uwuthot: advise needed - Prozac and Remeron

uwuthot

So in September this year I started fluoxetine 20mgpd with little to no side effects. After a couple of months on that I started having trouble sleeping (waking up too early) and my depression started coming back so my doctor put me additionally on mirtazapine (15mgpd). I thought it worked great, I've been consistently sleeping for 10+h every night and I've never been this rested before.

Then last night my partner told me when I took my mirtazapine that it's made me behave differently in a negative way, essentially just generally not having been as nice to her as I was before starting the mirtazapine. I had never noticed this and it's a bit scary to me since the last thing I want is for her to be hurt in any of this.

So this all made me think of discontinuing the antidepressants and seeing what would happen but I've seen examples of people stopping their meds and feeling like utter crap because of it, so kind of wanted to ask for advise regarding this. Can mirtazapine affect me in this way, and would it be safe for me to quit my meds? I'm initially thinking of stopping fluoxetine since a withdrawal symptom could be sleeplessness and mirtazapine helps with that, and then stop both of them.

Thanks in advance :3

Sep 2021 Fluoxetine, Concerta 

Nov 2021 Mirtazapine

• ChessieCat changed the title to uwuthot: advise needed - Prozac and Remeron

Hi @uwuthot

And welcome to SA. 

I'm sorry you are going through this, but you came to the right place.

This is your page where you can ask questions, make comments and talk with other members. Please only use this page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Thank you for creating your signature, however, can you please edit it to show the mg of each of the medications you are currently taking, example Fluoxetine 20 mg.  Thank you so much.

Are you currently taking Concerta? You just didn't mention it in your introduction. If you are, can you please put the mg on that also? If you aren't, please put the date started and ended (estimated).

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I will give you some information on how to taper off these medications.

Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

tips-for-tapering-off-mirtazapine-remeron

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Drug.com Interactions Checker

Brain Remodelling

Irritability, Anger, Rage

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

I have never taken Remeron (Mirtazapine) personally, but I did a google search on it and it did say it can cause irritability.  

I've given you quite a few things to read. Once you are done, please feel free to reach out to us to answer any questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.