FeralCatman: recovering from Seroquel

FeralCatman

UPDATE

Also thought people would want to know that during tapering and withdrawal what is said about developing strange reactions is definitely true. I have been having a lot of nerve pain that limited my ability to walk for the last few months and discovered that it was the protein powder I was supplementing with that was causing it. Whey protein powder contains a long list of amino acids including glycine which is a neurotransmitter Central to spinal cord function and L glutathione which is a precursor to glutamate which is one of the primary neurotransmitters in your central nervous system. Taking an excess of the two of those seems to have been interfering with nerve Transmission in my spinal cord. I stopped using it and the pain was greatly improved within 24 hours and I tried using a very small amount of it in the pain does not come back so I was apparently using too much even though what I was using was the recommended daily dosage. This is why supplements are not recommended during withdrawal.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  182 mg twice daily (364mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine / Ipratropium / Nasacort Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

I am wondering what the consensus is on the issue of electrolyte imbalances during withdrawal and Recovery. I will be talking to my doctor about this again and we will be trying to figure out if this is a withdrawal issue that can be managed and will pass or is it a current medication issue that requires starting a dose reduction. There is probably not much way to definitively tell between the two but any information about electrolyte imbalances during withdrawal especially hyponatremia would be great. Everyday I measure out 1700 mL of water and get the full 2000 ml a day between that and my food and I also add in 3000 mg a day of sodium as well as 700 mg of potassium chloride.

2. Carbamazepine IR  182 mg twice daily (364mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine / Ipratropium / Nasacort Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

3 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

Also thought people would want to know that during tapering and withdrawal what is said about developing strange reactions is definitely true. I have been having a lot of nerve pain that limited my ability to walk for the last few months and discovered that it was the protein powder I was supplementing with that was causing it. Whey protein powder contains a long list of amino acids including glycine which is a neurotransmitter Central to spinal cord function and L glutathione which is a precursor to glutamate which is one of the primary neurotransmitters in your central nervous system. Taking an excess of the two of those seems to have been interfering with nerve Transmission in my spinal cord. I stopped using it and the pain was greatly improved within 24 hours and I tried using a very small amount of it in the pain does not come back so I was apparently using too much even though what I was using was the recommended daily dosage. This is why supplements are not recommended during withdrawal.

I sent the same message to my primary care doctor and he seemed to think it makes sense as to the line of reasoning I used for why it was affecting me the way it did.

1 hour ago, FeralCatman said:

I am wondering what the consensus is on the issue of electrolyte imbalances during withdrawal and Recovery. I will be talking to my doctor about this again and we will be trying to figure out if this is a withdrawal issue that can be managed and will pass or is it a current medication issue that requires starting a dose reduction. There is probably not much way to definitively tell between the two but any information about electrolyte imbalances during withdrawal especially hyponatremia would be great. Everyday I measure out 1700 mL of water and get the full 2000 ml a day between that and my food and I also add in 3000 mg a day of sodium as well as 700 mg of potassium chloride.

I heard back from my primary care doctor and he seems to think it's okay to just continue to manage this as I have been for now and stay on course. He said to just pretty much go crazy with the salt on days where I will be working up a sweat and pay attention to the symptoms. That's really the best I can hope for I guess. I would still love any input anyone can offer on the subject of withdrawal and recovery and electrolyte imbalance.

I just posted the following information on the insomnia Topic in symptoms and self-care

UPDATE

A few days ago while I was working outside down in my field I got a bit dehydrated. Due to the low salt I got pretty nauseous later that day and it took me about 15 hours to restore the fluid electrolyte balance. This of course never used to be a problem for me so I have to assume it's just being sensitive due to the withdrawal recovery. Additionally I've been having a little trouble with my sinuses off and on with sinus pressure and sinus headaches and dizziness.

The dehydration triggered a wave which I am still going through and I will say the physical symptoms this time are not as bad it's more the emotional this time which I suppose is a good sign. Once again none of the really crazy stuff of last year is flaring up again which is also a good sign.

