Andrey630: Advice on reinstating lamictal and going off ativan

Andrey630

Hello,

I’ve been on this site for months and finally decided to post. I can’t even write because I’m in so much pain so my wife is typing for me. 

I tapered for 6 months off of lamictal, lexapro and Wellbutrin (which I was on for 16 years) and took my last dose in June. Since then I’ve had all the symptoms-loss of self, insomnia, nerve pain, headaches, brain fog/feeling dumb like my brain doesn’t work, emotional symptoms- anxiety, depression, etc., and the worst of all is akathesia. This feeling of discomfort in my body is hell. I want to crawl out of my skin. It feels like my body is on fire. Ive had twitching and convulsing and lots of suicidal ideation but the inner akathesia is the worst.

I’m currently at atmc and they pushed Ativan on me. I eventually gave in because I was in so much pain and I regret it with every ounce of my being. Ive been on it for 3 weeks now and I’m so scared. I don’t know what to do. Should I slowly taper? They’re telling me to just stop because it hasn’t been that long, but what do I do with the akathesia pain? I’ve gone down to 1/2 dose the last two nights and it’s been ok but the akathesia has started to return. 

While I was tapering I was working with a therapist who did “journey work”. Basically I had a full day session on MDMA, another one with mdma and psyilicibin, and another one with mushrooms and ketamine late june.

He also had me microdosing for a few months in the spring but I stopped that because it wasn’t doing much.

ive read that reinstating lamictal helped alto. Since I was already on it I’ve considered it at a very low dose like she suggests, but I haven’t found a psychiatrist I trust and I’m pretty scared of everything now that I’m living in hell. I’ve already been hospitalized once and to atmc and another mental health facility. Barely holding it together. 

any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

Ps. My testerone is really low too and I’ve been doing injections twice a week. Im wondering if I should stop that or continue. Everything in my body is thrown off

2008- lexapro 40 and Wellbutrin 450

2011- cold turkey went off everything. Deep depression. Reinstated pretty quickly 

2018 tapered lexapro down to 20, Wellbutrin down to 300 added lamictal at 400mg

2021- January I started to slowly taper over the next 6 months. 

2021 april/may/June’s mdma, mushrooms/psilocybin (microdosing) and ketamine. I continued the ketamine into October.

2021 September started testosterone because I was tested and was very low

2021 september- went to the hospital and got Delodid for stomach pain (very suicidal the next day)

2021- October lithium for 1.5 weeks 

December 2021-now- Ativan 

I take many supplements- fish oil, magnesium, theanine, etc.

2007 Wellbutrin 450 and lexapro 40 mg
2018 lamictal 400 mg

2018 lowered lexapro to 20 mg. Wellbutrin to 300
2021 January-June, began tapering all 3 meds 

2021 June 16 took last dose
2021 March- MDMA with a therapist
2021 April-June  mdma + mushrooms, microdosing psilocybin (stopped this in Early May). 

2021 Late July- oct. I started regular ketamine treatments every 3.5 days
2021 sept. A holistic psychiatrist asked me to take olanzapine- I took one dose and stopped. She also put me on lithium - I took that for a week or two and stopped. (Late September)
2021 sept. Went to thr hospital and they gave me deladid

2021 dec 20-now taking Ativan .5 mg at night for akathesia 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Andrey630: Advice on reinstating lamictal and going off ativan

Hello @Andrey630

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site with members like you that have gone through or going through what you are.

This is your page to receive information, ask questions, make comments and meet other members on the site. Please keep all your information on this page so we can access it quickly and can see what is going on.

I see you created a signature page, but can you edit it please to show the dosage of Ativan, Mushrooms/Psilocybin, ketarmine, delodid and ketamine.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

It looks like you did very fast tapers on all your medications.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Asthenia / Muscle Weakness

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

You might want to read a book called The Antidepressant Solution by Joseph Glemullen M.D. It explains a lot about akathesia .

