Linda71239: Venlafaxine, olanzapine and barely existing

Linda71239

I was prescribed citalopram around 2006 for anxiety when sitting exams at school.  I was left on the drug for 6 years until I asked to come off it.  I was given no advice as to how to do this.  First failed attempt at coming off antidepressants.  I won’t go into the detail but I ended up being hospitalised and put on Venlafaxine instead. This is when I began searching for my own answers.

I learned about tapering and in April 2016 I began reducing my Venlafaxine by 15mg each time.  I didn’t stick to a strict schedule, I just reduced each time I felt good and could handle it.  This all went without a hitch until the last drop in January 2018. I was ok for 10 days apart from dizziness and the odd brain zap.  Then I was hit with panic attacks in my sleep and severe anxiety. I went back to my gp who said that as I was anxious and not depressed I was to take 5mg olanzapine at bed time.  I got better then stopped olanzapine then got worse so started it again.  Eventually my mood changed and I got depressed and was put back on 225mg Venlafaxine as well as 2.5mg olanzapine.  This continued for a few weeks then I got back to work and felt good.  

Then I saw a psychiatrist (after an 8 week wait) who said I could stop the olanzapine and I would be fine.  Lies, withdrawal hit me bad.  Severe anxiety.  However I have read a lot and learned a lot and decided that with family support I am trying my best to stick it out.

I have also started taking supplements from neuro genetics and I feel they are helping as my sleep has improved and sometimes I feel I can get through this.  

It’s been a month since I stopped taking olanzapine. I’m still very up and down.  I’m still taking 225mg Venlafaxine.  I’m in the process of changing my doctor to one who has been recommended to me as sympathetic to my situation.

I feel like I am existing not living. I haven’t been at work full time for months. Family members are avoiding me because they don’t understand what’s going on.  My plan is to taper off Venlafaxine once I have stabilised from quitting olanzapine cold turkey. I have read other forums and people say they took a few months to feel better.  Others didn’t take as long. I wish someone could tell me how this will all pan out but I know that’s impossible. I’m looking for any support and advice people can offer me.  

Edited by SkyBlue
added spaces for readability

Venlafaxine 150mg since 2012

Tapered off from apr 2016 to jan 2018

prescribed olanzapine & venlafaxine when withdrawal hit

Cold turkey off 2.5mg olanzapine 14 may 2018 

Venlafaxine taper off 225mg to contend with when I’m ready.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Linda71239 said:

This all went without a hitch until the last drop in January 2018. I was ok for 10 days apart from dizziness and the odd brain zap.  Then I was hit with panic attacks in my sleep and severe anxiety. I went back to my gp who said that as I was anxious and not depressed I was to take 5mg olanzapine at bed time.  I got better then stopped olanzapine then got worse so started it again.  Eventually my mood changed and I got depressed and was put back on 225mg Venlafaxine as well as 2.5mg olanzapine.  

Welcome, Linda.

It definitely sounds like you are going through withdrawal and are having quite a tough time of it. 

It's unbelievable that you were told to cold-turkey. 

However, you are in a good place here at SA. This site has a lot of support and information. 

The good news is that at one month out, you *may* benefit from reinstating a very small dose. Please don't change anything yet, but read this thread (esp. the first page) to get familiar with the concept behind this strategy: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Again, please don't change anything yet. 

However I have read a lot and learned a lot and decided that with family support I am trying my best to stick it out.

I have also started taking supplements from neuro genetics and I feel they are helping as my sleep has improved and sometimes I feel I can get through this.  

Please know that unfortunately, supplements can add to withdrawal symptoms and further destabilize us. 

Everyone is different, but we generally only recommend magnesium and fish oil, and starting with a conservative dose of these. 

