Moonlitelotus: introduction/body zaps/questions

Moonlitelotus

• Moderator Emeritus

So turns out I have a low thyroid. I also had a good day today I felt almost normal. I start the thyroid medicine in the morning, its called naturethroid it's made from pigs thyroid so that's interesting...lol.

Have you noticed any changes since you started the thyroid meds?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petu! I appreciate you answering my questions. I have had a horrible night of feeling like I can't breath and GERD and dizziness and just sick. I was literally going to call my doctor and make an appointment to start taking a low dose of my medicine again. But your post helped me feel like I can keep going at least for a little bit. I did have a pretty good window for pretty much all day on New Years Eve and last night I also had a window. But right now my waves are just about unbareable. I am not one to give up but dang. What a tough thing to go through. I haven't really noticed a difference with the thyroid medicine so far. :/ I am also pmsing so that is making my symptoms worse.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

Unfortunately, today, I reinstated with 0.5mg of Lexapro. I'm starting low to see if I can get away with getting some relief at such a low dose. I really thought about it long and hard. I felt this was the best choice for me in my life right now. I've battled this for almost 3 years now of trying to get off medication and I'm just done. If I have to take a small dose then fine. I chose Lexapro because it was the one I had the least side effects on and that was at a higher dose so maybe a low dose will work for me with very minimal side effects. My side effects from ssri are nothing compared to what others have had. I get acne issues and maybe some brain fog with certain Meds and hypoglycemia (only with Zoloft).Those are the ones I've experienced in the past. So that's really nothing and I would rather deal with that then continue to not live my life and feel like I'm dying everyday practically. I hope this works and I can feel better. :/ Also thank you to everyone who was willing to help me and talk to me during this tough ordeal. I appreciate it very much. To those who are still fighting for medication freedom you are so strong and I am in amazement. Sending positive vibes and good luck to everyone! God bless you all with healing. :)

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

Good luck on the reinstatement. I hope it works for you. Just wanted to say that after a week of reinstating I was mad because I thought it was doing nothing but giving me a headache, but after a couple weeks I noticed that my mental ninjas were coming in smaller numbers and the horrible thoughts were less. So please don't lose faith if it takes a couple weeks.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Thank you, Frustrated! I really hope this works at a low dose If I'm going to be on it I want it to hardly be anything lol. Guess we shall see. :)

I am on about .9mg and it is doing something. A low dose may work for you too. Hope so.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

When did you reinstate?

I reinstated 1.2 on Nov 30th but it was giving me a headache so I decreased to .9 on Dec 23 rd.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Do you feel like some withdrawals are now subsiding? How long did you go without reinstating?

I went five months without reinstating and I couldn't deal anymore.  It wasn't the pain that pushed me over the edge it was the mental ninjas.  The intrusive thoughts were scaring the poop outta me.  I have noticed that the thoughts have lessened.  I will go periods of time now when I forget all about it so that is progress.  I also had a window of a few days when my legs weren't hurting so that is also progress, but it took weeks back on a small dose to get there.  Now I am in a wave again but I also just had the flu.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

I went 4 1/2 months. I'm feeling slightly better since starting medication again it's now been 4 days. I forgot how long it took me to significantly feel better the last two times I went through this. I'm sort of scared this time it won't work. I think I'm just letting negative thoughts get the best of me though. I think after a month in a half to two months of reinstating the other times I significantly recovered. Guess my brain was going one way now it has to go another sgain. I'm done putting myself through such torment for a while. I hope you are starting to feel a lot better, frustrated, sorry you caught the flu bug.

thx.  I had horrid thoughts yesterday and today they come and go.  I hate that the most.  Feeling pretty sore today too.  Hoping we are all perfectly fine at the one year mark.  These window and wave patterns suck.  Keep holding on.  I will pray  for us.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

It's day 5 of reinstating on 1mg Lexapro andI cannot tell if things are improving or getting worse. Seems like it's about the same. When should I know if it's working? I don't think I'm having any adverse reactions but I don't know what they are if there were any. The last two times I went thru this reinstating helped me but I reinstated at higher doses. Like regular prescribed doses. I really hope it works this time because I cannot live like this.

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, today, I reinstated with 0.5mg of Lexapro. I'm starting low to see if I can get away with getting some relief at such a low dose. I really thought about it long and hard. I felt this was the best choice for me in my life right now. I've battled this for almost 3 years now of trying to get off medication and I'm just done. If I have to take a small dose then fine. I chose Lexapro because it was the one I had the least side effects on and that was at a higher dose so maybe a low dose will work for me with very minimal side effects. My side effects from ssri are nothing compared to what others have had. I get acne issues and maybe some brain fog with certain Meds and hypoglycemia (only with Zoloft).Those are the ones I've experienced in the past. So that's really nothing and I would rather deal with that then continue to not live my life and feel like I'm dying everyday practically. I hope this works and I can feel better. :/ Also thank you to everyone who was willing to help me and talk to me during this tough ordeal. I appreciate it very much. To those who are still fighting for medication freedom you are so strong and I am in amazement. Sending positive vibes and good luck to everyone! God bless you all with healing. :)

So how long did you reinstate .5mg for?  and when did you go up to 1mg of lexapro?

