FeralCatman: recovering from Seroquel

FeralCatman

UPDATE

Starting 2 days ago I am suddenly having a resurgence of many of the symptoms I had a year ago. Not quite as severe so far but pretty close and my body is panicking over normal body functions again and I'm having to try to sleep sitting up because if I lay down my body goes into panic mode. My guts have slowed down to a crawl so I can't eat much either and as it stands right now I haven't slept in 24 hours and I'm just resting on the couch. Any thoughts or inputs or wisdom anyone can offer would be appreciated. There was no identifiable trigger this time. I have made no changes to anything. Very disappointing. 😔

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

1 hour ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

Starting 2 days ago I am suddenly having a resurgence of many of the symptoms I had a year ago. Not quite as severe so far but pretty close and my body is panicking over normal body functions again and I'm having to try to sleep sitting up because if I lay down my body goes into panic mode. My guts have slowed down to a crawl so I can't eat much either and as it stands right now I haven't slept in 24 hours and I'm just resting on the couch. Any thoughts or inputs or wisdom anyone can offer would be appreciated. There was no identifiable trigger this time. I have made no changes to anything. Very disappointing. 😔

I read in the success stories (sorry I don’t remember which threads) of people having there worst ever wave way out after stopping and then after that they reported feeling healed. I remember reading it as one last massive surge of withdrawal and then they were good……

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

4 minutes ago, Thorin said:

I read in the success stories (sorry I don’t remember which threads) of people having there worst ever wave way out after stopping and then after that they reported feeling healed. I remember reading it as one last massive surge of withdrawal and then they were good……

@ThorinThank you very much for that input. I had read that at one point and forgot so let's hope that's what this is. I appreciate the feedback it's very helpful. I've never been a religious man or much of a praying man other than my kitty prayer list but I think I will do that and perhaps it will do some good. It
certainly can't hurt.

2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

5 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

I have seen that the same patterns appear every year.. so it's not a surprise.  The good news is that you get better at coping, and maybe that alone feels like the symptoms have improved due to the reduced fight/flight response. There are also improvements to temperature tolerance, and gut-brain axis activity. 

If there is one thing that withdrawal teaches you, it's that staying on top of your limbic system is the key to healing. Just focus on breathing and sending your body messages of safety.

I have been up since 1:30am waking up in a sweat and my gut has been overactive.  We had a spike in weather yesterday, so it is most likely the body's delayed response. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

5 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

@ThorinThank you very much for that input. I had read that at one point and forgot so let's hope that's what this is. I appreciate the feedback it's very helpful. I've never been a religious man or much of a praying man other than my kitty prayer list but I think I will do that and perhaps it will do some good. It
certainly can't hurt.

I just read this again and I hope my comments about prayer doesn't come off as offensive in any way to anyone's belief system it's just not something I'm in the habit of doing.

1 hour ago, tsranga said:

I have seen that the same patterns appear every year.. so it's not a surprise.  The good news is that you get better at coping, and maybe that alone feels like the symptoms have improved due to the reduced fight/flight response. There are also improvements to temperature tolerance, and gut-brain axis activity. 

If there is one thing that withdrawal teaches you, it's that staying on top of your limbic system is the key to healing. Just focus on breathing and sending your body messages of safety.

I have been up since 1:30am waking up in a sweat and my gut has been overactive.  We had a spike in weather yesterday, so it is most likely the body's delayed response. 

@tsrangaSorry to hear you are having a hard time as well it's a real bummer when things flare up. So far I can definitely say the symptoms are not as severe as last year at least not yet and this time I can intervene with a big change in diet just because I am better educated now. It's only 35° F right now and I can go outside and a t-shirt without shivering like crazy. The anxiety and cortisol are also not as bad the only thing that is troubling me right now is not sleeping last night. I'm going to stick with just electrolytes today and let things settle down and I'm waiting to hear back from my primary care doctor to get his input. Due to the multitude of things that have happened to me over the years he will probably have me go to the ER and get checked out but most likely this is just a continuation of Post Acute withdrawal.  if that's what he recommends it's better safe than sorry and they can check my thyroid to make sure that hasn't suddenly changed again which it has done before and made a mess out of me.