Unfortunately, after 2 weeks your body becomes dependent on Ativan and can not just be stopped or cut in half. You will have to taper it by 10% a month.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

While we don't suggest supplements on the site, we do suggest 2. I see you are already taking omega. The other one we suggest is Magnesium. You might try a small amount of that and see if it helps. 

I'm very sorry you are going through this and hopefully after reading the links provided. Please let us know if you have any questions or how we may be able to help you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I just feel like I can’t go on like this. I just want to die.

any advice on reinstating lamictal? I used to be on it…could it help? 

going off Ativan?

I spoke to dr. Shipko and he said he’s had 20/20 success with reinstating lexapro and recommended starting at 5 mg. Has it been too long for me to consider that? Any advice?!? I’m suffering so much. He said lamictal wouldn’t be what he recommends. 

the akathesia/restlessness and awful agitation, my alerting system…everything triggers me! And I’m in such a deep depression I can’t see a way out but I’m so desperate. Everything feels is awful. Please help me!

2018 lamictal 400 mg

2021 April-June  mdma + mushrooms, microdosing psilocybin (stopped this in Early May). 

2021 sept. A holistic psychiatrist asked me to take olanzapine- I took one dose and stopped. She also put me on lithium - I took that for a week or two and stopped. (Late September)

@Andrey630

I'm very sorry you are feeling this way.

You were lucky to have a conversation with Dr. Shipko though, he's a brilliant man.

If he didn't think the Lamictal would do any good reinstating, I wouldn't do it.

We have had luck with members reinstating Lexapro in a very small dose. Maybe 0.1 mg. Then you would hold for about 7-10 days to see if that helps and we could always increase the dosage a little. It takes about 4 days to regulate in the bloodstream and a couple more days to register in the brain. Then you would hold for a couple of months to stabilize before thinking about tapering. Your best bet would be to get liquid so you can measure small doses.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What to Expect in Reinstatement (James Heaney article)

You might also split your Ativan into two doses and take them about 12 hours apart. That may help also. You would cut your dosage in 1/2 and move 1/2 of it an hour each day until you got it where you wanted it. So, if you take it at 8 am, you would take 1/2 your dosage at 8 am, then the other 1/2 at 9 am, and then next day at 10 am, and further until you get to the time you want it. Maybe 8 pm, that would be 12 hours apart.

Let me know what you think and will be happy to help you.

Edited by Frogie

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

@Andrey630

You will need to be patient during this time and try not to panic.  When we panic we can make poor decisions because we are trying to fix things quickly.  When it comes to psychiatric drugs, quick fixes can make things worse.  So we need to be patient and give our brain a chance to get use to the updose/reinstatement.

Hi Frogie,

Thank you so much for reaching out with your advice. The previous two posts were written by my wife, who is desperately trying to help me stay alive, but I am gathering the last of my faculties to actually write myself. I am in a constant state of panic. Panic is all I have known for the last 4 or so months. Before that, I had the extreme anxiety and restlessness, but es still able to have hope and my faculties (somewhat). Things have been getting progressively worse. My situation is very dire, as I do not believe that I will be alive within a couple weeks. I cannot stand this state any longer. The restlessness/agitation/inner akathisia…whatever I want to call it is so severe that I believe it has traumatized me into a state of severe PTSD from the entire world around me. The alerting system goes off for every little thing in my perception. My body has forgotten how to exist and spend the day. Even walking triggers me… my body screams to move on to the next activity, when there is no next activity that will bring relief. I have gotten to the point that even talking to my wife and 18 month old child over the phone is triggering. 

I am currently at ATMC. I came here out of desperation because the week before I came here my state got too severe for me to stay at home. All I could think about was car bumpers and how to gather the courage to put my head in front of one to make it stop. I was on a lot of supplements already when I came…and they switched me to their supplement protocol. I don’t have the wherewithal to find out what all those are. It’s too overwhelming. They ran a bunch of tests and are giving me supplements based on those tests. They also have me doing NAD+ IV. Sometimes I think that my body is not that sensitized because all the different supplements don’t seem to do much either way.

