @manymoretodays, So nice of you to search those links and to remind me how to use my browser to search for specific topics. 

So far I feel much better this evening. Not as fragile with external stimuli. I’m trying not to get caught up in the “is this the right dose now, what will happen when I go off in a few days” thing. 

Thanks again, Humanist 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

@manymoretodays

@Shep

@Altostrata

Yesterday:

10:40 Am 5mg lexapro, first day at 5mg will hold for two days

10:50am went back to bed, had only slept 5 hrs and woke up twice.

1:15pm woke, dizzy fatigued, swimming head feeling.

1:30pm / ate pbj and spinach salad, felt better after eating.

2 to 3:30pm/  Sat at pc and read this forum and made some entries, brain fog, dizzy, swimming head. Anxiety about rapid taper.

3:30pm / back to sit in bed, heavy eyed feeling, fatigue, cold feeling, but that was happening prior to lexapro anyway.

3-5pm, reading iPad in bed, urge to sleep fatigue. Some anxiety but not horrible. 
5pm / Ate turkey and spinach sandwich, feel cold when I get up and walk.

7pm / feel so much better after eating, always do especially after eating turkey for some reason, and 7pm is always around the time my anxiety subsides anyway.

8:45 / start to feel anxiety again, can’t watch tv, only thing I do is read iPad, mostly this forum

9pm / ate turkey sandwich, feel much better, had fairly relaxed evening, mostly on iPad but did watch most of a movie.

2am 50mg trazadone 

230am went to bed. 

My biggest takeaway is how much better I feel after eating the turkey and spinach sandwich, the relief is immediate. I also realize that sitting here in bed all day on this forum is not healthy but it seems it’s about the only thing I can do. 

All in all yesterday was ok and I continue to employ breathing techniques and try not to give too much weight to my minute by minute symptoms and keep things in perspective. 

I also slept very well and will track how I feel today. 

- humanist 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

@manymoretodays

@Shep

Wow, my appetite came back with a vengeance. First time I’ve been truly hungry in weeks. Had pizza delivered as I’d already eaten Turkey sandwiches  and spinach twice, just couldn’t resist the fresh pizza. 

Tomorrow will be my first day at 2.5mg of lexapro. This rapid taper has me concerned because it seems obvious now the 10mg was too high. But I’m going through with it because I don’t want to taper off lexapro later, trazadone will be bad enough.

It occurred to me after reading here that my problem was exacerbated by inconstant trazadone dosing, Starting around late October I started staying up very late thus shifting my trazadone dose from around 1am to 3am or later. Then sometimes back to 12:30 or 1:am. 

This may have destabilized me and led to the anxiety spike and cognitive issues. And my total isolation and seasonal issues contributed as well.

No matter what happens I’ll need coping skills and non drug techniques to manage my symptoms and issues. I’ve learned a lot in AA and thru years of working to get thru my depression.

The breathing and not giving into the fear of the fear work if I calmly make an effort.

I still feel very lonely and isolated just before bed though, it used to be a pleasure to take a trazadone and turn on my radio ( coast to coast am) and fall asleep. Now it’s a little daunting psychologically but I’m doing my best.

-Humanist    

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Humanist56 said:

My biggest takeaway is how much better I feel after eating the turkey and spinach sandwich, the relief is immediate.

I did a little google search on this, Humanist, and found this:

Patient.info - Trazodone

From this article:

If you have diabetes you may need to check your blood sugar (glucose) more frequently. This is because trazodone may affect the levels of sugar in your blood. Your doctor will advise you about this.

Even if you don't have diabetes, this drug can still affect the levels of sugar in your blood. It sounds like it's causing hypoglycemia, which is low blood sugar. So when you eat, especially protein like turkey, you feel better.

A lot of us experience low blood sugar while going through withdrawal. These drugs are hard on the body and cause a lot of fluctuations, including blood sugar.

You may want to go on a low blood sugar diet for awhile and see if that helps.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) diet

Suggested meal plan - hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) diet

Small, high-protein, low-sugar meals and snacks throughout the day can be very helpful. 

@Shepthanks, yea I was thinking the same thing about blood sugar.Thanks for the link. Since starting my rapid taper it seems obvious I’m approaching the lowest effective dose of lexapro. Constipation has stopped ( thank goodness ) and extreme sexual side effects have gotten better. 

I’m still worried that my kindling and over sensitive state will make the rapid taper a failure that I won’t know about for days but what choice doI have? I don’t want to deal with a long taper later, so I’m taking my chances. I know I could hold at 5mg or 2.5 especially since I’m going into high stress sales quota land on Monday but I’m not going to do that for the reason I’ve mentioned. 

I also think that taking my trazadone consistently and earlier has helped. I’m trying to not worry and think about that future taper and not let it get me down. 