Check your BP. 

After my post above, I went through a similar pattern of not being able to sleep as my body was releasing gas and pushing air up my nostrils. Fortunately I have been able to stay out of panic mode, as it is not as intense as the previous years.

The last two days my BP has been more variable, tending towards the low side (100/70) with patchy circulation to my legs, and this morning it had spiked to 135/90.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

30 minutes ago, tsranga said:

Check your BP. 

After my post above, I went through a similar pattern of not being able to sleep as my body was releasing gas and pushing air up my nostrils. Fortunately I have been able to stay out of panic mode, as it is not as intense as the previous years.

The last two days my BP has been more variable, tending towards the low side (100/70) with patchy circulation to my legs, and this morning it had spiked to 135/90.

I take my vitals everyday and I have taken all of my vitals several times today and everything looks normal.  my SmartWatch is not picking up anything different than it was yesterday or the day before. My blood glucose this morning was higher than it has been by quite a bit but nothing scary and I think that's because my body is just stressed right now. Symptoms I'm dealing with at the moment are constipation and GI distress which is triggering an anxiety reaction and not being able to sleep.

41 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

Symptoms I'm dealing with at the moment are constipation and GI distress which is triggering an anxiety reaction and not being able to sleep.

Interesting...  I am dealing with GI distress too but it's more active.

Chronic IBS since 1990

So it is 10:00 p.m. and I am now at 40 hours with no sleep at all and am at a loss as what to do. I am doing everything that is recommended and nothing seems to be working. I do still have 1 mg Ativan in the house but I haven't taken it in over a year and I'm extremely hesitant to try it. At this point a reinstatement of a low dose of Seroquel seems like a bad idea as well. I am hoping at some point my body will cave in and let me sleep. Any and all input is welcome because I really don't know what to do.

7 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

So it is 10:00 p.m. and I am now at 40 hours with no sleep at all and am at a loss as what to do. I am doing everything that is recommended and nothing seems to be working. I do still have 1 mg Ativan in the house but I haven't taken it in over a year and I'm extremely hesitant to try it. At this point a reinstatement of a low dose of Seroquel seems like a bad idea as well. I am hoping at some point my body will cave in and let me sleep. Any and all input is welcome because I really don't know what to do.

Reinstatement at this early stage seems like a massive step backwards. If you’re in a wave it makes sense that you wouldn’t be sleeping. Has this happened in the past? Did it pass if it happened previously? 

About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

I have had phases without sleep due to adrenaline rushes and what has helped me was to just focus on breathing..   there is a yoga practice called yoganidra that really helps me to get some some rest. I do about 20 min of it, sometimes they can extend to a nap. 

Is it possible that you may be feeding your anxiety/panic and caught in a loop about not being able to sleep? Affirmations that you are safe and not in danger, distraction with music or TV may also help. Something that's routine and repetitive...

Chronic IBS since 1990

6 hours ago, Thorin said:

Reinstatement at this early stage seems like a massive step backwards. If you’re in a wave it makes sense that you wouldn’t be sleeping. Has this happened in the past? Did it pass if it happened previously? 

4 hours ago, tsranga said:

I have had phases without sleep due to adrenaline rushes and what has helped me was to just focus on breathing..   there is a yoga practice called yoganidra that really helps me to get some some rest. I do about 20 min of it, sometimes they can extend to a nap. 

Is it possible that you may be feeding your anxiety/panic and caught in a loop about not being able to sleep? Affirmations that you are safe and not in danger, distraction with music or TV may also help. Something that's routine and repetitive...

Thank you both for getting back me. It is now nearly 5:00 a.m. and I just woke.  About 15 minutes  after I wrote that post I passed out and slept and have now had about 6 hours of broken sleep.  it is helpful to know that others go through this and get through it. I went through this a year ago and I did make it through but as you know this experience wears you down.  As I am sure you know the sleep deprivation begins to affect you fairly quickly and that was certainly happening with me.