I finally found a good reference that shows what may be a good list of triggers for falling into a wave from the Cleveland Clinic and their posting on autonomic neuropathy or dysautonomia which of course what much of withdrawal and Post Acute withdrawal actually is. They list dehydration has one of the primary triggers for a flare-up in autonomic symptoms due to autonomic neuropathy and I thought people would like to see the link.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/6004-dysautonomia

You will notice that it also lists things like stress as a trigger along with alcohol and other things so it falls in line with most of the recommendations that you will find on Surviving antidepressants so if you are trying to figure something out, looking up autonomic neuropathy may help you figure out what you need to in your individual case if you're having trouble searching on this website.

On a separate note the nerve pain I was experiencing has continued to stay gone since I stopped the protein powder so it was definitely irritating things for some crazy reason.

Thank you again to everyone for posting everything that you do as I find it invaluable in navigating through all this. Your help is very much appreciated. 😉✌️😺😺

UPDATE

So, again, this wave is already passing. Once I got fully re-hydrated the symptoms abated. Also, the self care I've been doing for the sinus issues has worked. Saline nasal spray, my regular antihistamine and steroid nasal sprays, turning the humidifier in my bedroom back on at night, rest, hydration, warm compresses, aspirin, and 2 doses of Afrin. This cleared things up and today the pressure is gone and the dizziness is gone. The dehydration made things worse I am sure. So, outside of the sinus symptoms, this wave was again about 3.5 days which seems to be the average for a wave now, 2-3 days or rest and then I recover. The emotional symptoms were pretty bad this time but it was brief. Amazing the intensity that can come and go in such a short time. This followed 12 days of being active according to my records with the day that did me in being the day I got dehydrated. The 12 days included another 200mi+ cat mission as well a long trip to the VA and my therapist. So despite the bumps things are getting better. Also able to tolerate onion and garlic again with no issues as well as the ginger. Now that I figured out the nerve pain issues were due to the protein powder and they seem to be gone I can hopefully start up my walks again. Working on that by walking my property as I have a 1 mile route that I can walk without even leaving my property so I am starting with half of that. The project I did was my last heavy labor project so no more of that this summer other than mowing. If I am out in the heat I will carry a Camelbak pack with salted water in it to stay hydrated.  😁

UPDATE

Since it finally stopped raining and I was feeling better I decided to do some mowing yesterday and it turns out that was too much too soon because the anxiety came back and I only slept 2 hours last night so it was too much too soon so hopefully this condition won't last too long this time. Sunny cool weather will persist until Friday and Saturday it's going to get really hot so I'm going to try and finish mowing on Friday and it's actually the easy part because it's just sitting on a tractor. Very frustrating sometimes when you feel okay and try to do something and then it bites you in the ass but that does seem to be par for the course.

I just posted a few links that are specific to people who are tapering antipsychotics and am reposting them here as well to make them easier to find. 😉✌️😺😺

19 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

Very frustrating sometimes when you feel okay and try to do something and then it bites you in the ass but that does seem to be par for the course.

It's a disappointment for me, that's for sure!  I fully expect that I'll be fine, and then things go sideways in the mood department.   More motivation to get to zero.  

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

23 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

Very frustrating sometimes when you feel okay and try to do something and then it bites you in the ass but that does seem to be par for the course.

It definitely is. I have been working on acceptance. It seems to help quite a bit.

I think you are onto something regarding water. I wonder if I should make water intake part of my daily notes. Maybe hydration issues are connected to my waves, who knows.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

@PortugueseSea It's the fluid electrolyte balance in my case so I am finding it is not just the water but salt as well. My salt intake seems to have to be much higher at least for the moment to keep things working right.