Ive dealt with PAWS for years after rehab from marijuana and alcohol ( high quantities) and I’m very familiar with waves and windows and sudden onset of symptoms after months of feeling better. I’ve got tools to deal with them and hope they’ll suffice now. 

I also try to reach out to other members and offer support and good wishes. This helps me get out of myself. 

Thanks for the help. This forum is helping me get through and the responses are a lifeline. 

Humanist 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

December 31st symptom journal :

Slept fairly well night of Dec 30, 7 hrs, few wake-ups.

10:45am woke up, moderate anxiety, very thirsty. 
11am 5mg lexapro, headache, blurred vision 

11:15am smoked cig, small amount of coffee. Cig made me dizzy.

11:30 felt panic coming on deep breathing and got calm. 
12:30 Turkey spinach sandwich 

1pm headache gone, vision better, moderate anxiety, shaved and showered.

1:30to 3:30pm. Anxiety (manageable) fear of not knowing how to escape, can’t watch tv can’t relax. This daily feeling of not being able to do anything causes anxiety. 
4:30pm, anxiety better but still just reading forum and can’t watch tv which was always my go-to to relax, a simple pleasure I truly miss.

6:30 pm anxiety ok, I know I ate two sandwiches after 1230 but not in my notes. The eating really helps.

6:40 smoked cig, drank a little juice,

9pm felt fairly relaxed all evening. VERY hungry all of the sudden. I haven’t been hungry in weeks. Ordered pizza and ate half of it. 
1130pm anxious (moderate) ringing in ears (moderate) 

1:30am 50 mg trazadone 

2am bed. 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Administrator

Hello. Did the ringing in ears start before or after you took trazodone?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata

Hello, the ringing in my ears is not that bad. To answer your question it’s before trazadone, usually in the evenings. Never really noticed it much until two days ago. 

Once I take my trazadone I go to bed within 30 minutes and don’t usually have ringing in the ears as I try to fall asleep.

The ringing in the ears seems to have something to do with the lexapro, either too high of an initial dose or maybe my rapid taper.

Im really concerned about the rapid taper of lexapro because years ago I stopped klonepin CT after 2 weeks of daily use and hallucinated, cried and rocked on the ground for 2 days. It was horrible. 

Ive also been very inconsistent with my daily dosing of trazadone in the past, because I go to bed a different times, sometimes staying up all night. I’m now trying to be more consistent to stabilize. 

Humanist 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Administrator

Your sleep looks okay from those last notes. How often do you sleep 7 hours?

Is the tinnitus worse after you take Lexapro in the morning? After smoking a cigarette? Is it always worst in the late evening?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata

My sleep has gotten better since I started the rapid taper. My sleep is interrupted but it has been for years. But I would say it has been better the last three days for sure.

My sleep was terrible a few days after starting the 10mg lexapro. Waking up 4 or 5 times with extreme anxiety and doomed feeling. That has subsided as I’ve lowered the dose and taken it earlier. 

The ear ringing seems to be at evening/night starting around 6 or 7pm, I would characterize it as mild. I’m not sure if cigs worsen it or not. I vape nicotine too, smoke 2 or 3 cigs a day. Most timesI don’t smoke at all, just happened to get a pack recently. 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

• Administrator

10mg Lexapro was too much, it was affecting your sleep. How much are you taking now?

@Altostrata

You can see in my signature. I started on 10mg. On Dec 16th(just last month)and had the horrible reaction after a week. That’s what led me to the forum. I started a rapid taper after Shep gave me that as an option. On Dec 27th I started a rapid taper off lexapro (after 13 days at 10mg) of 2.5mg cuts every two days. Today was my first day at 2.5mg, tomorrow will be my last at 2.5mg. After that I’m off.  

27th 7.5mg

28th 7.5 Mg

30th 5mg

31st 5mg

Jan 1st 2.5mg

Jan 2nd 2.5mg

Jan 3 off.

i wanted to do the rapid taper after only 13 days of use and hope I won’t suffer too much. I don’t want to have to taper off it later. I know it’s a crapshoot but I really don’t want to take less, stabilize and deal with it in the future. Trazadone micro taper will be hard enough.

Do you think my rapid taper off lexapro will work ? (dumb question but couldn’t resist)

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

I will post my full Jan 1st journal tomorrow but I wanted to note a marked increase in anxiety and a bout of ruminating thoughts that hit me around midnight tonight. It subsided after about 30 minutes after I ate a little bit but it’s a feeling I haven’t had in about 4 days. 

Im worried about the rapid taper and going down to the 2.5 mg and know it takes a few days for my body to even realize it was no longer getting the 10mg. I know I have to make my own decision and I will. But ruminating thoughts were around going back up to 5mg and holding and still worrying about not stopping altogether soon enough to not have lasting effects. At this point I’ve been on the lexapro 17 days.