My state and functioning just keeps declining as time goes on. That is the most discouraging thing…as these last nine months have gone by, things have gotten worse and worse. All I’m able to do is lie in bed in complete agony while seconds creep by so slowly because the restlessness grips tighter and tighter. I can’t read, I can’t listen to anything beneficial, I can’t walk. Everything is completely triggering and throws me from panic into extreme panic.

I will say that my sleep has gotten marginally better here ever since they ran a cortisol panel and upped some supplements for cortisol management. I have been able to get 3-4 hours now, after which I wake up and writhe in agony in bed for the rest of the night. 

Any changes to my environment or routine trigger my symptoms to an exponential degree and my time here at ATMC is almost up. I will be going to my mother’s house because I am too unstable for my wife to handle while also taking care of our baby boy. I am scared that the change will be too much and I will break. I think medication intervention is the only thing that will save my life at this point. 

I am scared that since I was on 3 meds, I am thinking about reinstating the wrong one. Dr. Shipko told me that the SSRI Lexapro is most likely the culprit as Wellbutrin and lamictal aren’t as dangerous for withdrawal (whatever that means). He said that he reinstated about 20 patients in protracted withdrawal and had success with all of them…he acknowledged that on SA, some have had bad results,  it said he has never personally seen it. He was also adamant that I reinstate at 5mg…he said that on the site, everyone recommends a super low dose, but he does not. He said I should start at 5 and go back to my last dose over a month or so.

The other option is lamictal for the alerting symptoms. I have not found a psychiatrist who is knowledgeable that said this would be a good idea, but I know Alto did it. I know that lamictal is a “brake” and not an “accelerator” like SSRI’s.

I found another doctor who is very compassionate and knows about protracted withdrawal, but mainly deals with benzodiazepines. He said that he’s treated people in protracted withdrawal from antidepressants as well. He is suggesting I up the benzo and take it throughout the day for a while to stabilize my nervous system and we can taper slowly later. I know that when I was taking the Ativan 2x a day for 5 days or so at the minimum dosage (1/2mg), I did feel it’s effects more than I do now at 1/4mg at bed time. I know you suggested splitting my current dose, but I fear that it’s Ativan that’s helping me sleep and this will be disrupted if I start moving the time of dosage around. 

I am completely lost and know that without some sort of intervention. I have visited the cliff where I will be forced to take my life if something doesn’t help soon.

To tell you the truth, last year this time and before I tapered off, I had a happy full life. I experienced occasional depression, but other than that, I was emotionally connected, successful, had (have) a very loving partner and a ton of other close relationships. I had a successful business, flew airplanes, raced cars, went on vacations, and was generally a well-rounded very relaxed person. I would have never touched my meds had I known this is where everything was going to lead. My life is completely derailed and it came out of nowhere. I know many people get off the meds because they aren’t happy with how they are on them, but for me it’s the opposite. I feel numb with the exception of anger, irritability and sometimes sadness. Mostly numbness though.

I just don’t understand why as time goes on, things have been worse and worse…is that something others experience? In the summer months I was still able to work and went on a small vacation. In the fall, I felt worse, but was still able to be home (and had windows of relief). I would go for lots of walks and spend whatever time I had relief with my baby boy. But I kept getting worse and worse…I would definitely have reinstated in the summer had I known that I would keep deteriorating….Is there a point when things stop  getting worse?

What do I do to save my life?

2018 lamictal 400 mg

ATMC is also suggesting I switch from Ativan to gabapentin because it is less addicting. They say it’s almost like a “vitamin for your brain.” This place is awful (mainly in their expertise), but I am too scared to leave, even though I only have 2 weeks left. I don’t think I can make it through the airport at Phoenix to fly. 

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

gabapentin

It is a psychiatric drug.  Please read this post.

tips-for-tapering-off-neurontin-gabapentin

Since joining SA, whenever a medical professional suggests a drug, even antibiotics, statin, diabetic, I do my own research to find out more about the drug and possible bad side effects.  And of course, how to get off it when I want to do that.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Ativan is a benzo which has a short half life.  About 12 hours.  If you are only taking it once a day, every day then you might be experiencing interdose withdrawal.