UPDATE

So the roller coaster got a bit bumpier the last few days. Last night I had another almost normal night again. I slept in a 1.5 hour stretch then a 4.5 hour stretch and finally a 2.5 hour stretch and only had to pee twice. Big change from 10+ times a night. The number of nights like this seem to be trending upwards now. My fluid intake is unchanged but the urine volume is much lower and the concentration is higher which is normal. So, it seems that perhaps part of this recent set of ups and downs is another change being made to my body in the right direction that just happens to be a bit uncomfortable and nerve wracking just like all of the other changes have been. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

So the roller coaster got a bit bumpier the last few days. Last night I had another almost normal night again. I slept in a 1.5 hour stretch then a 4.5 hour stretch and finally a 2.5 hour stretch and only had to pee twice. Big change from 10+ times a night. The number of nights like this seem to be trending upwards now. My fluid intake is unchanged but the urine volume is much lower and the concentration is higher which is normal. So, it seems that perhaps part of this recent set of ups and downs is another change being made to my body in the right direction that just happens to be a bit uncomfortable and nerve wracking just like all of the other changes have been. Time will tell.

Sounds positive mate!

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

UPDATE

I figured out my electrolyte imbalance issue. Last September I started adding Potassium Chloride salt substitute to my electrolyte drink in the mornings. That was actually when my sodium levels started to drop according to the graph of my blood work on the lab website but it was still okay. This January I started eating a lot of high potassium vegetable snacks which raised my potassium levels even more and as a result my sodium levels dropped below the minimum creating an imbalance.

What I didn't understand was that in the human body sodium and potassium offset one another so if potassium goes up then sodium goes down and vice versa. They are oppositional not complementary.

So, due to the WD induced nocturia and increased urination and resulting difficulty in maintaining a fluid / electrolyte balance during recovery, the increase in potassium was driving my sodium levels down. Increasing salt intake didn't help much while adding the Potassium Chloride salt substitute even though it was a relatively small amount. In doing what should have been helpful and probably would have been helpful in a fully healthy person I was setting up the perfect storm by supplementing a small amount of potassium. Who knew??

This recent episode of low sodium illness was because I was sweating and when you sweat you mostly lose sodium. Since it was already borderline low that was enough to drive it down and make me sick. So, now we'll see what happens when I am no longer adding the Potassium Chloride salt substitute. According to the graphs of my blood work from last summer before I started the potassium salt substitute this should do the trick. I just talked to my PCP and they agree with all of this so I have MD confirmation of this information. Thought people would want to know this for their own benefit and protection.

In addition to the withdrawal issues causing imbalances, psychiatric medications in general are known to cause problems with electrolyte imbalances and low sodium (Hyponatremia) so my ability to balance things out is already compromised and makes me more vulnerable to this problem.

Also, low sodium is far more dangerous and easy to achieve than low potassium so by removing the extra potassium and still adding extra salt I should be fine from this point forward.

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

I figured out my electrolyte imbalance issue. Last September I started adding Potassium Chloride salt substitute to my electrolyte drink in the mornings. That was actually when my sodium levels started to drop according to the graph of my blood work on the lab website but it was still okay. This January I started eating a lot of high potassium vegetable snacks which raised my potassium levels even more and as a result my sodium levels dropped below the minimum creating an imbalance.

What I didn't understand was that in the human body sodium and potassium offset one another so if potassium goes up then sodium goes down and vice versa. They are oppositional not complementary.

So, due to the WD induced nocturia and increased urination and resulting difficulty in maintaining a fluid / electrolyte balance during recovery, the increase in potassium was driving my sodium levels down. Increasing salt intake didn't help much while adding the Potassium Chloride salt substitute even though it was a relatively small amount. In doing what should have been helpful and probably would have been helpful in a fully healthy person I was setting up the perfect storm by supplementing a small amount of potassium. Who knew??

This recent episode of low sodium illness was because I was sweating and when you sweat you mostly lose sodium. Since it was already borderline low that was enough to drive it down and make me sick. So, now we'll see what happens when I am no longer adding the Potassium Chloride salt substitute. According to the graphs of my blood work from last summer before I started the potassium salt substitute this should do the trick. I just talked to my PCP and they agree with all of this so I have MD confirmation of this information. Thought people would want to know this for their own benefit and protection.

