Felisbela: short term, CT citalopram

Felisbela

Short time users on citalopram quitting cold turkey, how long the withdrawals

• 13th of August 2019 started to take 20 mg citalopram
  • 😀24th of August 2019 down to 10mg stopped citalopram altogether on the 30th of August 2019

Short term citalopram

2 minutes ago, Felisbela said:

Taken citalopram last year on the, 13th of August 2019 stopped on the 30th of August 2019, now it's January 2020 still I feel like I'm having withdrawals symptoms.

• 😀24th of August 2019 down to 10mg stopped citalopram altogether on the 30th of August 2019

Short term citalopram

• manymoretodays changed the title to Felisbela: short term, CT citalopram
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Felisbela @Felisbela and welcome aboard,

Thanks for starting an introduction on yourself here.

So 17 days of citalopram last August, and still having WD(withdrawal symptoms) 5 months later!  So sorry F. 

This is not unusual Felisbela, unfortunately!

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

But I only took it for a week

^ might be helpful to look at

What kind of symptoms are you having?

Dr.Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

^ lists many of the WD symptoms that members experience

And are you noticing any Windows and Waves patterns to your healing and recovery?

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Start low with only one new addition at a time, and go slow.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Welcome again,
L, P, H, and G,
mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Yes fish omega 3 is good and magnesium. I don't want to go on another medication(antidepressant) I'm too scared, people advice me to try sertraline, but I think they could make me worse

Edited by manymoretodays
was trying to remove the large quote, removed!

Short term citalopram

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, Felisbela said:

I don't want to go on another medication(antidepressant) I'm too scared, people advice me to try sertraline, but I think they could make me worse

Hi,

We are a site for tapering off psychiatric drugs and helping members cope with withdrawal from them. I think that you will recover fully F.

Are you on any other medications at this time?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

12 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi,

We are a site for tapering off psychiatric drugs and helping members cope with withdrawal from them. I think that you will recover fully F.

No, I'm too scared to go on another medication

Short term citalopram

Just now, Felisbela said:

No, I'm too scared to go on another medication

Had a bad experience with citalopram five months ago still having withdrawals symptoms, people say that's all in my head, the Doctors don't believe me they say is the depression coming back, but I know what I'm feeling, I never ever felt like this before, I only took them for seventeen days from 13th of August till the 30th of August 2019

Short term citalopram

• Moderator Emeritus

What kind of symptoms are you experiencing F?

We can help you with support and coping tools.  And it's awful when they don't believe us, isn't it?  I think it's WD syndrome Felisbela.  And how unfortunate again for you, as you had such a short term time with the citalopram.

More links for you that might help:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain remodeling

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS, how long does it last?

Many, many good topics in our Symptoms and Self Care forum too, to help you cope.

It's not all in your head Felisbela.  You are among friends here, and fellow sufferers with WD and WD syndrome.

And it does get better, you'll see.  Sometimes it helps to understand what is happening.......hence, all the links and information.

((((((Felisbela))))))

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

12 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

What kind of symptoms are you experiencing F?

We can help you with support and coping tools.  And it's awful when they don't believe us, isn't it?  I think it's WD syndrome Felisbela.  And how unfortunate again for you, as you had such a short term time with the citalopram.

More links for you that might help:

Brain remodeling

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS, how long does it last?

Many, many good topics in our Symptoms and Self Care forum too, to help you cope.

It's not all in your head Felisbela.  You are among friends here, and fellow sufferers with WD and WD syndrome.

And it does get better, you'll see.  Sometimes it helps to understand what is happening.......hence, all the links and information.

((((((Felisbela))))))

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you very much for your support, the symptoms I keep having is repetitive intrusive thoughts, I feel like someone is squeezing my head, sweatness at night when I'm asleep, no motivation, wanting to die sometimes, buzzing in my head and just feel down.

Short term citalopram

4 hours ago, Felisbela said:

Thank you very much for your support, the symptoms I keep having is repetitive intrusive thoughts, I feel like someone is squeezing my head, sweatness at night when I'm asleep, no motivation, wanting to die sometimes, buzzing in my head and just feel down. Plus loss of appetite

Short term citalopram

7 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Felisbela @Felisbela and welcome aboard,

Thanks for starting an introduction on yourself here.

So 17 days of citalopram last August, and still having WD(withdrawal symptoms) 5 months later!  So sorry F. 

This is not unusual Felisbela, unfortunately!

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

But I only took it for a week

^ might be helpful to look at

What kind of symptoms are you having?

Dr.Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list.

