Christian: Reinstatement Question

Christian

Christian. You know your brain is intact. The brain has amazing regenerative powers. Read Norman Doidge ( "The Brain That Changes Itself. ")

Neuroplasticity of the brain is an established fact, now.

You will heal . Just keep saying that to yourself. That's what I did. 

Have some faith. .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you Alig! And ChessieCat thanks for sending the book. Both of you came at the right time. I've been at rock bottom all day.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

After months of dozens of doctor visits and tests I have been diagnosed with three illnesses.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Fibromyalgia

Functional Neurological Disorder

The latter is my latest and below is a description. It's basically serious neurological issues that are caused by stress. It's not a mental illness diagnosis. But apparently people have certain stressful events that end up crippled unconfirmed by labs and tests. I guess my Lexapro reaction was the stress.

The purpose of these diagnosis was for disability. I hope this is enough ammo. I'm taking a long break from doctors, googling my symptoms and the support groups.

I hope everyone is doing OK. We can beat this. Take care for now.

http://www.projectfnd.org/blank-6

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Christian,

I have just read your post in Bruin's topic where you say you are now on 2.5 mg Mirt.

The last date in your signature is 6/15/16.  If you have changed doses of anything since then please update it so it gives current information and can be easily seen without having to search through your posts.  Thanks.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat,

I probably shouldn't have said that on Bruin's thread. I'll update my dose next time I'm on my laptop. I don't really come here as much but still good to keep track.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am just touching base. Possibly my last post for a long while. Like I have mentioned on another thread I am now med free. Just like I was one year ago t this time. 11 months ago. I made the horrific mistake of reinstating Lexapro last November due to increasing stress and vertigo. That decision, as well as the decision to reinstate yet again for two months after going off after 8 days was even worse.  I am now unclear if adverse reactions are permanent. When I had my reaction, I had a chemical anxiety that must have stimulated my brain. I was confused if it was WD or the Lexapro reinstatement. Luckily, I checked myself into a mental facility (I never have even had a psychiatirst prior) who convinced me what I suspected. The Lexapro was the culprit. After tapering off Lexapro, the anxiety left my body over the course of 30 days. I was afraid to walk to my mail box due to the chemical anxiety from the Lexparo. The insomnia was awful. 11 months later I am med free. My sleep is still bad but at least I get 6 hours of (interrupted) sleep. The mental and physical fatigue destroyed me over the summer. I was bedridden, I forced myself to take an online saliva cortisol test that showed I had flatlined cortisol. The stress of t he reaction drained all of my cortisol out of me. The lowest that even folks on the Adrenal Fatigue support sites have ever seen. I found a integrative doctor who is now treating me with hydrocortisone. I am now able to move around much better and its good timing as my disability is threatening to cut me off.

I understand the risks of hydrocortisone. But in my case it saved my life. I will be suffering I imagine for several years. But at least now I can get out of bed. interact with my sons and do things with them. I may be able to even work on some limited capacity. The alternative was a bedridden life. I was diagnosed with CFS. CFS is often brought on by stress. If that's true Iwould say very few have gone through the stress my brain encountered for those 60 days. The only story comparable to mine on here is Jackson. The link below describes what i think what has happened to me. Below that are a list of all my symptoms and what remains. Thank you to those who were kind and helpful. It was very nice of those who were in WD themselves to help me in my time of need. I also wish best of luck to all of you who are in WD.   

http://www.ei-resource.org/news/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-news/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-may-be-explained-by-limbic-kindling/  

Symptoms

Head pressure/vice grip feeling- gone

Chemical anxiety-gone

Akathisia (non movement kind)-gone

Insomnia-gone

Feeling like I havent slept- surfaced once the anxiety left-present-better with hydrocortisone

Vertigo-gone

Vision issues-gone

Gait issues-still present

Mental fatigue-still very much present but much better with hydrocortisone

Physical fatigue-still present but much better with hydrocortisone

Shortness of breath-still present

Christian. Thanks for the update. I'm sorry for what you have been through. None of this is easy. I'm not sure why this is your last post for a long while but please come back at some point and let us know how you are traveling.