What I found helpful was that I had done about 40 minutes worth of deep breathing in front of my television with a star field displayed and some calming music. I also found that I could sleep on my side if I curled up into a fetal position instead of having my legs stretched out. This has been the main problem in that my body would not let me lay on my side without panicking but when I curled my legs up tight it stopped. I also cut my diet back to a liquid diet yesterday and that helped my guts to calm down and that has worked several times so I'm going to make some more astronaut food today and just munch on that for the next few days and hopefully all this will calm right back down. The other issue I have been having only at night is that I am getting adrenaline surges when I have to pee. This has also happened before and it also cleared up so I assume it will clear up again and it's just finding a way to get through from point A to point B. 

Haha knew you could do it! So glad you slept. I hope it’s helped you feel a little better

@ThorinIt certainly didn't hurt. The last time this happened was when I had a major correction to my endocrine system and my diabetes went away. I am hoping this is a sign that another major correction is taking place and that it will ultimately benefit me it's just hard to stay in that mindset when you feel this crappy.

20 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

@ThorinIt certainly didn't hurt. The last time this happened was when I had a major correction to my endocrine system and my diabetes went away. I am hoping this is a sign that another major correction is taking place and that it will ultimately benefit me it's just hard to stay in that mindset when you feel this crappy.

I understand. As I improve it’ll feel like things are getting worse briefly (I of course get very stressed or anxious) and then a week or two later I realise I feel better than I did before. Of course I’m a lot further behind in my journey than you but mindset difficulties are probably similar. My latest thing is getting anxiety every time I have to take my dose. It’s something I’m really going to have to put some effort into to change. Let us know if things improve for you after this.

1 hour ago, Thorin said:

I understand. As I improve it’ll feel like things are getting worse briefly (I of course get very stressed or anxious) and then a week or two later I realise I feel better than I did before. Of course I’m a lot further behind in my journey than you but mindset difficulties are probably similar. My latest thing is getting anxiety every time I have to take my dose. It’s something I’m really going to have to put some effort into to change. Let us know if things improve for you after this.

@ThorinI had that same anxiety when still on the Seroquel and when changing my other meds earlier last year. Hard to overcome.

The good thing right now is that even with the anxiety I am still not feeling depressed. So, we'll just have to see where this goes.

I am happy you were able to sleep. I can't offer any advice, but I sure do understand where your coming from. I hope tonight brings you rest. 

Dropped 10% to 225mg-2/3/22. 200mg XR 2/19/23, 180 XRmg 3/20/23, 162 XRmg 4/25/23, 150 XR 5/25/23, 7/31/23 137.5mg XR & IR, 9/4/23 125mg (100mg XR,25mg IR)  9/21/23, (100mg XR, 12.5mg IR) 10/28/23, (100mg XR) 11/19/23, (50mg XR, 50mg IR) 12/8/23, (50mg XR, 42mg IR) 1/1/24, 82.8mg 2/7/24, 75mg 2/22/24, 66.5mg 2/20/24.

Supplements- Magnesium Glycinate 420mg, 1000mg fish oil twice daily, 268.5 vitamin E.

6 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

I also found that I could sleep on my side if I curled up into a fetal position instead of having my legs stretched out. This has been the main problem in that my body would not let me lay on my side without panicking but when I curled my legs up tight it stopped.

I could have written this... Whenever the body doesn't feel safe, I have difficulty sleeping on my side. When it does, it automatically favors sleeping curled up on my right side.  

Only in the last 2 months have I been consistently sleeping on my right side.

I have also been going through a flare the last 2-3 days, and it's been harder to sleep in the side and I have been waking up through the night with body pain like a snake pulling and constricting different parts of my body along with heat and burning, all of which move around.  

As soon as I am fully awake in the morning, the pain subsides.

Glad you could get some sleep.