^ lists many of the WD symptoms that members experience

And are you noticing any Windows and Waves patterns to your healing and recovery?

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Start low with only one new addition at a time, and go slow.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Welcome again,
L, P, H, and G,
mmt

Thank you

I'm glad I'm not going crazy

Short term citalopram

4 hours ago, Felisbela said:

Thank you very much for your support, the symptoms I keep having is repetitive intrusive thoughts, I feel like someone is squeezing my head, sweatness at night when I'm asleep, no motivation, wanting to die sometimes, buzzing in my head and just feel down.

Now I know I'm not going crazy

Short term citalopram

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Felisbela said:

Brain zaps

Apathy, anhedonia, ........

* Dealing with Emotional Spirals

Withdrawal causing intrusive thoughts

indexed list in the first post ^, with other topics too

Hi Felisbela,

Looks good......as you are finding your way around the site and exploring now!  I added a few more links that you'll find helpful more specific to your current symptoms.  I often just do searches from my main browser, like so..........survivingantidepressants.org and then add the topic of interest ..........that will help you find just about whatever you want here.

And then, as you get comfy, head on out, and visit and support other members on their  introduction threads too.  You'll find a lot of support that way as well.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Brain zaps

Hi Felisbela,

Looks good......as you are finding your way around the site and exploring now!  I added a few more links that you'll find helpful more specific to your current symptoms.  I often just do searches from my main browser, like so..........survivingantidepressants.org and then add the topic of interest ..........that will help you find just about whatever you want here.

And then, as you get comfy, head on out, and visit and support other members on their  introduction threads too.  You'll find a lot of support that way as well.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you very much I appreciate your support

Thank you very much I appreciate your support xxx

Short term citalopram

On 1/23/2020 at 6:23 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi,

Thank you

Short term citalopram

2 hours ago, Felisbela said:

Thank you

No I'm not in any medication, I'm taking fish oils omega 3 1000mg and magnesium 250mg

Short term citalopram

On 1/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, manymoretodays said:

Brain zaps

Hi Felisbela,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

The symptoms are still the same hope they will go away, I just want to be my old self happy 

Short term citalopram

• Moderator Emeritus

You will be Felisbela, your old self.  Are you keeping some kind of calendar, so that you don't miss the progress, when it appears.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hopefully those will help your understanding.  And you are not alone, not here.  We "get it".

Best,  (((((Felisbela)))))

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

2 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

You will be Felisbela, your old self.  Are you keeping some kind of calendar, so that you don't miss the progress, when it appears.

Hopefully those will help your understanding.  And you are not alone, not here.  We "get it".

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

No I'm just too stressed out to do a calendar, especially when no one believes me

But thank you for your support i really appreciate it

Short term citalopram

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 2:24 PM, manymoretodays said:

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you all for your support

Short term citalopram

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SolarPlexus said:

@Felisbela Same here. My latest WD symptom is waking up at 4-4.30 a.m. daily (cortisol spikes I guess) with a wave of depressive thoughts. They linger around for several hours till I get on with my day. I have other symptoms too ongoing. May we all heal. May we all heal. I pray daily for this. 

I only been on citalopram, last year on the 13th of August till 30th of August, now it's March still have withdrawals symptoms, I only been on them for 17 days last year.

Short term citalopram

@Felisbela everyone's reactions are different. Some stay on them for years and withdraw fast, others not. It also depends on how fast you tapered off them. By the way for relief watch the videos of Baylissa Frederick or schedule a Skype call with her. I did and she is a saint. She's been through the process with benzos until she fully recovered and now she offers counseling to people in withdrawal. I ordered her book "Recovery and Renewal" and am waiting for it to arrive. I also listen to the videos of The Lovely Grind. The creator of this website also recovered from both an antidepressant and a benzo. The videos on Recovery Road too are reassuring. These resources are all helping me. I hope they help you too 🙏 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

4 minutes ago, SolarPlexus said:

@Felisbela everyone's reactions are different. Some stay on them for years and withdraw fast, others not. It also depends on how fast you tapered off them. By the way for relief watch the videos of Baylissa Frederick or schedule a Skype call with her. I did and she is a saint. She's been through the process with benzos until she fully recovered and now she offers counseling to people in withdrawal. I ordered her book "Recovery and Renewal" and am waiting for it to arrive. I also listen to the videos of The Lovely Grind. The creator of this website also recovered from both an antidepressant and a benzo. The videos on Recovery Road too are reassuring. These resources are all helping me. I hope they help you too 🙏 