With interdose withdrawal you will generally start to feel a bit better as the drug builds up after taking it, then as it wears off you start feeling worse.  And this pattern recurs at about the same time every day.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

5 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

It is a psychiatric drug.  Please read this post.

tips-for-tapering-off-neurontin-gabapentin

Since joining SA, whenever a medical professional suggests a drug, even antibiotics, statin, diabetic, I do my own research to find out more about the drug and possible bad side effects.  And of course, how to get off it when I want to do that.

Of course I know that. I just wanted to point out how useless the psychiatrist here. although this place claims expertise in tapering people, they have absolutely no protocols for doing so…the psychiatrist told me to taper Ativan by skipping days!!!!

2018 lamictal 400 mg

4 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Ativan is a benzo which has a short half life.  About 12 hours.  If you are only taking it once a day, every day then you might be experiencing interdose withdrawal.

With interdose withdrawal you will generally start to feel a bit better as the drug builds up after taking it, then as it wears off you start feeling worse.  And this pattern recurs at about the same time every day.

To be honest with you, I feel the same intensity of my symptoms throughout the day. It is all hell all the time. I thought about intradose withdrawals, as I have started to get tinnitus and really bad pain around my jaw/temples (like someone is squeezing my head in a vice)…but it comes at random times….sometimes it comes during the day, sometimes it comes on at night AFTER I take the Ativan. 

I was curious to see if switching to gabapentin and dropping the Ativan would be a good idea. 

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

Of course I know that.

I'm glad.  In writing it can sometimes be hard to understand what the writer is meaning.

I just wanted to make sure that you had the information because we have SA members who have difficulties getting off that drug. 😉 

1 minute ago, Thelongestroadhome said:

Dr Shipko is brilliant. I would probably do as he suggest. 

Did you work with him?

I am cautious because he only spoke with me for a short while as a consultation. He also said to just get back on lexapro and keep stepping my dose up all the way to 20 or 40 AND add in the lamictal if I still don’t feel well. AND stay on them for life. That goes against everything you guys all talk about on here. 

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Thelongestroadhome said:

Dr Shipko is brilliant. I would probably do as he suggest. 

Dr Shipko might have a lot of knowledge and experience, however we are all individuals and what works for one person might not work for us.  I think it is better to be cautious.

If you do decide to start something my suggestion would be to start with a tiny dose to see how you react to it.  In my opinion it is better to do that than to risk taking too much of something when your CNS is probably sensitised because it might make things worse.

3 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

I am cautious because he only spoke with me for a short while as a consultation. He also said to just get back on lexapro and keep stepping my dose up all the way to 20 or 40 AND add in the lamictal if I still don’t feel well. AND stay on them for life. That goes against everything you guys all talk about on here. 

Wow!!!  In a bad way.  I am so glad that you found SA.

Lexapro is a very strong drug.  Much stronger than most antidepressants.

On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

If you are taking 20mg of escitalopram, you are taking a hefty dose of an SSRI.

If you are taking 5mg of Lexapro, it's not tiny, it's equivalent to 10-20mg Paxil or Celexa.

And stay on them for life.  Right!  Also in a bad way.  And then what happens if the drug reaches tolerance?

Sorry I am disgusted by what he had suggested you do.

Q:  What drugs are you currently taking?

Please list the drug, the dose and the time of day you take it/them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Are you able to keep daily symptoms notes?  I think it might be helpful to try and untangle things.

This post explains why they can help and the format to provide them.  Depending on what they show you might only need to provide a few days of them.  I think it would be a good idea to do them and then the more senior staff can assess them.

Keep Notes on Paper

The only pharmaceutical I’m taking is Ativan .25mg at 10pm. It is half of the minimum dose of .5mg. I requested it compounded in a liquid so it’s accurate. 

as far as lexapro, before I added in lamictal 4 years ago, I was on 40mg of it for 13 years.