In addition to the withdrawal issues causing imbalances, psychiatric medications in general are known to cause problems with electrolyte imbalances and low sodium (Hyponatremia) so my ability to balance things out is already compromised and makes me more vulnerable to this problem.

Also, low sodium is far more dangerous and easy to achieve than low potassium so by removing the extra potassium and still adding extra salt I should be fine from this point forward.

You always impress me with your insight and proactiveness.  We are forced to become our own doctors in treating ourselves during withdrawal.  I was actually taking an electrolyte powder on a regular basis and it triggered horrible withdrawal symptoms.  Gonna lay off that from now on; I should have known better!  But you're right, balancing our electrolytes is an important but sometimes tricky process!

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)  |   5/1:  (-21 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

So despite a couple of days extra of misery from this last flare up of symptoms I have definitely now recovered and tonight I was able to sit outside after Dark to watch the fireflies and listen to the wood thrushes singing. Last Summer  I was too sick to do this I could never manage to stay up late enough to sit outside and listen. I thought everyone would like to hear them so here is a link to a video of Wood Thrush's singing 😀

I couldn't find a video with both wood thrushes and fireflies so here is a nice separate one with fireflies.😀

On my phone both of these videos will play at the same time so you can almost get the same experience that I had tonight. ✌️

heh that's exactly what I did, played them both and it was perfect.   Sounds like time well spent, my friend!   

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

6 hours ago, j1290 said:

heh that's exactly what I did, played them both and it was perfect.   Sounds like time well spent, my friend!   

Definitely time well spent. Later on I just couldn't resist putting on my boots and taking walk around my property in the dark. I really miss being out in the dark at night. To be able to do that the day after the Summer solstice when the days are at their longest felt like an enormous victory. Last Summer it was heartbreaking when I couldn't go out at night and walk around in the dark with the critters and fireflies. Last night gave me hope that the days of night hiking aren't as far away as I think. This is especially true because last night I was still able to get 7 hours total of sleep. Once the nocturia is gone I think things will accelerate quickly for me after that. From the time I jumped off the Seroquel it has taken 1 year 10 months and 22 days (22 months 22 days - hmmmm........2 may be my magic number) to get to this point. 😁✌️😺😺

11 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

Definitely time well spent. Later on I just couldn't resist putting on my boots and taking walk around my property in the dark. I really miss being out in the dark at night. To be able to do that the day after the Summer solstice when the days are at their longest felt like an enormous victory. Last Summer it was heartbreaking when I couldn't go out at night and walk around in the dark with the critters and fireflies. Last night gave me hope that the days of night hiking aren't as far away as I think. This is especially true because last night I was still able to get 7 hours total of sleep. Once the nocturia is gone I think things will accelerate quickly for me after that. From the time I jumped off the Seroquel it has taken 1 year 10 months and 22 days (22 months 22 days - hmmmm........2 may be my magic number) to get to this point. 😁✌️😺😺

This post sure gives me hope! I'm happy for you.

Dropped 10% to 225mg-2/3/22. 200mg XR 2/19/23, 180 XRmg 3/20/23, 162 XRmg 4/25/23, 150 XR 5/25/23, 7/31/23 137.5mg XR & IR, 9/4/23 125mg (100mg XR,25mg IR)  9/21/23, (100mg XR, 12.5mg IR) 10/28/23, (100mg XR) 11/19/23, (50mg XR, 50mg IR) 12/8/23, (50mg XR, 42mg IR) 1/1/24, 82.8mg 2/7/24, 75mg 2/22/24, 67.5mg 3/22/24, 61mg 5/6/24.

Supplements- Magnesium Glycinate 420mg, 1000mg fish oil twice daily, 268.5 vitamin E.

