TDstruggle: Looking for Hope

TDstruggle

Hi! I'm hoping there is someone out there that has successfully gotten off of an anti-depressant who has experienced similar difficulties.

Here is my story:

April 2021 my PC told me I should get off Venlafaxine (Effexor). I was on 37.5 mg controlled release for approximately 14 years. I was originally put on a larger dose because they believed I had postpartum depression. In retrospect, I was on a drug called Ultracet that was supposed to be non-habit forming when I had two massive disc herniations. I stopped taking it and that's when I started having issues with anxiety. The PC said since I was on a baby dose it shouldn't be a big deal.

I followed her directions and went down to 25mg tablets for a week, then cut that in half for two weeks, then stopped. I was anxious but told myself I could deal with it. Four weeks from the last pill I was struggling, but managing telling myself it wouldn't be much longer. During my second month, my dermatologist put me on two antihistamines a day to combat an allergic reaction. I was still struggling but managing. Then I stopped taking the antihistamine and everything changed. I was on the floor of my closet begging God to take me. I had never experienced an episode like that in my life.

I sent my PC a more firm email and she prescribed 5 mg prozac. I started that, but she upped it over the next week to 15mg. I couldn't even walk. I'm hypersensitive to medications. I managed to find an online resource for psychiatric help to tapper off medications. I've been working with a certified psychiatric nurse online since July. I did okay moving to the 1 ml liquid form under her guidance which is equal to 4mg prozac.

A few weeks later, on August 8th, I reduced to .7ml and for a week I was euphoric. On top of the world. Then I started to get worse around August 21st -28th. On the 29th I spiraled down with symptoms ranging from  headache, upset stomach, nausea, anxiety, depression, frustration, upset, worried never going to be okay. September 4th. The rolling anxiety began to get a little better as did the nausea, but with an increase in feelings of hopelessness and depression.

September 12th we tried reducing by .1ml. For the first week there was an increase in depression and it  was hard to get off the couch. September 20-21st had better days. I even rode in the car to Florida. From that point on, there were  rolling days of bad and good through September.  I believe around the 17th things improved but I still had ups and downs.

October 18th we reduced .2ml and for a few days I felt euphoric. Things worsened the next week, but not as bad as previous dose reductions until around November 8th. I was back in my closet crying, praying for God to take me, even had suicidal thoughts. I literally believed that if I died things would be better. I managed to make it through that and to move forward, but since then the anxiety, racing thoughts, upset stomach, queasiness, depression, feeling like things will never get better are all consuming. 

I had a call with my nurse this morning per her request after I sent an email. She stated that her supervisor suggested I should try to take Zyprexa to help with finishing to tapper off Prozac. She said it doesn't have the side effects that the anti-depressants do and that I can get off that easily without tappering. When I researched the drug, it stated not to stop it cold and that there are so many side effects. Her other option was to stop the prozac completely and go to the hospital when symptoms became unbearable. 

She stated that she nor her supervisor has ever heard of anyone going through such severe symptoms for so long. Hearing this made me more upset. As I type this I am shaking. Is there hope if I'm the only one who has reacted this way for this long? My husband believes I have a problem with Prozac the way I do with opioids and that it isn't withdrawal but a reaction I'm suffering from. I'm scared to stop, I'm scared to return to Venlaflaxine, I'm scared. 

i would love to know if anyone has ever had these kinds of issues for this long. If so, did it get better? Any advice?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, information, or anything else you might be able to provide. I'd like to know if I'm alone in this. 

2006-2020 Venlafaxine 37.5 mg CR (Was on 75 mg early on but no trouble going to 37.5 mg)

April 2021 - tapered a few weeks and then stopped

June 2021 - 5 mg upped to 15 mg prozac to help with horrible withdrawal

July 2021 - lowered to 5 mg prozac (couldn't tolerate more)

August 2021 - October tapered down to  2mg  2X daily (Going through hell)

12/02/2021 - Returned to Venlafaxine 6.25 mg 2X daily (Am and PM)

• ChessieCat changed the title to TDstruggle: Looking for Hope
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there TDstruggle and welcome aboard,

Thank you for sharing your story. 

It does sound like you have off and on had quite the struggle, since coming off your Venlafaxine.  That 37.5 mg dose you mentioned, was a big deal, and unfortunate that you were advised to come off so quickly.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

We use a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs. The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, TDstruggle said:

I'm hypersensitive to medications.

And yes, I think that you are very sensitive to medications at this point.  That happens with a lot of us.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, TDstruggle said:

I had a call with my nurse this morning per her request after I sent an email. She stated that her supervisor suggested I should try to take Zyprexa to help with finishing to tapper off Prozac. She said it doesn't have the side effects that the anti-depressants do and that I can get off that easily without tappering. When I researched the drug, it stated not to stop it cold and that there are so many side effects. Her other option was to stop the prozac completely and go to the hospital when symptoms became unbearable. 

She stated that she nor her supervisor has ever heard of anyone going through such severe symptoms for so long. Hearing this made me more upset.

And I am so sorry that this happened ^.  I would feel very upset as well.  It does sound like you may have experienced at least some Windows since coming off the Venlafaxine......I am hoping so.

We do often see a Windows and Waves pattern of Stabilization from WD.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here is more about WD(withdrawal) and then the protracted nature of it that occurs for so many of us.  I'm not sure the literature really has captured the numbers that do suffer post WD, like you are.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Hengartner, 2020: Protracted withdrawal syndrome after stopping antidepressants

Protracted Withdrawal is a Real Syndrome

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS(post acute withdrawal syndrome),How long does it last?

I am glad that you have felt hesitant about starting a drug such as Zyprexa, and that you did attempt to look it up.  That is absolutely incorrect that you would not develop a dependency of types on it.  We have seen physiological dependency develop in just 2 weeks to one month from any psychoactive medication.  Likely, closer to a month with Zyprexa.  And yes, cautious, careful tapering would be advised.

Drugs.com is an excellent site for looking up a medication, prior to starting it.  As well as to check interactions with your drugs, if being prescribed more than one.  So many side effects or adversities to Zyprexa too.  You can see for yourself, when you plug it into the top box at Drugs.com.

I'm glad you are here.  And yes, there is hope.  Welcome again.

I need you to do a Signature now, please and thank you.

* How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

And then if you would look at the sample signature, and then follow the instructions to create your own, that will help us out a lot.

This is different than the information you gave at registration, and when done will appear below all your postings.