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

as far as lexapro, before I added in lamictal 4 years ago, I was on 40mg of it for 13 years

Q:  Did you start to feel gradually worse?  Was the dose increased and you felt better and then felt worse again.  If yes, then it possibly pooped out on you.

Information about ATMC:

alternative-to-meds-center-in-sedona-arizona

Altostrata is SA's founder and posted this.  And GiaK has managed to get off a cocktail of drugs.

On 10/25/2014 at 7:26 AM, Altostrata said:

I have personal experience with that center. I do not recommend it.

GiaK also went there. She does not recommend it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have asked for the assistance for a more senior mod.

Please try and provide daily symptoms notes.  This will hopefully help us to help you.

I was put on 40mg lexapro and 450 Wellbutrin xl pretty quickly (I think a month or 6 weeks) when I was 21 and stayed on those for 12 or so years. I experienced occasional depression throughout that time, so went to a psych and asked if anything could be done. He got me on lamictal (tapered up to 400mg) and dropped my lex to 20mg and Wellbutrin xl to 300mg. That was the combo I was on for another few years before the taper. I cannot say I felt much improvement or worsening of symptoms. Just kept taking it out of inertia while living a full life.

2018 lamictal 400 mg

I had ZERO side effects from any medications in my entire life. Antidepressants, antihistamines, sedatives, opiates, anesthesia, etc. I very occasionally smoked pot, I drank when I wanted, tried cocaine once (I know stupid), did hallucinogenics a couple times when I was in my twenties all without any side effects. That’s why when the symptoms started in the summer, I thought they would subside within a couple months, not get worse over the course of a year….

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

I had ZERO side effects from any medications in my entire life. Antidepressants, antihistamines, sedatives, opiates, anesthesia, etc. I very occasionally smoked pot, I drank when I wanted, tried cocaine once (I know stupid), did hallucinogenics a couple times when I was in my twenties all without any side effects. That’s why when the symptoms started in the summer, I thought they would subside within a couple months, not get worse over the course of a year….

The effect of psychiatric drugs, changing drugs and doses, has a cumulative effect.  What worked before may not work in the future, either taking the drug itself of getting off it.  We have members here who managed to chop and change drugs and doses for many years and then boom, one day the wheels fell off.

Please do not make any changes at this time.  I have tagged a senior staff member to see if they have any thoughts on your situation.

This explains how the daily symptom notes might help:

On 9/28/2016 at 4:49 AM, Altostrata said:

Keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and drug dosing

Are your symptoms worse at any particular times of day? A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

1 hour ago, Andrey630 said:

Did you work with him?

Hello Andrey,

I am so sorry, really sorry for what you are going through, I unfortunately know these feelings and this kind of mental torture very well. I have spoken to Dr Shipko a few times although he is not my regular psychiatrist (my regular psychiatrist is at a loss to what to suggest to me and admits she doesn’t know what is the safest thing to do, and I very much appreciate her honesty because it is true, no one can tell you what’s the safest way to proceed once these drugs have turned against you). I cannot advice you what to do but just wanted to tell you that Dr Shipko is the only psychiatrist who believed what happened to me and he advised me to not reinstate and that I will heal. However, after months of not healing when I told him I am afraid I am going to loose my life in this suffering he suggested it’s better to try reinstating than … well you know … He did however clarify to me that reinstating isn’t without a risk and the further out you are the less likely to work. He also mentioned that he reinstated a patient at two years out and it worked but that doesn’t mean it ll work for everyone that far out. I don’t know if I am being any helpful but just thought of sharing what he has told me. I it wasn’t for Dr Shipko and this site, I would think I have gone crazy …. Stay strong, your family needs you 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Thank you for saying all of that. He told me similar things. The thing is I don’t think I can make it much more without reinstating. It’s obviously a gamble, but it’s sort of a last Hail Mary before I am forced to tap out. Again, I am hopeful because I had zero side effects on the meds. I was very emotionally intelligent and very much in touch with my emotions. I was an excellent sleeper, no insomnia to speak of. Fell asleep within minutes when I was tired and slept through noise and light…didn’t matter. I used to get grumpy with my wife for having the blackout curtains drawn on vacation…lol! I was calm and collected and handled high stress environments with ease. I had occasional social anxiety when I was in places I didn’t know anyone and occasional depression, but i was always fully functional and plugged into life… I also most of the time still don’t feel sensitized…I’ve been switching up supplements for the past 5 months and don’t really feel any drastic effects.