I will continue to use my coping skills and try not to get caught up in every wave. 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

I am sorry for ur suffering. I am suffering greatly as well from Zoloft WD, different symptoms but I can feel ur pain. I am not a doctor and the decision is yours but based on my experience I would advice u to not prolong your tapering. I had an adverse reaction on the 4th day and I kept taking per my doctors advice ..... I could tell my brain was altered after 22 days on Zoloft and got scared to do a fast taper... I did a 4 and a half weeks tapering adding too much extra time in zoloft in take, and now 69 days OFF the drug I greatly suffer ... words cannot describe. I cannot be sure that if I had done the fast tapper I would be better but I think adding the extra time made things worst, pure hell. I would advice you to continue with your fast tapper and wait a couple of weeks after being totally OFF the drug, see how u feel, and if ur withdrawal is unbearable (which I doubt it) you can reinstate a small dose according to moderators advice. Just what I would do if I could turn time back 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

@JesusSavemefromWD

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it. I’m suffering greatly today as the anxiety is back with a vengeance starting last night. Really bad when I woke up at 8am and tried to go back to sleep. Multi faceted ruminating thoughts a hundred at a time. I’m really worried about the taper but don’t really have a choice because I agree and don’t want to deal with taking it longer. 

It’s so hard to know and I realize the mods can’t decide for me. It’s very scary and overwhelming, I hope I find some peace, today so far has been rough. 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

Try to endure this for 2 weeks after coming off the drug. To my experience, short time AD users to get an idea within two weeks if they can tolerate or not the withdrawal. Are u already OFF? I am 10 weeks OFF and today I had my second window .... 3 hrs with considerable reduced depersonalization and almost no anxiety/fear/soul dread feelings. Now DP is back but feels a bit less intense than previous day. That gives me hope since I have had DP severe non stop . In your case should be faster to get some relief cause as I mentioned I strongly feel

that dragging my tapering made things worst.

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Jan 1st 

Slept well, 8hrs but that was two nights ago, night of Dec 31st.

Noon. Woke and took 2.5mg lexapro. First day at 2.5 mg ( see fast taper sig)feel ok, moderate anxiety but ok, somewhat normal

12:30am ate 

2pm feel pretty relaxed 

5pm ate again

7pm mild anxiety, still can’t watch tv or do anything other than read this forum for any relaxation. 
9pm tired, heavy eyed, noticed muscle tightness in legs but not unbearable.

9:15pm ate

10:45pm wave of anxiety, worse in 4 days since starting rapid taper. Worrying about onset of symptoms with fast taper

12:15pm bad anxiety worse since starting rapid taper. 
1:30am 50 mg trazadone

2am bed

Slept for 5 hrs woke twice. Woke 8am, tried to go back to sleep but had rapid brain zap/ flutters and high anxiety over the fire hose of rapid cycling thoughts. 

Ive had higher anxiety all day, some cognitive fog issues. I took my 2.5mg lexapro (supposed to be last day of rapid taper) at 11am, still having moderate to high anxiety as of 2pm Jan 2nd. Really feeling worried but trying not to freak with possible neuroemotions over rapid taper. 

I can literally feel the lexapro leaving my system and the ruminating anxiety wave returning. No way to know if it’s just me or the drug leaving or both. 
@manymoretodays@Shep

Please help.

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg

8 minutes ago, JesusSavemefromWD said:

Try to endure this for 2 weeks after coming off the drug. To my experience, short time AD users to get an idea within two weeks if they can tolerate or not the withdrawal. Are u already OFF? I am 10 weeks OFF and today I had my second window .... 3 hrs with considerable reduced depersonalization and almost no anxiety/fear/soul dread feelings. Now DP is back but feels a bit less intense than previous day. That gives me hope since I have had DP severe non stop . In your case should be faster to get some relief cause as I mentioned I strongly feel

that dragging my tapering made things worst.

@JesusSavemefromWD

Thats what I’m going to try and do but my problem is an over sensitized cns. If you look at my sig you’ll see. I was taking the traz at varying times ( bed at different times) and I’ve had many bad reactions to different meds over the years so It’s more than just this taper in terms of me handling it. 

I so appreciate you reaching out. I read your entire story a couple nights ago. The dp is something I’ve dealt with for years and finally just kind of accept it. But when it’s bad it’s debilitating. For me the anxiety is the worst. I hope I can handle this. 

Im glad you’ve had some relief today. I know reaching out and offering support to others here and letting them know someone else is listening helps too, service work always helps me. I learned that in aa. 

Please stay in touch and thanks. 

2004 to 2006 Prozac 20mg