Best, and Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Greatjob TDstruggle @TDstruggle on getting to your signature.  Instead of .4 mL for your Prozac dose, would you report it in milligrams or mg, which is the actual dose strength.  And yes, many of us have had long lasting WD symptoms and similar to yours.  How are you doing today?  L, P, H, and G.  mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
Spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you, Manymoretoday. We've gone up slightly on the prozac to 2mg (.5ml) instead of 1.6 mg. We are hoping this helps. If not, I think I'm done with this nightmare. I don't understand what is going on and the doctors tell me I need to go back on Venlafaxine full dose to stabilize. We don't know if my symptoms could be because my  body doesn't tolerate Prozac or if it is withdrawal. Now I'm even afraid to try to switch back to Venlafaxine unsure of how my body will react. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to know. I'm hoping to make a decision soon. After 9 months, I'm exhausted and want my life back. BTW - I had zero side  effects to Effexor that we are aware of and I was happy. The reason I got off was because my PC said, "Hey, you've been on this a long time, but a baby dose. You shouldn't have any issue getting off of it." 

2006-2020 Venlafaxine 37.5 mg CR (Was on 75 mg early on but no trouble going to 37.5 mg)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there TDstruggle,

Well, in regards to your first post......you are definitely not alone in this, what you have been going through.

5 hours ago, TDstruggle said:

We don't know if my symptoms could be because my  body doesn't tolerate Prozac or if it is withdrawal.

I'm just a lay person really, who has been through my own wringer of sorts with these drugs being overprescribed to me, without full disclosures, and then going through many, many drug switches, not to mention the diagnoses.....or "diagnonsense" while all the while getting worse, never fully better or well.  And then it hit me......first I read a book, Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic, or in tandem with that met some others locally, went to a training, and learned to listen to my intuition.  Then I found stuff online, and even some folks in real life who, like me, had the common sense to realize I needed something outside of and different from the typical medical model if I/we were ever going to heal, or achieve wellness.

Eventually I landed here.  And stuck around.  Tapered my final drugs.  I did experience WD, for sure, and now, finally........while still healing, am on the right road.

So, that being said.  Well if the worst of your symptoms began shortly after that Venlafaxine WD, or fast taper.........which it does appear to be......my best guess is WD.

If I were you, now, I would hold tight on the 2 mg of Prozac.  For now, just a bit longer.  When exactly did you get to that dose, if you recall?

And then let me, if you don't mind, see what the rest of the staff thinks, or I will confer.

The only know remedy that medically is there, for WD, is a reinstatement.  And what we have found and seen, is that usually, if done early on, with the last medication used, in just a small dose, a fraction of the last dose.........that can help a lot.  Now, you are longer off the venlafaxine.......so it gets a bit murkier, as far as if a little bit of that will help.

Anyway, here is our topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

And what kind of symptoms are you having now?

This will help you identify them-

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptom Checklist

and trust me, they run the gamut, the symptoms

And then a little bit more on WD 101:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

The rule is to just add one new change, or thing at a time though, and always start low, go slow, make observations along the way too.

There are also many non-drug modalities to use to cope as well.  You'll see. 

Symptoms and Self Care

^ this is a whole forum here devoted to self care, and coping tips and practices

You'll also see it from the Home Page when you scroll down

For right now, can you note when you take your Prozac, with the dose.  Just do a post with the date, then time on the left, and include on the right, after the times, any drugs taken, name and dose, or supplements, name and dose, and symptoms when they arise.  We want to see especially what is happening before and after you take you Prozac.  So give that a try.

And stand by.  I'm guessing we'll have more questions, and/or suggests for you soon.

Okay, glad you came back.  You are among friends here.  None of us really wanted to join this club, but it's a good one.

And best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
bolding

• Administrator

Hello, @TDstruggle How do you feel on 2mg Prozac? What times o'clock do you take Prozac and any other drugs, with their dosages? What are your symptoms now? Are they better or worse at any particular times of day?

Do you feel better or worse than you did when you went off venlafaxine in April?

On 11/29/2021 at 11:08 AM, TDstruggle said:

She stated that her supervisor suggested I should try to take Zyprexa to help with finishing to tapper off Prozac. She said it doesn't have the side effects that the anti-depressants do and that I can get off that easily without tappering.

This is wrong. Suggest you stop paying these people and donate to International Institute for Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal https://iipdw.org/please-support-us/ in the name of SurvivingAntidepressants instead. They are trying to organize an international conference.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you, Manymoretoday and Altostrata,

I wanted to take a moment to say how much I appreciate your comments, sharing of references, and suggestions. I knew when the Psych nurse recommended another drug it wasn't right for me. I have too many drug issues. If I take one pain killer (opioid), I'll suffer severe anxiety, crawling skin, etc for three weeks. I avoid ANY kind of mind altering substances. I don't even drink.

Also, I'm on no other medications at this time. oh wait, I have tried 5 mg Hydroxyzine (Antihistamine) on occasion when I need a break from anxiety, but not sure it helps.

I also take 690 mg Omega-3 Nordic Naturals 1X daily.

It has been a long almost 8 months, and my husband and I no longer trust the PC and/or Telehealth psych nurse we were working with. My husband and I had a long conversation over the last few days and have made a decision of our own. I haven't improved, excluding a short time period where I could at least get off the couch in August. We've given this eight months and I have recently deteriorated to where I was at in the beginning of all this nightmare.

Therefore, we've decided to stop Prozac last night and start a 1/2 25 mg Venlafaxine pill tonight. I'm nervous and scared, but I don't know what else to try at this point. I've missed so many things with my kids and this is my son's last year at home. Our final family trip is two weeks away. I needed to try something. I've also been out of work for 8 months. I'm an author who can't write. :( My muse has abandoned me and wants nothing to do with my crazy right now. ;)

On October 18th we moved from .6 ml = 2.4 mg to .4=1.6 mg of Prozac. During those six weeks:

5:00AM wake up to rolling anxiety and racing thoughts

6:00AM nausea adds to the mix

8:00AM take .4 ml liquid = 1.6 mg of Prozac

Later in the morning, tongue tingles, light headed, nausea, upset stomach, my skin stings with anxiety, shortness of breath at times.

For six weeks after the last reduction, I went from a week of high anxiety to low depression with suicidal thoughts and sense of hopelessness.

During the days I've had rolling fits with anxiety/depression/fatigue/hot flashes.  Feeling like life is hopeless

In the evenings I feel my best. I feel like I can eat around 7:00PM or so. Over the seven weeks, I would have ups and downs but the last few weeks there was no relief at all. Every waking moment was torture. I'm too scared to leave the couch. Going to the grocery store is a nightmare. Did I mention that prior to this, my entire life I've been an adrenaline junky. I love; mountain climbing, sky diving, backpacking, etc... Not even my herniated discs have stopped me from doing the Savage Race. Now, I have to promise myself I'm going from bed to couch to get up in the morning. 