Chronic IBS since 1990

That's interesting. The body must have a way of knowing that lying on your side leaves your backside vulnerable. Really sorry you are dealing with another flare.

I am finding that this flare is not as bad as compared to a year ago. It is not affecting my vision, balance, or depression level. It is not affecting my ability to drive which is huge. Last year just getting 15 minutes up the road to the transfer station to get rid of my trash was a frightening adventure. No changes in that ability this time. No brain zaps or other odd things. This time it is limited to sleep disruption, anxiety, gut distress, and some of the muscle pain you described. It is bad and uncomfortable no doubt but not anywhere near as bad as a year ago. The limited easy to digest diet helps greatly. I spent the morning relaxing, deep breathing, watching home building shows on youtube, and making fresh apple sauce and pureed vegetables and rice. Now I have big containers of each that I can take a spoonful or 2 out of each container several times a day to keep the nutrition going in. I added salt and a potassium supplement and some olive oil to each to keep the electrolytes and fat intake up. No olive oil in the applesauce of course. To the applesauce I add some psilium fiber husk and protein powder and a dash of salt and potassium. My guts complain a little bit but not too bad. I will stop eating today by 6 pm so my guts have time to process and settle before bed. This coupled with the vitamins I take will not leave me deficient while this is going on.

Thank you again to those who responded. It helps and is appreciated. 😉✌️😺😺😺

UPDATE

Well, that was a lot quicker than I feared it was going to be. Last night I slept 9 hours, broken due to the nocturia of course, and this morning I feel fine.

I am wondering if the rapid fire succession of snow storms, especially the first one where I was doing heavy work for two days,  and the sudden increase in heavy physical activity caused a bit of a kindling effect which affected my digestion and caused my body to freak out. Once I did a day of liquids and went to pureed foods things calmed down really fast. I had started eating pistachios again as they have not typically been a problem. With all of the other stressors perhaps they are just too hard to digest right now and place an extra load on the system. That's just a guess of course and in reality who really knows. I am however going to stick with pureed foods for awhile to give my digestive tract a break and hopefully keep sleeping like I did last night. Seems like the more sleep I get the better I feel and the quicker I recover from these episodes so I am making anything that helps me to sleep the priority above all else.

I suspect it's the change of season and sunlight intensity..  

In ayurveda, almost all of nature is divided into 3 elements - wind/air/vata, fire/pitta, and water/earth/kapha.

Each one of us is a mix of these elements, ideally in balance.  We are born with a predominant element/s. The environment and age can change the dominant element eg. Winter means more kapha, fall means less pitta/more vata, spring means less kapha/more pitta, summer means more pitta. 

Similarly each day is divided into vata, pitta and kapha times. 2-6 is vata, 6-10 is kapha and 10-2 is pitta. 

Foods also are classified into these categories. 

The reason I am talking about this is that I can see how my symptoms perfectly align with the time of day, and season change. 

The last week or two, the sun has upped it's intensity, so even when it's 50 deg, it feels much warmer than a winter 50 deg. I can feel my body heat increase especially in the 10-2 slot.  

Excess of each element also has certain symptoms. The problem for us is that our nervous system is not sync, and can swing excessively or stay stuck in a particular state.. this is what causes issues. Add to that, climate change brings more variations in the weather that causes its own issues. If plants struggle to adapt to climate change, why shouldnt we?

If you are interested in reading more, here is a link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361919/

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsrangaIt's possible. However, before I got off the Seroquel I tracked things very carefully for quite a while and the only thing I found environment wise was that I tend to go downhill once the tree pollen comes out in mid to late March. Then I would be miserable until mid June. Right now everything is frozen solid and the snow Banks in my yard are about 7 ft tall and, before I got off the Seroquel , winter through mid-march was typically my best time of year since I am a winter sports freak and has been my most active and I usually felt worse in the spring and early summer due to the tree pollen. I always chalked this up to my northern European heritage since I am almost entirely Scandinavian. It's been a pretty odd winter so what you are saying may have something to do with this. It's also possible that the withdrawal has flipped things around a bit. I will read the link you sent and look into what you are talking about a little bit more and see if it fits.