I notice that a lot of your symptoms are gone and even though you're not where you want to be yet , it's a definite improvement. Your sleep is better- 6 hrs is great and many other symptoms have improved.

I'm so pleased that you can interact with your sons and work is a possibility again.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This will be more than likely my last post on here unless it's in God's plan for me to heal someday. After talking to a doctor who focuses on mitochondrial dysfunction she was intrigued by my story and asked me to write about it on her website. Some of you site veterans might remember me a year ago as a scared person who was struggling how to get better. But like all of you I was once a regular person who did great things and also had a lot of aspirations to do more. Below is my story. Don't read it if you are searching for a happy ending. I wish all of you healing.

https://www.hormonesmatter.com/kindled-brain-long-term-lexapro-use-reactions/#comments

Hi Christian

I was truly moved to read your account. It is terrible what these drugs can do to us. You didn't sell your soul to the devil you just took medical advice to help you feel better. So many of us have done that without giving a second thought to the effects of the medication. Why should we when a health professional should know what they are doing.

I know only too well like most of us on this site how hard it is to deal with how our poor brains and bodies have been left post antidepressants. But please try to never give up hope. In your last post you mentioned that a lot of the symptoms had either lessened or gone.

Please stay in touch and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best.

Flowers  

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• 1 year later...

Since my 2nd failed Lexapro reinstatement two plus years ago and my progressive (and quite different than WD) symptoms I have had two SPECT scans showing Toxic Encephelopathy. I also had a QEEG showing a brain injury. I also had an MRI showing brain lesions. I took these abnormal scans and found a brilliant neurotoxicologist. He had the courage to diagnose me with Lexapro induced Toxic Encephelopathy and also Medication Induced Major Neurocognitive Disorder. He also did a  full medical and medication review for the last 36 months along with neuropsych testing showing severe brain damage. Please consider using these tests to help you prove your chemical brain injury. And do it quickly while you can still hire a lawyer. I’ll never work again, probably never drive a car or watch TV either. Never,  ever reinstate. 

http://www.braininjury.com/diagnostics.shtml

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

For the information of all:

Our records show no one on SurvivingAntidepressants.org told or even suggested to Christian that he reinstate Lexapro at any dosage. He decided to do so himself before joining the site. Later, he increased the dosage at the instruction of a doctor. He never reported symptoms of kindling. SurvivingAntidepressants.org has nothing to do with the symptoms he attributes to taking Lexapro.

For evidence of the above, you may read the 12 pages of this topic and any other posts Christian made on this site with responses from moderators and members by clicking on the icon under his name and then Find Content.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 11 months later...

This story is terrifying. Very scary for those of us who are hopeful for healing. 

Avrgejane (47 year old female)

2015 - approx. 5-6 months on cipralex due to miscarriage stress, 10 mg, tapered over about 2-3 months successfully 

2017 - Approx. 8 months on cipralex due to miscarriage stress, 10 mg, tapered over about 3 months successfully 

Beginning of July 2017 - took approx 3 Ativan sublingual .5 and about 4 oxycodone for pain from miscarriage. 

Mid July 2017 - took 1/2 prozasin 2mg (1mg) and 1/4 zoplicone 5mg (1.25mg) for about 2-3 weeks but made me feel awful so I CT. 

August 2017 - 5 days of vaginal valium 10mg after pelvic floor pain after D&C. 

August 11, 2019 - prescribed amitriptyline for nerve pain in teeth, started at 12.5mg for a week, then 25mg for a week (panic attacks), increased to 50mg for 2 weeks (panic attacks), increased to 100mg for 4 days (panic attacks) followed by an extremely quick taper - 50mg for 3 days, 25mg for 3 days, 12.5mg for 3 days, 6mg for 2 days. Have not taken amitriptyline since Sept 30th, 2019. 

Took Clonazipam intermittently (14 in 40 days average .25-50 mg) from Aug 25-Oct 8, 2019. 
Currently taking 90mg natural desiccated thyroid. 

• Administrator

Christian had multiple health problems; going on and off psychiatric drugs made them worse. His is an unusual case.

Nothing he was told here contributed to his condition.

He acknowledges this now. We are friends on Facebook.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata locked this topic