Last Monday we changed to: 

8:00 AM AND 8:00PM .2 ML liquid = .8 mg prozac  totaling 1.6 mg for the day. (The reason we split the dose a week ago was because we'd hoped it would cut down on the 5:00AM rolling anxiety but it didn't. 

On Thursday, we attempted to up the dosage:

8:00 AM .3 ML = 1.2 MG 

8:00PM .2 ML = .8 MG

Unfortunately, I started having issues with weakness in my legs, increased mood issues, etc. That's why we decided we are finally done with Prozac.

I never had any side effects on Venlafaxine except for dry mouth and eyes. My husband has believed from the moment we started Prozac in June that I've had issues with the drug. The PC told me not to go back to Venlafaxine and to continue on Prozac that it would pass in a few weeks. She added that if I ever hoped to get off the drug I shouldn't go back on it. Fast forward to a few days ago when she stated that I should return to Venlafaxine and take it for life because I had no side effects from the drug so there is no reason I should have to get off of it. Wait, what? I was told to get off the Venlafaxine because my cholesterol had increased. LOL 

Thanks again for all your support. I'm usually the one holding everyone else up, so I don't like being the one who needs help. 

Edited by manymoretodays
No edit, was sharing- pressed wrong button(mmt)

Just wanted to offer support and prayers that the switch back to ur old drug works for you. It’s diabolical what these drugs do to people…. It’s like playing Russian roulette with our brains…. 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TDstruggle,

Did you always take venlafaxine at night?

I think for most it tends to be more accelerating, or stimulating.

Why 12.5 mg?

There is one thing "they" may have been okay about, and this is that......it does take at least a few days, we generally go with 4 days to a week, after a drug dose change, for the new plasma concentration to reach a steady state.  I think sometimes with Prozac, as it does have a longer half life it might be closer to a week(possibly more) for the dose change to settle.

3 hours ago, TDstruggle said:

8:00 AM AND 8:00PM .2 ML liquid = .8 mg prozac  totaling 1.6 mg for the day. (The reason we split the dose a week ago was because we'd hoped it would cut down on the 5:00AM rolling anxiety but it didn't. 

Unfortunately, I started having issues with weakness in my legs, increased mood issues, etc. That's why we decided we are finally done with Prozac.

So today, being Sunday, you're just at 4 days since you went up in dose.

Wondering if, you might consider just going back to the 1.6 mg total dose for the day.

And also waiting to see what Altostrata thinks now too.  I always defer to them, they have been at this a long time, with much valued experience. 

I'd tend toward, if staying with the venlafaxine, or trying a reinstate of that.......to go with less than 12.5 mg too. 

We go with caution, and harm reduction here.  And that way with just a 0.5 mg or 1 mg dose, you can test the waters, see how you do.......prior to any further updoses.  So many do become hypersensitive to drugs that they once tolerated.

Here's our topic on tapering venlafaxine, you'll see how to get the small doses that you need to reinstate venlafaxine there:

Tips for tapering off Effexor and Effexor XR(venlafaxine)

So mainly, from me, right now, if anything.......just lower the Prozac dose again to where it was at before Thursday.  Wait for Alto to come around again and study your last post and information too.

Good on Notes too TDstruggle.  I just gave you some bare bones to that before.  Here's the link to more on How to Do, and then post them:

Keeping Notes about daily symptom pattern and drug dosing

And thank you so much for getting back with more information.  You are pretty sharp at this point, despite all your other symptoms, and so something to be thankful for I suppose, given the rest.....

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I know it has been a heck of a 8 months now for you......try, try not to be hasty now however.

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable. The Rule of 3KI's

And best.

Edited by manymoretodays
3 KI's

Hi  Manymoretoday,

I always took 37.5 CR at night before bed and slept like a baby. :) 

Are you thinking my decision to do this was a bad one? Should  I have tried to stick with the 2mg (1.2 morning and .6 night) three more days? 

I had been on 1.6 for seven weeks,  so I figured that was long enough to give that dose a good try. It didn't go well. It was the first time I faced the suicidal thoughts since this journey began. It was awful. :(

Thank you for all your input!

TDStruggle

Sorry, I missed your second question, Manymoretoday.

We thought 12mg because the way we understood the dosage based on internet research was that Venlafaxine was about 5X that of Prozac. Meaning. 2 mg of Prozac would equal 10 mg of Venlafaxine. Cutting the pill in half was the closest we could get to that. Am I mistaken? Now I'm starting to worry that I missed my morning dose of Prozac and I've made a mistake that is going to make things even worse. :(

• Administrator

How do you feel on 12.5mg venlafaxine, @TDstruggle? Was it an immediate-release tablet or an extended-release tablet that you cut in half?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but they are different birds too, Prozac and venlafaxine.  Ones a SSRI and the other, the venlafaxine is a SSNRI.

I was not thinking at all about dose equivalence either, just about basic reinstatement principles.

Look at the reinstatement topic again too, if you will.

Maybe......or best I think........ rather than going to venlafaxine tonight, if it was me, I might go with my usual Prozac dose.  That 0.8 mg or .2 mL in volume.

And then we wait too, to get Alto's input.

I just think that may be well worth it, and avoid the possibility making things worse.  Do you follow?

And there is Altostrata ^. 

And I'm editing in here, TD.

Did you take your first dose of venlafaxine tonight?

If so, do not worry, okay?  That was not my intent to cause worry.

Edited by manymoretodays
additional, and will let Alto evaluate now

• Moderator Emeritus

Just going to add, TDstruggle,

Don't worry, okay.  I'm like overly cautious.....I just am.

If you have made the change already, just let us know how it went, is going, etc.  Notes.  And we can go from there.

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How do you feel on 12.5mg venlafaxine, @TDstruggle? Was it an immediate-release tablet or an extended-release tablet that you cut in half?

I am assuming immediate release, from what I found it is manufactured as.

And I did see your reply that it does NOT, or has not caused sleeplessness in the past for you, the venlafaxine.  So this is good too.

Best.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, TDstruggle said:

Hi! I'm hoping there is someone out there that has successfully gotten off of an anti-depressant who has experienced similar difficulties.

Here is my story:

April 2021 my PC told me I should get off Venlafaxine (Effexor). I was on 37.5 mg controlled release for approximately 14 years. I was originally put on a larger dose because they believed I had postpartum depression. In retrospect, I was on a drug called Ultracet that was supposed to be non-habit forming when I had two massive disc herniations. I stopped taking it and that's when I started having issues with anxiety. The PC said since I was on a baby dose it shouldn't be a big deal.