UPDATE

Increased my magnesium dosage to 125mg twice daily per the instructions on the bottle and switched forms from Magnesium Glycinate to Magnesium citrate which is also a gentle osmotic laxative which will help keep things moving along and help my guts out so my nervous system doesn't have to struggle as much to move things through. Took it last night and no issues and I found that it relaxed me pretty quickly. Slept 7 hours last night but the Nocturia kicked into high gear so it was very broken sleep, but still sleep.

@tsrangaI read the link that you sent and gave it some thought and here is what I think is most likely happening and as always it is multi-factorial. As I said I normally have trouble during the springtime anyways so perhaps that is just manifesting itself earlier this year so that could be part of the problem. This has been a really abnormal winter with crazy fluctuations in temperature and humidity which causes problems even with healthy people. Combine that with Post Acute withdrawal syndrome hypersensitivity in my nervous system and whatever symptoms that I'm going to get from that are going to be Amplified. Also according to my records the stress of those snow storms in Rapid Fire never allowed me to fully recover from the first one and I do think that it created a bit of a kindling effect in my nervous system. Combine those things into a nervos system blender and it's a recipe for feeling like crap. So for now I'm doing the only thing I can do which is to back down and lay low to keep my stress low and continue with an easy to digest diet which I don't mind doing and keep my physical activity to a minimum to allow my body to de-stress and then just wait and see how things go. Beyond that there isn't a whole lot else I can do other than endure it for however long this lasts. Switching the Magnesium formulation is already helping motivate my guts so it's pulling double duty and so far not causing any problems.

That makes sense. 

I am finding that I am deconditioned from lack of my usual exercise routine over the winter break, and my BP/HR is swinging more than usual to postural changes and exercise..  may have to restart slow.. this really sucks as it appears to put me back almost 2 years.. last year was much better physically.. hopefully it will recover sooner this time.

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsrangaI think you will probably find that you will recover that ability quicker than you think and are probably not as far back as what you think. It is the nervous system stuff that really gets you but once you can get past that the physical stuff is fairly easy.

I forgot to add to my list of potential triggers that I also in the middle of it all I slipped in my driveway and hit my head really hard on the ice and ended up with a whiplash injury. I am pretty sure that didn't do my nervous system any favors.

think you will probably find that you will recover that ability quicker than you think and are probably not as far back as what you think. It is the nervous system stuff that really gets you but once you can get past that the physical stuff is fairly easy.

I sincerely hope so. 

Btw, this is an interesting read - https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/6/1482

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsrangaThat is a fantastic article and I'm going to send it to all of my doctors and let them know there will be a quiz the next time I see them.  It also makes a pretty strong case for really taking care of your gut when recovering from these drugs.  It seems like if you are not taking care of your gut health that you run a good risk of just taking an already miserable process and extending it out much further.  It also seems like probiotics may actually be very useful in recovery if you are able to tolerate them which is something I will be trying again very soon. You may want to post this in its own thread and add some tags to it so people can find it easily.

UPDATE

So, even with this recent rather intense upset I am looking at my spreadsheet this morning and there are still good things to report.

1) This episode, other than for the 2 days where I didn't sleep, has not grossly affected my functionality. I can still get out and get done what I need to get done with no issues.

2.) I definitely recover much faster and the episode was fairly short and did not progress to gastroparesis and vomiting. Scary and uncomfortable but other than the 2 days where I did not sleep, not completely crippling. Even on those days I could still drive if needed. Some of the reason for this is that I have discovered the diet trick that works for me by switching to an easy to digest diet and even going to pureed foods (Astronaut Foods) temporarily until things recover. Taking stress off the gut really helps to calm things down.

3) I have enough data now to confidently say that on average the amount of sleep I am getting has gone up again. Starting on 01/25/2023 I went from getting about 6-7 hours of broken sleep a night to 7-8 and a couple of times 9 hours of broken sleep. This should be a big help. Once the Nocturia finally packs its bags and leaves I should be able to get some really good restorative sleep. A year ago I was getting about 0-4 hours of broken sleep and most nights were about 2 hours.