No one believes me it's widrawl, I seen a psychiatrist she thinks I not well in the head, I explained to her about citalopram she doesn't believe me

Short term citalopram

No one believes me it's widrawl, I seen a psychiatrist she thinks I not well in the head, I explained to her about citalopram she doesn't believe me

Thank you for your suggestions

Short term citalopram

13 minutes ago, Felisbela said:

Don't let that bother you. We all face that issue because there is a lack of awareness on the negative impacts of those medications. If you listen to words of the people I mentioned you will realize that no one believed them either but they all went on to heal. You should be proud of yourself for following your logic and your gut and realizing that this is withdrawal. Wait I'll get you the link to some videos that will help you feel better about this. 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

7 minutes ago, SolarPlexus said:

Don't let that bother you. We all face that issue because there is a lack of awareness on the negative impacts of those medications. If you listen to words of the people I mentioned you will realize that no one believed them either but they all went on to heal. You should be proud of yourself for following your logic and your gut and realizing that this is withdrawal. Wait I'll get you the link to some videos that will help you feel better about this. 

Thank you so much you are very understanding,

Short term citalopram

20 minutes ago, Felisbela said:

I believe you. I have seen what these medicines can do. Here in Finland many doctors also don't believe withdrawal symptoms. I have heard many cases. Good doctors that understand this are very rare. I know it can be very annoying when somebody don't believe you but don't care. Don't care what doctors or other people thinks. 

Everything started 2015 and here's shortly how it went: Bad diet change --> health problems  -->  problems caused by medicines --> 5-6 months benzos --> about half year Mirtazapine for supporting sleep in benzo tapering (because I first tried to do it too fast) --> Mirtazapine caused more problems  --> 3 years Escitalopram (including tapering) --> 1 year tapering from 15 mg to 5,73 mg and then cold turkey from that dose in september 2019.

@Felisbela my pleasure. I wish you recover. Here are 4 videos that help me and that I watch frequently. I downloaded them on my ipod and listen to them when I need reassurance:

Withdrawal Dialogues - Acceptance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxY4MrQoTjE

Withdrawal Dialogues - Family & Carers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Pzbl1jZGQ

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 1 - typical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZuvo_au1M

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 2 - a keeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2vmb8XbHw

1 minute ago, Ismo said:

I believe you. I have seen what these medicines can do. Here in Finland many doctors also don't believe withdrawal symptoms. I have heard many cases. Good doctors that understand this are very rare. I know it can be very annoying when somebody don't believe you but don't care. Don't care what doctors or other people thinks. 

I'm not going to believe Doctors anymore, unless there's one that understand

Short term citalopram

1 minute ago, Ismo said:

@Felisbela @Ismo there are holistic psychiatrists in the US who have spoken up against these medications and the companies that promote them as safe including Dr. Kelly Brogan. There is literature out there about these poisons but more awareness needs to be raised. Dr. Brogan has written two books about healing issues such as depression, anxiety, etc through natural means. 

19 minutes ago, SolarPlexus said:

@Felisbela my pleasure. I wish you recover. Here are 4 videos that help me and that I watch frequently. I downloaded them on my ipod and listen to them when I need reassurance:

Withdrawal Dialogues - Acceptance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxY4MrQoTjE

Withdrawal Dialogues - Family & Carers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Pzbl1jZGQ

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 1 - typical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZuvo_au1M

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 2 - a keeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2vmb8XbHw

Thank you for your videos they are really good 👍

Short term citalopram

You're most welcome. 

1 minute ago, SolarPlexus said:

You're most welcome. 

I'm glad you understand,

Short term citalopram

Of course. I'm going through it too. I'm here for you if you need support. 

13 minutes ago, SolarPlexus said:

Of course. I'm going through it too. I'm here for you if you need support. 

Thank you I have really intrusive thoughts, they are like thoughts of the devil I keep asking God for help, but the thoughts keep coming back

Thank you I have really intrusive thoughts, they are like thoughts of the devil I keep asking God for help, but the thoughts keep coming back

Thank you for your support I'm be grateful

Short term citalopram

That's a normal WD symptom. Intrusive thoughts, violent thoughts, suicidal thoughts, dark thoughts. All can happen in withdrawal. Your brain is playing tricks on you because your nervous system is not functioning properly now. It needs to heal. Your body is being flooded with stress hormones that trigger depression, anxiety, etc. Keep reminding yourself that this is temporary and keep praying. Meditation helps too. Be patient and don't believe those thoughts. You will heal eventually. Give yourself time.