These are the reasons why I want to try reinstatement, but mainly because I cannot go on the way it is right now. Maybe others on here are stronger than me, maybe not….

2018 lamictal 400 mg

13 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

Thank you for saying all of that. He told me similar things. The thing is I don’t think I can make it much more without reinstating. It’s obviously a gamble, but it’s sort of a last Hail Mary before I am forced to tap out. Again, I am hopeful because I had zero side effects on the meds. I was very emotionally intelligent and very much in touch with my emotions. I was an excellent sleeper, no insomnia to speak of. Fell asleep within minutes when I was tired and slept through noise and light…didn’t matter. I used to get grumpy with my wife for having the blackout curtains drawn on vacation…lol! I was calm and collected and handled high stress environments with ease. I had occasional social anxiety when I was in places I didn’t know anyone and occasional depression, but i was always fully functional and plugged into life… I also most of the time still don’t feel sensitized…I’ve been switching up supplements for the past 5 months and don’t really feel any drastic effects.

These are the reasons why I want to try reinstatement, but mainly because I cannot go on the way it is right now. Maybe others on here are stronger than me, maybe not….

Did they suggest RI in the place you are currently? 
I think both Dr Shipko and this site underline that RI is NOT* without risks but I hear you … I actually feel the same like I am running out of options …..

* corrected see next post by member confirmed that error was made.

Edited by ChessieCat
added correction

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• Moderator Emeritus
Just now, JesusSavemefromWD said:

I think both Dr Shipko and this site underline that RI is without risks

@JesusSavemefromWD

Did you mean to say "not without risks"?

Just now, ChessieCat said:

@JesusSavemefromWD

Did you mean to say "not without risks"?

Absolutely yes, I meant NOT without a risk, I typed fast sorry, please correct it of your can 

Symptoms while on zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus

5 minutes ago, Andrey630 said:

I’ve been switching up supplements for the past 5 months

Q:  What supplements have you been taking?

• Moderator Emeritus

At this time I think you should not make any changes and wait until a senior staff member reads and responds to your posts.  The staff are located in different parts of the world so come online at different times.

If  you do decide to reinstate, you might consider changing to citalopram which is a gentler sibling than Lexapro / escitalopram.

Please carefully read Post #1 of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

3 hours ago, Andrey630 said:

ATMC is also suggesting I switch from Ativan to gabapentin because it is less addicting. They say it’s almost like a “vitamin for your brain.” This place is awful (mainly in their expertise), but I am too scared to leave, even though I only have 2 weeks left. I don’t think I can make it through the airport at Phoenix to fly. 

This place does sound awful… I was told the same thing about Zoloft .. … it’s like vitamin for th brain that you can take for the rest of ur life… Really doc? Are u or ur loved ones in this vitamin doc? Idiots!!!

Symptoms while on zoloft

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  What supplements have you been taking?

I don’t even know anymore…they have me on a supplement protocol here. Magnesium (different kinds), omegas, tryptophan, milk thistle, NAC, glycine, theanine, taurine, endorphigen DPA, CoQ10, vitamin c, niacin, vit b6, digestive enzymes, trace minerals, ashwagandha, a supplement called cortisol manager, different natural tinctures and other combo supplements. Some of these I was taking when I got here…some were added in here. 

To be honest, I’d been taking the various supplements at home and noticed no significant changes when adding in or subtracting. My state has been severe and deteriorating, and the supplements neither hurt nor helped it. I’d have good days and bad days without rhyme or reason with the overall direction heading in a downward trend.