UPDATE

Last night I was able to be out with the fire flies again. 2 nights in a row. Sat down in the garden in my field. Saw a pregnant doe walk into the grass to hunker down and have her baby. Last night I only slept 6.5 hours but 4.5 hours of that was straight through. I am getting more nights like this so something is definitely changing for the better. 😁✌️😺😺

• Mentor

UPDATE

Last night I was able to be out with the fire flies again. 2 nights in a row. Sat down in the garden in my field. Saw a pregnant doe walk into the grass to hunker down and have her baby. Last night I only slept 6.5 hours but 4.5 hours of that was straight through. I am getting more nights like this so something is definitely changing for the better. 😁✌️😺😺

Sooo happy for you!  🥰

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)  |   5/1:  (-21 beads)

@Catina7 Thank you. Hoping the trend continues.

UPDATE

Never in my life that I think I would be posting urinary habits online but such a great thing happened last night I just have to.  The first mention of the urinary issues and the nocturia was on December 14th of 2021. This is about when all kinds of other severe withdrawals symptoms also kicked into high gear. The nocturia and urinary issues have been the most persistent daily symptom I have had this whole time. Last night I was only interrupted once after sleeping for 2 hours then I slept another 4.5 hours staight through. I woke up the first time to pee but the second time was due to a dream not because I had to pee. I was so shocked and excited by this event that I had trouble going back to sleep but I finally ended up getting another hours worth of sleep later on and didn't actually have to pee again until about 5:30 this morning so that was the first completely normal night that I have had since it started. It took 1 year 6 months and 11 days (18 months 11 days) for this to happen. Also yesterday when I did grocery shopping I got a very small jar of mayonnaise and tested a small amount of that and I did not have the violent reaction to it that I did a year and a half ago so that was the last of my food reactions that I finally tested and they are all gone. Miracles do happen 😁✌️😻😻

14 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

Never in my life that I think I would be posting urinary habits online but such a great thing happened last night I just have to.  The first mention of the urinary issues and the nocturia was on December 14th of 2021. This is about when all kinds of other severe withdrawals symptoms also kicked into high gear. The nocturia and urinary issues have been the most persistent daily symptom I have had this whole time. Last night I was only interrupted once after sleeping for 2 hours then I slept another 4.5 hours staight through. I woke up the first time to pee but the second time was due to a dream not because I had to pee. I was so shocked and excited by this event that I had trouble going back to sleep but I finally ended up getting another hours worth of sleep later on and didn't actually have to pee again until about 5:30 this morning so that was the first completely normal night that I have had since it started. It took 1 year 6 months and 11 days (18 months 11 days) for this to happen. Also yesterday when I did grocery shopping I got a very small jar of mayonnaise and tested a small amount of that and I did not have the violent reaction to it that I did a year and a half ago so that was the last of my food reactions that I finally tested and they are all gone. Miracles do happen 😁✌️😻😻

UPDATE

I should add that since I jumped off the Seroquel on August 1st 2021 it has been 1 year 10 months and 25 days (22 months 25 days).

One last thing to note is that this Nocturia issue was very disruptive. Until recently it pretty consistently was forcing me awake 8-10 times a night, sometimes more, and on many nights it was accompanied by adrenaline surges as well each time I woke up. Really sucks and makes getting rested impossible.

• Mentor

We're all family here, so we understand the excitement with your urinary situation lol!  Glad things are improving for you.  You deserve some relief, and those kitties need you!!!  😻

9 hours ago, FeralCatman said:

UPDATE

I should add that since I jumped off the Seroquel on August 1st 2021 it has been 1 year 10 months and 25 days (22 months 25 days).

That's a long haul to get to a point where you start to feel "normal". It's also great news! Healing can happen. Again, very happy and excited for you. Enjoy your peace.

Dropped 10% to 225mg-2/3/22. 200mg XR 2/19/23, 180 XRmg 3/20/23, 162 XRmg 4/25/23, 150 XR 5/25/23, 7/31/23 137.5mg XR & IR, 9/4/23 125mg (100mg XR,25mg IR)  9/21/23, (100mg XR, 12.5mg IR) 10/28/23, (100mg XR) 11/19/23, (50mg XR, 50mg IR) 12/8/23, (50mg XR, 42mg IR) 1/1/24, 82.8mg 2/7/24, 75mg 2/22/24, 67.5mg 3/22/24, 61mg 5/6/24.