Thank you for creating a signature. Could you please add the date that you CT'd (cold-turkeyed), as well as a brief history in list form of drugs/dosages in last 2years? That will help anyone see this info at a glance. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• SkyBlue changed the title to Linda71239: Venlafaxine, olanzapine and barely existing
  • Moderator Emeritus

I don't want to overwhelm you with links, and the info above on reinstatement takes priority,

but here are just two threads that might be of use to you:

Magnesium 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Fish oil/ omega 3s:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

As I am coping day to day with family support I don’t feel the need to,reinstate. I am currently in the process of changing my doctor as my previous one has badly managed my situation.  He refused to admit withdrawal exists. I will see how my new doctor wants to manage things before I make any more changes. 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Linda71239 said:

@daybydaystepbystep how are you doing now? I am 1 month off Zyprexa and am taking the road back supplements.  Sleep isn’t too bad. Morning anxiety and feelings of hopelessness are bad today. Feel like I’m just existing day to day. Can you give me some hope?

Hi Linda,

Please see these topics:  

truehope-the-road-back-labelmesane

no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal

These are the only supplements which SA recommends.  Try a small amount, one at a time to see how you react:

Magnesium
Omega-3 Fish Oil

There are many existing topics on SA.  I use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search string.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
52 minutes ago, Linda71239 said:

As I am coping day to day with family support I don’t feel the need to,reinstate. I am currently in the process of changing my doctor as my previous one has badly managed my situation.  He refused to admit withdrawal exists. I will see how my new doctor wants to manage things before I make any more changes. 

Oh, ok. It sounded like you were feeling pretty badly, which is why I posted the information on reinstating. Hope everything goes well for you.

• 2 months later...

An update: i am olanzapine free and functioning well. Now begins the long slow taper off 225mg Venlafaxine. My new gp informs me that the first step is to change from Effexor Xr to immediate release tablets. 

Any advice or suggestions?

thanks

Don't think I have heard that one, Linda.

Moderator(s) will advise.

Take care with your effexor taper from 225mg.

I was in your position 2 years ago.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Have you any advice for me?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Linda and welcome,

I'll leave you the links around tapering in general, and tapering venlafaxine in case you have not found them yet.  It's a great idea to read up and make a plan before beginning your taper.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage

Tips for tapering off Effexor and EffexorXR

An update: i am olanzapine free and functioning well. Now begins the long slow taper off 225mg Venlafaxine. My new gp informs me that the first step is to change from Effexor Xr to immediate release tablets. 

You may not want to change to immediate release Effexor...........just yet..........  If you do make that choice, and it is a choice, you should be able to negotiate with your prescribing Dr.   Don't go overboard with trying to convince your Dr. of your tapering plan.......it often is just not worth it........just keep a decent relationship going with him/her so that you can get your prescription needs met.

You would also need to treat a different form of venlafaxine, as a dosage change, and hold at the equivalent dose to your 225mg current dose of XR, for at least a month or so BEFORE any further changes.  Just something to keep in mind.  It wouldn't hurt to hold a bit longer before further tapering commences as well.  You are just 2 months off of olanzapine........When did you restart the venlafaxine after your January 2018 taper off attempt?  You could just add that answer to your signature if you'd like.   Try not to rush into a too fast taper in any case.

Please read carefully through both of the above links, especially the first couple of posts prior to seeing your new GP, or beginning to taper.  I'd be surprised if he/she really knows much about managing someone's taper and/or withdrawal.  Often times they just go on the information that the drug manufacturers have given them, which unfortunately can result in a too fast taper and overwhelming withdrawal symptoms.......  I don't expect this Dr to be any more well versed in withdrawal than any of them........try not to get your hopes too high.   Yet, you can feel empowered in managing this next taper and withdrawal with all the education that YOU gain going forward.  You don't need to convince anyone of anything.........sometimes that can be exhausting.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal

What should I expect from my doctor

I'm glad you are taking the time to self educate around tapering and withdrawal now. 

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The waves and windows pattern of withdrawal

Are you still taking RoadBack supplements?

And would you please update your signature to reflect that you are on EffexorXR or venlafaxineXR, as well as add in the citalopram that you started in 2006?  Just put it right at the start of your signature.  I take it that 2006 was the start of your psychiatric medication career?

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, additional thoughts

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing