Davehopeless: 3 weeks Paxil/citalopram withdrawals

Davehopeless

Hello guys, Dave’s here,

i’ll keep it short, last month, i got prescripted with depression and anxiety and were given paxil 20mg to take for 3 weeks. I feel alright until the med ran out and i suffered quite a bit.

later i went to the hospital again and was prescribed with citalopram 20mg for 2 weeks.

After taken Citalopram for 3 days, the side effects were horrible and i got no libido as well as couldnt get up down there whatsoever. I went cold turkey this time, and it has been 10th day that i suffered from insomnia, light headed and loss of sexual desired

i am panicking, will i ever be normal again? I want to start a family and have kids, please help ... will it be permanent ?

Edited by Shep
added username to title

22 Jan 2019 to 13 Jan 2019 - Paroxetine 10mg + Olanzapine 2.5mg

11 March to 15 March 2019 Citalopram 20mg

16 March Luvox 50mg

23 April - 15 May Olanzapine 2.5 mg + valium 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Dave.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Have you only been on psych drugs since last month? 

If so, you may be dealing with an adverse reaction. It can take awhile to heal from this, but you'll feel better in time. Please let us know more about your drug history. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to ask questions and document your recovery. 

Thank you Shep for replied me, I'll add a signature later on, but I'll add some information regarding my situation for your convenience:

I was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder & Depression on 26/1 after some incidents, here what's doctor prescribed me:

- Sumiko (paroxetine 20mg) - 10mg per day at night

- Zapnex 5mg - 2.5 mg per day at night

- Dorocadyl 40 mg - 20mg per day

I finished this one and didn't look back on my situation until I feel something wrong and went to the hospital again on 11/3. This time I was prescribed with :

- Luvox(Fluvoxamine 100mg) - 50mg per day at night

- Zapnex 5mg - 2.5 mg per day at night

- Dorocadyl 40 mg - 20mg per day

I only took it for 2 days and suffered the side effects horribly. I then went to the hospital again on 14/3 and was prescribed with: 

-Citalopram 20mg per day

-Giniko

-Zapnex

I took citalopram for 3-4 days and feel disastrous, and my genital went numb and I could only get a semi-erection as best.

On 19/3 after I went cold turkey on citalopram 20mg, I went to the hospital again and was prescribed with

-Sertraline 50mg 

-Giniko

-Brozemapam 6mg

I only took 25mg sertraline and 1,5mg brozemapam that night. 

I was so scared shitless and went cold turkey on everything until now.

During 10 days from 17 till now, I suffered from a vivid dream, sexual side effect, fatigue, insomnia etc...

It was less intense today but I am still having nausea and quite dizzy at the moment.

I asked the doctors, and they said they want me to stay on the drugs, even want to double my dosage ... I've enough, I want to have a beautiful family with children and this sort of side effects were not what I'm asking for. I even questioned my sexuality as I could not get hard on anything whatsoever. I am straight from the blood and always have good libido on women until now...

Please, help me, will I ever be normal again?

P/s: English is not my first language, so my apologies for those grammar mistakes.

16 March Luvox 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the additional information.  Since you've only been on these drugs for a few weeks at a time, you may be dealing more with an adverse reaction than dependency. 

For more on what to expect with an adverse reaction, please see:

But I only took it for a Week

Immediate adverse reactions to SSRIs? How long for recovery?

As noted in those threads, it can take some time for you to recover from an adverse reaction to psychiatric drugs. 

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Please add a signature. The information needed and the link to your signature is in my first post. Please also add any supplements you are currently taking. 

• 2 months later...

Thank Shep,

Just a bit of an update, after 18 March, I went through a hell of a withdrawal than end up getting me poly drugged as follow:

16 March Luvox 50mg

23 April - 15 May Olanzapine 2.5 mg + valium 5mg + (1 week risperidal 1mg)

Now i am off all meds, but still suffering heavily from sexual dysfunction, chronic fatigue, and my brain just doesnt feel the same anymore. There nothing bring me pleasure as i always think about the sexual dysfunction and think i might got PSSD.

What can i do to get better ? i’m hopeless ...

16 March Luvox 50mg

I could hold an erection if i really want to, it the killed libido that bothering me the most ...

16 March Luvox 50mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Davehopeless: 3 weeks Paxil/citalopram withdrawals
  • Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Davehopeless said:

23 April - 15 May Olanzapine 2.5 mg + valium 5mg + (1 week risperidal 1mg)

You were last on the website at the end of March. Why did you decide to add in these drugs in April?  Were these added to help with sleep? If so, please see:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

With a history of adverse reactions, adding in more drugs is not likely to help. 

Please note that benzodiazepines such as valium can cause dependency in as little as 2 - 4 weeks and it takes about 4 weeks to develop a dependency to other psych drugs. 

By repeatedly going on and off psych drugs, you risk kindling. Please see:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

Kindling

4 hours ago, Davehopeless said:

What can i do to get better ? i’m hopeless ...

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

There's also a thread for PSSD:

PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you are suffering. It takes a while to heal after being on these drugs and withdrawal, so give it time. Please take good care of yourself <3

Dec 2016: Prazosin 2.5mg x2 at noon and night, Nifidipine 30mg x1 morn, Diltiazem 200mg x1 morn. for hypertension.  Cinnerizine 24mg as needed only. Metformin and Sitagliptin for hyperglycaemia. Vitamin C.

My meds: May 4th 2017 Abilify 10mg. May 10th dropped to 2.5 mg due to side effects. Tapered during several months in 2017. Currently drug free. 2019: I am doing well now, even if not updating this thread as much unless needed, sorry. Focusing more on supporting others' threads. Also friendly warning: Please do not read this thread if not up to it as it can be a somewhat triggering/stressful read, thank you. Love, peace and Blessings to you all <3

Thanks Shep,

I was on the verge of suicide hence that why i need to go on additional medicine as my family forced me to.

As I realize how addictive those drugs can be, I did a fast tapper and get off on meds all together.

For Pssd, I was wondering how long will this sexual dysfunction thing has to last to label one as PSSD victim ?

Thanks benzhelp, i certainly appreciate your kindness, and hope that you are well.

16 March Luvox 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/13/2019 at 4:57 AM, Davehopeless said:

For Pssd, I was wondering how long will this sexual dysfunction thing has to last to label one as PSSD victim ?

There are no time restrictions as far as how long you've been suffering from this symptom to say you have it.  If you feel you would benefit from reading and / or posting on the PSSD thread, please feel free. I think it's less about the length of time and more about the degree it's impacting your life. And this varies from person to person. 

On 6/13/2019 at 4:57 AM, Davehopeless said:

I was on the verge of suicide hence that why i need to go on additional medicine as my family forced me to.

Have these feelings resolved now? How is your sleep? 

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hello, Dave, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.