Supplements- Magnesium Glycinate 420mg, 1000mg fish oil twice daily, 268.5 vitamin E.

On 6/23/2023 at 11:24 AM, FeralCatman said:

So despite a couple of days extra of misery from this last flare up of symptoms I have definitely now recovered and tonight I was able to sit outside after Dark to watch the fireflies and listen to the wood thrushes singing. Last Summer  I was too sick to do this I could never manage to stay up late enough to sit outside and listen. I thought everyone would like to hear them so here is a link to a video of Wood Thrush's singing 😀

I couldn't find a video with both wood thrushes and fireflies so here is a nice separate one with fireflies.😀

On my phone both of these videos will play at the same time so you can almost get the same experience that I had tonight. ✌️

Long held dream of mine is to experience fireflies in all their glory. They look amazing!

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

I have mentioned several times on my thread about changes in my EKG occurring over time. While still on the Seroquel I had developed a bundle branch block and early re polarization indicated by EKG. This is an indication of issues with the nerves in my heart which can result in a heart attack and sudden cardiac death. It increases the risks and is a sign of nerve damage. The bundle branch block is gone. Now every day when I take my EKG at home I am watching the ST segment of the tracing slowly flattening and lengthening and returning to normal so the early re polarization is also fading away right before my eyes. Additionally, a couple of years ago I had a nuclear stress test which found some calcification on my Aorta. I just had a cardiac CT scan to check up on it and there is now no sign of it. I received a calcium score of Zero which my PCP said is unheard of for someone my age. I also had a Carotid Ultrasound and my arteries are clean as a whistle. All signs of resilience and healing. Amazing after so many years of chemical abuse. Healing is happening. 😁✌️😺😺

I have mentioned several times on my thread about changes in my EKG occurring over time. While still on the Seroquel I had developed a bundle branch block and early re polarization indicated by EKG. This is an indication of issues with the nerves in my heart which can result in a heart attack and sudden cardiac death. It increases the risks and is a sign of nerve damage. The bundle branch block is gone. Now every day when I take my EKG at home I am watching the ST segment of the tracing slowly flattening and lengthening and returning to normal so the early re polarization is also fading away right before my eyes. Additionally, a couple of years ago I had a nuclear stress test which found some calcification on my Aorta. I just had a cardiac CT scan to check up on it and there is now no sign of it. I received a calcium score of Zero which my PCP said is unheard of for someone my age. I also had a Carotid Ultrasound and my arteries are clean as a whistle. All signs of resilience and healing. Amazing after so many years of chemical abuse. Healing is happening. 😁✌️😺😺

That is fascinating! If you tell this to some doctor about your ekg's, they will probably call you a liar. Abou your Carotid, were there something before?

2015-2016: Lexapro > Zoloft >  Paroxetine

2016-2018: Quetiapine XR 150mg > 100mg > 50mg + Depakote > Lithum Depakote > Lamotrigine > Quetiapine XR 100 + Amisulpride 100mg

2019-2020: Quetiapine XR  50mg

Apr 2021: 300mg of Quetiapine (prescription error)

Mai-Jul 2021. Quetiapine 50mg + Amisulpride 25mg + Olanzapine 1.25mg + Clonazepam 1mg

Sep 2021:  Quetiapine 50mg + Amisulpride 25mg + Olanzapine 0.9325mg + Clonazepam 0mg

Oct 2021 - Feb 2022: Quetiapine XR 50mg + Amisulpride 25mg + Olanzapine 0.625mg > 0.3125mg > 0.2865mg > 0.1563 > 0.000mg

Feb-Sep 2022: Quetiapine XR 50mg + Amisulpride 25mg > 20.0mg > 18.75mg > 10.0mg > 7.5mg > 5.83mg > 3.75mg > 2.5mg > 1.25mg > 0.41mg > 0.00mg

Sep-Dec 2022: Quetiapine XR 50mg (stopped metoprolol succinate)

Jan-Jul 2023: Quetiapine XR 50mg

Jul 2023: Quetiapine IR 50mg

Jan-Apr 2024: Quetiapine 25mg > 18mg

1 hour ago, snowdog said:

That is fascinating! If you tell this to some doctor about your ekg's, they will probably call you a liar. Abou your Carotid, were there something before?