I followed her directions and went down to 25mg tablets for a week, then cut that in half for two weeks, then stopped. I was anxious but told myself I could deal with it. Four weeks from the last pill I was struggling, but managing telling myself it wouldn't be much longer. During my second month, my dermatologist put me on two antihistamines a day to combat an allergic reaction. I was still struggling but managing. Then I stopped taking the antihistamine and everything changed. I was on the floor of my closet begging God to take me. I had never experienced an episode like that in my life.

I sent my PC a more firm email and she prescribed 5 mg prozac. I started that, but she upped it over the next week to 15mg. I couldn't even walk. I'm hypersensitive to medications. I managed to find an online resource for psychiatric help to tapper off medications. I've been working with a certified psychiatric nurse online since July. I did okay moving to the 1 ml liquid form under her guidance which is equal to 4mg prozac.

A few weeks later, on August 8th, I reduced to .7ml and for a week I was euphoric. On top of the world. Then I started to get worse around August 21st -28th. On the 29th I spiraled down with symptoms ranging from  headache, upset stomach, nausea, anxiety, depression, frustration, upset, worried never going to be okay. September 4th. The rolling anxiety began to get a little better as did the nausea, but with an increase in feelings of hopelessness and depression.

September 12th we tried reducing by .1ml. For the first week there was an increase in depression and it  was hard to get off the couch. September 20-21st had better days. I even rode in the car to Florida. From that point on, there were  rolling days of bad and good through September.  I believe around the 17th things improved but I still had ups and downs.

October 18th we reduced .2ml and for a few days I felt euphoric. Things worsened the next week, but not as bad as previous dose reductions until around November 8th. I was back in my closet crying, praying for God to take me, even had suicidal thoughts. I literally believed that if I died things would be better. I managed to make it through that and to move forward, but since then the anxiety, racing thoughts, upset stomach, queasiness, depression, feeling like things will never get better are all consuming. 

She stated that she nor her supervisor has ever heard of anyone going through such severe symptoms for so long. Hearing this made me more upset. As I type this I am shaking. Is there hope if I'm the only one who has reacted this way for this long? My husband believes I have a problem with Prozac the way I do with opioids and that it isn't withdrawal but a reaction I'm suffering from. I'm scared to stop, I'm scared to return to Venlaflaxine, I'm scared. 

i would love to know if anyone has ever had these kinds of issues for this long. If so, did it get better? Any advice?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, information, or anything else you might be able to provide. I'd like to know if I'm alone in this. 

You are not alone in this. Those nurses/doctors who are prescribing you an endless switch from one AD to another are criminal, in my opinion. I am taking St John's Worts and Ashwaghanda to help me. At night i also take Valerian (in essential oil form). Even with those natural supplements (that i believe are really helping), it is still tough. 

December 2009: First panic attack. Prescribed Xanax for panic episodes.

2010-2013: panic free.

May 2013: Panic/anxiety resurfaces.

Spring 2014: Started Paxil CR gradually from 12.5 to 25 to 37.5 mg.

Late spring 2017: Started tapering off Paxil CR.

Early fall 2017: stopped Paxil CR.

January 2018: Resumed Paxil CR.

September 2020: Switched to Paxil 30 mg.

October 22nd 2021: Last pill of Paxil 30 mg (after 10 short days of tapering).

October 22nd-29th 2021: Tough week. Main symptoms: lightheadedness, dizziness, brain zaps.

December 22nd 2021: Still experiencing windows and waves. No overall improvement yet.

December 24th 2021: Reinstated on Paxil 10 mg

• Mentor

Please note that if you are taking immediate release of Ven, half your dose needs to be taken twice a day due to it’s shorter half-life. It should only be prescribed to be taken twice a day (A.M., P.M.). Many doctors and pharmacists make the mistake of not prescribing it correctly. By taking it only once a day, you would be putting your body into withdrawals for half of every day.

If you are taking extended release tablets, they can be taken once a day. BUT, if you cut or crush them, you alter the time-release aspect of them. This means you need to treat them as immediate release, taking half your dose twice a day.

I know others will clarify this for you, but wanted to make sure you were aware of this before you started taking it again.

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

I think I made a mistake but it is too late now.

I stopped the Prozac. Last dose Saturday night at 8:00PM and started 12.5 mg Sunday night of Venlafaxine at 10PM

Saturday afternoon Anxiety started. By 8:00 PM, I was having rolling anxiety pretty significant. Then I  started freaking out about the switch and the anxiety increased.

Took Venlafaxine but knew I wouldn't sleep due to anxiety so took the antihistamine. I've been up all night with rolling anxiety, sleeping in between until antihistamine wore off and I've been up with 'jump out of my skin' anxiety and sweating since 3:00AM. 

Doctors said I needed to return to 37.5 mg CR if I wanted to recover. We had hoped I could do less so I didn't lose my entire 8 months of being off of it. 

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I know it will take awhile to adjust, but this is horrible. :( This is how I felt at the beginning when was first put on Prozac after discontinuing Effexor. 

I'm scared if I go up on Effexor it will get even worse. Thoughts?

Thank you again for all your support. I just want to feel  better again. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please provide a timeline for the last week of your drugs and doses in a nice simple list which will be easier for us to understand what you have done.

Use 1 line for each day.  State the date, the time you took the drug and the drug name and the dose you took.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat,

Monday: .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac) 8:00 AM and .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac 8:00PM) 

Tuesday: .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac) 8:00 AM and .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac 8:00PM) 

Wednesday: .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac) 8:00 AM and .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac 8:00PM) 

Thursday: .3 ml (1.2 mg Prozac 8:00 AM and .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac) 8:00 PM

Friday: .3 ml (1.2 mg Prozac 8:00 AM and .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac) 8:00 PM

Saturday: .3 ml (1.2 mg Prozac 8:00 AM and .2 ml (.8 mg Prozac) 8:00 PM

Sunday: 12.5 mg Effexor 10:00 PM

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey there,

To avoid any confusion TD, it is a good idea to note the days by date, not just day of the week.

Sunday for example would be December 5, or 5th of December.  I can go in to your post above and add just that now.  I'll do it in lavender. (and unable to do that, having posting delays likely due to last software update)

And then, from here on out, or if you want to do December 5th, yesterday in a 24 hour format, that would be helpful.   And then post just the notes in one reply box.  Try and get a couple of days together once you get the hang of that.  Here is a copy of the sample note below to guide you:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

(taken from the quote in the first post of:  Recording drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress)

The date will then go at the top, for each 24 hour segment, and again, use the month and day, instead of referring to the day of the week.  Include all drugs taken by name and dose, you'd put the antihistamine in the daily symptom and drug log/Notes too.  Supplements as well.  Names, doses.  And symptoms to the right of the times.

13 hours ago, TDstruggle said:

And then the issues you note above ^.  When did you experience them?  Was that after the increased Prozac?