UPDATE

Something odd has happened as a result of this recent upset. I am now suddenly reacting to Ginger which has been part of my daily routine in my electrolyte drink everyday for almost a year so something has changed.  Has anyone else had anything like this happen after 19 months off of a drug??

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

3) I have enough data now to confidently say that on average the amount of sleep I am getting has gone up again. Starting on 01/25/2023 I went from getting about 6-7 hours of broken sleep a night to 7-8 and a couple of times 9 hours of broken sleep. This should be a big help. Once the Nocturia finally packs its bags and leaves I should be able to get some really good restorative sleep. A year ago I was getting about 0-4 hours of broken sleep and most nights were about 2 hours.

This is wonderful!  Sleep has been my biggest issue in withdrawal.  My sleep has improved a lot as well, but some nights I still have issues.  7-8 hours of sleep a night is excellent, especially for a person in WD.  

42 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

Something odd has happened as a result of this recent upset. I am now suddenly reacting to Ginger which has been part of my daily routine in my electrolyte drink everyday for almost a year so something has changed.  Has anyone else had anything like this happen after 19 months off of a drug??

I haven't personally had this happen, but our systems tend to be hypersensitive, and it's not uncommon to have reactions to things like this. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

UPDATE

What are you experiencing? Are you sure it's the ginger?  I would be very careful about attributing a reaction to something that you have been using daily.  This is how our brain screws us up.  

I finally was able to get some morning sleep after I get typically woken up at 4:30am with gas/visceral pain. The key today was that there was no pain, and that also seems to translate to a quiet gut.. which can be  good or bad..  

So my brain was off problem solving for what caused the change..  could it be the supplement that I had last night after a long time? Could it be the drop in temperature?  But I did notice that my tongue was pink again this morning, and my blood flow below the pelvis returned yesterday before the supplement.

Frankly I think it's just the body doing its thing.. we just try to attribute a possible trigger..

Chronic IBS since 1990

Congratulations on being drug free getofflex. 😁✌️😺😺😺

Thank you for the reply and yes it is very nice at 19 months post Seroquel to finally be getting reasonable sleep and I think that will go a long way towards completing this healing process which is by far the scariest and most convoluted crazy thing I have ever had to go through. Having been in the military and serving in the submarine service that is certainly a significant statement. I still have a ways to go but I'm sure I will get there sooner or later.

I figured as much about the ginger it's just surprising after all this time to suddenly react to it but I imagine in time it won't matter again just like some of the other stuff that I couldn't have and can now have.  What a crazy ride this is I never should have put a quarter in the machine. I should have gone and played Skee-Ball instead. 🙄

1 minute ago, tsranga said:

What are you experiencing? Are you sure it's the ginger?  I would be very careful about attributing a reaction to something that you have been using daily.  This is how our brain screws us up.  

I finally was able to get some morning sleep after I get typically woken up at 4:30am with gas/visceral pain. The key today was that there was no pain, and that also seems to translate to a quiet gut.. which can be  good or bad..  

So my brain was off problem solving for what caused the change..  could it be the supplement that I had last night after a long time? Could it be the drop in temperature?  

Frankly I think it's just the body doing its thing.. we just try to attribute a possible trigger..

@tsrangaIt is definitely the ginger. The same thing happened the other day with ginger tea. Today I tried it in my electrolyte drink made from organic cranberry and apple juice with salt and potassium chloride and water.  I reacted to the drink with the ginger in it so I dumped it out and made the same mixture without the ginger and I was fine. So for a while I'm going to give it a rest and I'll try it again in a month or two.

8 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

So for a while I'm going to give it a rest and I'll try it again in a month or two.

If you have a journal, maybe you can check last year around the same time.  

I have had times especially when around the season change into spring when ginger and chili pepper would cause a flare..  but I haven't had that since last year.. 

Chronic IBS since 1990