Daisy1: Citalopram side effects causing misery

Daisy1

Thank you both for your replies, I will start the antibiotics tomorrow and prey they don't make me feel any worse, and hopefully get to the bottom of this when the results come back

Started Fluoxetine 40mg In 2010

Switched to citalopram 2011.Fluoxetine made me very drowsy.

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

Almost 2 years med free, happy and less anxiety.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Stopped cit 01/8/16. Stopped quetiapine 3/8/16

Taking fish oil

I didn't take the antibiotics as I know I don't have an infection. I'm so pleased my thyroid test came back today as normal ! In just one month of eating well (lots of bananas, nuts and fish, veg, fish oil) this has corrected itself, so it does prove healing is possible. I am still having problems a lot of ocd,and bad add symptoms but this result has given me great hope my body and brain are healing

Came off citalopram 2014 over 2 weeks tapering as advised by GP. Mild WD symptoms, brain zaps.

June 2016 start 20mg citalopram for anxiety, experince akathisa, intrusive harming thoughts, hallucinations, hypermania, negative ruminations, insomnia, no appetite, dioreah, racing thoughts/mind chatter.

Droped to 10mg for 1 week after 10 days on 20mg, then 1 week at 15mg by alternating doses then 1 week at 20mg before dropping to 10mg again for 1 week then 5 days at 5mg. Quick taper due to reaction.

Started .5mg lorozepam/ 2.5mg diazepam every other day from week 2 on cit sometimes daily for about 2 weeks stopped CT as was put on 25mg quetiapine.

Taking fish oil

Daisy. I have found Colloidal Silver to be an effective substitute for antibiotics. I would rather not take anything doctor prescribed - but that's just me. The body is a great healer when given the right conditions. Nutrition is " key ".

I'm glad that you have hope. It is a great healer , as well. :)

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 2 weeks later...

I've had results back from gp and I am very low in vit D. I'm going back on Monday and going to ask for an autoimmune and acht test. When i wake up in the morning my heart starts beating fast then drops down after an hour. I'm itchy all over, and devolving white patches on legs which I think is vertiligo. My racing mind has not calmed down at all. I can only get away from this with reading or speaking. I have 2 hours roughly in the evening where I can watch tv without constant thoughts/mental anxiety. I feel really inhuman at the moment and struggling to stay positive with the emotional blunting. I am able to sleep 7-8 hours but have very vivid dreams and feel exhausted all day. I just wish my mind would stop torturing me.

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

If you supplement with Vitamin D3, remember to start with a low dose, monitor your symptoms and wellness, and increase the dose slowly. Vitamin D is a hormone, actually, and is quite powerful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks Scallywag. I've returned from gp. I have no protein in urine anymore, I didn't take the antibiotics. But I have keytones in urine now and she said my white blood count was elevated. She has booked me in again for insulin test, calcium blood test and cortisol test and another ecg. Feel like death.

Taking fish oil

Hi Joy, thank you for asking. I wish I was better but I'm going down hill, not only mentally but physically. Doctors are trying to help me but it's just one problem after another. Wish I had never touched this poison x

Taking fish oil

Hi Joy, thank you for asking. I wish I was better but I'm going down hill, not only mentally but physically. Doctors are trying to help me but it's just one problem after another. Wish I had never touched this poison x

me too all my problems start after adverse reaction to citalopram.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

Sorry to hear that Chuck. I see you have a lot of stomach issues. I can't seem to tolerate anything with gluten in now and my appetite is really suppressed. My stomach makes horrid noises with anything I eat. I wish you a full recovery.

Taking fish oil

Thank you Daisy1, My stomach is not the real bad before colonscopy prep, I digested almost all foods now I have digestive problems and weight loss. If you do not digest gluten-based foods, for a while trying to reduce them from your diet, the society pushes to consume these foods, but they it is not that are so healthy food, the humans being in its early days it never fed gluten-based foods.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

• Mentor

Hi daisy,  just joining the discussion.  Sorry you are feeling so poorly.    Just wanted to mention that seroquel withdrawal, is notorious for the itchy skin, and dry skin.  My skin is awful, I cants stop scratching, but hopefully it will improve for me. It may take a few months for the poor skin and itch to go away.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Thanks Ang. It's mainly my legs. Feeling very down today. I did my Rxisk report today and my yellow card report to the MRHA. Is there much point in completing one to the FDA as I'm in the UK ? I rang up the gp yesterday too and the nurse said yes your blood results are back but gp has put no action. I'm going to ring and ask what they say. So it's completely normal for them for me to have had low potassium in my urine, protein in my urine, keytones in my urine and elevated white blood cell count and 2 menstrual cycles in one month at 28 ?

Taking fish oil

Have you tried pure Aloe Vera Ang ? It may help. I hope it clears up soon.

Taking fish oil

Got results for prolactin level which is only 90. High red blood cell count too. Looking like these pills have caused me a stroke !

Taking fish oil

I have reinstated 20 mg because my stomach was in a really bad way and I can't work like that.  It seems SSRIs work in the stomach as much as the brain.  Some call the stomach a 2nd brain, it is certainly the most emotionally active part of us after our brains.

Oh dear.  Taking it again to stop stomach trouble seems awful.