Do please take a look at the tapering topic for venlafaxine too.  I gave you that link so you could look at it to see just how to more accurately get non-standard doses from the 25 mg dose tablets you have.  So that is something to study when you feel less anxious today and alert.  Ask any questions right here, in your Introduction too, and we can help with that.  Were you able to check your prescription to see if they are indeed immediate release?  Look at the label, and see exactly what it states. 

Sounds like tonight, last night has been very restless.  Use as much non-drug coping as you can.  Breathing.  Perhaps listening to some thing calming, soothing music, etc.  We've got a ton of non-drug practices listed in the Symptoms and Self Care forum.

Start with some of the top pinned topics, and I'm guessing you may have some non-drug coping that you use as well.

For now, I would just breathe in slowly.........count to 4, and then Hold that breath for 7 seconds, and then out for 8 seconds.  Try to repeat up to 4 times.  And just let the thoughts, all those anxious thoughts come and go.......they ARE just thoughts.  Focus on a soft blanket, a nice scent, one of your loved ones.......you get the gist. 

We can direct you to more links to coping too, this is proving to be a lengthy post now though so will hold on that just yet.

And then prioritize getting yesterday, into a daily drug and symptom log/Note to post later.  We'll go from there.  Okay?

1 hour ago, TDstruggle said:

I'm scared if I go up on Effexor it will get even worse. Thoughts?

Let's see your Notes first, if you are okay with that, before you go up anymore on Effexor.  This will take a few days to clarify itself.  And you are recovering from the Prozac as well.  But the NOTES really help us to see what is what.  If anything, I would go lower with the venlafaxine dose, and also take it earlier in the day, if it was me.  With immediate release it may have more effect on your sleep than it did, prior to when you came off it.  I don't think you will need your old full dose to get some mitigation of WD symptoms.  In fact we'd rarely have you do that.  Patience is key now.

Hoping you get a few more Zzzz's in later TD.

There's a lot for you to look at in this post, so do take your time, and re-read if necessary.  You are just getting started still.  Breathe. 

Best.  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
posting and editing delays, hoping for some final clarity

Thank you everyone for your  input. It has been a rough day as you might imagine. My  hands are shaking so badly I have trouble typing.

My husband reviewed the information on the reinstatement and said we were good. However, I received a message from my doctor stating that I should remain on the prozac until the Effexor takes effect. My husband thought that was wrong based on what he read at the level dose I was on. However, I don't want to torture myself more than I have to. This is not going well. It took a week for my PC to get back to me, and I didn't ask the nurse because she said I had to go back on 37.5 controlled release to find balance. 

Question: Should I be taking Prozac with Effexor? Or was I right to stop Prozac on December 4th and Start Effexor on December 5th?

I'm taking the advice of all of you and keeping a log with symptoms and dosages. I had done this in hopes of finding some normalcy for Christmas and travel, but I may have made things worse. :(

Thank you again for your information and help!

A friend of mine just told me I should go back to the Prozac before it is too late. That it's only been 24 hour and I can go back. She thinks that I'm going to go through withdrawals of prozac and after eight months my body doesn't even remember Venlafaxine. Thoughts? Can I go back or is that going to shock my system even further?

Saturday December 4th: .3 ml Prozac 8:00 AM .2 ml 8:00PM

Sunday, December 5th: 12.5 mg Venlafaxine 10:00 PM

Sunday, December 5th: Hydroxyzine 10 mg - Antihistamine - 10:30 PM

Monday, December 6th: 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (after reading tapering we chose to cut in half so 1/2 in morning and 1/2 at night.

I'm FAR worse than I was 48 hours ago that's the only reason I'm asking. 

Edited by TDstruggle
More information

• Administrator

Hello, @TDstruggle 

If I were you, I would NOT go back up to 37.5mg Effexor. It's very possible that since your system is already sensitized by withdrawal and 37.5mg will cause the symptoms of activation similar to those you experienced from too much Prozac.

From your first post, I gather you had withdrawal symptoms throughout your tapering of 5mg Prozac from August-October. We would have told you to stop tapering at the first sign of withdrawal symptoms, because in our experience, they only get worse if you continue to reduce the dose. 

You were already in a state of withdrawal syndrome when you quit Prozac and reinstated 12.5mg Effexor. It will take 3-4 days for the Effexor to take full effect.

Did you ever feel well on 5mg Prozac? Did you take 5mg consistently July-August, prior to reducing Prozac?

Your doctors do not know what they're doing. This is not unusual, that's why this site exists and we have 16,500 members. They all have had similar experiences.

Hi Altostrata,

First, I apologize for all my questions, but you appear to be the most knowledgeable person about this I've met thus far. I greatly appreciate any input you could provide. 

I'm glad you confirmed not returning to 37.5 mg. I appreciate that. I have felt so alone in all this. Who knew anything could disrupt your life for eight months like this. 

So there is hope I will start feeling better in a few days? That is good to hear. I have felt so helpless for so long, and I'm normally a super optimistic person. I needed some hope!

When I went on Prozac 5 mg it wasn't good, but slowly improved over 6 weeks. At six to seven weeks, prior to next reduction, I managed to function a little better. I actually began working again. I wrote a rough draft of a book in those two weeks! I think I was still having windows and lows but they were improving. I did have issues with the Prozac and never felt great, but I was somewhat stable compared to the rest of the last eight months. But on August 8th we reduced by .3 ml (1.2 mg) and things turned south from that moment on. Yes, I had a slight improvement for two days prior to the next reduction, but for the next two I never improved.

Do you think continuing with no prozac with 12.5 mg Venlafaxine (split between morning and night 6.25) my best option at the moment?

The doctor had called in Alprozalam which has knocked me out in the past, but when I looked up the drug it appears to be another mind altering substance. Should I avoid taking this? Is the antihistamine okay to take for the anxiety and helping with sleep?

You don't know how much I appreciate your time and information. I've never felt so out of control and alone before. I don't even have my imagination any more. :( I hope my career isn't dead before I can find some stability.

Thank you,

TDstruggle

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, TDstruggle said:

When I went on Prozac 5 mg it wasn't good, but slowly improved over 6 weeks. At six to seven weeks, prior to next reduction, I managed to function a little better. I actually began working again. I wrote a rough draft of a book in those two weeks! I think I was still having windows and lows but they were improving. I did have issues with the Prozac and never felt great, but I was somewhat stable compared to the rest of the last eight months.

This is what we would expect from stabilization. If you had stayed on Prozac, you might have felt a lot better in a couple more months. Your doctors started tapering you too fast, and continued tapering through withdrawal symptoms, which was a drastic error.

Tapering Prozac is easier than tapering Effexor, as Prozac has a longer half-life and comes in a prescription liquid (it's easy to make a liquid yourself if you need to).