I am a little confused as to why you reinstated Lexapro when your signature suggests you were on it for a very short time and it was not the last drug you weaned off.

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

It took a couple weeks before I noticed that I was feeling a bit better but I still have waves and windows. I am far from feeling great.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

I decided to just take 1mg as I agreed on that with my doctor but I started only taking .5mg the first two days just in case something weird happened. I reinstated Lexapro because if I'm going to be on this medicine it's going to be one that gave me the least side effects. Lexapro I did best on. I was only on Prozac to get off these Meds all together.

• Moderator Emeritus

so its been two days at .5 and three days at 1mg?  Either way I would wait for another week or so to see what happens.   Have you had any adverse responses to reinstatement?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I don't think I've had adverse responses but I don't know what an adverse response would be?? How is it different from withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

good question but in this instance I would say its something new that happened immediately on reinstatment

• Moderator Emeritus

If you have to think about it, its probably nothing to invest too much time on

Well pretty much I feel like crapola all the time anyway. I suppose the only thing is that I have a little more dizziness and feeling not all there or foggy sometimes since starting the medicine again but that is to be expected I think because my brain has to readjust again. I just hope some relief comes soon. It seems like when I reinstated the other times I got better faster but like I said that was reinstating on a higher dose which I do not want to do. I hope to be on the lowest dose possible and yet feel normal again.

I am absolutely terrified from the information on the reinstating thread that it won't work and I'll be stuck like this. Why wouldn't it work if you start taking the medicine again? Wouldn't it just revert back to what the medicine was doing before?

Help please! I've started having panic attacks again could this be from the medicine?? Is this what an adverse reaction is? What do I do? Last time I went thru this I had panic attacks from withdrawal but reinstating after 2 1/2 months helped. Now I don't know if it's the medicine or withdrawal. Or like a relapse? All I know is I don't feel well. I've been having to take Xanax it's so bad.

when I reinstated 1.2 mg I got headaches so I decreased to .9 mg and now I am ok.  Perhaps 1mg is too much as wierd as that sounds?

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

Frustrated thank you so much for talking to me... I am so scared right now. In theory you would think reinstating should work at some point once the brain adjusts right?

yes you would think it would decrease the withdrawals at some point.  It took 2 weeks before I noticed a change, and it was mainly the mental stuff that decreased.  I had a week long window recently where my leg pain was greatly reduced but that window has closed.  Maybe the reinstatement was what gave me that window as well.  Not sure.  I think what you should hope for is that by the two week mark your withdrawals have lessened.  I am not sure that it will take them away but if they are reduced it will make coping alot easier I believe.  keep faith.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

So far things feel worse because of the panic attacks and my brain adjusting again I guess. I just had the worst night.. Woke up nauseated, anxious and cold. I believe I was shivering from the adrenaline response. I eventually calmed down but I have not had much sleep at all. I also have not had panic attacks in a long time so this worries me. I've had heart burn or GERD so bad that it makes it hard to get a deep breath and then I feel all light headed and that all turns into anxiety. So I can barely eat. I'm a mess and I just really hope something gives way soon. Thanks again. I hope you get a window again soon. Or just start feeling better in general.

If you continue to feel horrid perhaps you will have to take down the dose a little.  It may be too much for you.  I get horrible chest pain and stomach issues as well and it makes it hard to breathe.  Sorry that one sucks alot.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

What do you do if reinstating doesn't work? Then what? Just be hopeless until maybe some day things get better..

Frustrated,

How long after the dose reduction did you feel better?

What do you do if reinstating doesn't work? Then what? Just be hopeless until maybe some day things get better..

Honestly I don't know where to put myself or what to do anymore. I have pain and issues every day. Today its leg pain and chest pain. I pray all the time for relief but I don't know what I will do if this continues indefinitely. It has been 6 and a half months now. My headaches went away a few days after I dropped the dose by .3 mg. how crazy is that! That .3 mg can make a difference. This stuff is pure poison.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

If I have to stop taking the medicine will it have started me over in my progress? Does anyone know that answer?

It is poison I should have got away when I had the chance...

Seriously I know I keep posting and seem so desperate but what happens when reinstating doesn't work? I think I had an adverse reaction because my mom made me go up to 5mg! I did not want to and I told her it's not good to do that but she wouldn't leave me alone until I took it so I took it for the last couple days to see because reinstating the other times I did start on a higher dose. This time is obviously different. Maybe I missed my window. Things have definitely seemed to have got even worse since going up to 5mg. I have not taken any Lexapro today because I was so sick and I fear maybe I have mild serotonin syndrome. I am absolutely terrified and have no idea what to do now. If anyone can please help me.

• Administrator

Moonlite, we've explained over and over why you might not want to take a higher dose. More is not better when it comes to reinstatement.

It sounds like 5mg is too much for you. You need to take charge and do what's best for you. You need to control your dosage.

You also need to allow time for your nervous system to calm down. You haven't done that at all so far.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

So what should I do? Stop taking it or just decrease it? I'm sorry I know I have to stick up for myself... I should have. I know. :(