One thing I will say again is they ran some adrenal panel and it showed my cortisol through the roof at every point in the day. They upped my Cortisol manager supplement and ashwagandha (supposed to control cortisol or something) and my sleep has been slowly getting better. I had a retest of my morning cortisol and it showed a drop. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or the supplements helped that aspect of things….

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

SA has topics on many of those supplements.

If you wish to look for them you can do a site search or use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

I suggest at the very least you check out tryptophan and ashwagandha.

B vitamins can be activating.

Q:  Do you think you will be able to do the daily notes?  You haven't made any comment about them that I can see.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Andrey630 said:

I don’t even know anymore…they have me on a supplement protocol here. Magnesium (different kinds), omegas, tryptophan, milk thistle, NAC, glycine, theanine, taurine, endorphigen DPA, CoQ10, vitamin c, niacin, vit b6, digestive enzymes, trace minerals, ashwagandha, a supplement called cortisol manager, different natural tinctures and other combo supplements. Some of these I was taking when I got here…some were added in here. 

To be honest, I’d been taking the various supplements at home and noticed no significant changes when adding in or subtracting. My state has been severe and deteriorating, and the supplements neither hurt nor helped it. I’d have good days and bad days without rhyme or reason with the overall direction heading in a downward trend.

One thing I will say again is they ran some adrenal panel and it showed my cortisol through the roof at every point in the day. They upped my Cortisol manager supplement and ashwagandha (supposed to control cortisol or something) and my sleep has been slowly getting better. I had a retest of my morning cortisol and it showed a drop. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or the supplements helped that aspect of things….

Thanks for adding in the names of what you're taking. That "overall direction heading in a downward trend" may very well be your nervous system struggling under the weight of all of these supplements. 

You state your sleep got better with the ashwagandha. Was the timing of adding this in before or after you started taking Ativan? It may be hard to tell with all of the changes, but if you have any records, anything you can tell us about what you were taking before and after Ativan will be helpful. 

12 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

This post explains why they can help and the format to provide them.  Depending on what they show you might only need to provide a few days of them.  I think it would be a good idea to do them and then the more senior staff can assess them.

Keep Notes on Paper

I'm going to "ditto" what ChessieCat wrote here. If you can do a daily journal in the format shown in Keep Notes on Paper, that will be very helpful.

I started taking the Ativan about 6 weeks ago only to survive. The ashwagandha and cortisol manager supplement were upped a week ago and I noticed my sleep getting slightly better over the last week.

I am very out of it and a daily journal is too much, too triggering for me. Although there aren’t really any changes to my state throughout the day. And every day is the same. I will try.

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Andrey630 said:

The ashwagandha and cortisol manager supplement were upped a week ago

Q:  When did you start them?

6 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  When did you start them?

I started cortisol manager back in About October, but just the regular dose. When I got to ATMC, I kept taking it at night and they added a dose of ashwagandha. A week ago, the added in more ashwagandha and I believe raised the dose of cortisol manager as well.

2018 lamictal 400 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Andrey630 said:

I am very out of it and a daily journal is too much, too triggering for me. Although there aren’t really any changes to my state throughout the day. And every day is the same. I will try.

8 hours ago, Andrey630 said:

I started cortisol manager back in About October, but just the regular dose. When I got to ATMC, I kept taking it at night and they added a dose of ashwagandha. A week ago, the added in more ashwagandha and I believe raised the dose of cortisol manager as well.

Even if you decide not to work with us here on the forum, I would advise keeping a daily journal either in a Word doc or in a notebook. With the number of changes you're having, it would be good to have a record to see if there are patterns in how you feel before and after you take each supplement and drug, including patterns over time. The other recommendation is to taper off the supplements when the time comes. These types of supplements shouldn't be stopped suddenly. If they're masking withdrawal symptoms, your original symptoms from previous drug withdrawals may return and it can also lead to kindling, which is trauma to the nervous system. 

Except for one dose of olanzapine and a brief trial with lithium, it looks like you've been off all psychiatric drugs except for Ativan since June 16, 2021. Is that correct?