5 hours ago, TDstruggle said:

Saturday December 4th: .3 ml Prozac 8:00 AM .2 ml 8:00PM

How much Prozac was this in MILLIGRAMS? Please always give your dosage in milligrams, not milliliters.

If I were you, I'd stop taking advice about psychiatric drugs from the doctors you've been consulting.

DATE: 12/5

8:00PM Anxiety

10:00 PM 12.5 mg Venlafaxine

10:30 Rolling anxiety. Took Antihistamine

11:00 PM Rolling anxiety but managed to sleep

Date: 12/6

3:30 AM Major Anxiety

4:30 calmed down enough to fall asleep

7 a.m. Woke with anxiety/shaking
9 a.m. Took 6.25mg Venlafaxine

9:10 AM Ate toast
9:30 AM less anxiety, sleepy. Tingling Tongue
10:30 a.m. increase anxiety (pacing, shaking, scared, freaking out
11:35 a.m. slowly anxiety decreased over time
1:45 increased anxiety, hopelessness

3:00 Increased anxiety

3:45 Ate hard boiled egg, four chips, 1/4 soda

4:00 PM Feeling a little better
4:30 p.m. Best I felt all day
5:30 p.m. Increased anxiety

6:00  PM felt better

7:00 PM ate popcorn

7:40 PM 6.25 Venlafaxine

Date: 12/7:

5:00 AM woke with less to no anxiety

7:00 up and able to drive kid to school. Hint of happiness for first time in 8 months

7:20 - little anxiety, thoughts of future

7:51 AM - 6.25 mg Venlafaxine

8:00AM drank 1/4 cup  coffee and ate 8 almonds. 

8:40-10:30 Worked for first time in months

10:00-10:30 - Break and watched television

10:30 a little increase in anxiety, heated skin.

10:40 walked dog, scared and anxious

12:00 Felt good and hungry for first time.

12: 10 Ate 1/2 turkey sandwich, four chips, and drank water.

2:30 Anxious

3:30 Anxious about leaving house to go to grocery store

4:00 Fine in store.

4:30 blew off leaves on front lawn

5:15 increased anxious thoughts

5:30 Made dinner but couldn't eat

*This had been the best day of my life in 9 months until 7:00

7:00  MAJOR anxiety rolls. One after the other for a solid hour.

7:20 Took 6.25 Venlafaxine

8:30 Took antihistamine

10:00 tried to sleep but felt like I would jump out of my skin

Woke at: 11:00, 12:10, 2:00, 3:15, 4:03, 4:51, 5:00

6:00 Got up and paced for awhile

7:30 took 6.25 Venlafaxine

8:00AM Anxiety is the worst it has been since I started on Prozac and this entire ordeal began. :( 

I lost another 2 pounds and doctors are threatening me with going to the hospital if I don't improve on my own soon. MY PC said I shouldn't have stopped the prozac before the Venlafaxine was in my system for a couple of weeks. I didn't read that in the literature, but maybe I missed it. Thoughts on that would be appreciated. 

If you have any insights, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so weak and shaky that I have trouble climbing stairs at this point. Thank you again. It was such a blessing to have a few hours of sanity yesterday before this hit. I forgot what it was like to have a life and not be living like this.

• Administrator

How are you taking 6.25mg venlafaxine?

You have been taking venlafaxine since Sunday, 12/5, correct? It takes 3-4 days for a drug change to take full effect.

MY PC said I shouldn't have stopped the prozac before the Venlafaxine was in my system for a couple of weeks.

This is sort of correct, but it doesn't take 2 weeks.

You were doing better in the first part of 12/7 but  no so much in the evening. The Prozac would have been wearing off while the venlafaxine is ramping up. So in the evening, it's unclear whether you had an adverse reaction to too high a dose of venlafaxine or withdrawal symptoms breaking through because the Prozac level is too low to contain them.

We will need to see more daily notes to identify where your symptoms are coming from.

In my opinion, you would have done better to increase Prozac a bit rather than attempt a change to Effexor.

I lost another 2 pounds and doctors are threatening me with going to the hospital if I don't improve on my own soon.

I would never allow doctors to threaten me with anything. Sending you to the hospital is the only way your doctors know how to solve your problem. It's a toss-up whether anyone in the hospital will even be able to identify withdrawal symptoms, much less treat it. But you may prefer to take this chance.

See What is withdrawal syndrome?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TDstruggle,

Any better since......the tail end of your last NOTES?

I am sure hoping so.

In any case at least you had a great half day Window in the early part of the day December 7th.

Rooting for you......keep us updated when you can.

And best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi Manymoretodays,

Thank you for checking in on me.  Also, thank you so much for all the information provided. Now that I can actually read and comprehend, I am going through it all now. I was so bad, I couldn't even read more than a paragraph and retain the information.

I  hesitate to say this knowing how things have changed so fast, but in the last couple of days I haven't had a 14 hour shaking fit and I haven't prayed for God to take me home. This makes it a win so far.  Since I haven't had a break for three months at all, now that the anxiety is less I find myself exhausted. I've been sleeping a lot. However, last night I was in an out of sleep a lot, which follows the every other day sleepless nights I've had for the last week. However, this time the anxiety wasn't causing me to shake or want to jump out of my skin, and I was able to return to sleep. I also gained .4 lbs because I was able to eat a 1/2 of a cheeseburger yesterday! It's been nine months since I could eat much at all. Thankfully, through all of this I've been able to drink water! 

This morning (mornings are the toughest part of the day usually) is a little rough, nausea, anxious, skin stinging, tired, etc... However, this would've been a great day on Prozac. I'm able to drive since the dizziness seems to be gone since switching to Venlafaxine again. I'm hoping and praying that my body will continue adjusting where I'm at and I can finally stabilize. I need to know that I can find some sort of normalcy before I take on the battle further. 

I dropped my psychiatric nurse online and told my PC to call in more venlafaxine tablets for me to cut. She agreed to be refusing to go on 37.5 controlled release, but with the agreement that I would have a telemed appointment with her next week. I'm hoping by that point I will be even better. I'm not sure what to expect from here since it has been so long since I was able to sit up or talk or even move.

I'll post another two days worth of data this afternoon. I've also ordered a pill cutter because I think part of my problem is that I have a larger and smaller piece of the 1/2 pill each day. I take the larger one in the morning and smaller one at night. 

Again, thank you so much for reaching out.

TD

• Administrator

Good to hear the venlafaxine is taking effect. What exactly are you taking now, at what times o'clock and dosages?

Hi Altostrata,

7:30 AM - 6.25 MG 

7:30 PM - 6.25 MG

I am attempting to take 1/4 pill approximately 6.25 mg 7:30 am and 7:30 PM. The one in the morning seems to be slightly larger as it is difficult to cut it equally. I've ordered a pill cutter.