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

I hope it brings you some relief Joy. I can only eat a bit in the evening, 0 appetite in the day. I Made a mistake and ate a burger from KFC last night and had a horrendous stomach this morning ! Never again. I couldn't be bothered to cook and my hubby wanted something different, he doesn't cook either. I use to love my food, and cooking but plain things are all I can tolerate now. I'm going to cook a spag bol from scratch later, I can tolerate the mince and veg and it's my stepsons favourite. Last 2 nights I have been waking in the night sweating and cold, dehydrated. Got to blitz the house today as my stepson is over this weekend, but my arms feel so weak today.

Taking fish oil

The 20 mg is restoring  my stomach and enabling me to work,, but then I am back stuck on 20 mg citalopram.  Yours is the way forward because you are toughing it out whereas I gave up, but I can't let myself get that ill.

Hopefully you can stabalise and then micro taper in a couple of months time ? Unfortunately I had no option, I had a severe adverse reaction 5 days in and was told by gps to keep taking it and given more drugs to take. Sadly GPS just think it's 'side effects' they don't understand these drugs actually destroy someone's brain cells. I'm still uncertain if I will be ok. Besides my mental health, my physical health is going down hill quite quickly, my GPS are actually listening to me now as every blood result or hormone result is abnormal.

If I hadn't found this site and stopped taking it I don't think I would be here today. I just wish I had found this site on day 5, and not other sites saying it's common side effects you will be ok in 4 weeks ! It's a shame this site doesn't come up on the fist page of a Google search on antidepressents. You take care Joy

Taking fish oil

Seriously don't know how much longer I can take this. Burning sensations around my head and fluttering in my chest like im going to combust! I feel like I've already died. I feel so sorry for my family to go through this too. How can life be this cruel ?

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Although your current symptoms are uncomfortable and can be worrying, it won't help you and your life to give them more power than they have. It's a tricky balance to maintain -- be aware of and accept your symptoms *while* not focusing on them.

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Many of the ideas in this thread are helpful for physical symptoms as well as emotional ones: Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Hi, this is a time when you can grow through this problem.  I don't know if you are working or not, if you are not working there will be less pressure on you, if you are working it may be difficult to maintain your employment.  Obviously I can't ask you to disclose your situation, but social and employment aspects of life are important factors in drug withdrawal.

What is your GP saying about your symptoms, that they are due to withdrawal, or some new issue?  Again, you don't have to answer anything, but sometimes a fuller picture is helpful.

Try to look after yourself, I am finding swimming and sauna helping me, but I have gone back to 20mg citalopram because I need to hold my life together.  Joy

I'm not currently working, the depression/depersonilization is too intense and I find it so difficult to take my mind away from it and what happened when I took the citalopram. I do walk with my dog, tidy my house, see family and friends. My husband has an estate agent over now. He wants to sell our house. We have been here only 3 months, his ex used to live here so I can understand why he wants to move. I'm scared of moving. I don't want viewers here all the time and be forced to clean every day when I don't know how I'm going to be. Sometimes just showering is an effort :( I use to love swimming. I will try and make myself go at least once a week.

Taking fish oil

Well, at least you don't have the stress of working, but have other stresses too.  It makes it all the harder, in my opinion, when anything else is expected of you.  Are you feeling any better today?  Your suffering now may be your staff in time, as you will learn a lot about yourself.  Try to be patient with yourself and try positive thinking - that you will feel better and put this behind you.  Take care, and thanks for the update, it is always good to get a fuller picture as we are all more than a drug and a dosage.

Thank you Joy for your support. I feel a bit calmer today so far. Not ruminating every second anyway.

Taking fish oil

No windows for me since my adverse reaction. I have moments, a minute maybe in the day where I feel myself. At night I keep waking up with my heart beating faster than normal and sweating. The fingers on my right hand are trembling and I keep dropping things, and notice black dots in my right eye. I'm off to gp today to get a referral to someone. Trying to stay positive but every day is the same :(

Taking fish oil

Oh and my appointment is with the women who prescribed me the pills in June...I have to go on my own too. Don't know how I'm going to keep it together this afternoon.

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you see this message before your appointment.  You may want to check out these topics before you go:

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal
What to expect from your doctor about withdrawal symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks for this info Scallyway

Taking fish oil

I was thinking today. When I started the citalopram i was taking an antihistamine, I think it was piriteze. I had used this before in the past though when I was on citalopram. Just wondering if these react together? Or am I clutching at straws here.

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Check for interactions between drugs here: Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks. I have just returned from my GP. She has done a referral for me to see David Healy and to see a specialist consultant nearby for my other neurological and hormonal issues.

Taking fish oil

Had my stepson over last night. My husband took us out for dinner. We came back and I was reading one of his favourite books to him. I practically stumbled on every word :( I used to love reading to him and putting on silly voices which made him giggle. I just wish for one hour in the day where I could feel somewhat normal.

Taking fish oil

Need some advice please. This morning I have woken up with horrible neck and head pain on my spine. I don't know what is better (safe to take) paracetrmol or ibuprofen ? Or should I try am alternative ?

Taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the topic discussing painkillers:  painkillers-in-withdrawal-aspirin-ibuprofen-paracetamol-acetaminophen-naproxen-codeine

To search the site use a search engine like google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic.  In this case I typed in paracetamol ibuprofen.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Really bad day. Heart racing fast now, neck and head vibrations. I feel like im going to die :( trying to go on, but sick of this all now. I have no quality of life

Taking fish oil