@snowdog I am lucky to have a good team of providers now and they absolutely do believe what is being seen on the EKGs was drug related. Other providers that I have seen have of course blamed all of it on diet and lack of exercise and Diabetes and thyroid and bad habits etc etc and failed to account for the fact that the medications were causing all of the problems. The nuclear stress test was the only test I have had that showed some damage so this recent cardiac CT shows that damage is gone however I had never had a carotid ultrasound done before so I don't know if there was plaque buildup or not previously.  However, considering the medication load I have carried over many years and the fact I used to eat a horrible diet and used to drink and smoked for 17 years it's practically a miracle to see something come out that good.

BIG UPDATE

Last night I had symptoms of low sodium (hyponatremia) from having done some work outside and working up a mild sweat. Nausea, headache, and weakness. My sodium was 129. Normal is 135. So, even what I have done with increasing salt is not enough on a day I am busy with something. My PCP feels that this is due to the Carbamazepine. Met with my nutritionist today and went over everything and this is not dietary or over hydration. I posted this issue on the Outro Health library and they replied that they have never seen this issue crop up as a result of withdrawal or PAWS but they have seen it happen due to medications. Waiting to hear from my psych provider but I will be tapering the Carbamazepine as soon as I get the prescriptions to do the cross over from XR to IR. Since this is now a medical issue which can become dangerous there is urgency in this situation. Not how I wanted this to go but my body obviously doesn't want this stuff any more so it's time to go.

So, this is the end of the Seroquel Saga. Due to the hyponatremia I have to start tapering again ASAP. I am as recovered as I am going to get as far as the Seroquel is concerned so I am going to call it at this point. Here is the time it took to get to this point of Seroquel recovery.

Tapering from 700mg started on 04/01/2018.

Tapering took 3 years and 4 months

Recovery thus far has taken 1 year 10 months and 28 days ( 22 months 28 days)

Total time:  5 years 2 months and 28 days

I have to admit I am a bit frightened right now but what can you do. When the body speaks I listen.

Onward and upward and hopefully this doesn't turn out to be too bad and hopefully this problem doesn't progress to needing to be in the hospital and another cold turkey withdrawal. Trying to avoid that if possible.

Tegretol (Carbamazepine Tapering Plan)

The smallest dose of XR comes in 100 mg so I will be doing the following:

Week 1:  100mg XR and 100mg IR at night     - and-  200mg XR in the mornings

Week 2:  100mg XR and 100mg IR both at night and in the morning.

Week 3:  200mg IR at night   - and - 100mg XR and 100mg IR in the morning.

Week 4: 200mg IR twice daily

Week 5: Start tapering at 10% per week

• Mentor

I wish you all the best on your next taper.  You've worked so hard to get where you are and we're all rooting for you!  😺

I heard back from my primary care doctor about the plan I worked out with my nutritionist to try and deal with the low sodium issue and thought people would be interested to see the details in case you ever need it for yourself you will have a place to start.

Just got done with the nutritionist. She helped me crunch some numbers. We figured out that on non active days I seem to be fine with about 3500mg of sodium daily. However, on active days like yesterday we figured out, based on my intake yesterday including the IV fluids my intake needs to be between 5000mg - 7000mg achieved by drinking an isotonic solution of 1.5 liters of water with 13.5 g salt added (9g salt / liter of water which is the same as standard saline). Daily fluids right now are 1500ml of water plus what is in my food for a total of about 2000ml. So I am just going to adjust salt intake without adding fluids. Are you okay with this plan??

Dr. *********

(57 minutes ago)

Yes sir. Should be able to see rather quickly if it is going to be effective.