I hope that if I stay here for a time (I don't have a number of weeks or months) I'll continue to get better. I need my strength back if I'm going to be able to fight. After losing 27 pounds, I've barely been able to get from bed to couch. I was able to drive for the last two days without feeling dizzy or disoriented, and even been able to stand long enough to take a shower. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but that made me so happy. LOL

However, I'm no where near being great and I am still nervous. Every time I thought I was getting some sort of normalcy something would happen with my symptoms and it would go south. I was disappointed in myself for going back on Venlafaxine, but IF Prozac was an issue for me, I'm hoping I will no longer have this issue. My husband said I haven't looked this good since the start of this nightmare almost 9 months ago. Not even when I thought I was having "windows".

Thanks again. I greatly appreciate your insights through this journey. Again, I just need a chance to take a breath so that I can pick up the fight again. 

• Administrator

We're very familiar with withdrawal here, and with reinstatement. We have more than 6,000 case histories.

Please read What is withdrawal syndrome?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Date: 12/8

Up all night

7:45 AM 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (Extremely anxious but anxiety is a little less)

10:00 AM Anxiety wave. I sipped on Ginger Ale and watched TV. Sleepy but can't sleep. 

10:45 AM Anxiety wave. Tingling tongue

11:00 AM Ate toast

11:15 AM Took Antihistamine

12:00 AM Anxiety Wave

1:00  PM Nap

2:00 PM Sipped on Coke Zero and ate handful of almonds

2:15 PM manged to work a little

2:40 PM Wave of anxiety

2:55 PM Wave of anxiety. Tongue tingling. Negative thoughts.

3:27 PM Anxiety Wave

5L00 PM Made dinner

5:15 PM Sad and frustrated

6:15 PM Ate a few bites of chicken and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes

7:30 PM Anxiety Wave

7:30 PM Took approximately 6.25 mg Venlafaxine

8:00 PM Ate 5 Peanut M&Ms

10:30 Hungry but went to sleep

Date: 12/9

6:00 AM woke and made muffins for children

7:00 AM Nausea. Sleepy and anxious

7:30 AM took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine, but larger quarter of the pill

7:30 AM worked

8:00 AM Read post here and triggered anxiety. Feel like a  failure. Like I've done something wrong by going back to Venlafaxine.

8:30 Tingling skin, flu-like symptoms, tired

8:35 Ate a few raw almonds

9:00 AM Stopped working and watched TV

10:00 AM Ate a muffin and drank a few swallows of milk

10:15 nap

12:00 Ate small sub (Most food so far!)

12:15 Drove Son to school

12:30 mini anxiety roll. Tired, tongue tingling but not as much

12:30-1:30 worked

1:40 drove to pick up son

2:00 - 2:45 Took son on driving lesson

3:00 Coconut water

3:30  PM stronger anxiety wave. (I may have over done it)

3:45 Took Omega - 3's

5:20 PM Mini anxiety roll

6:00 PM Ate dinner! (1/2 burger and 4 tater tots)

6:14 mini anxiety roll with negative thoughts

7:30 PM took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (smaller 1/4th of pill)

8:00 PM Ate a few Peanut M&Ms

10:30 Bed. In and out all night. Waking to feeling 'off' and having racing negative thoughts.

Date: 12/10

7:00 AM Drove son to school (Anxious, nausea, tired, stomach upset)

7:35 AM 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (larger 1/4 of pill)

7:45 AM Went back to bed

8:51 AM woke and ran to pick son up. (lots of driving for exam week)

9:30 AM sipped on Ginger Ale and ate a piece of shortbread.

9:45 AM - 10:45 AM worked

10:45 Took break. (tongue tingling)

11:30 AM Ate 1/2 burger and drank 1/2 Coke zero

12:00 Feel good. A little woozy and a few fearful thoughts.

1:20 PM Little anxious feeling lost and no energy. Tired of living on the couch.

2:08 PM Depressed, lethargic and queasy.

2:30 PM Not feeling well at all. flu-like. Went to bed

3:30 Pm Woke-up and felt better

4:00 Pm Showered. (With being able to eat again I was able to stand long enough to take a shower. This is a huge win for me!)

4:15 Ate 3 Peanut M&Ms

7:00 PM Ate a few bites of chicken and white rice and ate one crab Rangoon

7:30 PM Took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (smaller 1/4)

8:00 PM Little anxious and tired. Still not feeling well.

11:00 PM tried to sleep but in and out but at for first hour or two but once asleep I had a great night.

Date 12/11

6:00 AM woke-up mini rolls of anxiety and feeling anxious. Managed to stay in bed

7:30 AM took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine and went back to bed.

8:30 AM I didn't sleep so got up and attempted to eat a piece of toast. Managed 1/2 a piece

9:00 AM Went for a walk with husband and dog. Made it 1.3 miles! (I used to run 5k with no problem. But I will take this as a win)

9:30 AM I pulled up post here and became anxious. Decided to concentrate on feeling better more than reading more information at this moment. I will read more as I feel better prior to making any further changes. 

10:30 AM Managed to leave the house to run errands with husband. I'm off the couch! Feeling anxious and have negative thoughts and still queasy, but I'm moving.

11:17 AM I am feeling pretty good.

*Question: In regards to the fearful thoughts about health and wellness, is this part of withdrawal or is this an underlying issue? I didn't see this specific point in withdrawal symptoms, but perhaps I over looked it. My mind is still not back to 100%.

6 minutes ago, TDstruggle said:

Date: 12/8

Up all night

7:45 AM 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (Extremely anxious but anxiety is a little less)

10:00 AM Anxiety wave. I sipped on Ginger Ale and watched TV. Sleepy but can't sleep. 

10:45 AM Anxiety wave. Tingling tongue

11:00 AM Ate toast

11:15 AM Took Antihistamine

12:00 AM Anxiety Wave

1:00  PM Nap

2:00 PM Sipped on Coke Zero and ate handful of almonds

2:15 PM manged to work a little

2:40 PM Wave of anxiety

2:55 PM Wave of anxiety. Tongue tingling. Negative thoughts.

3:27 PM Anxiety Wave

5L00 PM Made dinner

5:15 PM Sad and frustrated

6:15 PM Ate a few bites of chicken and a tablespoon of mashed potatoes

7:30 PM Anxiety Wave

7:30 PM Took approximately 6.25 mg Venlafaxine

8:00 PM Ate 5 Peanut M&Ms

10:30 Hungry but went to sleep

Date: 12/9

6:00 AM woke and made muffins for children

7:00 AM Nausea. Sleepy and anxious

7:30 AM took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine, but larger quarter of the pill

7:30 AM worked

8:00 AM Read post here and triggered anxiety. Feel like a  failure. Like I've done something wrong by going back to Venlafaxine.

8:30 Tingling skin, flu-like symptoms, tired

8:35 Ate a few raw almonds

9:00 AM Stopped working and watched TV

10:00 AM Ate a muffin and drank a few swallows of milk

10:15 nap

12:00 Ate small sub (Most food so far!)

12:15 Drove Son to school

12:30 mini anxiety roll. Tired, tongue tingling but not as much

12:30-1:30 worked

1:40 drove to pick up son

2:00 - 2:45 Took son on driving lesson

3:00 Coconut water

3:30  PM stronger anxiety wave. (I may have over done it)

3:45 Took Omega - 3's

5:20 PM Mini anxiety roll

6:00 PM Ate dinner! (1/2 burger and 4 tater tots)

6:14 mini anxiety roll with negative thoughts

7:30 PM took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (smaller 1/4th of pill)

8:00 PM Ate a few Peanut M&Ms

10:30 Bed. In and out all night. Waking to feeling 'off' and having racing negative thoughts.

Date: 12/10

7:00 AM Drove son to school (Anxious, nausea, tired, stomach upset)

7:35 AM 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (larger 1/4 of pill)

7:45 AM Went back to bed

8:51 AM woke and ran to pick son up. (lots of driving for exam week)

9:30 AM sipped on Ginger Ale and ate a piece of shortbread.

9:45 AM - 10:45 AM worked

10:45 Took break. (tongue tingling)

11:30 AM Ate 1/2 burger and drank 1/2 Coke zero

12:00 Feel good. A little woozy and a few fearful thoughts.

1:20 PM Little anxious feeling lost and no energy. Tired of living on the couch.

2:08 PM Depressed, lethargic and queasy.

2:30 PM Not feeling well at all. flu-like. Went to bed

3:30 Pm Woke-up and felt better

4:00 Pm Showered. (With being able to eat again I was able to stand long enough to take a shower. This is a huge win for me!)

4:15 Ate 3 Peanut M&Ms

7:00 PM Ate a few bites of chicken and white rice and ate one crab Rangoon

7:30 PM Took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine (smaller 1/4)

8:00 PM Little anxious and tired. Still not feeling well.

11:00 PM tried to sleep but in and out but at for first hour or two but once asleep I had a great night.

Date 12/11

6:00 AM woke-up mini rolls of anxiety and feeling anxious. Managed to stay in bed

7:30 AM took 6.25 mg Venlafaxine and went back to bed.

8:30 AM I didn't sleep so got up and attempted to eat a piece of toast. Managed 1/2 a piece

9:00 AM Went for a walk with husband and dog. Made it 1.3 miles! (I used to run 5k with no problem. But I will take this as a win)

9:30 AM I pulled up post here and became anxious. Decided to concentrate on feeling better more than reading more information at this moment. I will read more as I feel better prior to making any further changes. 

10:30 AM Managed to leave the house to run errands with husband. I'm off the couch! Feeling anxious and have negative thoughts and still queasy, but I'm moving.

11:17 AM I am feeling pretty good.

*Question: In regards to the fearful thoughts about health and wellness, is this part of withdrawal or is this an underlying issue? I didn't see this specific point in withdrawal symptoms, but perhaps I over looked it. My mind is still not back to 100%.

Hi TDStruggle,

i hope the moderators are ok with me adding some valuable insight. Please stay away from intakes such as: ginger ale, peanut M&Ms, coke zero, and other similar products. Your road to good physical health is your road to good mental health. Substitute drinks with herbal tea (especially green) and plenty of water. Cut off any and all processed foods. Go out for walks, especially if you are fortunate to live in a sunny place (i am in Canada and we don't get much sun here). 

i hope you find this helpful.

December 2009: First panic attack. Prescribed Xanax for panic episodes.

2010-2013: panic free.

May 2013: Panic/anxiety resurfaces.

Spring 2014: Started Paxil CR gradually from 12.5 to 25 to 37.5 mg.

Late spring 2017: Started tapering off Paxil CR.

Early fall 2017: stopped Paxil CR.

January 2018: Resumed Paxil CR.

September 2020: Switched to Paxil 30 mg.

October 22nd 2021: Last pill of Paxil 30 mg (after 10 short days of tapering).

October 22nd-29th 2021: Tough week. Main symptoms: lightheadedness, dizziness, brain zaps.

December 22nd 2021: Still experiencing windows and waves. No overall improvement yet.

December 24th 2021: Reinstated on Paxil 10 mg

• Administrator

Looks to me like you're stabilizing on the venlafaxine. This may be gradual over weeks. See 

"Is it always going to be like this?"

The importance of recognizing you're feeling good

Get some gentle exercise every day! Walking for a half-hour or more is good. This helps your system re-regulate itself.

Agree that it probably would be best for you to avoid eating anything that might have artificial ingredients. You may also be sensitive to caffeine, a probable ingredient in Coke Zero.

Did you always have "fearful thoughts about health and wellness"?

Please update your signature with your return to venlafaxine Sunday, 12/5, and the dosage.

Altostrata and Erudite,

Thank you both for your comments. I'm usually a healthy eater (excluding my morning coffee). However, the reason I was eating those things was because it was the only things I could get down. I had lost so much weight, I just needed to eat something. Today, though, I've finally been able to stick with healthy foods. I've avoided soda which was the only thing that helped my nausea so that I could eat.

Altostrata, to answer your question about "fearful thoughts" it is a little complicated. No, I didn't have these thoughts throughout my life. However, fourteen years ago when I was taking a drug called Ultracet (that they swore was not an opioid or habit forming) for having herniated discs I was also diagnosed with Postpartum depression. During that short time, I was stopping Ultracet. I do recall having some of these thoughts. Now, the question remains, did something happen to my mental state after having a third child, or is this related to the medicine? I don't know. I have zero history prior to the incident that had me put on Venlafaxine six months after my son was born. I do live with considerable pain, though. Pain that I don't let stop me from moving and living life. 

I do notice that i have a lot of fear I've never experienced before. It is difficult for me to leave my house at times. I NEVER had that. I've always been an active, wanting to get out and see the world kind of person. I've also noticed that yesterday when I was having a great few hours the fear was less intense.

I know, that was a long winded way of saying I'm not sure how to answer your question. If it isn't related to withdrawal then I'm not sure if I can get off the antidepressant and stay off of it. I won't live my life hidden away at home. That is NOT me. I have no other obsessive thoughts, only about health and worried about being unable to move in the future due to the pain.

Thanks again for all your help and insight. It has been invaluable.